Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
I'm in Sydney, Australia, and my solar break even point was ~5years, which is tracked via my solar monitoring system (it tracks generated, used, imported and exported). 6.5kW system, $7k install, 10c/kWh feed in tariff, 34c/kWh use tariff. It did help that I run a 1.5kW pool pump every day for 5 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I pulled two lines of Cat 6 from my office on the second floor down to the basement. It was as involved as I expected it to be, lots of climbing into the attic, pulling some wire, pulling through to the next floor, pulling down to the basement and then repeating until I had enough cable. It all went well until one of the last few steps, the keyhole mounting plate broke when I put the jacks in them. So they're here they are just loose AF and will definitely fall into the wall. So that's great.

Otherwise very happy to have my computer hard wired into the network again, and internet speeds are a bit better too.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Should have run fiber

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

StormDrain posted:

I pulled two lines of Cat 6 from my office on the second floor down to the basement. It was as involved as I expected it to be, lots of climbing into the attic, pulling some wire, pulling through to the next floor, pulling down to the basement and then repeating until I had enough cable. It all went well until one of the last few steps, the keyhole mounting plate broke when I put the jacks in them. So they're here they are just loose AF and will definitely fall into the wall. So that's great.

Otherwise very happy to have my computer hard wired into the network again, and internet speeds are a bit better too.

I did that when we bought the house, it was great for four years. Then my office became the nursery, and my workspace moved to the basement. At least running it the second time was just via drop ceiling.

When doing the office run, I figured out that the office closet was above a downstairs wall, and with some careful measuring drilled through the top and bottom plates well enough to easily get the wire.

WiFi now is a lot better, but it's still nice to occasionally see the download try to max out the gigabit connection.

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005
We ran a humidifier in one of the bedrooms for a few weeks because one of the kids was sick and the doctor recommended a humidifier could help with their cough.

Went to open the window the other day and I noticed a lot of condensation and a little bit of mold. Took the curtain down, bought a mold spray, put on a mask and gloves and sprayed and wiped a few times. Went back the next day and did the same thing.

The other rooms and bedrooms are fine. I don’t suspect a leak.

Is there anything else recommended for this type of situation? We’ve never dealt with mold before.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

George Wright posted:

We ran a humidifier in one of the bedrooms for a few weeks because one of the kids was sick and the doctor recommended a humidifier could help with their cough.

Went to open the window the other day and I noticed a lot of condensation and a little bit of mold. Took the curtain down, bought a mold spray, put on a mask and gloves and sprayed and wiped a few times. Went back the next day and did the same thing.

The other rooms and bedrooms are fine. I don’t suspect a leak.

Is there anything else recommended for this type of situation? We’ve never dealt with mold before.

The humidifier is turned up way too high. That's simply what happens.

How much humidity you can put into your conditioned home has everything to do with how good your windows are and how cold it is outside.

Are far as dealing with the mold simply wipe it up. It's not dry, it's not gonna end up airborne when it's been cleaned. It's really that simple. Feel free to use normal household cleaners. This is not the kind of mold to freak out about.

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005

Motronic posted:

The humidifier is turned up way too high. That's simply what happens.

How much humidity you can put into your conditioned home has everything to do with how good your windows are and how cold it is outside.

Are far as dealing with the mold simply wipe it up. It's not dry, it's not gonna end up airborne when it's been cleaned. It's really that simple. Feel free to use normal household cleaners. This is not the kind of mold to freak out about.

Great - thank you. I appreciate the info.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Can you elaborate on the mold that is the kind to freak out about?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Steve French posted:

Things you don't find and are able to clean up when it's still wet. Things in hidden places/places you don't regularly look that get moldy and then dry out so it can aerosolize and spread all over your home with air movement and now you are breathing it.

Mold is gonna happen. It's gonna happen in your tub/shower. It's gonna happen in your sinks. It's just a thing that happens. It has to get to a point where there's enough of it for you to see it before you know, but it's in all of those places and more already. It's not really a problem until it dries out and you're breathing it. I mean, under normal circumstances found in a maintained home.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

Things you don't find and are able to clean up when it's still wet. Things in hidden places/places you don't regularly look that get moldy and then dry out so it can aerosolize and spread all over your home with air movement and now you are breathing it.

Mold is gonna happen. It's gonna happen in your tub/shower. It's gonna happen in your sinks. It's just a thing that happens. It has to get to a point where there's enough of it for you to see it before you know, but it's in all of those places and more already. It's not really a problem until it dries out and you're breathing it. I mean, under normal circumstances found in a maintained home.

Thanks for that, very helpful.

