Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TIP posted:

Roberta Williams herself worked on this update of the classic text adventure Colossal Cave to VR and... it's baffling that she jammed point and click adventure mechanics into it

like seriously, you have a cursor that you have to switch to an eye icon and click on things to "look" at them :lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj3DSf0g1uI

'you are inside a building' (I... can see that)
'I can't use that yet'
'there is nothing to do here'
'that is useless'

Baffling, to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

roberta williams is a hack

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I kind of like that - unlike some other old devs jumping out of retirement - Roberta and Ken decided to go with a port of a fairly straightforward public domain game versus something wildly ambitious. Doesn't look great, but kind of funny they're bringing fighting with a parser that's constantly repeating to you "you can't do that" to 2023.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
Anyone had any experience with buying the VR prescription lenses? I got an index recently and my poo poo is blurry as hell, going to get my eyes checked now cause it's basically unusable currently. The idea of wearing glasses under that headset seems hellish though.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Turin Turambar posted:

'you are inside a building' (I... can see that)
'I can't use that yet'
'there is nothing to do here'
'that is useless'

Baffling, to say the least.

'Tis beyond my reach!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

Anyone had any experience with buying the VR prescription lenses? I got an index recently and my poo poo is blurry as hell, going to get my eyes checked now cause it's basically unusable currently. The idea of wearing glasses under that headset seems hellish though.

Glasses under a headset *are* hellish. The prescription inserts work about as well for me as wearing my contacts does, though they obviously add cost. (I normally wear glasses, I have contacts to wear biking/skiing mostly.)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whoa there is actually a lot of cool stuff in here

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I've never heard of this type of locomotion before. Did Roberta Williams just invent a one-handed combination of WASD and mouse look for VR?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lister posted:

I've never heard of this type of locomotion before. Did Roberta Williams just invent a one-handed combination of WASD and mouse look for VR?

:psyduck:

chird
Sep 26, 2004

I got thin frames on my glasses primarily for vr, but they still fit in so snugly I'd expect it to break them or scratch the vr lenses so I never used it past that first test.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lister posted:

lol what the gently caress

Edit: it's like the David Cage approach to VR controls

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 17, 2023

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I used https://vroptician.com/ for my Index and they were great, 100x better than trying to do glasses underneath

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been playing with my glasses on since my prescription lense frames cracked somehow and my next eye doc appointment is next month so I don't want to order in case my prescription changes. They barely fit but don't touch the headset lenses; it's fine for a while but I'm definitely having to have shorter sessions and am ready to have lenses again.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

yes, here are some recent-ish posts I just pulled up.

Kazy posted:

I got my lenses from AliExpress.

https://m.aliexpress.com/store/1101328188

The listing is suspiciously priced low now (I paid $60 due to strong prescription) but this is the store.

Perestroika posted:

Personally I used vroptician.com, which work very nicely even for my astigmatism. They are on the pricier side, though.

Stormangel posted:

I like my Reloptix. $79 flat rate even with my strong prescription.

FilthyImp posted:

If your headset is compatible with the $10 Zenni lenses, you can 3D Print (or order) lens inserts for like $30.

Stormangel posted:

I've done the Zenni and 3d printed holders for 2 years. In my experience they didn't stay in place well, were fragile even when printed with PETG, and you had to be extra sure that you clocked the lenses right or it's eye strain city. I updated my prescription this year and ordered lenses https://www.reloptix.com . They were a flat $80 even though my prescription was high enough that other insert makers wanted to charge extra. The inserts are rubber coated so if they do touch your nose it's not uncomfortable, unlike my experience with the 3D printed ones. I couldn't be happier.

explosivo posted:

I'll go ahead and plug VR Wave's prescription glasses inserts for the Quest again since these things have been a game changer for me. I used glasses in the headet for a while, then stopped because it was annoying, and then obviously everything was just always a little blurrier than it should be. I got these and it's been like night and day, and they snap on with magnets so the lenses themselves can go on and come off super easily if you have other people using the headset too.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Hey, Compound is a lot of fun! No idea if it’s some 40 hours deep roguelite but it’s been fun for a few sessions which is like the crowning achievement of VR games so far.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

It was years ago that I got them, but I've been immensely pleased with https://vroptician.com/ inserts for my CV1.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Gobbeldygook posted:

yes, here are some recent-ish posts I just pulled up.

I both appreciate and feel deeply attacked for this so, thankyou!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This is only tangentially related to VR, but does anyone know if the Monster Hunter VR attraction at USJ is accessible to people not fluent in Japanese? It requires a separate ticket purchase and involves some degree of human interaction so I'd like to be sure first.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/thearperson/status/1614734954214338560

Another Time classic.

Although it's always funny to see people complain of the bad publicity every time there is a image of someone with a VR headset. That's how we look with one in real life, people...
And no, for normal people there won't be any meaningful difference if you change it from the Gear-like headset to a Quest 2.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yes you do look like a goober wearing a headset, this is just part of it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i also like how time just always manages to find the worst people for their covers these days, putin would fit right in there lmao

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Lol I think the Palmer Luckey TIME cover still holds the crown for Makes VR users look just the worst :o:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
That one wasn't really the headset's fault, though. If anything it was an improvement.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Are they wearing the lovely Samsung GearVR headsets?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

Are they wearing the lovely Samsung GearVR headsets?

My guess is that is all a Photoshop.

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfcVXv6eHWY
Wait... is this a Horizon clone? lol I hadn't follow the game so I had no idea.

Upload Vr likes it
https://uploadvr.com/primal-hunt-review-a-bloody-thrill/

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Kalman posted:

Glasses under a headset *are* hellish. The prescription inserts work about as well for me as wearing my contacts does, though they obviously add cost. (I normally wear glasses, I have contacts to wear biking/skiing mostly.)

Hellish is having to put your glasses underneath a Magic Leap so you can do dev work porting your application to a platform that you know is basically doomed and being shocked that the company is still afloat.

Then again that new HTC won't even allow for that, and their solution to it is that it has dials that go up to like 6 for people will poor eyesight. Which doesn't help when your eyesight is so bad you can't read a computer screen at 8 inches away :v:

I have VRWaves for my quest 2 and they're pretty boss, but they're expensive as hell if you have a serious prescription so you may want to check other places to see about getting a better deal.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Games Done Quick just posted an Alyx speedrun that seems pretty cool so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFJSgdzLJYE

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lol who reads Time Magazine anymore?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I remember a previous GDQ run where the person really abused the play area barriers and height settings to sequence break. It was a lot of fun watching them on camera basically crawl to the edges of their room. I think Alyx and Beat Saber are the only VR games that have been in GDQ. I would love to see more VR games thrown into future games. RE4 could be cool since you can now play through at a constant sprint

One of my good friends and my brother both got Quests for Christmas. I played some Walkabout with them over the weekend. It's really cool that they could all play the DLC courses that I own. My brother let my 8 year old niece play for a bit, and she found a dead body in Sweetopia. So that was fun.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Professor Wayne posted:

I remember a previous GDQ run where the person really abused the play area barriers and height settings to sequence break. It was a lot of fun watching them on camera basically crawl to the edges of their room. I think Alyx and Beat Saber are the only VR games that have been in GDQ. I would love to see more VR games thrown into future games. RE4 could be cool since you can now play through at a constant sprint

One of my good friends and my brother both got Quests for Christmas. I played some Walkabout with them over the weekend. It's really cool that they could all play the DLC courses that I own. My brother let my 8 year old niece play for a bit, and she found a dead body in Sweetopia. So that was fun.

How was Beat Saber "done quick"?

Sounds really dumb to me and I really like the games done quick poo poo.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
It's really a showcase, not a full on speed run. It looked a little goofy to me, but Beat Saber isn't really my thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T6PnJilqq4

Some showcases are cool though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKfdfNxnrw0

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EbolaIvory posted:

How was Beat Saber "done quick"?

Sounds really dumb to me and I really like the games done quick poo poo.
Most rhythm games let you adjust the playback speed, right? Seems like a reasonable "speedrun" could be just playing through the entire original playlist as fast as you can get away with, completing every song in the shortest combined time. If you push too hard and have to restart you just lost however much time.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wolrah posted:

Most rhythm games let you adjust the playback speed, right? Seems like a reasonable "speedrun" could be just playing through the entire original playlist as fast as you can get away with, completing every song in the shortest combined time. If you push too hard and have to restart you just lost however much time.

No I get that. Theres also a campaign and a dozen modifiers you could use.

Its just, I'm trying to find a way to say "who cares, its still boring as poo poo to watch" without being an rear end in a top hat about it.

Its a score driven game entirely. If you were going to speed run something they should be speed running the ranked ladders or something. At least then it makes some kind of sense.

Professor Wayne posted:

It's really a showcase, not a full on speed run. It looked a little goofy to me, but Beat Saber isn't really my thing.

Yeah this is basically just an amateur beat saber player screwing around.

EDIT: NO HATE ON THAT TO BE CLEAR

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 18, 2023

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

GDQ doesn't show speedruns of rhythm games but it does frequently include showcases of high level play because playing a game that makes you move fast at a high level of skill is speedrun-adjacent enough that people like watching it. They don't pretend it's any kind of speedrun.

The Beat Saber one was more "popular GDQ streamer shows off a game on a niche platform" than "best person in the entire world does their thing" but nothing wrong with that.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Lemming posted:

Honestly I was initially a little annoyed from there being so many straight up clones instead of people doing more original things with the locomotion, but a lot/most of these are being made by teenagers who just felt really inspired to try to make something, no matter how derivative. I think this is going to be a big part of how the next generation of developers think about vr design

For the love of God why aren't more devs paying attention to what is actually engaging players instead of just making more stick locomotion zombie shooters aagagajaggahahagajhahajag

I really enjoy stick locomotion shooters, though. Hold the "zombie", though, I'm heartily sick of zombie anything.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Turin Turambar posted:

https://twitter.com/thearperson/status/1614734954214338560

Another Time classic.

Although it's always funny to see people complain of the bad publicity every time there is a image of someone with a VR headset. That's how we look with one in real life, people...
And no, for normal people there won't be any meaningful difference if you change it from the Gear-like headset to a Quest 2.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Was trying to play with Bigscreen tonight, but desktop streaming wasn’t sending audio. Did the in-app driver install, and ran the installer directly as admin, set the sound output to the newly-available big stream device, no love.

Google gives me posts from a year or more ago saying it doesn’t work on windows 11.

I also see posts from multiple years ago saying a friends list is coming, but I see no indication that ever happened.

So two questions: 1) am I simply SOL for desktop audio streaming since I’m on windows 11, and 2) is this project dead or what? Is there another cross-platform option that actually works?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nthing the vroptician.com recommendation for lens inserts. I have a set for my Index and they're great. They fit snugly, yet come off easily if you want to let someone else play.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Was trying to play with Bigscreen tonight, but desktop streaming wasn’t sending audio. Did the in-app driver install, and ran the installer directly as admin, set the sound output to the newly-available big stream device, no love.

Lol bigscreen gave me poo poo last night when I tried to log on for five minutes, it's worked fine on Windows 11 mostly, maybe they made a recent change?

Not sure if I'm reading you wrong but if you're just trying to watch things, virtual desktop, immersed or something like that would do the job?