Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This week's Economic Update opened with a report from the french academic world about the United States willingness to throw France under the bus for American interests.

Every day is another Suez crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Praying for this guy's safety- it takes courage to speak the truth.

https://twitter.com/ukraine_map/status/1615292927680430081

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Always remember: "in times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Wait, so the US is making a controled opposition party in ukraine after zelensky banned the real opposition?

Резидент posted:

⚡️⚡️⚡️#Инсайд
Our source in the OP told us that the technologists at the Office of the President decided to create from Arestovich a controlled opposition and a convenient sparring partner for Zelensky in the presidential campaign. Yesterday it was decided that Arestovich would leave the Office of the President so that he could expand his function and highlight the coordinated negativity against officials/politicians/military, to create a full-fledged political force that is not associated with Bankova.

https://t.me/rezident_ua/15962
(from t.me/rezident_ua/15967, via tgsa)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
All of it is extremely goofy tbh

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Too many political games in Ukraine, like this Klitschko dude is supposedly playing his own too

https://twitter.com/Lynski_07/status/1615155320908546050
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1615192272898752514
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1615295610176917505

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Dummies, he needs electricity, not weapons!!

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I could take it to CANPOL, but quickly - my wife is now getting frustrated that internal job listings are asking only for diverse candidates, she had to attend a two day training course on “Indigenous people

Your wife sounds like a piece of poo poo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Is Poroshenko still in charge of his own armed units?

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Poppypop2022/status/1615348145688395780

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This week's Economic Update opened with a report from the french academic world about the United States willingness to throw France under the bus for American interests.

The US is going to start treating Europe like it's treated Latin America for the past century

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

paul_soccer12 posted:

People are just burnt out by government HR speak. DND hired McKinsey and co to develop some diversity strategy and it was just setting money on fire.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

New wave or mobilization announced

https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1615393500844916758

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Военный Осведомитель posted:

Production and repair of BMP-2M Berezhok, BMP-3, BMD-4M, BTR-MDM Rakushka and BREM-L at Kurganmashzavod.

It is claimed that the plant has mastered the production of additional protection kits for BMP-3 and BMD-4M, which are now part of the standard equipment. Let's see how it will be in reality, given that at the moment the vast majority of BMPs in the special operations zone are not equipped with even the simplest additional protection.

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/95657, via tgsa)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

A Bakers Cousin posted:

otoh that article contains this line which...idk

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/s_h_uuko/status/1615249236173680640

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Both sides.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gonna buy the tit robot game to fund the war special military operation effort

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ardennes posted:

All of it is extremely goofy tbh

Hell I absolutely believe the control opposition narrative

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

I know eh? That had real potential but they whiffed it. My feeling about that was TV writers the world over are libs, and so while they were happy to satirize a lot of the cultural elements of modern Norway on the first season, they weren’t comfortable with actual full-throated criticism. It can’t stand up to it, or they can’t construct a defence for it, and so they avoid it.

Even the Victorian step-dad, who is hardly a firebrand, gets some criticisms in that they can’t really respond to other than saying you know, it’s old fashioned.

Since TV writers and politicians, or at least policymakers, are the same class and sort of people, this does not bode well for the future because probably the same thing that’s happening in Canada will happen in the EU as well. The Defence of the End of History was that it faced no challenges in the 90’s.

Now? Alfred the Great could kick it over in an afternoon because his vision of society offered people more.

Alfred the Great: War, Kingship and Culture in Anglo-Saxon England

This biography of Alfred the Great, king of the West Saxons (871-899), combines a sensitive reading of the primary sources with a careful evaluation of the most recent scholarly research on the history and archaeology of ninth-century England. Alfred emerges from the pages of this biography as a great warlord, an effective and inventive ruler, and a passionate scholar whose piety and intellectual curiosity led him to sponsor a cultural and spiritual renaissance. Alfred's victories on the battlefield and his sweeping administrative innovations not only preserved his native Wessex from viking conquest, but began the process of political consolidation that would culminate in the creation of the kingdom of England.

Alfred the Great: War, Kingship and Culture in Anglo-Saxon England strips away the varnish of later interpretations to recover the historical Alfredpragmatic, generous, brutal, pious, scholarly within the context of his own age.

Compare and contrast with Justin Trudeau, Jonas Gahr Støre. For that matter, Charles III and Harald V.

I liked when the beforeigners were roaming around Oslo like they were gmod characters.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Frosted Flake posted:

I could take it to CANPOL, but quickly - my wife is now getting frustrated that internal job listings are asking only for diverse candidates, she had to attend a two day training course on “Indigenous people"

I went to an industry conference where they had a seminar about understanding the issues faced by indigenous communities and working with indigenous stakeholders. The seminar was led by a member of that community who was employed by Imperial Oil as the head of their outreach and consultation with the first nations communities in the areas they operate in Canada and the States.. so like somebody these freaks should have respected as being high up in their world. The entire thing devolved into 40-60 year old men whining about how indigenous people aren't forced to take "white sensitivity" training and how much of a waste of time and money attending the seminar was.

It could be that these men were sick and tired of the political correctness run amok, or it could be that there's alot of loving racists and degenerates in Canada

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Starsfan posted:

I went to an industry conference where they had a seminar about understanding the issues faced by indigenous communities and working with indigenous stakeholders. The seminar was led by a member of that community who was employed by Imperial Oil as the head of their outreach and consultation with the first nations communities in the areas they operate in Canada and the States.. so like somebody these freaks should have respected as being high up in their world. The entire thing devolved into 40-60 year old men whining about how indigenous people aren't forced to take "white sensitivity" training and how much of a waste of time and money attending the seminar was.

