Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

3 Houses had very distinctive names. Everyone in this game looks alike and the names aren't memorable at all. I'm still having fun but it's very anime

e: Sorry I don't really mean anime, just like very childish

I'll get over it

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Endorph posted:

no non-alear s supports/paired endings is lame, though. maybe they can patch some in?

This one sucks. I hope this still means they get an ending slide of some sort.

Lord Koth posted:

Saphir is 35.

:psyduck:

Vander being 45 I can buy since his eyes don't look that old and he might just have gotten white hair early. Hell maybe his hair is naturally white. But 35??

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

oh my gerd I miss 3 Hopes. I hate being called by a title and not a name, and it's been at least 20 times these 2 hours alone lol

gameplay rules though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean everyone in three houses called you professor

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

And in Three Hopes it was Mercenary even if given how old Shez is there's a good chance they've been working as a general (in AG and SB) for as long as they were properly a merc anyway.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Endorph posted:

i mean everyone in three houses called you professor

Eimi posted:

And in Three Hopes it was Mercenary even if given how old Shez is there's a good chance they've been working as a general (in AG and SB) for as long as they were properly a merc anyway.

I know, and I loved 3 Houses. Maybe it's the 2 words

You're both right, maybe it's just how Divine One sounds to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in jp its just 'shinryu-sama' which sounds less clunky than 'divine dragon'/'divine one' i feel like

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wish they called us Immaculate One

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Customizable names for the protagonist don't work at all in voice acted games where people address the protagonist directly all the time. There always has to be some workaround nickname/title that always sounds super forced.

It's even funnier in the recent FE games where the protagonist can befriend and fall in love with other characters to the point where they want to marry you but they still call you by your stupid title.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Considering I'm 3 hours in and that's the only thing I cared to complain about, don't want to seem negative it's really good

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it's pretty goofy here and i think they should just not let you rename the player character in future

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No renaming the character, minor appearance options, dialogue boxes to respond to voice acted characters with occasionally.

I wanna be able to pop out of my casket Anna or Sothis-sized and have people disbelieving that I'm up to the hype.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id just have the player character have a changeable real name and then an alias they use that is also a name, or smth. like say the protagonist is a divine warrior whose lineage all take up the name, idk, Jeff, when going into combat. and then you can have everyone just go 'hi jeff' in cutscenes and then in paired endings you can have the va go 'your true name? you will truly tell me... i am so grateful, lord...' and then cut away before they have to say your real name. thatd work i think. peace.

but its also a tl issue partially because referring to someone just by a title is way more commonplace and comes across less awkward in jp.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How are people are able to play? I thought it came out on the 20th?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JBP posted:

the rom leaked. presumably some stores are breaking street date.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

JBP posted:

There's a whole bunch of broken street date copies and of course whenever that happens someone inevitably makes a rom dump.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ah fair enough, thanks. I thought maybe there was some preorder thing or whatever.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Is renaming the MC/MU even that common practice? I know I wouldn't exactly be heartbroken if they just set it in stone. Like why even have defaults like Robin/Corrin/Byleth if they're never used? It all feels vestigial considering they're not truly blank template characters. Corrin was a dumb name though but chalk that up with the rest of the arbitrary and terrible name changes.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

JBP posted:

Emulation + Deck esp makes things crazy rampant now

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Syrnn posted:

Is renaming the MC/MU even that common practice? I know I wouldn't exactly be heartbroken if they just set it in stone. Like why even have defaults like Robin/Corrin/Byleth if they're never used? It all feels vestigial considering they're not truly blank template characters. Corrin was a dumb name though but chalk that up with the rest of the arbitrary and terrible name changes.

In this battle alone I've been called Divine One 8 times, just... don't have them voice the title that much. or every time I talk to an NPC lol. Sorry again I know it's dumb and it's interrupting me playing, but Divine One, Divine One, Divine One

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

default names are mostly used for secondary material like manga, smash brothers, appearances in spinoff games, etc. what would they call corrin and byleth in this game if their default names didnt exist.

that said i agree being able to rename them doesnt really add much. it made sense in fe7 because it was meant to be the characters basically addressing you the player to ease you into the gameplay, FE12 kind of carried that idea on, and fe13 was calling back to it, but the modern games having full VA and also not really building on that premise nearly as much makes it awkward.

Barreft posted:

In this battle alone I've been called Divine One 8 times, just... don't have them voice the title that much. or every time I talk to an NPC lol. Sorry again I know it's dumb and it's interrupting me playing, but Divine One, Divine One, Divine One
like i said 'shinryu-sama' comes across much less awkward so id blame the tl more than the writing

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Make that 9 lol

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Syrnn posted:

The defaults are there both because you need some kind of name if the player doesn't feel like making one up, and also because you need a name to identify them in marketing/crossover stuff beyond "FE17_Protagonist".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You know, it'd be kinda neat if people had regional or personal variants on how they addressed you actually. Divine One, Exalted One, Your Grace, My Liege, Commander, etc.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Divine One is very awful lol

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'd rather they just be named Robin/Corrin/Byleth/Alear, that's what I think of them as anyway, and hearing their name is worth way more than changing their name to my gamertag or whatever.

RareAcumen posted:

You know, it'd be kinda neat if people had regional or personal variants on how they addressed you actually. Divine One, Exalted One, Your Grace, My Liege, Commander, etc.

That would be fine too.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Kanos posted:

"FE17_Protagonist"

And just like that, I've found what my Divine One's true name is going to be. Cheers!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Every single person is voiced calling me Divine One when doing anything. I wish I didn't notice this cause it's going to drive me loving nuts for the next 100 hours

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I was going to suggest even just "my lord" if everyone in Japanese is giving you the -sama treatment. Dragon Quest VIII everyone called you Guv'na or guv, which rules.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's even when they level up??? noooo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You're just going to have to embrace it and get into yoga

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it makes more sense when the player character is a more direct self-insert but they've pretty much removed most stuff there now, no character customisation, not a silent protag, etc.

and yeah the translation should have certainly handled it in a less awkward way here but idk what would have been a good choice exactly. 'professor' was fine in three houses because that's very natural in english but 'divine one' gets goofy very quickly if it's said too much. probably just 'my lord' would have been decent in a lot of cases idk

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

look if i was chatting it up with a mega dragon god i'd def suck up to them with divine ones so i don't get smited

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I just have to appreciate being divine, i'm definitely getting there

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Are there any mounted mages (discounting Ivy and Hortensia) in the class list, Mage Knight or Valkyrie or the like?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

Are there any mounted mages (discounting Ivy and Hortensia) in the class list, Mage Knight or Valkyrie or the like?
Mage Knight exists, yeah. Magic + A melee physical weapon of their choice. No staves. Their class skill gives them bonus damage when attacking phys units with magic and magic units with phys. Given Clanne's decent str growth it seems like an intended class for him.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Endorph posted:

Mage Knight exists, yeah. Magic + A melee physical weapon of their choice. No staves. Their class skill gives them bonus damage when attacking phys units with magic and magic units with phys. Given Clanne's decent str growth it seems like an intended class for him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Booky posted:

look if i was chatting it up with a mega dragon god i'd def suck up to them with divine ones so i don't get smited

I'd love if the game got goofy with the camera directing. Just mid conversation they zoom in on Alear's eyes going dragon/lizard mode.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alright, cool. do Thieves get Assassin or Trickster or is Thief back to being a special class with a higher level cap or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

Alright, cool. do Thieves get Assassin or Trickster or is Thief back to being a special class with a higher level cap or something

latter. marisa from fe8's bond ring gives lethality tho so you can make a makeshift assassin.