Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i don't suppose anybody knows of an lp of last of us 2 that isn't dogshit? i used to be able to rely on the lp subforums to have something at least decent for most any game, but i guess the death of the forums has slightly dampened lp production. after taking a quick peak the options youtube presented me, i'm willing to settle for an lper that isn't actively obnoxious

It's not quite an LP but you might try Gamer's Little Playground on youtube. They tend to stitch together the cutscenes with moments of gameplay featuring dialogue so you're not missing any of the story beats while also skipping any moments where a player might get caught dying on a tough section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

veni veni veni posted:

Why don’t you just play it?

as far as i know it hasn't been ported to pc

Arc Hammer posted:

It's not quite an LP but you might try Gamer's Little Playground on youtube. They tend to stitch together the cutscenes with moments of gameplay featuring dialogue so you're not missing any of the story beats while also skipping any moments where a player might get caught dying on a tough section.

thanks, i'll check it out

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 17, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ah, indeed it has not.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Wait, killing the dog is optional???

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No iirc

the other 200 dogs I killed might have been technically optional but gently caress video game dogs. Real dogs, cool. Don't kill em. Video game dogs, not cool. kill em all.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
I was super impressed by the first episode. I have some detailed thoughts on some things that worked better in the game or better in the show, but that's overwhelmed by a general relief that this adaptation clearly GETS the game and is very likely to do it justice.

It's a live action video game adaptation and not only have they NOT completely hosed it up, but it's actually simply good without needing any qualifiers. The adaptation curse has been lifted.

I was shocked by how 1:1 some sections were, and enjoyed nerding out at the stuff that was clearly added to bait game-players (the car crash fakeout, the kid dressed a lot like Ellie). Amongst the changes that have been made, most of them make sense and serve to streamline events a bit, or bypass the need for game levels of violence which wouldn't work in this medium. Others might be more consequential (Joel is still in touch with Tommy, Ellie isn't close to Marlene) so I'm looking forward to seeing how all that pans out.

Nico Parker nails it as Sarah, and I'm sorry to hear about the toxicity she's had to put up with. The prologue as a whole was very effective at building up a sense of the world going to hell around you.

About the casting decisions and race and such, I'll make one comment. I hope it doesn't make me sound like a racist jerk who hates any kind of inclusivity or change.
* Joel, Tommy, Maria (apparently), and Sarah were white in the game and are played by actors of different races in the show.
* Marlene, Riley, and Henry+Sam were non-white in the game and are played by actors of the same race in the show.
Without wanting to draw conclusions from n=8, this suggests to me that HBO might have practiced "colour-blind casting" for white characters, but not for non-white characters.
My enjoyment of the show hasn't been affected at all, but if that was their policy, I can understand why some eyebrows could be raised about it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh no not more representation on TV

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Joel and Tommy are the same ethnicity they were in the game: Texan.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, at least Tommy is. Joel is just Pedro Pascal with 15% less accent. I did find it funny that Diego Luna goes ham on the Tommy voice and Pedro Pascal barely even tries to sound like Joel. He plays it well though idgaf.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 17, 2023

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Seven Round Things posted:

Without wanting to draw conclusions from n=8, this suggests to me that HBO might have practiced "colour-blind casting" for white characters, but not for non-white characters.
My enjoyment of the show hasn't been affected at all, but if that was their policy, I can understand why some eyebrows could be raised about it.

Eh. As an absolute fan I don't think Naughty Dog games have been meaningfully diverse until uh, maybe Last of Us 2. It's nice to have some more representation.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Seven Round Things posted:

I was super impressed by the first episode. I have some detailed thoughts on some things that worked better in the game or better in the show, but that's overwhelmed by a general relief that this adaptation clearly GETS the game and is very likely to do it justice.

It's a live action video game adaptation and not only have they NOT completely hosed it up, but it's actually simply good without needing any qualifiers. The adaptation curse has been lifted.

I was shocked by how 1:1 some sections were, and enjoyed nerding out at the stuff that was clearly added to bait game-players (the car crash fakeout, the kid dressed a lot like Ellie). Amongst the changes that have been made, most of them make sense and serve to streamline events a bit, or bypass the need for game levels of violence which wouldn't work in this medium. Others might be more consequential (Joel is still in touch with Tommy, Ellie isn't close to Marlene) so I'm looking forward to seeing how all that pans out.

