Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arrrthritis posted:

I think it's great when an RPG respects that you might be playing other games concurrently and don't have the mental bandwidth to remember who every character is or what every term means.

Big fan of the games with plot recaps on loading screens like dq11 and Witcher 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

but what about those of us with sick gaming rigs that always load instantly

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

true, but haram to spoil it :blastu:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm playing through that factory cult part of Niew and I died at least 15 minutes after the most recent save point. And that factory setup is so repetitive that during multiple points I was wondering if I had messed up and was just running in circles. So I'm not feeling up to redoing that tonight.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I was in the cinema to see EEAAO and the trailer for Men came on and about five seconds into it I was like "oh ok I get it. I don't need to see that movie now" so I didn't

EEAAO is maybe the best movie I've ever seen in my life though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Certainly no other film this year had the tastemaker class of normals showing their entire rear end while misunderstanding the material on a fundamental level quite like Tar, but I don't think the movie was on a mission to be easily digestible anyways.

Every time I hear someone call it “a movie about cancel culture” I laugh a lot tbh

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The universe itself was on board with me about how good EEAAO was. I went into that cinema when the skies were grey and it was pissing it down with rain, I was grumpy cause I'd ordered a non dairy milkshake without realising and it tasted like poo poo, but I went in and sat in the nice comfy actual armchairs that place has instead of normal seats and the movie came on and it was amazing and however many hours later I went outside just feeling incredibly good about the world and the way things were, and the clouds had gone and the sky was blue and the sun was shining, and I was like you know what, yeah, that movie did change the goddamn weather just for me and the couple dozen other people in there, that actually makes complete sense

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hwurmp posted:

trust the titty lady

Evergreen advice

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Every time I hear someone call it “a movie about cancel culture” I laugh a lot tbh

Yeah, uh, there are A LOT of flaming hot bad takes out there

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hope by next year I'll never have to hear about EEAAO again.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

re: Movie chat. Dad asked me to come pick up some stuff over the weekend, so I decided to hang up the poster for the greatest movie of all time

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gaius Marius posted:

I hope by next year I'll never have to hear about EEAAO again.

It's a good movie, I enjoyed it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Infinitum posted:

re: Movie chat. Dad asked me to come pick up some stuff over the weekend, so I decided to hang up the poster for the greatest movie of all time

Agent: You've been asked to provide the voice of an enormous, all-devouring creature whose hunger simply cannot be satiated.
Orson Welles: It's the part I was born to play!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a good movie, I enjoyed it

It's fine.

Infinitum posted:

Sick, the only poster I got is the Polish poster for The Conformist. Found the lad out in a thrift shop and had to pick it up for I saw the thing. Great movie, great poster, insane cinematography.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jean-louis Trintignant is one of my favorite actors, I hadn't really considered it before, but he's perfectly cast in My Night at Mauds the first film I saw him in. He's got this hardheaded bluster covering up a deep seated insecurity in himself, and then Conformist draws even more on that in combination with all the architecture of the EUR and the odd camera angles to portray a man deeply uncomfortable existing inside of his own skin. Like some fetid creature is lurking underneath and could be exposed at any moment, he must exist in a constant sense of unease and paranoia. It's really the Italian equivalent of American Psycho I suppose, all the same insecurity and emptiness expressed in different vectors.
He's also really good in trans-europa express and Three Colors Red. And I just started Rendez Vous before I realized I'd have to quite before I went to sleep, and he's already doing work in that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Check out this fuckin iconoclast. You don't like thing as much as some other people do? That's so badass

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Annoying the poo poo out of a poster with 2 words is pretty badass, tbh

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

here's another good 2 word post:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dabir posted:

Check out this fuckin iconoclast. You don't like thing as much as some other people do? That's so badass
gonna cry?

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I'm wrapping up day... 3? of Covid, so that's whatever. I should be back at work soon, which is good since it's a new job and I have no sick leave to speak of.

But in gaming news, I made great strides in Elden Ring this weekend! Took out Margit on my second try, which felt quite nice. First souls game, first real boss kill. Hoping to report fully clearing this game, I dunno, Aprilish?

I'm also replaying FF9 on steam deck with the moguri mod, which I probably appreciate more for the classic font being modded in than for the HD backgrounds. But man, what a shot of pure adrenaline to the nostalgia center of the brain. What an incredible relief every time I boot this game up and see that no, it is as good if not better than I remember it being 20 years ago.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Sick, the only poster I got is the Polish poster for The Conformist. Found the lad out in a thrift shop and had to pick it up for I saw the thing. Great movie, great poster, insane cinematography.

holy poo poo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Triangle strat, if I may:
Kinda wish in cutscenes they just had the speaker’s portrait in the dialogue box. Possibly a skill issue but with the slightly washed-out aesthetics some unique sprites look kinda similar to me and I still haven’t memorized anyone’s name so I’m hitting the “who is this?” button all the time.

Also is there just, like, no choices to make re: unit development, outside which very minor stat benefit to get in which order?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looper posted:

you're gonna complain about all the dialogue and stop after two missions and I'm gonna call you a noob

egads there’s a lot of dry text between battle 1 & battle 2 (nobles being very formal and polite with each other, for an hour) but I’m into the story atm, I plan on completing mission 3

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

drat it now I have to play Triangle Strategy

This can't possibly be true

it is

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Death on the Nile was the worst movie I saw last year, See how they run and Knives Out show that mystery movies still work, how Kenneth Branagh is allowed to still commit crimes against the Christie corpus is beyond me.

when i heard the movie involves poirot shaving his mustache i knew it was hosed

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

egads there’s a lot of dry text between battle 1 & battle 2 (nobles being very formal and polite with each other, for an hour) but I’m into the story atm, I plan on completing mission 3

it's a game about salt, of course it's dry!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Looper posted:

when i heard the movie involves poirot shaving his mustache i knew it was hosed

On the other hand the movie also has the origin story for his mustache.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Entering All-Range Mode!

https://i.imgur.com/EbrNM1x.mp4

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Jay Rust posted:

Also is there just, like, no choices to make re: unit development, outside which very minor stat benefit to get in which order?

Yeah, but upgrade materials are pretty limited until very late on so you have to choose who gets the upgrades. Also every forge costs more materials. Some characters benefit more of class upgrades and some have good ultimate abilities you wanna get.

I do find it dumb you can't tell what abilities do until you reach the forge tier or the level they learn them.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

the only thing i dont like here is how the gently caress do you play games across the room it gives me a really weird spacial feeling when i do that

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Play... games..?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

small dick energy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

why even bother putting in a drawer for... 3 cartridges?

Also all the seating facing away from the TV...

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Mom said it's my turn on the gigantic transforming Switch

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vengeful Guardian: MOONRIDER looks sick-nasty.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I watched Free Solo the other night cooked out of my gourd. Just about had a panic attack the whole time.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Rinkles posted:

Is there a word for when you're really in tune with a game and you begin to feel like the thing you're controlling is a part of you? Or that you are the thing altogether. It can be whatever, a super hero or a car.

diagetic immersion

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Foul Fowl posted:

diagetic immersion

This was me on a lot of speed as a teenager flying the fighter jet in San Andreas

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I want to play triangle strategy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

verbal enema posted:

This was me on a lot of speed as a teenager flying the fighter jet in San Andreas

for me it was when i smoked a lot of weed with my friends and picked nose hairs out of a nose in wario ware with the wiimote