Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

the_steve posted:

https://twitter.com/healthbyjames/status/1614719393312694276?s=20&t=Enn-SbtI-OiWLl6COre5kg

So, assuming there's anything to this, all my brain comes to is "Wow, that's going to be more vindication/ammo for the antivax crowds."

The White House leadership really wants to give money and credence to people who literally, genuinely desperately want every single one of them dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

the_steve posted:

https://twitter.com/healthbyjames/status/1614719393312694276?s=20&t=Enn-SbtI-OiWLl6COre5kg

So, assuming there's anything to this, all my brain comes to is "Wow, that's going to be more vindication/ammo for the antivax crowds."

It's not really shocking that they're saying they'll at least consider it. One likely GOP presidential candidate is already openly calling for it, and the rest are likely to follow suit, so no one wants to be the guy who goes on record saying "no loving way" to a reporter. Not a good career move if one of those candidates ends up being the next commander-in-chief.

The Pentagon opposed lifting the mandate in the first place, so it's unlikely that military leadership are actually enthusiastic about giving back pay to those who were booted for violating the mandate. I suspect that they're being noncommittal for political reasons, and that they intend to "lose" this proposal deep in the back of a filing cabinet and forget about it until 2025.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

It varies. The VP is usually told a lot of what the president knows so that they're not completely clueless if the president unexpectedly dies, but not necessarily everything. For example, Truman only learned of the Manhattan Project after Roosevelt's death.

This was a sort of "formative experience" for the POTUS as an institution, Truman was absolutely horrified at what he learned about the Manhattan Project and that shell-shocked him into making changes as to how the vice presidency operated. And despite Nixon's... Weird relationship with Ike, Ike did place a lot of responsibility on his vice president in foreign policy and national security. I suppose Ike wasn't totally blind to the idea that his health wasn't the greatest, and so forth.

We all know the lines LBJ said about Hubert Humphrey and peckers, but LBJ was a crass, mean old man. And then there's Dick Cheney!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

the_steve posted:

I remember back in the before days. When I looked at past pandemics and epidemics, and thought to myself, "Man we sure used to be stupid. Glad we know better now and won't make those mistakes again." Now, I'll just randomly find myself thinking, "How the gently caress are we still so stupid? We're somehow doing even stupider things than we did with the Spanish Flu, and are occasionally giving insane Medieval Plague idiocy a run for it's money."

It's like every single thing that's happened since that drat escalator has just been some ironic punishment for hubris by Olympus.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gyges posted:

I remember back in the before days. When I looked at past pandemics and epidemics, and thought to myself, "Man we sure used to be stupid. Glad we know better now and won't make those mistakes again." Now, I'll just randomly find myself thinking, "How the gently caress are we still so stupid? We're somehow doing even stupider things than we did with the Spanish Flu, and are occasionally giving insane Medieval Plague idiocy a run for it's money."

It's like every single thing that's happened since that drat escalator has just been some ironic punishment for hubris by Olympus.

You see, the dominant ideology of the times is that problems don't exist anymore, because it's unprofitable to allow them to. Some wise, enlightened, superhuman captain of industry will come along to solve them for us.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe the military is just hoping natural selection happens to anti roni vaxxer.

like bureaucratic medical sandbagging sucks, but if multiple dumbasses get worse cases of roni and maybe even need a vent that sounds like a decent case to discharge or put them on career climbing deadends.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The article is entirely based on a Politico article which is in turn based on a noncommittal response at a press conference. The comment was "Regarding back pay, the Department is still exploring this and will provide its views on legislation of this nature at the appropriate time and through the appropriate process".

The Pentagon withdrew the mandate because they were directed to do so by Congress. The Pentagon is not going to refuse a congressional directive, and they're also not committing to or endorsing such an action when they know it may come to them in legislation. As the Politico article explicitly states, the Pentagon and the executive were both opposed to withdrawing the mandate.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PhazonLink posted:

maybe the military is just hoping natural selection happens to anti roni vaxxer.

like bureaucratic medical sandbagging sucks, but if multiple dumbasses get worse cases of roni and maybe even need a vent that sounds like a decent case to discharge or put them on career climbing deadends.

Except if they have to medically discharge someone for reasons related to COVID without the mandate in place, they’re on the hook for all that rear end in a top hat’s medical expenses related to the long term effects for basically life.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The us government should ideally be on the hook for a lot more medical expenses than that. About 300 million assholes sounds ok with me.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Is there a good vaccine statistics database that is routinely updated? What are the hospitalization rates now with people who now have natural immunization vs those who have natural immunization + vaccines?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

Rich people receiving gifts from Trump are uniformly poo poo heads. Hell, Trump cons millions of poor people on the reg off their money and they too deserve it for being lovely people. poo poo eating poo poo is a net benefit.

