Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

in order to prevent human error and speed up the game, all seasons will be decided by statistical projection and simulation. no more playing, the computer will tell us who the champion is.

Just add up the WARs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Banning the shift is dumb, but I also hated the ghost runner, three-batter minimum, and automatic intentional walk, and then when the games started I found I didn't care that much.

29 days til spring training :D

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/PWSullivan/status/1614310091553132546

That's... actually kind of a surprise given the Cubs semi-recent history of employing known abusers. Still nice to hear though!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm waiting for the Twins to sign him since our gm/pobo probably know him personally from their time in Cleveland

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

John Angelos decided to lose his mind on a reporter who asked him questions about the team during a press conference

https://twitter.com/ConnorNewcomb_/status/1615038754212974592?s=20&t=GUR1g2JSkT0IMxjWvKA5YA

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol jfc that picture is embarrassing

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm waiting for the Twins to sign him since our gm/pobo probably know him personally from their time in Cleveland
knowing him personally probably makes them less likely to want to sign him, not more

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah even if you totally removed all the monstrous stuff he did to his abuse victims, Bauer is a well known and documented piece of poo poo and also just kind of a self-important loser. He absolutely cannot tolerate anybody saying anything even remotely negative about him, and inevitably lashes out in the dumbest way possible whether it's stalking a random woman on twitter for like a week or releasing a diss track on Miguel Montero because he had the audacity to tell a rookie pitcher with like 10 IP under his belt that he knows better about what pitch to throw. The fact that as far as I can tell zero players have come out to publicly endorse him even a little bit is extremely telling.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

That's... actually kind of a surprise given the Cubs semi-recent history of employing known abusers. Still nice to hear though!

They rightfully received a ton of poo poo internally (and obviously externally) for it and have been receptive since and I'm glad to see it heard here

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/PWSullivan/status/1614310091553132546

What are the odds nobody ends up signing Bauer? It would be nice if MLB used their powers of collusion for good for a change.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I could see him not pitching in MLB again. Despite being really good, Roberto Osuna had to go to Mexico to pitch after his abuse allegations and has not returned to MLB.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/SoxOn35th/status/1614722214955188224?s=20&t=mVOa3gVYqd4waSWfd91IMA

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

They rightfully received a ton of poo poo internally (and obviously externally) for it and have been receptive since and I'm glad to see it heard here

I'm heartened to hear that there was significant internal push back to those decisions. I am to this day still absolutely baffled and embarrassed about how the Cubs handled the Russell situation and tried to pretend he was totally sorry and reformed only for it to inevitably blow up in their faces.

Traxis posted:

What are the odds nobody ends up signing Bauer? It would be nice if MLB used their powers of collusion for good for a change.

I forget where I saw it but there was an anonymous poll of GM's after Bauer got released on his fate in and the consensus was more or less "it's not impossible somebody signs him, but it is improbable." I honestly think the biggest obstacle to Bauer getting picked up isn't the allegations against him, but rather his own tendencies. He's a known clubhouse cancer, he's got outstanding lawsuits against his victims and media figures who reported on the whole thing, he's not going to apologize for anything or go along with any kind of "rehabilitation" media circus a potential suitor would cook up, and he just absolutely refuses to shut the gently caress up.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Traxis posted:

It's not nothing, given Heimlich. I think that if Bauer were capable of playing quiet and remorseful it'd have happened already. If he could even suck it up enough to reliably reply to questions with "no comment, next question", he'd be on a team by pitchers & catchers.

But it's Bauer and it's (hopefully) an impossible sell to pick him up when your owner knows it'll never blow over because he won't let it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Chapman's still pitching for the Yankees, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Currently a FA

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Traxis posted:

I actually don't think any team is going to pick him up. He hasn't pitched in almost 2 years now and Bauer is too much of an entitled poo poo head to humble himself and stay quiet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I believe in the absolute worst case scenario when it comes to amoral baseball execs, so I fully expect Bauer to be playing on some MLB team by summer.

