Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

https://twitter.com/Defence_IDA/status/1614932757708242944

those crosses look too small to be for aerial recognition

I'm pretty sure that isn't even an oplot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Cuttlefush posted:

weren't you a member of the united states armed forces at one point

he deffo posts like a piece of poo poo troop

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

mlmp08 posted:

Raytheon and US forces advise and train KSA on Patriot. But the operation of Saudi Patriot is performed by Saudis. Americans do not operate their systems for them and likely wouldn’t be invited to anyway.

us doesn't directly operate any other countries equipment for them outside of like, nato exercises, do they? like service and stuff yeah but actually operating things seems like it would be an easy way to accidentally get dragged into wars & cause all sorts of accountability problems if something bad happened

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Turtle Watch posted:

Hello my name is Mogra Doomblade, I am 9 year old orc girl from CSPAM and my thread cries out for pedantry. Please send Mikoyan Gureyevich 08 “Fishmech” advanced poster platform with full New York Times access and Defense Intelligence Department capabilities so my thread will be free from non-tedious discussion.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

world war 3? And in Europe again? Boy these sequels are getting lamer and lamer.

There's going to be a Finno-Korean Hyperwar twist, though! :pseudo:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Slavvy posted:

Yeah that's just a normal T-84

e: the main difference in recognition is that the flappy bits on the turret of the T-84 are more numerous and rectangular, and the ones on the Oplot are fewer in number and squarer.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
revolver oplot.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

FirstnameLastname posted:

us doesn't directly operate any other countries equipment for them outside of like, nato exercises, do they? like service and stuff yeah but actually operating things seems like it would be an easy way to accidentally get dragged into wars & cause all sorts of accountability problems if something bad happened

Correct, generally not. There are things like having an exchange where an American goes to serve on a foreign ship and the foreign country sends someone to serve on a US ship or something. But not just US forces operating equipment on behalf of a foreign force in their country/conflict. And even with exchanges those can come with national caveats agreeing only to specific missions and not free reign to retask people to new missions that can cause entanglements.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

:gb2gbs:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

Correct, generally not. There are things like having an exchange where an American goes to serve on a foreign ship and the foreign country sends someone to serve on a US ship or something. But not just US forces operating equipment on behalf of a foreign force in their country/conflict. And even with exchanges those can come with national caveats agreeing only to specific missions and not free reign to retask people to new missions that can cause entanglements.

Anything stopping them from just hiring a bunch of recently retired US air defence personnel to do the work?

They already have hired help for everything from construction to medicine so why not hire contractors to do AD as well.

They'll definitely do a better job than the inbred aristocrat in command.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Z the IVth posted:

Anything stopping them from just hiring a bunch of recently retired US air defence personnel to do the work?

They already have hired help for everything from construction to medicine so why not hire contractors to do AD as well.

They'll definitely do a better job than the inbred aristocrat in command.

china's been doing that with pilots haven't they?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Slavyangrad posted:

Servant of the People" Bezuhlya to command Ukrainian troops in Artemovsk

Maryana Bezuglaya has already arrived in Artemovsk, where she is being held in one of the "cold cellars." Despite the absurdity of the situation, Bezuglaya is really responsible for commuting with many foreign mercenary groups and NATO advisers.

Bezuglaya's previous "fight" was near Severodonetsk, the outcome of which is known. Interestingly, the situation in Artemovsk is reminiscent of the "Severodonetsk noose," when by all laws of logic, the AFU should not have waited for encirclement and retreated, but Zelensky insisted on holding the city.

At that time, in addition to the usual fighters of the AFU, dozens and possibly hundreds of foreign mercenaries and SDF fighters, which were used as regular infantry, were killed. The latter caused an escalation of the conflict between General Kryvonos and Bankova.

Join Slavyangrad chat. Your opinion matters.
https://t.me/+PUg0rQrZdiw4YWFh

#source
@Slavyangrad
Join SLG 🔺 Intelligence Briefings, Strategy and Analysis, Expert Community
(from t.me/Slavyangrad/29196, via tgsa)

touch of death for bakhmut's garrison

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z the IVth posted:

Yeah, US code forbids it. The closest they could get is becoming a US-based contractor whose parent company is hired to provide training or maintenance support through FMS contracts. But working for the foreign government’s contractors or manning the system is not allowed, barring some kind of waiver.

Trying to circumvent would jeopardize FMS, so Saudi Arabia is better off leveraging USMTM and TAFT to train their own forces.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
middle eastern countries hiring american mercenaries to fight their wars for them ? ? Its against the law so surely it would never happen !

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

OctaMurk posted:

middle eastern countries hiring american mercenaries to fight their wars for them ? ? Its against the law so surely it would never happen !

It’s not against the law if you just convince a head of government to do it openly!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

it's devastating that the psycho wojak article 5 poland memes are 100% accurate

this isn't a pscho wojak one but it's still lol

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Doktor Avalanche posted:

this isn't a pscho wojak one but it's still lol

lol

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Intel Slava Z posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
🇷🇺🇺🇦 Our fighters shot down a huge enemy drone carrying 4 grenades

The monster was brought down with small arms fire. This is not the first drone of this type that our soldiers shoot down.
(from t.me/intelslava/43448, via tgsa)

this one's a hexacopter/sexcopter with six rotors right?

