Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Mad Hamish posted:

I am evidently extremely basic, but what I use for plain old black is a bottle of Parker Quink. It seems to be ok?

Nothing wrong with that, in the grand scheme of things.

Ed: buuuuuuut what about if you wanted to write in black with sparkles?

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Quink is fine - a good ink. I've been using this bottle of Mont Blanc, which I found in a draw at work a few years ago. It's a great black, and dries quickly.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
My preferred black is Herbin Perle Noir, which has been pretty well behaved for me. I have a high tolerance for dry time though, so I wouldn’t have noticed if it dried slowish. Also not water resistant if you care about that.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Kerbtree posted:

Nothing wrong with that, in the grand scheme of things.

Ed: buuuuuuut what about if you wanted to write in black with sparkles?

Conveniently my girlfriend got a bottle of FWP Roaring Patina Black! I feel the glitter is a bit subtle, but it is there.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Teach posted:

Quink is fine - a good ink. I've been using this bottle of Mont Blanc, which I found in a draw at work a few years ago. It's a great black, and dries quickly.

The bottle of this in my parents' house specifies it was made in West Germany :lol:

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Same as mine! Good ink, but not quite Swiss.

I've got this arriving this afternoon. I'm twitching with every click of the letterbox...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If you want Swiss, buy Caran d'Ache.

I've also got a little something something from eBay due to arrive today, should be fun.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Teach posted:

Same as mine! Good ink, but not quite Swiss.

I've got this arriving this afternoon. I'm twitching with every click of the letterbox...

I hope your bottle is full...
Also I am jealous.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Mad Hamish posted:

Conveniently my girlfriend got a bottle of FWP Roaring Patina Black! I feel the glitter is a bit subtle, but it is there.

I got a bottle of Roaring Patina Black on a whim last year and now I'm clutching to it since I didn't know it was limited edition. It really is a wonderful vivid black with good shimmer.

I've been looking for a similar non-limited ink for if/when I run out of it.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Keetron posted:

I hope your bottle is full...
Also I am jealous.

It's heeee-re.

And mostly full. Of bubbles.

Took a while to run through after I washed out my Lamy.

But I'm happy. It's a good, poppy pink, and I think it'll look good in natural light, on the back of a postcard. (It's also pretty fast, surviving the licked finger test for smudging quite well. Not perfect, but quite well.)

howe_sam posted:

I've also got a little something something from eBay due to arrive today, should be fun.

Hope yours arrives today, too!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It did. Got me another Conway Stewart :britain:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

grack posted:

Alrighty, pen #2 for January

This is our local club pen, made by Leonardo Officina

It's a Furore model, using the Poseidan Mosaico resin. It's a cut and stacked acrylic with multiple different cut patterns. Very pretty

Ahh I see, they're here:

https://leonardopen.com/collections/mzg-mosaico

That's some real high end stuff there. I really like what they're doing though. I'm kind of done with looking for vertical stripe stuff, and this kind of thing looks it fits my preference in an updated style that also fits my man hands better. I dunno, maybe I can convince my family to chip together for one for me for next Christmas or whatever instead of scratching their heads on what to get me.

Edit: Anybody play with Diamine's Registrar Blue-Black? It's an iron-gall ink that apparently goes on light and then darkens.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 18, 2023

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Ahh I see, they're here:

That's some real high end stuff there. I really like what they're doing though. I'm kind of done with looking for vertical stripe stuff, and this kind of thing looks it fits my preference in an updated style that also fits my man hands better. I dunno, maybe I can convince my family to chip together for one for me for next Christmas or whatever instead of scratching their heads on what to get me.

Not quite the same but perhaps an alternative?
https://m.aliexpress.com/i/32975623987.html

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Ahh I see, they're here:

Granted the price still isn't cheap, but Goldspot has a better deal on the Mosaico, though their inventory looks like it's running a little low.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody used Ranga pens? I saw a pic of the Bamboo style the other day and I'm really tempted to grab one, but they cost a little more than my "impulse buy" line

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

howe_sam posted:

Granted the price still isn't cheap, but Goldspot has a better deal on the Mosaico, though their inventory looks like it's running a little low.

