Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Metal Gear Survive is also, inexplicably, always-online, even in single player mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Scalding Coffee posted:

They made Survive much easier over time and you are wasting time fighting anything at the start since upgrades are progress gated. Still a lot of fun for a zombie game and the co-op stuff was great too if uneven in dealing out rewards.

Yeah, the big thing you want to remember is "beeline forward ASAP for the ability to make useful things", a mistake I also hit and had to be told to remedy. I hate that I have to say this but "if you still can't craft a pot yet, keep going". That was the first gateway for me where it felt like it had finally taken the rails off and let me do my own thing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That sounds like a terrible game all around. I know you guys are reminiscing about it, but seriously.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

some of the best games are bad games

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it seems like a generic survival craft em up like rust or valheim or whatever complete with generic zombies to stab
those games are really popular still! i don't know why though. they seem pretty uninteresting unless you're doing coop stuff

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only thing i remember about trying out the beta of metal gear survive is that the menus within menus within menus being a hideous nightmare

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Serephina posted:

That sounds like a terrible game all around. I know you guys are reminiscing about it, but seriously.
You can say the same for Earth Defense Force. In some of the games, you have to beat all missions to unlock the higher difficulties and its super weapons that nuke the battlefield and kill the team within seconds. EDF6 is 150 missions and you are spending about 30+ hours going through the game.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 16, 2023

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I really liked Survive but it was definitely slow about unlocking things. The 'build fence and poke through it with a spear' is just an effective combo that you get relatively early. Eventually you get rolling and have all kinds of tricks, guns, etc. They saved a lot of stuff (including whole bosses and things) for a sort of 'meta game' after the single player campaign as well. There is also a shitload of amazing end game stuff hidden behind the coop multiplayer (which I actually had fun with honestly).

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Survive also came out after Konami hosed Kojima and was purely a Konami creation.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Serephina posted:

its not that hard to enjoy a terrible game. I mean, look at how popular Blizzard games are

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Didn't we agree on not discussing Dark Souls anymore in this thread?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Triarii posted:

Some people tried to paint it as "the entire game is you just building a fence and then poking zombies through it with a pole" but that's something you do in, like, your first fight before you get better weapons.
The problem is in the complete lack of equipment variety. There's what, three guns? In Metal Gear where the gameplay is all about the toys and messing with enemies?

And yes, you unlock more stuff in postgame. The only trouble is that the postgame consists exclusively of lovely base defense missions.

e: And it reuses maps from MGS5. Can't have a decent craft'em'up without satisfying exploration. Ugh. I really wanted to like that game and it managed to disappoint in every regard.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 16, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is 30 guns and bows, with a couple dozen other weapons. Several grenades too. Many other structures you can make to block off, walk on, distract, etc.
You also have ways of fighting enemies with button prompts and depending on which enemies you fight, letting you do cool things to them.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 17, 2023

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I'm glad people mentioned Roadwarden, I'm really enjoying it. It release a year ago? I'm surprised I never heard of it until now.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Has anyone in the world actually played We are the Caretakers? Came out a couple of weeks back, but all the reviews are from its initial Early Access release in 2021. I remember playing its demo in a festival back in the day and finding its afro-futurist ecologist XCOM premise interesting.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

[Yakuza LAD Mahjongg]
The only part that sucks is Mahjongg, but you can cheese it if you want by getting a Mahjongg app and playing it on the highest difficulty possible. Then, when you enter a game, enter the LAD computer's turns in as your turns and do what the EXTREME difficultly does on yours in LAD.

Hey can I get more info about this? I've grabbed a couple mahjongg apps but none seem like they would let me cheese mahjongg in Yakuza. Maybe I'm just not understanding what this means.