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

CBC is heartbroken to announce that a Canadian volunteer medic has died in Ukraine, family says

oh, a volunteer medic, cool beans! wait, zerocool, enhance:

https://twitter.com/TrackANaziMerc/status/1582220738504687616

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

for real why are the most hardcore nazis so often reported as medics in the press. Do they require their medics be the ideological vanguard for some reason or do they just have a style guide of claiming to be medics for western press.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There's probably going to be more Ukrainians coming back to Vancouver that the ones who left when all of this is said and done.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Best Friends posted:

for real why are the most hardcore nazis so often reported as medics in the press. Do they require their medics be the ideological vanguard for some reason or do they just have a style guide of claiming to be medics for western press.

combat medics get clout because they're ostensibly performing the most important job on the field.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Is the guy from the Straight Pipes YouTube channel going over to fight? He was getting poo poo for not speaking out at the beginning of the special military operation.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Best Friends posted:

medics r good and save life . . . How can nazi be bad, if medic ?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

Vitalii Tsekhmistrenko said he and his wife had travelled to Kyiv from Canada to spend Christmas with their son. They were all together for the holidays.

drat, should have just went home with them.

I guess he can get his name on the victims of communism memorial or whatever the gently caress the SS 14th Galicia one we have here is called.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/josepbastardas/status/1613531690164527104?s=20

what's euro media like on the war? is the clip at all indicative of a turn of opinion?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

they should end the war in my humble opinion.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

what's euro media like on the war? is the clip at all indicative of a turn of opinion?

It's not a war, its a special military operation!

If the USA gets to call a recession anything but then Russia gets to call a war a high stakes LARP re-enactment.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Best Friends posted:

does this mean medic from TF2 is a nazi?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Tankbuster posted:

I mean that was the joke right?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

Valve said he wasn't. I assume because he, like his good friend Dr. Vahlen, is so hosed up and insane that even the nazis want nothing to do with him

I always found it very funny that Vahlen was doing poo poo that was beyond the pale for the ethereals, the people who were going to turn an entire species into goo so they could have anime bodies

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

crepeface posted:

lol, not even close

the general mood in op-eds these recent weeks have been that no matter how the ukraine conflict is resolved or what happens to putin, it is our legal and moral obligation to fight a forever war with russia until they balkanize and demilitarize forever.

there was a semi-famous cooking influencer here that got in the news a few weeks ago for using his patreon money to buy signed artillery shells for ukraine.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Slavvy posted:

Does the oplot still use the hull autoloader that other soviet tanks use? How does it also have ammo stored in the turret bustle?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Koba posted:

lol, not even close

the general mood in op-eds these recent weeks have been that no matter how the ukraine conflict is resolved or what happens to putin, it is our legal and moral obligation to fight a forever war with russia until they balkanize and demilitarize forever.

there was a semi-famous cooking influencer here that got in the news a few weeks ago for using his patreon money to buy signed artillery shells for ukraine.

I've got a classic Bagdad Bob image on standby I've been saving for when the situation reaches the right time.

Don't know what the subtitles will be or which side it will mock. Both ideally.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

Does the oplot still use the hull autoloader that other soviet tanks use? How does it also have ammo stored in the turret bustle?

The largest number of oplots ever in operation, which was prior to the invasion, was about twelve. So to answer your question I'm pretty sure the answer is who the gently caress knows, they probably didn't do much of anything.

Anyway you can reload the auto loader cassette from inside the tank so presumably that's how that works, you can see it in action in the tank biathlon when the crew have to load the ammo from the outside of the tank then go shoot at cardboard while accidentally ramming the other tanks. Tank is hard.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ardennes posted:

Anyway despite other statements, there were two impacts which suggests something interrupted its flight.

In all honesty, people are going to keep on dying either way because missiles are going to be shot down and often enough they aren't completely taken out, which isn't great when you are talking about urban areas and more tragic events are going to happen.
The next missile defense system that does result in a spray of missile debris will be the first

Ardennes posted:

It is, and it is why it is really sad because it is just going to be this for a quite a while. Honestly, the only real thing that can be done at this point is get people out of the country but even that really isn't fully possible. A lot of people just have no where to go (or are simply tied to where they are for a multitude of reasons) and it is just going to get worse.

War has always been and will always be well...poo poo.

And it doesn't help that social services in the west are largely already stretched overthin by neoliberal policy

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 09:40 on Jan 17, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Best Friends posted:

people in general who have admiration for the military from afar tend to end up selecting medic because it allows you join as a troop, but without requiring you to be a gunfighter per se, or otherwise expose yourself to front-line fire

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

mlmp08 posted:

I don't like to post LOLMEMES in response to indiscriminate attacks on civilians, but you are your own person.

Mate your posting can get pretty dire but I wouldn't call it a war crime.
More seriously though, have you seen enough reports of KH-22s missing to suggest that they have a higher failure rate than say a tomahawk during the Gulf war, ~15%?

There's the Combined Maritime Forces, which is a multinational group commanded by an American admiral based out of Bahrain that does fun stuff like blockade the Houthis. It's made up of ships from member nations and I'm pretty sure crews are often multinational so I'm guessing there are American troops on other countries' boats, but it's under American command.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1614931970815037440

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
What if he is Otto Skorzeny?