Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What's the opposite of triangulation?

Rekt (angle)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

twrongulation.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

it's almost as if keith should learn by now that the right-wing are going to move heaven and earth to keep their paedophiles in charge and trying to be Nonce Lite isn't going to endear you to them

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

What a wonderful day to be a British emigrant.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Untidy apparently.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What's the opposite of triangulation?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

qhat posted:

What a wonderful day to be a British emigrant.

also another fine day to remember the dude in your avatar died of lung cancer after denying the carcinogenic effects of smoking and constantly smoking cigars to trigger the libs

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Petition to go from UK to YUK

peachy...
Jan 15, 2020

~hey~
loving hell I am so tired

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Diet Crack posted:

Petition to go from UK to YUK

lol brb changing the runaround text to

MR. UK - DON'T LIKE IT LEAVE THERES THE DOOR SIMPLE AS

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ah yes, the shite cliffs of diddler

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I keep seeing hot takes online that the scot parl gender recognition bill is unpopular with the public, but is it? I don't think I've seen any specific polling, just general polls that show the general public on the whole don't care about trans rights one way or the other. If anyone has any links to polling on this please share.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

I keep seeing hot takes online that the scot parl gender recognition bill is unpopular with the public, but is it? I don't think I've seen any specific polling, just general polls that show the general public on the whole don't care about trans rights one way or the other. If anyone has any links to polling on this please share.

Even if it is, who cares? Parliament passes loads of poo poo that's unpopular with the public because that's how representative democracy operates. The bedroom tax was deeply unpopular. Leaving the EU was no less divisive than the trans "issue".

It's all bollocks.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

iirc when you give the public polling on specific trans rights issues they are all over the place on individual parts of things. if you feed them specific push polls then they come out against. this is less a firm opinion against trans rights legislation than it is a measure of how your average person hasn't really thought about trans people very much at all

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

prime minister who has not won an election and would lose if he called one, must intervene to prevent passing of legislation unpopular with public.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Part of the problem is that the gender recognition bill was never going to get much favourable coverage, because there are a lot of TERFs who have significant coverage in the media.
Add to that the number of people who think that the SNP do things just to spite Westminster (and while they sometimes do, this doesn't seem like one of those occasions) and the bill was always up against it.

Trans issues are becoming more widely considered by the public, but there's a long way to go before I'd even consider "knowledge of trans issues" to be a common thing. Which is why you need politicians to be proactive and actually legislate on behalf of trans communities. So it sucks that England & Wales have the political parties they do.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

fwiw

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
here's a big article on UK YouGov polling on trans rights which has a lot of interesting details, though no Scotland-specific breakdown. It's broadly as you would expect, with women, the young, and those who personally know a trans person more likely to be permissive. The amount of people who are still against removing a doctor's permission and the two year waiting period is particularly disappointing, as is the general decrease in trans acceptance recent years as the culture war has gone into full swing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's interesting that men are consistently worse on this issue as a group and yet women (especially women who claim that all women are obviously in agreement with them) are the most presented voices.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

It's interesting that men are consistently worse on this issue as a group and yet women (especially women who claim that all women are obviously in agreement with them) are the most presented voices.

The majority of terfs you see on twitter tend to be dudes in their 50s

Or at least that demographic is the most vocal reply guy in nicola sturgeon's mentions.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

It's very funny that trans people are going to cause a scrap

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The majority of terfs you see on twitter tend to be dudes in their 50s

Or at least that demographic is the most vocal reply guy in nicola sturgeon's mentions.

and also stop being the RF part the moment trans people aren't in the picture, in which case GIVE BACK THE KIDS DEBRA YOU WHORE

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kingturnip posted:

Part of the problem is that the gender recognition bill was never going to get much favourable coverage, because there are a lot of TERFs who have significant coverage in the media.
Add to that the number of people who think that the SNP do things just to spite Westminster (and while they sometimes do, this doesn't seem like one of those occasions) and the bill was always up against it.

Trans issues are becoming more widely considered by the public, but there's a long way to go before I'd even consider "knowledge of trans issues" to be a common thing. Which is why you need politicians to be proactive and actually legislate on behalf of trans communities. So it sucks that England & Wales have the political parties they do.

Yeah, I was honestly completely ignorant of trans people until relatively recently. I just hadn't spent any time thinking about it until I dunno, 6 or 7 years ago? Really it was Something Awful that made me aware.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, I was honestly completely ignorant of trans people until relatively recently. I just hadn't spent any time thinking about it until I dunno, 6 or 7 years ago? Really it was Something Awful that made me aware.

would you say it got up in your face about it?

*chest shunting you* huh? huh???

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Open polls usually show that the british public's position on trans people is generally either positive, or a kind of "leave 'em be, they don't bother me" kind of stance. Outside of push polls by weird right wing outlets, very few people are anti-trans, just look at any wide shot of a trans positive protest and compare it to the three people (same ones each time) at gender critical rallies. The only way they can manage big crowds is by lying about it being about feminism and hiding their transphobia until the last second.

So they then have to fall back on conspiracy theories about why all of their friends (who are just out of shot, you can't see them) aren't speaking up or going to protests or letting them see their kids any more. It's the usual 'silent majority' bullshit you get from sad little fash-adjacent freaks with weird opinions - everyone else is a brainwashed sheeple with the populist woke mind virus and only they see the real truth.