Nico Parker nails it as Sarah, and I'm sorry to hear about the toxicity she's had to put up with. The prologue as a whole was very effective at building up a sense of the world going to hell around you.

About the casting decisions and race and such, I'll make one comment. I hope it doesn't make me sound like a racist jerk who hates any kind of inclusivity or change.
* Joel, Tommy, Maria (apparently), and Sarah were white in the game and are played by actors of different races in the show.
* Marlene, Riley, and Henry+Sam were non-white in the game and are played by actors of the same race in the show.

Lol. I think it's more who already has an in with HBO. I don't think it's a coincidence Sarah is played by Thandie Newton's daughter, and Pedro and Bella are GoT vets.

This just isn't LoU. I notice HBO recycles its actors a lot if they did a good job in a previous project.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
It’s a helluva drive from Austin to Boston. I like the confidence of a show that doesn’t feel the need to explain it though. “Yeah it’s been 20 years, things happened, big whoop wanna fight about it?”

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

So far as casting representation goes, I believe it boils down like this.

There’s a plethora of Caucasian roles for any archetype imaginable. They’re constantly being cast. If one of those roles is flipped, it’s not a huge loss in representation, there’s plenty more being cast every day.

There are far less roles available for many minorities, especially outside of stereotyped archetypes, so when one of those is flipped it is a loss in representation.

Casting trends are trying to level the playing field, and so many existing characters are cis white and the industry is so heavily based around adaptation of existing properties that the only way to do that is to change the ethnicity or orientation of some cis caucasian characters.

That’s why it’s applauded when a character is flipped toward diversity and derided when a character is whitewashed.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Bugblatter posted:

Wait, killing the dog is optional???

Bear is optional (along with all the others), Alice is mandatory.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

Bear is optional (along with all the others), Alice is mandatory.

Okay, that’s what I thought.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Eh. As an absolute fan I don't think Naughty Dog games have been meaningfully diverse until uh, maybe Last of Us 2. It's nice to have some more representation.

I would say until Uncharted Lost Legacy but I suppose that's DLC so not as widely known. Still excellent though, Chloe rules.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aphex- posted:

I would say until Uncharted Lost Legacy but I suppose that's DLC so not as widely known. Still excellent though, Chloe rules.

It was a full seperate release but marketed as sort of an Uncharted 4.5 so yeah it's probably not quite as known as the main series games.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also Nadine in Uncharted is voiced by a white person lmao

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Also Nadine in Uncharted is voiced by a white person lmao

Chloe also, despite the fact she’s supposed to be indian.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I also liked in the 60s news talk segment the camera shifts to talking directly to the viewer about how this happened to really hammer it home.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

as far as i know it hasn't been ported to pc

its worth buying an old PS4 for

blackcross
Apr 10, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i don't suppose anybody knows of an lp of last of us 2 that isn't dogshit? i used to be able to rely on the lp subforums to have something at least decent for most any game, but i guess the death of the forums has slightly dampened lp production. after taking a quick peak the options youtube presented me, i'm willing to settle for an lper that isn't actively obnoxious

I haven't actually watched her playthrough but Materwelonz has a full blind lp of it here (https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAIcZs9N4170HCnoiTheHyHcWT1PIXoXO). Everything I've seen of hers is very chill and focused on finding all the bits and pieces of lore and really focusing on the story and the characters.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I would have said Welonz too but since I was beaten to it check out the playthrough of someone that calls themselves Symbalily also on YouTube. I'm phone posting from work so I'll edit in the link later but it shouldn't be hard to find.

She works as a videogame environment artist so she occasionally gives some perspective from that angle and she genuinely appreciated what the story did with it's characters and plot structure.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

TLOU 2 is sooooo frigging long. I can't imagine watching someone play it and that remaining interesting.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
as someone who couldn't stand tlou2, seeing the left behind references in the pilot makes me feel a lot better about the prospect of a much less clunky storytelling that bridges part 1 and 2

i wonder how left behind will be folded into season 1

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I expect you'll just get the first game for season 1.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

kliras posted:

as someone who couldn't stand tlou2, seeing the left behind references in the pilot makes me feel a lot better about the prospect of a much less clunky storytelling that bridges part 1 and 2

i wonder how left behind will be folded into season 1

In the teaser at the end of the episode it shows at least one thing from it, so they'll do flashbacks for the stuff that takes place before TLOU1.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Arc Hammer posted:

I expect you'll just get the first game for season 1.

