Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Filthy Haiku posted:

I've gotten in pretty late on this gen but both VGC and singles look pretty weird. I'm pleased tera didn't get banned though. I got my monkey paw wish of buffs for Galade and Murkrow at least.

What's the deal with Murkrow, anyway? I've seen it mentioned a few times that it has a niche in competitive this gen but haven't looked into it further. I assume it's prankster related?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

If a type is strong against something and also resists it, I can just about remember that. If you split it up in weird ways I begin to get lost.

So like I can remember that Dark resists Fighting because Fighting is strong against Dark.

But Dark is weak to Bug? Really? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that there are viable bug type attacking moves, and now you're telling me dark types have to watch out for them?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eiba posted:

If a type is strong against something and also resists it, I can just about remember that. If you split it up in weird ways I begin to get lost.

So like I can remember that Dark resists Fighting because Fighting is strong against Dark.

But Dark is weak to Bug? Really? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that there are viable bug type attacking moves, and now you're telling me dark types have to watch out for them?

That’s always been the case, yes (and the reason is because of Kamen Rider, I’m not kidding)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Larryb posted:

Dark is strong against (as well as immune to) Psychic and weak to Bug, that’s about all I remember

Bug is strong against Dark??? Lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It feels like only in the past couple games have there been good Bug moves right? Like u turn and Bug buzz, I don't remember those from the older games

I can remember that Fairy and Fighting beat Dark because it's kinda like "good guys beat bad guys"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they need to buff grass

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bug-types started to get something resembling respect from Game Freak in Gen 5.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

precision posted:

Bug is strong against Dark??? Lmao

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Dark_(type)

As I said above, the reason is literally because of the Kamen Rider franchise (bug themed superheroes that fight evil)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

goatse was taken

Edit: This will generate a pokemon from a name/text.

https://replicate.com/lambdal/text-to-pokemon

Dienes fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 16, 2023

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Bug is easy to remember- just imagine gamefreak flipping off your bug typing at all times and you'll have a good idea what your matchups are like. :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Filthy Haiku posted:

Bug is easy to remember- just imagine gamefreak flipping off your bug typing at all times and you'll have a good idea what your matchups are like. :v:

To be fair Gen 7 and 9 had some decent Bugs at least (and Butterfee’s still not exactly terrible) but yeah, as far as typings go it’s one of the worst unfortunately

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 16, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Game Freaks idea of buffing Bug was "let's make some Electric/Bug types"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pouring one out for all the Butterfrees and Butterfree Types that I get early in every game and swear I'll use all game but that end up getting benched around level 20

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

precision posted:

Game Freaks idea of buffing Bug was "let's make some Electric/Bug types"
Hey, Leech Life is a legitimate move now that it's 80 BP instead of 20 (and still heals half damage dealt)

like it's still a little short of good, but I could see situations where I would ever want to have it on a mon

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm almost done with my dex, and just need the 4 legendaries now. I caught the ice one second, and it has a 0 in its speed stat. The thing it's supposed to excel in as a legendary. I legitimately get a cursed trainer ID in every game, I swear.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

precision posted:

Hands up if you been playing these games for literally 25 years and you still can't ever remember type matchups other than "fire burns grass" and other obvious ones

I literally could not tell you anything about Ice typing. Oh wait, isn't Ice weak against Fighting? I remember that because it's like, have you ever karate chopped an ice cube? Exactly

I remember all of them, with great ease.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Dienes posted:

goatse was taken

Edit: This will generate a pokemon from a name/text.

https://replicate.com/lambdal/text-to-pokemon

Great my username looks like the child Kangaskhan is embarrassed about.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

precision posted:

Pouring one out for all the Butterfrees and Butterfree Types that I get early in every game and swear I'll use all game but that end up getting benched around level 20

I used Handsome Lad the Ribombee in Gen 7 and then Turbolover the Vivillon in Gen 6 last year beating Ultra Sun and X in full. it was a blast! also idk about anybody else but personally I found that Gen 6 holds up way more than I had expected, esp in the writing dept

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh yeah I think I took a Ribombee all the way to the end also. That guy was a real murder machine

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Cattail Prophet posted:

What's the deal with Murkrow, anyway? I've seen it mentioned a few times that it has a niche in competitive this gen but haven't looked into it further. I assume it's prankster related?

Yeah, Murkrow is currently the best prankster tailwind user- talonflame has gale wings but Murkrow gets priority Haze, which is great right now

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

precision posted:

It feels like only in the past couple games have there been good Bug moves right? Like u turn and Bug buzz, I don't remember those from the older games

I can remember that Fairy and Fighting beat Dark because it's kinda like "good guys beat bad guys"

Bug Buzz and U-turn have been around since gen 4, so 5 generations ago.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Hey, Leech Life is a legitimate move now that it's 80 BP instead of 20 (and still heals half damage dealt)

like it's still a little short of good, but I could see situations where I would ever want to have it on a mon

Leech Life receiving a massive upgrade is one of my favorite developments in terms of Pokemon movesets. I've run my Buzzwole before with both Leech Life and Drain Punch. It's good on Lokix, too.