Unrelated, is this the appropriate place to grumble about waking up to this after clearing things completely before going to bed the night before? I got it taken care of, but dang.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jealous of that snow blower on tracks. I just have lovely tires.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Having just gone through that same song and dance a couple weeks ago with 15"+ over 3-4 days, I'm very envious of that tracked snowblower. Wrangling around a late 90's Simplicity is a loving chore, but at least it'll clear snow up to the top of the auger housing without much fuss. Having to pin both wheels to the drive axle to keep it moving just means a lot of work on the turns.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The first deep snow of the season is magic. The second is pretty nice. All after that are unadulterated hell.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

It was pricey (and this size doesn’t even have wheels as an option), but I figured worth it as it was “replacing” paying a snow removal service over $1k/season, with no guarantee that the snow (and most importantly the berm) would be clear when I needed it to be. And driveway is 100+ feet long, so while it’s flat and I don’t need the traction of the tracks that much, I wanted to be able to get it done quickly.

What hadn’t occurred to me about the wheeled models until now, and what I would miss a lot, is the adjustable auger height you get with the tracked models. At least 90% of people with snowblowers here have a tracked Honda of some variety. I’m on the less snowy side of town and I haven’t measured consistently but I’d guess we’ve had 150-200 inches so far this winter.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Steve French posted:

In a word: none.

If you have COPD or other pulmonary issues: it’s an airborne irritant, and in extremely rare circumstances, that irritation can trigger a vast over-response of your bodies’ defensive mechanisms.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The first deep snow of the season is magic. The second is pretty nice. All after that are unadulterated hell.

The worst is when the snowblower doesn't work and you got a shitload of snow you need cleared.

Last snow it was acting weird as heck, engine was basically either racing or barely going and it wasn't able to idle properly. Had to keep fiddling with the throttle and the carb air intake both and getting it to run it was a PITA but I got through it that time. I dunno what happened, a few days later when we had above freezing weather I went to take a look at it and see what was the problem so I started it up and it acted just fine again. I wonder if the constant cycling of thaw and freeze we've had might've been the problem.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My neighbors snowblower always dumps a ton of snow on my walkway when he does his driveway, so he clears my walkway too. Win-win

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have a lovely driveway to clear, large parts of it there are buildings on both sides, or a car or two. And it's not a straight path so I'm going to and fro and a lof of the time there's no good place to throw the snow so I gotta throw it right ahead.

I also dislike that I have to keep two handles depressed to keep the thing moving and throwing. Technically you can use just one hand on the clutch but in practice it doesn't work. Slighest tiniest slip and the auger stops. And you gotta hold it down real hard, my hands always start hurting halfway through.

I looked at this video of an old Ariens or Gilson and that thing moves on it's own. Less safe to not have dead mans switches but ooh it looks so nice....

In the end I wonder if a snowblower is for me or if I should have had a plow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

In a word: none.

If you have COPD or other pulmonary issues: it’s an airborne irritant, and in extremely rare circumstances, that irritation can trigger a vast over-response of your bodies’ defensive mechanisms.

I didn't want to go this far because I didn't want the fight that will result, but this is objectively the correct answer. Mold is yet another thing that got trumped up with solutions looking for problems/your money and a ton of people Munchausen-ing themselves into feeling sick.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's pretty easy to get under my wood plank deck (which sits maybe 5 feet high) from the side yard, and there's a ton of space under there. I'm thinking of just hanging a tarp down there, making sure to have a slight incline so rainwater escapes, then using the space to store a few outdoor things - maybe some plastic sleds, some cedar lumber. Is this a bad idea? Would it be better to actually construct a little gazebo with a long sloped roof?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Naw I did the same thing, but I used corrugated plastic from home depot under the deck, and then walled the sides in with leftover fence. When I re-do the deck in a year or two I'm going to replace the corrugated plastic with https://trexrainescape.com/ because I'll be taking the boards up anyways.

Panels

Fence (and chicken coop)

Railing

Its now my combination garden shed and lumber storage, as well as where I keep the chicken things. Can't really see it very well but I did add strips of 2x4 below the deck joists to angle the plastic down towards the door, and put up a gutter system to funnel it outside the shed.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 16, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That chicken door is adorable, thank you for sharing these

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mustache Ride posted:

Naw I did the same thing, but I used corrugated plastic from home depot under the deck, and then walled the sides in with leftover fence. When I re-do the deck in a year or two I'm going to replace the corrugated plastic with https://trexrainescape.com/ because I'll be taking the boards up anyways.

Panels

Fence (and chicken coop)

Railing

Its now my combination garden shed and lumber storage, as well as where I keep the chicken things. Can't really see it very well but I did add strips of 2x4 below the deck joists to angle the plastic down towards the door, and put up a gutter system to funnel it outside the shed.

