Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Literally gently caress a candle or visit Ireland sometimes. I don't even care if it's space Ireland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Space Ireland was cancelled during the temporal troubles.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

wasn't space ireland bajor

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

There are plenty of space Irelands around.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Feldegast42 posted:

Bajor is Space Israel

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bajor is Space Israel

Wait, then who was Bajor stolen from?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Gul Dukat.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bajor is Space Israel

It's Space Palestine, but easy to get the two mixed up!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Space Israel but after the space Israelis have been kicked out

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

BonHair posted:

Gul Dukat.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The promised (by Central Command) land

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bajorans are written so horribly it would be a hate crime to equate them with any single real life ethnic group or nationality.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tom Guycot posted:

The Skrreea. :can:

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Shame that her character has the same problem than almost all support characters and many main characters that are not-Burnham suffer, she is barely in the show.

At least with Reno there's a *reason*. Notro only agreed to do the show part-time.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Twincityhacker posted:

At least with Reno there's a *reason*. Notro only agreed to do the show part-time.

The fact that you really do not notice her working only part-time with the show only underlines the problems DISCO has with its characters.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

The fact that you really do not notice her working only part-time with the show only underlines the problems DISCO has with its characters.

Only on Discovery could the ship's chief engineer disappear for 3/4s of a season and it be counted as one of the show's smaller problems :v:

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Only on Discovery could the ship's chief engineer disappear for 3/4s of a season and it be counted as one of the show's smaller problems :v:

Reno not the chief enginer. We never see the cheif enginer There has never been mention of who the chief enginer is, or mention that the the chief enginer is doing something off-screen.

The closest we get is a bit of set dressing that mentions that *Stamets* is the chief enginer, but the show staff is on record that Stamets being called "chief enginer" is a mistake.

The same situation applies to the chief medical officer, with the exception of a line in the first season that Dr. Culber was scheduled to help them with a Andoran tonsillectemy later on in the day.

There's some speculation in the fandom who has those two roles ( Chief Medical Officer is Dr. Tracy Pollard, and Reno is promoted to Chief Enginer post-time jump because the chief enginer elected to stay in the past ) but there's no firm answers to who fills those roles anywhere in the series.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Twincityhacker posted:

Reno not the chief enginer. We never see the cheif enginer There has never been mention of who the chief enginer is, or mention that the the chief enginer is doing something off-screen.

The closest we get is a bit of set dressing that mentions that *Stamets* is the chief enginer, but the show staff is on record that Stamets being called "chief enginer" is a mistake.

The same situation applies to the chief medical officer, with the exception of a line in the first season that Dr. Culber was scheduled to help them with a Andoran tonsillectemy later on in the day.

There's some speculation in the fandom who has those two roles ( Chief Medical Officer is Dr. Tracy Pollard, and Reno is promoted to Chief Enginer post-time jump because the chief enginer elected to stay in the past ) but there's no firm answers to who fills those roles anywhere in the series.

So the USS Discovery NCC-1031-A is basically just one of those Silicon Valley bullshit "flat hierarchy" tech startups that's really just a glorified adult daycare center, the ones with the silly sides and nap times and juice boxes and the scrungy puzzle piece indoor playground floors with bright colours and letters and numbers on them. Everyone just shows up and does whatever job they feel like doing that day, except for Micheal--Michael Burnham is the boss, she's the only one who's above all the rest of you plebs, everyone else... eh, just try to make it LOOK like you got something done today, I'll be in my office crying in the corner in the fetal position

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Christ, I get why the Discovery writers room loves Elon Musk so much now. Just like Apartheid Clyde, they ALSO are unable to understand what an Org Chart is :rolleyes:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Reading about Discovery always makes me think of the bit in the Star Trek writers' guide where Roddenberry goes on and on about how BELIEVABILITY is critical to the show, and all the little details that add up to making viewers believe this is a real ship run by trained professionals need to be there.