Edit: if there's a way to cheat Mahjongg for maximum gains I would love to know :hmmyes:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 17, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the whole 'copy the ai' thing doesn't even make sense since mahjong is a poker type game all about drawing random cards/tiles and trying to make a winning hand???
like the tiles you draw in the mahjong app will obviously not be the same ones that kiryu's opponent draws in yakuza

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the whole 'copy the ai' thing doesn't even make sense since mahjong is a poker type game all about drawing random cards/tiles and trying to make a winning hand???
like the tiles you draw in the mahjong app will obviously not be the same ones that kiryu's opponent draws in yakuza

Yeah i don't know much a goddamn thing about Mahjongg but I feel like I know enough to realize that won't work with any mahjongg app off the app store.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah that strategy only works for chess, not anything that has an element of randomness (manjongg, all card games, etc).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

what is it that supposedly sucks about LAD's mahjongg anyway

mahjongg is fun (admittedly i only know riichi, but)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ciaphas posted:

I can't pull out a gun and shoot my opponent

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Begemot posted:

Yeah that strategy only works for chess, not anything that has an element of randomness (manjongg, all card games, etc).

although apparently yakuza has a Shogi minigame too, and Shogi is a chess-like boardgame that this would work for

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i mean neither can ichiban, or kiryu for that matter!!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah I assume they were thinking of the Shogi game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

mahjongg is fun (admittedly i only know riichi, but)

The only thing I can think of is that I don't think Yakuza mahjongg has a recommended tile assist, but other than that it is pretty good, in that you can bring up the rules and a list of winning hands at any time.

I think the real reason why mahjongg has a bad rap in Yakuza, AND I AM SAYING THIS AS SOMEONE WHO LIKES MAHJONGG AND BASICALLY BRUTE FORCED MY WAY INTO LEARNING IT VIA THE YAKUZA GAMES, is that riichi mahjongg itself is a mess of not easily understood, often contradictory rules.

That said, my advice to anyone who wants to learn mahjongg is to never, ever meld (call chi or pon) unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 17, 2023

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i like the windows 95 mahjong where you match the pairs on the pyramids

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Mahjong solitaire isn't actual mahjong....

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

mystes posted:

Mahjong solitaire isn't actual mahjong....

sure it is, it's right there in the title

mystes
May 31, 2006

okay, you've got me

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

*dusts off hands* another productive conversation in the steam games thread

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cowcaster posted:

I preferred Chip's Challenge personally.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Angry at this thread for irresponsibly neglecting to recommend the best Metal Gear games, Syphon Filter and WinBack.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I preferred Chip's Challenge personally.

hell yeah that was the first video game I ever played and I was genuinely so happy when we got chip's challenge 2 randomly one day

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Good news nostalgia buffs

https://store.steampowered.com/app/346850/Chips_Challenge_1/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/348300/Chips_Challenge_2/

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
You can't kill The Final Boss of Metal Gear Survive until you teach it the concept of death.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Croccers posted:

You can't kill The Final Boss of Metal Gear Survive until you teach it the concept of death.

Which rules. That scene absolutely rules.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

secretly best girl posted:

Which rules. That scene absolutely rules.

Now I am curious and have to watch this.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Portable Ops might be skippable and Peace Walker's kinda hard to come by outside of emulating the PSP version with its weird control scheme (or maybe the PS3 version with the beter one if that's possible?) but they do have very cool main themes both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr9rMO7GKj4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDajkN_GBC4

Unlucky7 posted:

The only thing I can think of is that I don't think Yakuza mahjongg has a recommended tile assist, but other than that it is pretty good, in that you can bring up the rules and a list of winning hands at any time.

I think the real reason why mahjongg has a bad rap in Yakuza, AND I AM SAYING THIS AS SOMEONE WHO LIKES MAHJONGG AND BASICALLY BRUTE FORCED MY WAY INTO LEARNING IT VIA THE YAKUZA GAMES, is that riichi mahjongg itself is a mess of not easily understood, often contradictory rules.

That said, my advice to anyone who wants to learn mahjongg is to never, ever meld (call chi or pon) unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

I'm a little curious which mahjong rules you find contradictory, some of the point calculation stuff can be kinda arcane but it's not super relevant unless you're digging real deep into it. I did also learn mahjong from Yakuza, and ended up liking it enough that I played a whole bunch of it online afterwards. It's fun! Bullshit at times just like most games of that nature, but fun!

Shogi though, just the idea of getting legitimately good at it hurts my brain.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 17, 2023

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Cowcaster posted:

:same:

I didn’t know there was any other kind…and I have like 4 Mahjong apps (with literal hundreds of “shapes”) on my iPad and PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mah dong lmao