Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Does Radio Canada have a good on-line (en direct) streaming service like the english CBC does? They used to have some real good reporting in the early aughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

My favorite is "Consumer Anthropologists"

Just imagining this couple in pith helmets skulking the aisles of Walmart and Home Depot, taking notes and observing the exotic "Consumer" in their native habitat, trying to communicate using pidgin English and inappropriate hand gestures

studying the nacirema

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

300k a year, folks.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

jurassique park

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why is the ad in english?

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Futanari Damacy posted:

Try being sad for the people who actually pay for groceries as they're the ones eating all the costs, no pun intended

This is an incorrect way to look at it, because that's not the only solution. The shareholders/board of directors/CEO could take a pay cut instead of passing along the costs.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Guigui posted:

Does Radio Canada have a good on-line (en direct) streaming service like the english CBC does? They used to have some real good reporting in the early aughts.

I don't know but I've tried listening to Radio Canada now and then and it's such a different experience with stories about "wokeism" and being able to say the n word and it feels so much more conservative than Anglophone CBC.

Which makes sense given their recent awful letter-writing campaign but ugh it feels like AM radio.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Segue posted:

I don't know but I've tried listening to Radio Canada now and then and it's such a different experience with stories about "wokeism" and being able to say the n word and it feels so much more conservative than Anglophone CBC.

Which makes sense given their recent awful letter-writing campaign but ugh it feels like AM radio.

Radio CBC is on in a lot of trades shops in Alberta when I go do installs and whatnots. That tells me who they're trying to reach and that they're doing a good job of it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Bottlemen talked about it in their November episode, but the LPC trying to gauge the public temperature on "Wokeism" is so odd to me. I mean, most simply, it's the fulfillment of the Liberal project approaching the Centennial to diffuse sectarian conflict in Canada by forging a new identity independent of English/Proddie, French/Catholic. It worked, I mean, Toronto's not like Belfast anymore, nobody seems to even remember the old struggles and identities. Hell, most "British" Canadians are five or more generations removed from the old sod now.

So, why are they trying to distance themselves from a project that not only succeeded in erasing differences between the 5 mainline Protestant churches and the Catholics, but also includes Jews, Muslims, Sikhs etc. ?

Am I missing something about what national identity they're trying to forge here?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Frosted Flake posted:

The Bottlemen talked about it in their November episode, but the LPC trying to gauge the public temperature on "Wokeism" is so odd to me. I mean, most simply, it's the fulfillment of the Liberal project approaching the Centennial to diffuse sectarian conflict in Canada by forging a new identity independent of English/Proddie, French/Catholic. It worked, I mean, Toronto's not like Belfast anymore, nobody seems to even remember the old struggles and identities. Hell, most "British" Canadians are five or more generations removed from the old sod now.

So, why are they trying to distance themselves from a project that not only succeeded in erasing differences between the 5 mainline Protestant churches and the Catholics, but also includes Jews, Muslims, Sikhs etc. ?

Am I missing something about what national identity they're trying to forge here?

idgi are you/they saying the lpc wants "woke" to be the new national identity?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

pokeyman posted:

idgi are you/they saying the lpc wants "woke" to be the new national identity?

No, but "Woke" is the derogatory name for the multicultural, more inclusive, less sectarian society they wanted, and since they succeeded in a pretty large cultural project to create it, I don't know why they're gun-shy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

No, but "Woke" is the derogatory name for the multicultural, more inclusive, less sectarian society they wanted, and since they succeeded in a pretty large cultural project to create it, I don't know why they're gun-shy.

Because the implication that minorities are actually people is deeply uncomfortable to the liberal mind and incompatible with the liberal project. If you free the underclasses who will till the soil on your estates etc?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Frosted Flake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0SQCWZJeUw&t=38s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CLAM DOWN posted:

this is a very good question.

forsted flake, you have some particularly unique ideas on canadian identity and i honestly have no context for them at all

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

If I were to guess they are talking about some Ontario/Quebec provincial policies and mistaking it for a deliberate National identity. Not sure that is going to resonate with anyone that hasn’t lived exclusively in those two provinces.

Crow Buddy has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Jan 17, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Crow Buddy posted:

If I were to guess they are talking about some Ontario/Quebec provincial policies and mistaking it for a deliberate National identity. Not sure that is going to resonate with anyone that hasn’t live exclusively in those two provinces.

there are people outside of ontario and quebec? bullshit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arivia posted:

there are people outside of ontario and quebec? bullshit

well, there are other provinces, i've seen a map. presumably someone lives in them, but i can't imagine who

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

infernal machines posted:

well, there are other provinces, i've seen a map. presumably someone lives in them, but i can't imagine who

Yeh but have you ever actually seen any of these so-called "provinces"? Or have you been relying on Big Map this whole time? 🤔

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Frosted Flake posted:

It'd be a pretty amateur plot to subvert Western culture and turn the frogs gay if they were that open about it

This is Conspiracy 101 stuff my man

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Yeh but have you ever actually seen any of these so-called "provinces"? Or have you been relying on Big Map this whole time? 🤔

look, pal, they wouldn't print it if it wasn't true

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You're right that I was talking about Ontario and Quebec, but they didn't just give their name to the nation but also set the tone. That was the basis for Canadian nationalism and national identity before 1967. I mean, it's a straight line from the Durham Report to then. "I found two nations warring in the bosom of a single state: I found a struggle, not of principles, but of races; and I perceived that it would be idle to attempt any amelioration of laws or institutions until we could first succeed in terminating the deadly animosity that now separates the inhabitants of Lower Canada into the hostile divisions of French and English."