Rocko Bonaparte actually linked to the Momento Zero Grande, this link is for the standard Momento Zero. Still more expensive than what we paid, surprisingly.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Goldspot product description claims that the Mosaico is MZG-sized, so it's the same pen on both sites. And you can kind of tell because the msrp is the same amount, though who knows about the actual price because one's in EUR and the other USD.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
My grandmother recently gave me my late grandfather's MontBlanc fountain pen. Unfortunately, it was broken in half with the nib stuck in the cap. I got the nib out, but it's apparent to me that I can't just glue it back together because there's no third piece where all the threading should be. Whatever converter I was given fits the pen, but doesn't go into the body. After some internet sleuthing, I determined it's a 144 from the 80s, since there is no serial number and a W. Germany on the cap band. So they probably bought the converter for another model of pen that had a larger barrel without knowing.

So is there anyway to figure out if I can put this nib in another pen? Trying to find the body without the nib is probably futile, but I'd like to at least be able to write with the nib without having to tape a Sheaffer barrel on it (current configuration). Any thoughts?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Could you post some pictures? It's not totally clear what's broken from the description. Is it just the body that is messed up or is the section as well?

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 19, 2023

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

Abyss posted:

My grandmother recently gave me my late grandfather's MontBlanc fountain pen. Unfortunately, it was broken in half with the nib stuck in the cap. I got the nib out, but it's apparent to me that I can't just glue it back together because there's no third piece where all the threading should be. Whatever converter I was given fits the pen, but doesn't go into the body. After some internet sleuthing, I determined it's a 144 from the 80s, since there is no serial number and a W. Germany on the cap band. So they probably bought the converter for another model of pen that had a larger barrel without knowing.

So is there anyway to figure out if I can put this nib in another pen? Trying to find the body without the nib is probably futile, but I'd like to at least be able to write with the nib without having to tape a Sheaffer barrel on it (current configuration). Any thoughts?

You may be able to jam the nib into a Jowo #5 housing. I was pretty much in your situation, having been gifted a broken 144. I stuck the nib into one of these, using the existing Jowo feed: https://yosekastationery.com/products/opus-88-x-lennon-tool-bar-halo-fountain-pen-green

Works well so far! Can't promise that other pens will fit as well though.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody used Ranga pens? I saw a pic of the Bamboo style the other day and I'm really tempted to grab one, but they cost a little more than my "impulse buy" line

I've got an ebonite Ranga Model 4C that I purchased a few years ago and it's a really solid pen. The one I have has a Jowo nib so it writes as good as any other pen with one and is in an attractive teal-blue ebonite. There are a couple of pits in the material due to the less-expensive nature of their standard ebonite, but they're not really noticeable unless you're looking for them. Crazy that they're all handmade.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
I used to use fountain pens regularly about 8-10 years ago, but due to a variety of factors- work from home, more airplane flights, etc. I stopped using the variety I had.

I am considering selling a couple of the higher end pens I have - a Pilot M90 in near unused condition and a Montblanc 146.

Is there a place that shows a good value for these? I know ebay history is one choice, but I've seen huge ranges on the M90 elsewhere and am just looking for some guidance.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Chip McFuck posted:

Could you post some pictures? It's not totally clear what's broken from the description. Is it just the body that is messed up or is the section as well?

Sure thing. It looks like someone didn’t know it the section was threaded to the barrel and pulled really hard. On another glance, the threaded part of the section that is missing is stuck to the internal thread of the barrel, which is why the converter doesn’t fit. Guess I need to find myself a thin piece of rubber to try and unscrew this.

edit: Pulled it out with a bulb syringe. Now to just figure out how to put it back on securely.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Abyss fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 19, 2023

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

Abyss posted:

Sure thing. It looks like someone didn’t know it the section was threaded to the barrel and pulled really hard. On another glance, the threaded part of the section that is missing is stuck to the internal thread of the barrel, which is why the converter doesn’t fit. Guess I need to find myself a thin piece of rubber to try and unscrew this.

edit: Pulled it out with a bulb syringe. Now to just figure out how to put it back on securely.

It's not going to be easy sticking a break like that together. The easy route is to just harvest the nib.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Dad Hominem posted:

It's not going to be easy sticking a break like that together. The easy route is to just harvest the nib.
Wait, am I looking at this wrong, or is the section fine? If that's the case, what are the odds of getting a donor body and using the section and cap with that?

I honestly have no idea because I only have commodity pens where I can play mix and match if I needed to.

Failing that, how good is someone like Fountain Pen Hospital with epoxy?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Wait, am I looking at this wrong, or is the section fine? If that's the case, what are the odds of getting a donor body and using the section and cap with that?

I honestly have no idea because I only have commodity pens where I can play mix and match if I needed to.