Meanwhile the Disco writers are like "so did we say who the chief engineer actually is, or can we just have whoever say some science stuff and be done with it?" on their shroom ship in a future where a kid screamed and all the starships everywhere exploded.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Christ, I get why the Discovery writers room loves Elon Musk so much now. Just like Apartheid Clyde, they ALSO are unable to understand what an Org Chart is :rolleyes:

Leave the writers room out of this - they put in zero Musk references. The other departments are more guilty, as the dialog mention was an adlib and the other reference was set design.

As the Discovery organizational issues: while we never meet either the Chief Enginer or Chief Medical Officer, there's no reason to belive they aren't there. Discovery is really stingy when it comes to recurring charecters outside of the main cast and bridge crew - Dr. Pollard is the only named medical staff, Reno is the only named enginer, Linus is the only named science officer, ect.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Twincityhacker posted:

Leave the writers room out of this - they put in zero Musk references. The other departments are more guilty, as the dialog mention was an adlib and the other reference was set design.

As the Discovery organizational issues: while we never meet either the Chief Enginer or Chief Medical Officer, there's no reason to belive they aren't there. Discovery is really stingy when it comes to recurring charecters outside of the main cast and bridge crew - Dr. Pollard is the only named medical staff, Reno is the only named enginer, Linus is the only named science officer, ect.

It's been five years. If they ain't shown up by now, they ain't showing up. Also I thought Culber was Discovery's CMO. Are you telling me that if I actually watch this show it will actually somehow make LESS sense than just picking poo poo up about it through cultural osmosis? :what:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Payndz posted:

Reading about Discovery always makes me think of the bit in the Star Trek writers' guide where Roddenberry goes on and on about how BELIEVABILITY is critical to the show, and all the little details that add up to making viewers believe this is a real ship run by trained professionals need to be there.

It will always be hilarious that Roddenberry's example of "unbelievable things to avoid having happen"... uh, happened, literally and exactly. And in one of the best drat episodes of the whole series, no less.

Paraphrasing here, but the example was basically in a scenario where the ship is about to be hit by a powerful weapon which may well kill them all, in the last few seconds before impact, the Captain takes the beautiful young female Yeoman into his arms. Which, of course, happens near the beginning of Balance of Terror.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

It's been five years. If they ain't shown up by now, they ain't showing up. Also I thought Culber was Discovery's CMO. Are you telling me that if I actually watch this show it will actually somehow make LESS sense than just picking poo poo up about it through cultural osmosis? :what:

My point is less "they could show up" and more "just because they don't show up, doesn't mean they don't exist."

Cultural osmoiss smooths out all the consistantcies of the show, unless said inconsistancies are werid enough to be a drawing point to the show. Like in this forum: most people know the basic deal of Discovery, but also that "the Burn was caused by a headache."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

There's another doctor who I believe is the CMO but she's rarely around

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's another doctor who I believe is the CMO but she's rarely around

Yeah. Due to the tendency of Star Trek having only one doctor at a time, most of Dr. Tracy Pollard's screentime when Dr. Culber was dead. Dr. Pollard first appears after Dr. Culber dies, and after Dr. Culber comes back to life you see only really see Dr. Pollard during mass casulaty events or when Dr. Culber needs medical treatment himself.

It's a good assumption that Dr. Pollard is CMO, but it's never confirmed. The most organic time to bring it up was when introducting the crew to Pike and when the crew are introviewed by Star Fleet in the future. Dr. Pollard is in neither of those episodes tho.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Twincityhacker posted:

Yeah. Due to the tendency of Star Trek having only one doctor at a time, most of Dr. Tracy Pollard's screentime when Dr. Culber was dead. Dr. Pollard first appears after Dr. Culber dies, and after Dr. Culber comes back to life you see only really see Dr. Pollard during mass casulaty events or when Dr. Culber needs medical treatment himself.

It's a good assumption that Dr. Pollard is CMO, but it's never confirmed. The most organic time to bring it up was when introducting the crew to Pike and when the crew are introviewed by Star Fleet in the future. Dr. Pollard is in neither of those episodes tho.