I don’t actually agree that poor people who have been generationally victimized deserve to be victimized again.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I don’t actually agree that poor people who have been generationally victimized deserve to be victimized again.

They're giving their money to an rear end in a top hat because he hates the same people they hate and promises to hurt people they hate, so I have no qualms with them getting hosed over.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Is there a good vaccine statistics database that is routinely updated? What are the hospitalization rates now with people who now have natural immunization vs those who have natural immunization + vaccines?

CDC maintains a data dashboard, though I don't know if anyone has done the particular chunking you identify:
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Okay, bad for you I guess because they ain't stopping any time soon?

Personally I don't have problem with people being victimized by their clear desire to victimize others because they don't share their skin color, etc.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The White House leadership really wants to give money and credence to people who literally, genuinely desperately want every single one of them dead.

Where in the article does it say white house leadership is involved in any part of this or that they support the idea?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gyges posted:

I blame it on the orb myself. gently caress that stupid orb

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
GOP House candidate Solomon Pena, who was overwhelmingly defeated in November, spent the rest of November ranting about election fraud and screaming that the election was stolen, including showing up at the homes of two county commissioners to personally tell them that they shouldn't certify the election results.

Apparently, he spent December and January doing three things. The first two are extremely funny, the last one not so much:
  1. constantly replying to the tweets of regional Dems, shouting that their elections were rigged and they had no legitimacy
  2. searching out tweets insulting him and picking Twitter fights with those people, insisting that he didn't lose and that his humiliating defeat was just fraud and election rigging (seriously, dude was extremely online)
  3. hiring people to shoot at local Dems' and county commissioners' homes and offices

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1615172198288789505

To no one's surprise, he's a big MAGA guy, Jan 6th attendee, and apparently enough of a true believer (and extremely mad) to actually go put his own fingerprints on the crimes instead of just riling up followers with wink-nudge rhetoric.

Luckily, no one was injured, but poo poo like this doesn't exactly bode well for the future of US politics.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
drat imagine if musk had a bigger twitter meltdown that actually did nuke the site just after the Nov election, like a decent non zeor amount of chuds would be owning themseleves by angry birdposting.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

drat imagine if musk had a bigger twitter meltdown that actually did nuke the site just after the Nov election, like a decent non zeor amount of chuds would be owning themseleves by angry birdposting.

Musk having a massive meltdown and taking a chainsaw to Twitter and/or himself in interchangeable order is still very much in the cards at this point, especially since he's losing over a billion dollars a day now.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

nine-gear crow posted:

especially since he's losing over a billion dollars a day now.

a sentence i will never tire of hearing.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I'm excited over the prospect of Twitter exploding, just to see what it'll do to the power users.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Probably not come back to SA

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Twitter Power Users who can read the writing on the wall have already fled to Mastodon.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kith posted:

The vast majority of Twitter's power users have already fled to Mastodon.

Who/what/where is this majority? All my faves are still there, like Chen Weihua, Anthony J Leonardi, Antony Blinken, and AOC

It doesn’t sound like they have any kind of search worth a drat either, which is kind of a hindrance for “power users”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mawarannahr posted:

Who/what/where is this majority? All my faves are still there, like Chen Weihua, Anthony J Leonardi, Antony Blinken, and AOC

That's uhhh an eclectic mix

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

mawarannahr posted:

It doesn’t sound like they have any kind of search worth a drat either, which is kind of a hindrance for “power users”

"Power users" to me means tech people - the ones who make bots and plugins and other fancy poo poo. Every single infosec person I know of fled Twitter as soon as the sale completed, for example.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gyges posted:

Have they provided any reasons for him other than than "Come on guys, please" and "But he's Latino"?

Also, NY has a weird system where the Governor has to pick from a list of 7 nominees decided by the state ABA that are rated as "Qualified" to determine who the Chief Justice is and then the Chief Justice appoints the Court Administrator. This judge was the only one who publicly promised to appoint Hochul's preferred candidate for Court Administrator.

That is the main reason, but I don't think they are giving it as an "official" reason.

Kavros posted:

So is santos ... actually a crazy person? Legitimately mentally ill in some way that we find out about soon?