The content of the episodes have already leaked. Season 1 is 9 episodes and will cover the whole first game with episode 7 being "Left Behind".

Fake edit: Here's the episode list

justlikedunkirk posted:

Episode 1: Prologue/Boston
Episode 2: Outside QZ in Boston/Tess' death
Episode 3: Bill
Episodes 4 & 5: Pittsburgh
Episode 6: Tommy & College/Joel's injury
Episode 7: Left Behind
Episode 8: David
Episode 9: Salt Lake City/ending

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The content of the episodes have already leaked. Season 1 is 9 episodes and will cover the whole first game with episode 7 being "Left Behind".

Fake edit: Here's the episode list

Maybe if the show is a big enough hit then The Last of Us Part 3 will just be season 3 of the show and Druckmann can finally achieve his dream of making TV shows instead of video games.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I actually have no idea how you adapt TLoU Part 2 into a TV show. A key part of that game's gut punch is that you spend so long physically playing as both women that you can't help but start to shift into their POVs just from familiarity. If HBO really has giant brass balls, they'd cliffhanger season 2 with Abbie having a gun to Ellie in the theatre and then just cold open season 3 and play out the entire Abbie storyline without showing Ellie till the very end.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Great premier. I hadn’t played TLOU since it launched but I remember enough of the story beats I could tell what was new, changed, and everything different seemed for the better.
Standout moment was, as others have said, grandma twitching that was legitimately unnerving.

As for spores, the games played fast and loose with the concept so I’m glad the tv series just drops it. Like the spores in the games are either super lethal and you need your mask RIGHT NOW or it’s like “oh there’s some spores behind this door better be careful I guess idk”.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe if the show is a big enough hit then The Last of Us Part 3 will just be season 3 of the show and Druckmann can finally achieve his dream of making TV shows instead of video games.
the factions online game sounds like it's probably going to be some kind of episodic tlou gaas, assuming the gameplay loop is actually fun. druckmann might get to have it both ways both for tv and games

in theory, they could do some cool things with it, especially given that druckmann's expressed how much he likes miyazaki's approach to worldbuilding in elden ring, but we'll have to wait and see whether they screw it all up before we get our hopes up

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I actually have no idea how you adapt TLoU Part 2 into a TV show. A key part of that game's gut punch is that you spend so long physically playing as both women that you can't help but start to shift into their POVs just from familiarity. If HBO really has giant brass balls, they'd cliffhanger season 2 with Abbie having a gun to Ellie in the theatre and then just cold open season 3 and play out the entire Abbie storyline without showing Ellie till the very end.

I would forgive (almost) all the fuckery that hbo has done if they did this.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm surprised Left Behind is a whole episode. I just don't remember there being that much content. Do we know if all the eps are going to be 90 minutes long?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Madurai posted:

I'm surprised Left Behind is a whole episode. I just don't remember there being that much content. Do we know if all the eps are going to be 90 minutes long?

Someone posted that the next episode is 55 minutes and the third one is like 80 again

e: the rumors I've been seeing suggest the shortest episode is only like 43 minutes, which makes sense considering some "arcs" of the game are much smaller in scope

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 17, 2023

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Left behind could be pretty short, as long as they don’t cut Skeleseer

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Madurai posted:

Left Behind would encompass Joel getting rebar'd at the college, Ellie getting him safe, frantically scouring the mall for meds and avoiding cannibals and poo poo while flashbacking to the fateful trip with Riley. It can totally make an normal length episode.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Madurai posted:

Am I the only one who spent like an hour in the halloween shop?

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

flashy_mcflash posted:

Rewatching the episode and Anna Torv really does seem to be struggling with the accent in a way that I don't remember her ever doing in 5 full seasons of Fringe. I've never seen that happen before with an actor.

OIM NOOT A FIIAAHFLYY!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sierra Nevadan posted:

yea mold spores get everywhere all the time. And they can just sit there active

in the games does it only infect humans? My family was wondering about the dog Mercy. Dogs and cats usually have higher blood temps.
Yeah this fungi is based on Cordyceps which infects certain species by species (so there is a specific species that infects ants, which is the most infamous kind, but other species that infect moths, spiders, etc)