It's like with Corbyn. If they're in the majority it's just common sense, but when polls show they're in the minority suddenly everyone else is doing a populism which is dangerous and bad.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, I was honestly completely ignorant

I'm glad you've finally been able to be honest with yourself

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm glad you've finally been able to be honest with yourself

don't tell me you're registered a third account

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

forkboy84 posted:

Coincidentally I had a Facebook memory pop up the other day of an essay I wrote about my relationship with my best friend (who is trans, and was the first such person I met). Posted it here back in the day (it was actually practically the first post I made in the ukmt) and it’s really interesting to see what a different person I was back in the day.

Can probably find and repost if anyone is interested

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Olds continue to be poo poo, quelle surprise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Male transphobes are almost certainly homophobes worried that the girl they pick up might actually be a dude and that would make them gay.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of women transphobes seem to be similarly obsessed with that idea even if it is unlikely to apply to them as I cannot imagine any of them have any sex at all being utterly devoted to having terrible opinions and posting on twitter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

Male transphobes are almost certainly homophobes worried that the girl they pick up might actually be a dude and that would make them gay.
That and/or they're obsessed with "cutting off cocks" because it's the only thing that they can (literally) cling to that gives them assurance of their worth as a man.

But other than ranting at Nicola Sturgeon and trans people on the internet they don't seem to cultivate much attention compared to feminists spouting Mein Kampf in public as proof that they're the reasonable ones.

https://twitter.com/SpillerOfTea/status/1614710809745321984

There's no direct mainstream equivalent of a Ron DeSantis type (good) opposing genders in the name of the male headed family or whatever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

There's no direct mainstream equivalent of a Ron DeSantis type (good) opposing genders in the name of the male headed family or whatever.

That's very much the position of the US christian fundamentalist right? I suppose it doesn't play as much in the UK because the UK is less christian overall, but it is a very mainstream position in the US I think.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It is, but it's also what conservatives see as the 'natural order' of things, to the point where you get Starmer going on about family values as some sort of nebulous failed triangulation attempt, the fundies just have Bible verses and conspiracy theories to go with it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I defeated gender in the marketplace of ideas but then the government bailed them out.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I think men also the realise the TERF movement is vocal enough that they can just push their voices because it plays better when it comes from women so only the truly deranged like Glinner get involved

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
EV is angry, words fall out by the bushel.

Good God the state of this horrible squalid little asylum of a country.
Handcart to Hell status - boosters fully fueled and firing up.

Re; the latest serving of anti trans shite I would like to formally apologise for my generation and their loving ludicrously cruel benighted vision to each and every one of you who is living in fear because of these arseholes . I am so so sorry that so many of my cohort are not worth describing as human beings and want to deny you the simple comfort of feeling safe in your own skin.

If it's any consolation (and I know it's not) the TERFs and their water carriers are clearly on the wrong side of history and secretly even some of them know it. Trapped blind, geriatric rats lashing out at anything that doesn't smell like them.

You are not alone, you are merely temporarily outnumbered. They can't win a war of attrition because time is exclusively on your side.

gently caress this poo poo pisses me off. I don't think I've ever felt so simultaneously furious and weepy in my adult life. Something finally goes a little bit right for you and then some wanker goes Nope!.
Though the fallout of pulling Section 35 on the Scottish Parliament will no doubt cheer me up a bit.
(Heh, usually folks get sectioned because they're mad, Nippy Sweeties can now get mad because she was sectioned.)

In other news.
Oi Rishi! So you are all about them mandatory minimum service levels then eh? I can think of one organisation that has just shown conclusively that they understand their brief so poorly that they can't even fake applying it to themselves. They are clearly not fit for purpose. How about a public root and branch investigation with the sharpest teeth you've got? Oh I forgot, you and your crew share something in common with them, you're all bastards.

And talking of bastards, a big hand for Ms Braverman!
Hearing you describe the actions of PC McRapeface as a "terrible incident"* wins the most poorly thought out response imaginable prize hands down. A catalogue of horrors that would give de Sade pause is not a loving "incident" it's the exposure of a systemic sociopathic tendency that you clearly share if you think that such a gross plurality can be trivialised so easily. I can't even imagine a punishment dire enough to be cathartic you are so vile.

*I paraphrase, she definitely used the word incident which is so shockingly wrong that it destroyed any recall of what came before. Stomping round my kitchen repeating "an incident?" like Lady Bracknell's handbag moment.

Have a rallying call I wish wasn't even more relevant now than it was 44 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYl10HUrmwk

e: alarmingly prescient lyrics here

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 17, 2023

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Tesseraction posted:

also another fine day to remember the dude in your avatar died of lung cancer after denying the carcinogenic effects of smoking and constantly smoking cigars to trigger the libs

I didn't buy it, someone bought it for me after I owned them incredibly badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rarity posted:

I think men also the realise the TERF movement is vocal enough that they can just push their voices because it plays better when it comes from women so only the truly deranged like Glinner get involved

This is the Tory playbook. They elect women as leaders not because they believe in equal opportunities, but because they believe a woman spokesperson softens the blow when they are introducing policies that are characteristically ruthless.