I think it might be compulsive/crazy at this point. He has just lied about everything, down to absolutely crazy stuff like being a volleyball captain, having two knee surgeries, hanging out with celebrities one time, his mom dying multiple times, and other stuff that is so specific and not even helpful to him, that I can't imagine he was doing it to benefit himself.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 17, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kith posted:

"Power users" to me means tech people - the ones who make bots and plugins and other fancy poo poo. Every single infosec person I know of fled Twitter as soon as the sale completed, for example.

It plays a prominent journalistic role around the world that has not been replicated. Infosec Twitter is a really small concern compared to government agencies and employees, news organizations, and situations that rely heavily on search (like the war in Ukraine), public health and so on.

I don’t know what you mean by “fled” based on this list, which shows many have opened accounts but continue to post on Twitter every day if you click through: https://techbeacon.com/security/top-25-infosec-leaders-follow-twitter

Reports of twitter’s demise are sadly a little exaggerated.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

I AM GRANDO posted:

If senators can see everything, that’s how you know ufos aren’t real. Because Tuberville would spill the beans five seconds after hearing about them, or Hawley would start yelling about how the aliens must be exterminated to preserve the glory of the white race.

Related to UFOs, last year, the congress required the DoD to provide an annual report on UFO research and sightings. They had a briefing to congress about it last year and the first report came out last week.

The tl;dr version:

- Most UFO sightings are identified later (they are generally satellites/planes from a foreign power, weather balloons, or prototype airplanes/drones that the Air Force does not want to publicly reveal).
- Most UFO sightings that they can't identify are from the 40's and 50's and don't have any audio or visual evidence, so they will likely never be identified.
- There are about 140 UFO sightings that no government or private agency has been able to verify/discover the origin of.
- The U.S. still regularly receives reports of UFO sightings and received over 350 in 2021.

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1613950963324420096

Additionally, one of the last acts of the previous congress required the DoD to review and publish all of their documents regarding UFO sightings from the 40's.

Most of them are testimony from random people that were not deemed useful, but people who study UFOs want to see the documents.

quote:

Dr. Vallée said, there’s no reason that “a farmer in his field” isn’t qualified to give a quality observation of a possible U.F.O. “The civilian observations tend to be longer, they tend to be more detailed, they tend to leave a trace that we can analyze,” he said.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1613889366446702594

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Kuttner (Prospect, Economic Policy Institute, assorted punditry) has thoughts about debt ceiling options that aren't minting the big coin.

He starts as one of the few to actually recognize the state of the situation:

quote:

The administration’s hope is that financial and corporate leaders, as allies of the Republicans, will increase the pressure on Kevin McCarthy and company to be reasonable.

It won’t work. Today’s House Republicans are substantially more reckless than past Republicans who extracted spending concessions from Democratic presidents by threatening to shut down the government or to refuse to extend the debt ceiling.

But for McCarthy and the Republican ultras, the more damage to the government, the better.

The more dire the consequences of default, they reckon, the more pressure it puts on Democrats to agree to savage cuts in public spending—outlays that have already been agreed to by Congress in the ordinary budget process. Indeed, if the cuts are deep enough, we don’t even need to increase the debt.
He proceeds to cover the massively successful hostage taking of the GOP on the debt ceiling, and then lays out a pair of options.

First (and to my opinion, most interesting and least likely) is to trust that corporate capture of the Supreme Court exceeds that of the House:

quote:

One way is for the Biden administration to turn the tables on the Republican Supreme Court and invoke constitutional originalism. Until 1917, when the government needed to sell a large sum of war bonds, there was no such thing as requiring a separate vote on increasing the national debt. But during World War I, the Wilson administration came up with the idea of having Congress vote in advance for a statutory debt limit. This allowed the Treasury to issue bonds without specific congressional approval, as long as the total public debt did not exceed the statutory debt ceiling.

But from 1789 to 1917, the government simply sold bonds and borrowed money necessary to carry out spending authorized by Congress. There was no such thing as a debt ceiling.

As a number of legal scholars, led by Garrett Epps, have pointed out, the 14th Amendment explicitly dispenses with the need for a separate vote on increasing the debt. Section 4 provides that “the validity of the public debt of the United States … shall not be questioned.”

And as Epps has explained, the circumstances of its enactment were eerily similar to today’s. In 1868, there was a risk that Republicans who supported Reconstruction would lose their majority in Congress. Democrats, dominated by Southerners, had openly threatened to repudiate the national debt, most of which had been incurred to finance the Civil War. But thanks to the 14th Amendment’s explicit guarantee, the debt was routinely rolled over.
Kuttner argues that by putting it in the court's hands, Biden's forcing it into either demolishing the debt ceiling or exposing the hypocrisy of its alleged originalism. That's horseshit, of course, but I do find the thought that Roberts+Gorsuch are more faithful servants to capital than the freedom caucus are more compelling.