Multiculturalism was an attempt to resolve that, and create one nation and one state. The Liberals are feeling out the hostility to "wokeism" in the Toronto suburbs, without, in my opinion, really realizing what the alternatives were and are.

"Our happy immunity from any feelings of national hostility, renders it difficult for us to comprehend the intensity of the hatred which the difference of language, of laws, and of manners, creates between those who inhabit the same village, and are citizens of the same state. We are ready to believe that the real motive of the quarrel is something else; and that the difference of race has slightly and occasionally aggravated dissensions, which we attribute to some more usual cause. Experience of a state of society, so unhappily divided as that of Lower Canada, leads to an exactly contrary opinion. The national feud forces itself on the very senses, irresistibly and palpably, as the origin or the essence of every dispute which divides the community; we discover that dissensions, which appear to have another origin, are but forms of this constant and all-pervading quarrel; and that every contest is one of French and English in the outset, or becomes so ere it has run its course."

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Jan 17, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's the boss baby tweet, but for national identity

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Frosted Flake posted:

You're right that I was talking about Ontario and Quebec, but they didn't just give their name to the nation but also set the tone. That was the basis for Canadian nationalism and national identity before 1967. I mean, it's a straight line from the Durham Report to then. "I found two nations warring in the bosom of a single state: I found a struggle, not of principles, but of races; and I perceived that it would be idle to attempt any amelioration of laws or institutions until we could first succeed in terminating the deadly animosity that now separates the inhabitants of Lower Canada into the hostile divisions of French and English."

Multiculturalism was an attempt to resolve that, and create one nation and one state. The Liberals are feeling out the hostility to "wokeism" in the Toronto suburbs, without, in my opinion, really realizing what the alternatives were and are.

"Our happy immunity from any feelings of national hostility, renders it difficult for us to comprehend the intensity of the hatred which the difference of language, of laws, and of manners, creates between those who inhabit the same village, and are citizens of the same state. We are ready to believe that the real motive of the quarrel is something else; and that the difference of race has slightly and occasionally aggravated dissensions, which we attribute to some more usual cause. Experience of a state of society, so unhappily divided as that of Lower Canada, leads to an exactly contrary opinion. The national feud forces itself on the very senses, irresistibly and palpably, as the origin or the essence of every dispute which divides the community; we discover that dissensions, which appear to have another origin, are but forms of this constant and all-pervading quarrel; and that every contest is one of French and English in the outset, or becomes so ere it has run its course."

CLAM DOWN posted:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I like frosted flakes effort posts

Not going to pretend I completely understand them but I like them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

posting an excerpt from Her Majesty’s High Commissioner, Report on the Affairs of British North America (Durham Report), by Earl of Durham (1839) with the implication that it informs a conversation about modern issues around multiculturalism in canada is pretty opaque

there may be a valid point in there, but it would probably be worth stating it in plain language

otoh, i now have some context for frosted flake's takes on national identity and they're rooted in reports for the crown made sometime before confederation

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Jan 17, 2023

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
There's a sense to it - the infamous "post-racial state" declaration has echoes of "multiculturalism as a bulwark against division"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

In hindsight, “money and the ethnic vote” was offensive, but it wasn’t wrong. It identifies the two things that were used to eliminate the threat of an independent Quebec.

I guess I’m just musing that the neoliberal vision of Canada (imo deliberately) creates a backlash against minorities rather than Capitalism. As crises heat up, people grow frustrated and, at the same time, beholden to capitalism and unwilling to alleviate material conditions, Liberalism presents itself as offering multiculturalism, diversity etc. The combination of the two means that resentment is channeled towards people rather than power.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Durham is still hated and held as a symbol of the vile Anglo trying to assimilate us in Québec, btw.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Frosted Flake posted:

I guess I’m just musing that the neoliberal vision of Canada (imo deliberately) creates a backlash against minorities rather than Capitalism.

You could have just said white people are racist!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bleck posted:

You could have just said white people are racist!

well sure, but we also participate in many other forms of bigotry and discrimination, which is probably more to the point of a report on tensions between english and french colonists

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

infernal machines posted:

posting an excerpt from Her Majesty’s High Commissioner, Report on the Affairs of British North America (Durham Report), by Earl of Durham (1839) with the implication that it informs a conversation about modern issues around multiculturalism in canada is pretty opaque

It all seems moot as nobody who is doing racism today knows what any of this poo poo is, they are just incorrectly associating their accelerating privation with the increasing number of non white people they encounter

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1615012516240793600

Our boy's looking good!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://twitter.com/Cam_Oflage/status/1615526833839304704

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

The Wildrose Party in AB is now going to be the Alberta 1st Party. I'm currently putting new logos on all of their lovely signs they've brought in. I hope they split the right hard, they're the sink for right wingers who hate Smith.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Durham didn't want the country to be multicultural, he wanted the French to "disappear" Louisiana style.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I like how all the extreme-right parties are renaming themselves the "Province Name/Family/City-town-name First", makes their candidates easy to avoid on the ballot sheet.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Easy to vote for, too. Duhhh sounds like they're going to put MY province first! :dumb: (as opposed to???)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"petty regionalism first party"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
there's a simple elegance to Parti Quebecois that none of these imitators can match