They’ll put out some token statement about believing women and how he’s done his time and conclude it with a link to RAINN or some abuse help hotline and then they’ll sit back and wait for everyone to forget what a horrible piece of poo poo he is, probably around the same time he has his first good outing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Some Numbers posted:

Nope he finally looked mortal this year and was on the bubble to make their postseason roster, at which point he flaked out of a mandatory workout and the Yankees essentially cut ties with him. He's not announced his retirement or anything so presumably he still wants to pitch, but he's still as of yet unsigned.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I believe in the absolute worst case scenario when it comes to amoral baseball execs, so I fully expect Bauer to be playing on some MLB team by summer.

They’ll put out some token statement about believing women and how he’s done his time and conclude it with a link to RAINN or some abuse help hotline and then they’ll sit back and wait for everyone to forget what a horrible piece of poo poo he is, probably around the same time he has his first good outing.

I could see this happening in a year or two, after whatever lawsuits are resolved. I feel like even the shittiest people wouldn't want the PR from his future legal fallout.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

IcePhoenix posted:

https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1613264278030798849?t=gjA9-4puNUtej51qFtGREA&s=19
I was happy when I saw this, since I had similar concerns. The Twins were definitely interested last time he was a FA.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sydin posted:

Nope he finally looked mortal this year and was on the bubble to make their postseason roster, at which point he flaked out of a mandatory workout and the Yankees essentially cut ties with him. He's not announced his retirement or anything so presumably he still wants to pitch, but he's still as of yet unsigned.

oh right, I remember the hoopla about the workout now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm a little surprised that some competitive team hasn't taken a 1 year flyer on Chapman yet

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm a little surprised that some competitive team hasn't taken a 1 year flyer on Chapman yet

He's washed up and the way he left the Yankees hurt his value

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Cover athlete for MLB The Show might have been leaked?

https://twitter.com/rotynick/status/1613654726939222036?s=46&t=Jv2YkQLHY_9qsu99eCx4Lg

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I feel like I've heard that song before but I can't quite place it

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

Why didn’t they just do 8 batters instead of adding a DH?
Do like PessaPallo (Finnish baseball variant) and have 12 batters compared to nine fielders.

Four designated hitters!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

He looked like absolute poo poo on the mound and the pitch clock is going to totally gently caress him.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Milovan Drecun posted:

I was happy when I saw this, since I had similar concerns. The Twins were definitely interested last time he was a FA.
Why it's almost as if something really changed with him since the last time was a free agent.

Inspector_666 posted:

He looked like absolute poo poo on the mound and the pitch clock is going to totally gently caress him.
One would think that a guy who throws so hard would want to throw his pitches in quick succession, if nothing else. But then again, I'm no sports psychologist.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Crazy Ted posted:

Why it's almost as if something really changed with him since the last time was a free agent.

True, but it was hardly a given the Twins wouldn't make a run at him. They extended Sano despite allegations, and the Correa signing gives them plenty of incentive to push. I'm glad they recognize signing Bauer would immediately undo any goodwill they just came into.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Crazy Ted posted:

One would think that a guy who throws so hard would want to throw his pitches in quick succession, if nothing else. But then again, I'm no sports psychologist.
Max effort requires more rest time between pitches.

Jamie Moyer could probably have survived on a 10 second clock.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

At this point, I don't think it's a GM decision to sign Bauer. No GM is going to sign him without public owner support (and in most cases, probably direct orders) to cover their own rear end.

All it takes is one team to be assholes, so even if 29/30 teams want nothing to do with him, all it takes is one POS owner.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of GMs

Dana Brown sounds like the best pick to me, I would also like for the Astros to draft Spencer Strider.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

zoux posted:

Dana Brown sounds like the best pick to me, I would also like for the Astros to draft Spencer Strider.
It was such a great pick too cause he'd had his college career hindered by corona, an injury and mostly worked out of the bullpen but Atlanta saw the potential anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Speaking of GMs

Speaking as a Marlins fan, you don’t want Michael Hill

Red
Apr 15, 2003

zoux posted:

Speaking of GMs

Normally, I'd think Brown must be tethered to AA and would inherit that role once Alex retires, but he's only 45

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

How much do GMs and the guys with VP titles like that get paid?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

zoux posted:

Speaking of GMs

lmao Bobby Evans

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I worry he's looking for a Mike McCarthy instead of a Jimmy Johnson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/nut_history/status/1615421703504465927

Only registered members can see post attachments!