Doesn’t the coop smell? Or do you only have a couple birds

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Motronic posted:

I didn't want to go this far because I didn't want the fight that will result, but this is objectively the correct answer. Mold is yet another thing that got trumped up with solutions looking for problems/your money and a ton of people Munchausen-ing themselves into feeling sick.
That being said, long term exposure to it can cause some hypersensitivity. I did flood remediation for years without a mask because I'm an idiot, and while mold didn't bother me for the bulk of that time, towards the end I started getting really sensitive to it. I get real short of breath now in moldy/musty areas. Took me awhile towards the end of my remediation career to piece together why I felt like absolute dog poo poo on some jobs and not others.

Who knows what other fun lung irritants I exposed myself to in that time. Wear masks, folks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slugworth posted:

That being said, long term exposure to it can cause some hypersensitivity. I did flood remediation for years without a mask because I'm an idiot, and while mold didn't bother me for the bulk of that time, towards the end I started getting really sensitive to it. I get real short of breath now in moldy/musty areas. Took me awhile towards the end of my remediation career to piece together why I felt like absolute dog poo poo on some jobs and not others.

Who knows what other fun lung irritants I exposed myself to in that time. Wear masks, folks.

Yeah, if you're constantly disturbing it and working in it daily it's no good. Same thing happened to me after years of throwing hay. Now I've got a respiratory and contact allergy to it. That's what you get for your $0.25/bale loading barns to the rafters.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My brother-in-law's roof did this. He says he can't get to that part of the attic to see it. He's got a roofer coming out but just wondering what this could be.

Looks like.. a popped rafter for lack of a better term.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 17, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Well that looks expensive.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Is it just me, or do other parts of the roof besides the obvious tumor look wavy too? Something about the way the shingles sit doesn't look right, but I'm an idiot and don't really have the vocab to describe what it is I think I'm seeing.

Look directly straight down from the tumor and there's a good patch of what I think I'm seeing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And up against the chimney. The sheet stock under that whole section is no longer properly supported. So yeah......not good.

I'm guessing Mc/development house with nailer plate premade truss construction and the nailer plates are failing and falling off.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is it just me, or do other parts of the roof besides the obvious tumor look wavy too? Something about the way the shingles sit doesn't look right, but I'm an idiot and don't really have the vocab to describe what it is I think I'm seeing.

Look directly straight down from the tumor and there's a good patch of what I think I'm seeing.

Yep we noticed the same thing too.

Knew they shouldn't have bought that house. Totally felt like Jimmy "I-ain't-never-built-no-house-before" used it as his practice build while the rest of the builders did the rest of the neighborhood. The inside has some... questionable design decisions including a floor made from bricks. Like... clay bricks. Just a wall laid on its side and made a floor.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My guess is purlin brace popped off a strongback.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You made those words up.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You made those words up.

Lol my thoughts exactly. But yeah looking it up I bet that's exactly what happened.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'm guessing they're using a Donnelly nut spacing and cracked system rim-riding grip configuration. I'd recommend a field of half-C sprats, and brass-fitted nickel slits, bracketed caps and splay-flexed brace columns vent dampers to dampening hatch depths of one-half meter from the damper crown to the spurve plinths. Then you need to bolster twelve husked nuts to each girdle-jerry, while flex tandems press a task apparatus of ten vertically composited patch-hamplers. Finally, pin flam-fastened pan traps at both maiden-apexes of the jim-joist.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'm glad I'm not crazy, because I looked at that picture and my initial reaction was "what the gently caress is wrong with all those shingles" before I even noticed the, uh, tumor.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Motronic posted:

Well that looks expensive.

Was my first thought too. drat.

What part of the country are they in? I.e., what type of weather is that roof exposed to.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I'm guessing they're using a Donnelly nut spacing and cracked system rim-riding grip configuration. I'd recommend a field of half-C sprats, and brass-fitted nickel slits, bracketed caps and splay-flexed brace columns vent dampers to dampening hatch depths of one-half meter from the damper crown to the spurve plinths. Then you need to bolster twelve husked nuts to each girdle-jerry, while flex tandems press a task apparatus of ten vertically composited patch-hamplers. Finally, pin flam-fastened pan traps at both maiden-apexes of the jim-joist.

You are being kind of vague. How many flex tandems are required for a task apparatus of ten vertically composited patch-hamplers?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I had that happen at my house! Turned out our roof had two layer of sheathing, and the upper layer had warped and popped free. It was baffling because the sheathing you could see in the attic looked great.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Douche4Sale posted:

Was my first thought too. drat.

What part of the country are they in? I.e., what type of weather is that roof exposed to.

Jackson Mississippi so tons of storms and a famously fluid clay area. Literally every house has some sort of foundation problem too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Ah so it's a Rockwell pre-fab roof. Makes sense