His alternate theory is more straightforward and somewhat less likely:

quote:

When Clinton refused to agree to budget cuts demanded by Gingrich in November 1995, the Speaker threatened not to authorize an increase in the public debt, and forced a shutdown of the government that lasted five days. A second shutdown, beginning December 16, lasted 21 days.

But polls suggested that the public blamed the Republicans. It was Gingrich who blinked first, and the episode was the beginning of the end of his Speakership.

The lesson for today: By refusing to play, Biden would signal that if Kevin McCarthy wants to tank the world economy by allowing the U.S. to default on Treasury bonds, that’s on him.

McCarthy, given his deal with the far-right Freedom Caucus, would not blink first. But the 20 or so moderate Republicans, who were willing to vote for McCarthy as Speaker and accept his rules package, might well decide that enough is enough. Peeling off a few Republicans to vote for an increase in the debt ceiling without crippling cuts would have the further virtue of moving the House closer to a de facto House governing coalition of Democrats and sane Republicans.
"Crippling" here carries a tremendous amount of weight. There is absolutely a compromise bill that could pass the house via discharge petition, and that bill would have ruinous cuts to peel off the relatively sane Republicans who'd go for it. This isn't Pelosi whipping the caucus for PPACA with (paraphrasing) "This bill will extend healthcare to millions, especially children. It will come at the cost of your job. That cost is worth it." It's telling shitheads who have prioritized the job over core principles dozens of times in the past decade that the continued functioning of the global economy is worth giving up their jobs. I'm guessing the negotiations for cuts begins at "defund Planned Parenthood" and gets more ludicrous from there.

Returning, then, to the idea that the constitution makes the debt ceiling irrelevant:

quote:

The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Paracaidas posted:

Kuttner argues that by putting it in the court's hands, Biden's forcing it into either demolishing the debt ceiling or exposing the hypocrisy of its alleged originalism.

Yeah, going to go out on a limb here and say that any strategy founded on any republicans being ashamed of hypocrisy is going to be doomed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think that we more than likely default, because as mentioned the crazies are running the House now, and McCarthy has almost no power. If he tries to pass a debt ceiling extension without any concessions on spending from Dems he will lose the Speakership.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think that we more than likely default, because as mentioned the crazies are running the House now, and McCarthy has almost no power. If he tries to pass a debt ceiling extension without any concessions on spending from Dems he will lose the Speakership.

So is the outcome of that (Him losing the Speakership) that "moderate" GOPers who are beholden to Capital more than crazies working with Dems on a compromise speaker?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Kith posted:

What actual evidence do you have that the vast majority of power users fled twitter?

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
Someone tell this chud he's got it mixed up. You're supposed to make others do your stochastic terrorism, not do it yourself you sore loser!

Unfortunately even with not a drop of blood spilled, acts like this will scare some people out of running or holding office.

The United State's version of The Troubles will be absolutely hellish.

https://apnews.com/article/solomon-pena-gop-arrested-fbed4efadff3bc7469f83a01dd888e63

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

borkencode posted:

Yeah, going to go out on a limb here and say that any strategy founded on any republicans being ashamed of hypocrisy is going to be doomed.
Indeed, hypocrisy is privilege to the authoritarian. They like it when you point it out and signal boost it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I'm excited over the prospect of Twitter exploding, just to see what it'll do to the power users.

I'm not expecting much.
It has enough cultural inertia to limp by until they can convince shareholders that they'll keep Elon far away from the important buttons.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

twitter is a private company owned by elon musk and he is the ceo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

the_steve posted:

I'm not expecting much.
It has enough cultural inertia to limp by until they can convince shareholders that they'll keep Elon far away from the important buttons.

There are no shareholders. Musk holds all the shares and appoints the whole board. There is no leash to tug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Hochul maybe just dumb? That’s an acceptable reason for why politicians act this way, right?

I suspect in reality that she’s just a conservative and wants to get her way because ideologically she wants this guy, and also she wants to discipline the left flank

https://twitter.com/kaefair/status/1615370005784453124?s=46&t=GWBDqxKfYYFycRolqhvmsg

Imagine being this psychotic in the defense of a guy who said excluding people from a jury on the basis of skin color was fine!

https://queenseagle.com/all/2023/1/16/opinion-justice-lasalle-blessed-skin-color-discrimination-in-jury-selection-thats-disqualifying