Second picture shows that the section is clearly the part that's broken

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

Grack is right about the section being broken. I think I've seen replacement sections on eBay but they aren't cheap.

Epoxy is probably not a good enough solution. A break on a threaded part really isn't easy to fix. The spare-no-expense method would be to grind off all remains of the threading from the section, bore out the hole slightly, and then use a lathe to turn a fresh threaded ring that slips into place, finally gluing that joint with epoxy. That's not cost effective for a pen like this, and it might not even work with this pen's thin plastic. I've only seen repair work as described with a vintage pen made of thicker celluloid.

Maybe another way to do it would be to glue it together normally, but then insert a short length of tubing to support the joint from the inside? I think thete might not be enough space left for a converter though.

The problem is that the break line is irregular, and the part is regularly under stress since removing the section is part of normal operation. Some extra trick is going to be needed to strengthen the joint.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

can you for real not buy replacement parts for these? seems insane that a plastic cylinder with threads on it is difficult to fabricate. seems to me somebody could make a killing sell it. ten cents of plastic for $40 to people who want to fix their expensive pens.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

can you for real not buy replacement parts for these? seems insane that a plastic cylinder with threads on it is difficult to fabricate. seems to me somebody could make a killing sell it. ten cents of plastic for $40 to people who want to fix their expensive pens.

It's trivial for the original factory to make a bunch of extra sections, but Montblanc won't do that because 1) they'd rather you go to the boutique for service so they can charge you an arm and a leg, 2) they need to maintain a snooty image so they can't be seen encouraging people to do DIY repairs, and 3) the 144 was discontinued quite a while back. If you're not the original factory, then it's prohibitively expensive to set up a manufacturing line for injection molded plastic parts.

Pen repair is therefore all about what individual artisans can do, using time and effort to make up for their lack of a honking big factory. That comes at a cost, and a Montblanc 144, nice as it is, probably doesn't justify it. If stealie were desperate to restore this pen they could ask Shawn Newton (https://www.newtonpens.com) or Francis Goossens (the Conid guy, fountainbel on FPN) to quote for the bespoke machining work that'd be required, but it won't be cheap and there will be a long wait. There are some examples of repairs on the Newton Pens website, and it seems like for a breakage like this, he'd probably turn a new ebonite section that takes the original nib.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Last week I bought a Lamy Safari. It begins...

All I need now is one of those crab pen holders, heh.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Another one bites the dust

Dastardly Dog
Jan 18, 2023

Teach posted:

Have you had a chance to use this yet? That color looks amazing.

edit: first post in this thread and I asked an already-answered question. Success. Ink looks great.

Dastardly Dog fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 20, 2023

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

froglet posted:

All I need now is one of those crab pen holders, heh.

Get nine more crab pen holders and you should have some spare capacity for what's coming.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Get nine more crab pen holders and you should have some spare capacity for what's coming.

Aliexpress has them way cheaper than Amazon.

Or so I'm told...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hah!

Ha

ha

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hey it's a starting sum. Also, most people don't need to buy an actual crab pen holder farm for all of their Deltas like you.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Skip the crab and go to https://www.galenleather.com/collections/zippered-pen-pencil-cases to get some really nice stationary.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Keetron posted:

Skip the crab and go to https://www.galenleather.com/collections/zippered-pen-pencil-cases to get some really nice stationary.

Those are for the ones not on the crab. You need both.

For additional content, I like the idea but oof about the execution in every way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZfgv3wrguM

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I got one more wacky vertical celluloid pen. It's a Parker Vacumatic. While running my hands across it, I noticed some... texturing on the end.

Some asshat was nibbling on this pen at some point in its life.

Madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Dad Hominem posted:

Pen repair is therefore all about what individual artisans can do, using time and effort to make up for their lack of a honking big factory. That comes at a cost, and a Montblanc 144, nice as it is, probably doesn't justify it. If stealie were desperate to restore this pen they could ask Shawn Newton (https://www.newtonpens.com) or Francis Goossens (the Conid guy, fountainbel on FPN) to quote for the bespoke machining work that'd be required, but it won't be cheap and there will be a long wait. There are some examples of repairs on the Newton Pens website, and it seems like for a breakage like this, he'd probably turn a new ebonite section that takes the original nib.

Looking at it, I’m pretty sure you could just measure how long the thread should be, grind what remains of the thread above the ring away so you’ve got a flat surface to join to and then turn a replacement piece to bond onto it. It’s a thread on a cylinder, not etching the bible onto it.