Larryb posted:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Dark_(type)

As I said above, the reason is literally because of the Kamen Rider franchise (bug themed superheroes that fight evil)

Ironically, the Bug/Dark Lokix is probably the most Kamen Rider-looking Pokemon. I named mine Ishinomori, after the creator of Kamen Rider (and Cyborg 009, and Super Sentai aka that show Power Rangers is adapted from).

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 16, 2023

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Dark is easier to remember when you think of it as the "evil" type that is weak to the "noble" types, like fighting, fairy, and bug. A lot of the non elemental types work on a similar principle, like how psychic is weak to the common fears (dark, bug, ghost)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Simsmagic posted:

Dark is easier to remember when you think of it as the "evil" type that is weak to the "noble" types, like fighting, fairy, and bug. A lot of the non elemental types work on a similar principle, like how psychic is weak to the common fears (dark, bug, ghost)

Dark is literally the "evil" type in Japanese. It loses to Fighting (martial arts protags), Bug (Kamen Rider) and Fairy (Sailor Moon).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Larryb posted:

To be fair Gen 7 and 9 had some decent Bugs at least (and Butterfee’s still not exactly terrible) but yeah, as far as typings go it’s one of the worst unfortunately

Gens 5+ all have actually good bugs

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hope I get to see my good friend Venipede again in the DLC.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Bug types (tied for my favorite) constantly getting hosed over with miserable stat totals is a thing I'm consistently bitter about.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I miss orbeetle. Stored power iron defense recover body press was so good and funny.

Work set up You can drop recover for calm mind to just be a little tank bug

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Prankster Tailwind + Haze. The first part was because Whimsicott was excluded from the dex. However, even if all Pokémon were allowed in, it's the only Prankster Haze user out there, which can easily shut down Dondozo cores. Not only that, it lets Gholdengo spam Make It Rain by getting rid of the stat debuff and other such uses.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Cattail Prophet posted:

Yeah: Prankster on a Dark/Flying (immunity to ground & psychic is a plus) type means you can get Top Priority Tailwind, Haze, and Taunt off, among others, and Honchkrow loses its H.A. Prankster when it evolves from Murkrow

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Bug types are a casualty of the fact most Pokemon games are designed to be linear RPGs with something resembling linear progression, that just happen to also have a competitive element. Most of them suck because they're designed to suck, they're meant to be early-game power players that fall off. Same reason Dragon is strong, they're supposed to be the late game threats.

Now Poison types, they don't have an excuse.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Bug types are a casualty of the fact most Pokemon games are designed to be linear RPGs with something resembling linear progression, that just happen to also have a competitive element. Most of them suck because they're designed to suck, they're meant to be early-game power players that fall off. Same reason Dragon is strong, they're supposed to be the late game threats.

Now Poison types, they don't have an excuse.

This hasn't been true for bug types for over a decade

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

precision posted:

Hands up if you been playing these games for literally 25 years and you still can't ever remember type matchups other than "fire burns grass" and other obvious ones

I literally could not tell you anything about Ice typing. Oh wait, isn't Ice weak against Fighting? I remember that because it's like, have you ever karate chopped an ice cube? Exactly

I can’t figure out Dark-Ghost-Rock generally but I have a pretty good grip of the rest—yes, Fighting is strong against Ice (it’s brittle and fairly easy to punch through), as is Fire (obvious) and Ground

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
ice shouldn't resist water, if anything water should resist ice. what happens when you put an ice cube in a glass of room temp water. in a minute you just have a glass of water. WEAK

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I can’t figure out Dark-Ghost-Rock generally but I have a pretty good grip of the rest—yes, Fighting is strong against Ice (it’s brittle and fairly easy to punch through), as is Fire (obvious) and Ground

ground is neutral attacking ice

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

HopperUK posted:

Great my username looks like the child Kangaskhan is embarrassed about.

Lmao:
Move over Bronzor, Cryogonal, and Aegislash, here comes Lux Animus!

neat(?) breakaway design:

^^^ gently caress u unown

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

indigi posted:

ground is neutral attacking ice

oh wait Ground is weak to Ice instead, because it pushes through or whatever. my bad

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Water should be weak to Ice, thanks for coming to my sermon.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Funky Valentine posted:

Water should be weak to Ice, thanks for coming to my sermon.

And Freeze Dry should instantly kill Water Types. :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The one I have to constantly remind myself of consciously is fire resists fairy.

Fairy should be weak to fire, too, incidentally. :colbert: