Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Love that I have probably picked up 5 passive kills on subs in a cv. Hilarious that it’s fully automated.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Love that I have probably picked up 5 passive kills on subs in a cv. Hilarious that it’s fully automated.

Can't wait until we get a CV that can launch AWACS planes that can't be targeted, and for 2 minutes they will randomly call in anti-ship missile fire from off map.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Got a Napoli from a Santa crate. This thing is hilarious. No one expects a secondary cruiser.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Got a Napoli from a Santa crate. This thing is hilarious. No one expects a secondary cruiser.

Apparently the Admiral Schröder is also similar, but despite being German also decent.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Apparently the Admiral Schröder is also similar, but despite being German also decent.

That’s certainly an opinion someone might have about it.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
It's better than Agir? That's an opinion.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Didnt it get nerfed to have entirely overmatchable armour on the citadel?

A secondary cruiser that cant brawl.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

serious gaylord posted:

Didnt it get nerfed to have entirely overmatchable armour on the citadel?

A secondary cruiser that cant brawl.

Yeah, apparently the ship was nerfed to hell after the CCs reviewed it and is now a worse/more different Ägir, which isn't a great place to be.

Oh well at least I won't have to waste time grinding for it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

Can't wait until we get a CV that can launch AWACS planes that can't be targeted, and for 2 minutes they will randomly call in anti-ship missile fire from off map.

It keeps happening by the way. I’m like 12-1 against subs. I do nothing.

Ironic. The thing destroying the game is defeated by the other thing destroying the game.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 31, 2022

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Is the deep-water torpedo worth it? Seems like being able to hit other DD's might be more beneficial.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

dew worm posted:

Is the deep-water torpedo worth it? Seems like being able to hit other DD's might be more beneficial.

It isn’t a choice on any ship - you either have normal torpedoes or deep waters (or super deep waters). It’d be nice to be able to customize load outs more but that’s how weegee sells premium botes - they typically have a gimmick like “this is a Hsienyang but with hydro and normal torpedoes”.

The pan Asian destroyer line isn’t great at much but it does spew out an unmatched quantity of torpedoes now. I would definitely prefer normal ones to deep waters for the reason you mentioned and that deep waters are detected identically by hydro, so they’re actually worse a lot of the time because most are slower. Vs non hydro battleships they can be insanely lethal though.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Yeah I like throwing torps and devastating BBs and was deciding between IJN and Pan-Asia

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If you want the ultimate deep water torp boat get a Jinan.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

dew worm posted:

Yeah I like throwing torps and devastating BBs and was deciding between IJN and Pan-Asia

Both the IJN destroyer lines are actually good in addition to being torp meme machines. The Pan-Asian destroyers and cruisers are uhhhh...capable of winning matches.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

General Battuta posted:

Both the IJN destroyer lines are actually good in addition to being torp meme machines. The Pan-Asian destroyers and cruisers are uhhhh...capable of winning matches.

Yeah don't discount the IJN gunboat line for torping. They still have good torps that hit very hard and you can absolutely poo poo on fools with them.

For torpedo bastards there's also the European line. They don't hit hard at all, but you can shoot a lot of them very often. With Swirski's unique ability (8 torpedo hits lowers your torp cooldown) you can easily get the Halland's torps to well under one minute. Then you just torpedo everyone everywhere all the time.

They are also IMO a good DD trainer, because you don't have any easy get out of jail cards like smoke. You need to learn positioning and how to plan your movements to always have an avenue for escape.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 4, 2023

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I’ve got enough coal for a coal ship! I’m thinking Moskva or Yoshino?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yoshino is a lot of fun, you can snipe people from across the map and put out some ridiculous damage numbers. It appeals to me as somehow who started out years ago with the IJN cruiser line and was mad when it got power crept into Oblivion,

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
So Moskva has extremely accurate, high velocity guns, 12 km long duration radar and high HP, with downsides being squishy sides, low concealment, and a playstyle that’s pretty bow-tank-on-an-island focused. Yoshino has low concealment, accurate guns and strong AP and HE, but no armor at all, takes long duration fires, and generally plays a “sit at 20+ km and fire HE all round” style. That had zero appeal to me at all, but maybe it does for you. For me the choice is pretty obvious which is more influential in rounds.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Yeah Moskva is the objectively better ship at actually supporting teams and actively winning matches. But I’ve never been able to make it work consistently well for me. I usually just eat huge pens and citadels from AP hits that I would shrug off in most other CAs. But once in awhile I’ll have an amazing game in it. I think it has a high skill floor that I’ve never quite reached.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Do you have Marceau?

Both Moskva and Yoshino are kind of a snooze to play. Marceau has great joie de vivre.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

General Battuta posted:

Do you have Marceau?

Both Moskva and Yoshino are kind of a snooze to play. Marceau has great joie de vivre.

I'm really bad at destroyers... :ohdear:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm really bad at destroyers... :ohdear:

Only one way to learn! The Marceau really is an amazing DD that's a ton of fun. Rain poo poo on everyone and zoom around at a million miles per hour.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Velius posted:

So Moskva has extremely accurate, high velocity guns, 12 km long duration radar and high HP, with downsides being squishy sides, low concealment, and a playstyle that’s pretty bow-tank-on-an-island focused. Yoshino has low concealment, accurate guns and strong AP and HE, but no armor at all, takes long duration fires, and generally plays a “sit at 20+ km and fire HE all round” style. That had zero appeal to me at all, but maybe it does for you. For me the choice is pretty obvious which is more influential in rounds.

Now that you can no longer kill your entire team with 20km torps, what little fun there was to be had in Yoshino is no more.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Almost nothing is more dull than rage DMs but I gotta post this one, this game attracts a truly special playerbase

e: 12,000 matches btw

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Almost nothing is more dull than rage DMs but I gotta post this one, this game attracts a truly special playerbase

e: 12,000 matches btw

He's not wrong 43% is outstanding, just not in the way he thinks.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I always assumed AFK is about 40% WR, is that right? So he is worth 3% more than nothing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
AFK averages at 48% in Tanks. I imagine its broadly similar for ships.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
Republique is a good ship.

Their Montana was a loving idiot. There was less that a minute left to the game, it was 1v1, and they were winning. So what does he do? Decides that coming out from behind an island broadside to me at 8km is a brilliant idea.

All he had to do was sit still and I wouldn't have had the time to get guns on him.

By far my best game ever. I've only broken 200k once before.

Aesaar fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 12, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I've just about scraped enough steel together for my first steel ship (would've had it years ago but being a genius I figured "I'll never get enough steel for a ship, might as well use it piecemeal on coal ships instead!") and I have no idea which one to pick.

Definitely not the FDR, and I'm not super hyped on the Ragnar either, but other than that I'm open to suggestions.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Bourgogne.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I've just about scraped enough steel together for my first steel ship (would've had it years ago but being a genius I figured "I'll never get enough steel for a ship, might as well use it piecemeal on coal ships instead!") and I have no idea which one to pick.

Definitely not the FDR, and I'm not super hyped on the Ragnar either, but other than that I'm open to suggestions.

Get the bologne

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Are battle passes only four weeks? Feels like it’d require playing pretty much every single day to complete the pass if so.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I honestly am not sure. I play most days and hit like 78 levels, for what that’s worth. The upcoming pass has a tech tree tier 8 in early access as the reward so gently caress spending anything on that garbage.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Velius posted:

I honestly am not sure. I play most days and hit like 78 levels, for what that’s worth. The upcoming pass has a tech tree tier 8 in early access as the reward so gently caress spending anything on that garbage.

Oh, for some reason I thought it was a premium. More time for other things this month I guess.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

wdarkk posted:

Oh, for some reason I thought it was a premium. More time for other things this month I guess.

This patch's battlepass is pretty meh, its early access to a tech tree ship.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Question for y'all: Druid or Vampire II? I have no interest in Slava, Gibraltar, Colbert, Sevastopol, or Siegfried (unless you can convince me otherwise), but the two DDs have an appeal.

Any thoughts?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Blindeye posted:

Question for y'all: Druid or Vampire II? I have no interest in Slava, Gibraltar, Colbert, Sevastopol, or Siegfried (unless you can convince me otherwise), but the two DDs have an appeal.

Any thoughts?

They are very different boats. Vampire is a Daring that loses the heal and British smokes, along with a torp rack, in exchange for crawling smoke (very long cooldown), significantly higher gun DPM, and slightly better torpedoes.

Druid is an AP buzzsaw with no torpedoes and mediocre concealment. Extremely high potential AP DPM, good penetration for 5” guns, and a British heal, but pretty gimmicky. Has a bad tendency to lose turrets which is bad since it only has two and no torps. I love both in their own ways but have way more games in Druid.

A good test would be to play daring a bunch and see if you’d love daring but different or if you’d love daring but you farm AP damage and play islands more.

Oh and to clarify “British heal” for the destroyers is not a superheal. It’s probably 8-10k more HP for a Druid over all charges.

Velius fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 18, 2023

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Blindeye posted:

Any thoughts?

Siegfried is fun and good unless they changed it, all of the commentary on it is about how removing secondary build ruined it but those people don't understand how the game works. If you like the Alaska or battleships it is probably worth buying.

(if you buy ships for how overpowered they are I wouldn't choose the Siegfried, but it's not weak)

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Velius posted:

They are very different boats. Vampire is a Daring that loses the heal and British smokes, along with a torp rack, in exchange for crawling smoke (very long cooldown), significantly higher gun DPM, and slightly better torpedoes.

Druid is an AP buzzsaw with no torpedoes and mediocre concealment. Extremely high potential AP DPM, good penetration for 5” guns, and a British heal, but pretty gimmicky. Has a bad tendency to lose turrets which is bad since it only has two and no torps. I love both in their own ways but have way more games in Druid.

A good test would be to play daring a bunch and see if you’d love daring but different or if you’d love daring but you farm AP damage and play islands more.

Completely agree and I would definitely suggest Druid if for no other reason than Vampire is a sidegrade from Daring, whereas there is nothing else like Druid. Strictly speaking, V2 is probably the better ship but I would still go Druid if you are anywhere near getting Daring (or just start grinding Daring now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

What are some good T6 ranked boats?