Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Typically a little spare key is contained within the fob and you can insert it into a hidden keyhole

Yeah I have one of those. There's a little physical key you can pull out of the keycard to use if things go wrong. Never had to use it yet.

I have an EV, an entry-level Renault one, nowt posh like a Tesla. But it has normal car controls, stalks for the indicators and lights, a doohickey on the right hand side of the steering wheel column that lets me change the volume or station on the radio or answer the phone without having to take my hands off the wheel. There is a screen, but I only need to touch it if I want to set up a gps route, I'd hate to have to try to poke at it whilst actually driving. That picture someone posted of a tesla wheel with capacitive buttons on the actual wheel for the indicators made me wince, that must be *awful*. I have a gaming steering wheel thingy for the ps5 and that has a dpad and buttons on it and I hate trying to use them while I'm driving in a game and the wheel is rotated, it's annoying and confusing. Why anyone would put that in an actual car is beyond me.

I'm glad that tesla started a push towards EVs across the whole car industry, but I'm also glad to have an EV made by an experienced car manufacturer that understands a UI meant for driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

For all his flaws, Trump was at least a poster, deranged tweets right from his syphilitic brain to your feed, Elon is equally lovely but needs a team of aging hack comedy writers to come up with "let that sink in", SAD

Every day that goes by without Trump tweeting is killing another brain cell in Elon, lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

zedprime posted:

Elon still bitter his banking code wasn't even good enough for Paypal to keep using let alone a traditional bank.

Banks will go to great lengths to teach random accountants COBOL just to avoid tech bros who think COBOL or chron jobs are bad because they are old.

COBOL is actually very bad but lmao cron basically runs the whole world

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

QuarkJets posted:

COBOL is actually very bad but lmao cron basically runs the whole world

COBOL's bad but most of those types of tech bros just want to replace it with something worse, like Node.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Neito posted:

COBOL's bad but most of those types of tech bros just want to replace it with something worse, like Node.

Do it in Flash IMO.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

For all his flaws, Trump was at least a poster, deranged tweets right from his syphilitic brain to your feed, Elon is equally lovely but needs a team of aging hack comedy writers to come up with "let that sink in", SAD
Elon is a reply guy first and foremost

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

BigglesSWE posted:

Every day that goes by without Trump tweeting is killing another brain cell in Elon, lol

He'll be braindead soon then

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The Lone Badger posted:

Do it in Flash IMO.

Finally a hardcore coder

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Random Stranger posted:

Trump sleeps under the greens at Mar-a-Lago....
Now have this stuck in my head to the closing chorus of "I am the Mob" by Catatonia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41SkP55Xyjk&t=139s

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ain't broke, don't fix it

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The Lone Badger posted:

Do it in Flash IMO.

Best I can do is shockwave

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Just make sure you take after modern developers and use Floats to keep track of account balances. Can't forget about those pennies and eurocents!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apparently locked accounts are leaking

https://twitter.com/CaelanConrad/status/1615124904365391874

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Who are you gonna trust? Twitter or ur lying eyebulbs?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I don’t have one, but I know some cars have the thing where you carry the key fob and they just… unlock when you’re near? You don’t turn the ignition either, just carry the key and press the start button.

Could those have a similar problem in emergencies? Just curious

mine is like this, just touch the door handle and it unlocks.

Of course it usually stops working when you really need it the most (when carrying heavy things or its raining or both) forcing you to awkwardly fumble around in your pocket to push the button on the fob instead...

Its does have a hidden key for emergencies, but there is no way to "start" the car without the button because there is no ignition switch (just a gap where is would be)

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

The taliban? I haven’t thought about those guys in years. Surprised they’re still together.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Typically a little spare key is contained within the fob and you can insert it into a hidden keyhole

Tesla do actually have a non-window-breaking solution for this, but it assumes you have access to a car battery or 12V mains adapter.

If you open the tow hook hatch, as well as the tow hook, two little wires will flop out, red and black. Attach the 12V, all the low voltage systems will power up, including the main computer if it's functional. The door locks should work without the main computer (at least if you use the Tesla keycards instead of a phone to try and unlock), but who knows with that nonsense.

Even better, if you need to get into your frunk in any situation, even if it's not your car, there's a release under the bumper. Just a lever any burglar can pull at any time. This is because the emergency battery disconnect is in there, so firemen need a lever to pull to get to it.

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

front trunk

it's a word

because what the hell else would you call it when your car has a trunk in both the front and rear

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

stinky ox posted:

I'm glad that tesla started a push towards EVs across the whole car industry, but I'm also glad to have an EV made by an experienced car manufacturer that understands a UI meant for driving.

tesla ui, design, and build quality are the automotive equivalent of groverhaus prove me wrong

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

ishikabibble posted:

front trunk

it's a word

because what the hell else would you call it when your car has a trunk in both the front and rear

A hood trunk, a hunk

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The gaping maw

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ishikabibble posted:

front trunk

it's a word

You'd call it a trunk still, but I think it's illegal to do that if you're a huge dork

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
The frunk opens and closes automatically to collect pedestrians. Free pedestrians.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

This is the end of the world as we know it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Things that are absolutely never gonna happen dot txt

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1615196890643202048?s=46&t=5jUfQBDmdOzGF7QGM-Gj-g

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Can't all this bank software be made redundant with vba and an excel spreadsheet?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

The Butcher posted:

The frunk opens and closes automatically to collect pedestrians. Free pedestrians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFuW_sfaPk0<

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

ishikabibble posted:

front trunk

it's a word

In England it’s a froot

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

the british call it a froot
edit: fuuuuck, didn't refresh the thread

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

Buce posted:

The taliban? I haven’t thought about those guys in years. Surprised they’re still together.

you gotta hand it to them

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

QuarkJets posted:

You'd call it a trunk still, but I think it's illegal to do that if you're a huge dork

If you set it to UK English it just calls it the "bonnet" like usual, they were too chicken to call it the fronnet.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Spectracide posted:

you gotta hand it to them

Well, it's not like they're ISIS or anything.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FirstnameLastname posted:

george soros is responsible for a loooot of pro-democracy work in eastern europe, especially in the mid-90s/early 00s & specifically former soviet/warsaw pact states

this is a big reason why there's that huge russia-fueled rightwing hate fest directed towards him while nobody on the other side of american politics really knows who he is or what he does.

he doesn't really do much in u.s. politics, compared to what he's done in countries like georgia and iirc like slovakia, czechia, moldova, ukraine etc.

his whole big thing is just open democracy as far as I know unless he's truly got some sinister hidden motive, which, I'd never put past any billionaire to have

but afaik he's actually quite benign unless you're an autocrat or wannabe autocrat

im not an expert on the guy tho so fact check this before repeating it pls

Billionaires are inherent malign existences, OP.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Elon has made an important discovery about the BBC. Gonna need a whole twitter files series to further explore this revelation

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Buce posted:

The taliband? I haven’t thought about those guys in years. Surprised they’re still together.

Come on it was right there

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Azhais posted:

Elon has made an important discovery about the BBC. Gonna need a whole twitter files series to further explore this revelation

His brain is gonna melt (more) when he learns the sinister meanings behind the ABC and CBC networks.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Soros's first language was appearntly Esperanto which is kinda neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

ishikabibble posted:

front trunk

it's a word

trussy