Starfleet Doctors are subject to the Laws of Conservation of Ninjitsu.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

DISCO's characters are its strength tbh, I like all of them. It's just that I don't think the writers really know what to do with them.
I've seen every episode and I still don't know most of their names. Even ones I like.

There's Burnham, Saru, Tilly, Stamets, Reno, Robot Gal, Officer Eyepiece, Ensign Enby, Doctor Stamets' Husband, Not Shepherd Book, and... I literally can't remember anybody else on this show.

It wasn't until Season three that they even bothered trying to make me like any of the cast without it being a misdirect or the episode where they die.

I don't mind Disco. I really like the cast, and it's not like the writing's been poo poo-awful or anything, but like Picard, it feels like it's written by two guys on cocaine who keep thinking the other one is doing the foundation-building so they can focus on their BIG IDEAS.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

Starfleet Doctors are subject to the Laws of Conservation of Ninjitsu.

It's why they sent all the other EMH Mk. Is to the dithtium mines, so that The Doctor could be the most powerful of them all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The biggest problem with Disco is that they still focus the show on Burnham as the 'main character', so there are rarely if ever any episodes where the secondary cast gets to do anything. It wasn't until Season 3 that they even really attempted to do anything with the bridge crew (the ones that are not Burnham, Saru, or Tilly).

In the last two seasons the main focus is Burnham, Book, Saru, Stamets (although not to a huge extent), Culber, Tilly (although she leaves Disco early in S4). Adira is somewhat involved but moreso in Season 3 where we kind of get an arc with them to a degree. Some of the guest characters like the UFP President and Dadmiral get more screentime than most of the bridge crew (specifically Owo, Detmer, and then the others who are barely characters and a few of which are written off the show).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

The biggest problem with Disco is that they still focus the show on Burnham as the 'main character', so there are rarely if ever any episodes where the secondary cast gets to do anything. It wasn't until Season 3 that they even really attempted to do anything with the bridge crew (the ones that are not Burnham, Saru, or Tilly).

Early in season 2, they had Captain Pike make a point of learning the name of everyone on the bridge crew, and all the fans were so happy that the rest of the ensemble crew were finally coming into their own, and then... yeah...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I like the lack of hierarchy in Discovery. It actually sells the idea that Starfleet isn't a military.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

Early in season 2, they had Captain Pike make a point of learning the name of everyone on the bridge crew, and all the fans were so happy that the rest of the ensemble crew were finally coming into their own, and then... yeah...

Fun Fact: Nilsson, the person who replaced Airim as spore ops officer, two and a half seasons later, *still* does not have a first name in the tv show.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Twincityhacker posted:

They reference Musk a second time in dialogue but it was specifically to say he sucks

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Twincityhacker posted:

Fun Fact: Nilsson, the person who replaced Airim as spore ops officer, two and a half seasons later, *still* does not have a first name in the tv show.

I mean, Uhura and Sulu never got first names. Disco's just following in a grand tradition!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Twincityhacker posted:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Gates

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Fighting Trousers posted:

I mean, Uhura and Sulu never got first names. Disco's just following in a grand tradition!

I'm not well versed in the canon most of Star Trek so I had to look it up, and LOL. LAMO.

"Hikaru" got squeaked into "The Undiscovered Country" but "Nyota" had to wait until the reboot!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

Good old Octopus Head!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPAwkliBd-s&ab_channel=Ryan%27sEdits

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Seemlar posted:

They reference Musk a second time in dialogue but it was specifically to say he sucks
Did they?

Tell me it was somebody addressing that Lorca's from the evil universe and he's the one who called Musk a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

I like the lack of hierarchy in Discovery. It actually sells the idea that Starfleet isn't a military.

I think it's more accurate to say it isn't just a military, they have a formal rank structure and order of command after all. Any organization of Starfleet's size and complexity needs hierarchy and discipline to function, especially on a spaceship where many duties are non-negotiable and required for the safety and survival of everyone onboard.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Back then they weren't even credited in the opening of the show, and neither were Scotty, Chekov, Rand, Kyle or Chapel, except in the episodes they appeared in.