It could be that these men were sick and tired of the political correctness run amok, or it could be that there's alot of loving racists and degenerates in Canada

Not like we had a pogrom against Mikmaq fishermen just like two years ago

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Isentropy posted:

Not like we had a pogrom against Mikmaq fishermen just like two years ago

I forgot about that.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

paul_soccer12 posted:

boy I love to spend time in the office where someone makes 10x the money as me talking about how diverse we are for an hour.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

genericnick posted:

Gonna buy the tit robot game to fund the war special military operation effort

big tiddy robots for some, artillery shells for others

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Getting civilians involved in funding a war makes it much more personal. People are already trained to tie spending-habits to personal morality, all you've got to do is make Ukraine a brand and people will defend it like it's the new xbox.

Its kind of brilliant, actually.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Tankbuster posted:

boy I love to spend time in the office where someone makes 10x the money as me talking about how diverse we are for an hour.

Ya I'm sure Cato wife is an underpaid wage slave whose time would be otherwise spent helping the least among us

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
to be fair nobody likes awareness seminars at work because you can tell that your employer doesn't actually give a poo poo and it's just a cynical waste of your time for pr purposes

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

If an employer wants to pay me to daydream/plan my evening while someone drones through some cynical take on capitalism's view of diversity instead of exploit my labor power all the more power to them. Crying about that or Innuit mathematicians seems kinda lol

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Frosted Flake posted:

I could take it to CANPOL, but quickly

This is a good post, and would be better than 99.9% of the posts in CANPOL lately

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

canadian neolibs inventing bold new ways to be racist

FF what's yr substack

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

those things are only annoying because you can't really look at your phone during them and thus its harder to waste time

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

paul_soccer12 posted:

Ya I'm sure Cato wife is an underpaid wage slave whose time would be otherwise spent helping the least among us

you should sit through boring meetings if you get paid a good wage. People should be allowed to look at their phone as a sensible compromise tbh.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Getting civilians involved in funding a war makes it much more personal. People are already trained to tie spending-habits to personal morality, all you've got to do is make Ukraine a brand and people will defend it like it's the new xbox.

we’re beyond a brand at this point, ukraine is a loving religion to some people

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

dieselfruit posted:

FF what's yr substack

https://www.canada.ca/en/army/services/canadian-army-journal.html

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Kinda similar to Buy Bonds for victory isnt it? Whats novel is that its buy bonds for some other country's victory.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

I could take it to CANPOL, but quickly - my wife is now getting frustrated that internal job listings are asking only for diverse candidates, she had to attend a two day training course on “Indigenous people and (obscure area of government policy in which there are no indigenous people nor relates to them)”, Statistics Canada has an HR manager in a job code that pays + $110k whose program of responsibility is to hire Inuit mathematicians.

The problem is that as Liberalism has nothing to offer people but this, and as this is clearly bullshit and doesn’t do anything, it’s creating more and more… idk bad vibes. Among a population without class consciousness and to which Canadian history basically isn’t taught, the whole thing is hanging by a thread - how much university educated PMC like my spouse feel like their sense of being good people requires them to support it. Among people who didn’t pick up that affectation by going to good universities, and getting good jobs where they don’t want to cross HR, there’s no buy-in at all.

The Bottlemen point out that none of these neoliberal policies can survive even basic examination so they put out these cultural values as what they compared to “Explosive Reactive Armour”. Canada is taking 300k immigrants a year, every year, even as house prices rise, wages are stagnant, and standards of living fall. Why? To drive down wages and because the population can’t afford to have kids anymore. Since they understand they can’t say that, it’s because we’re a multicultural society that values diversity.

Well, now people resent the diversity and have latched onto these ideas of white replacement, a universal “white” identity, all of this really dangerous poo poo. The ablative protection for neoliberal economics is having some very serious and potentially frightening effects as neoliberal economics continue to grind society to dust, with a smiling face.

I think I posted it in another thread, but there’s a very good book about how official multiculturalism in Canada was a completely artificial top-down programme to prevent Canada from going the way of Northern Ireland, which it truly seemed to be. Canada was a deeply violent, sectarian, country who had two clear and distinct competing nationalisms fighting for control of one state. The ruling class has been, since the beginning, in a compact across those lines. In the 1850’s they made a deal between English and French, the Laurentian Consensus. They’re above fighting over language and religion as they’re at the top of their respective societies. Kayfabe is useful though, and they weren’t above stirring it up for domestic consumption. Well, by the mid 20th century things were getting out of control and the ruling class needed to pump the brakes on the sectarian conflict.

So they decided, centred around the centennial in 1967, to change the culture of Canada to defuse the crisis - while keeping the economic structures intact. Open up immigration and dilute the two clashing sects, encourage this idea of a multicultural society. Now keep in mind that the British reaction to the rebellions in Canada in the mid 1800’s was to flood Canada with British immigrants and start a massive campaign to encourage a British identity, and you can see how this seems like a move to prop up the power of the ruling class. Both worked - for a time.

The British policy worked until the 1960’s, when after the two Conscription Crises, Quebec was at the “militant protests and increasing involvement of the Church and other institutions” stage of The Troubles. In the 70’s, the Canadian Army was sent in to quell unrest, at almost the same time the British did the same in Ireland in Operation Banner.

The reason people forget, don’t think about, don’t know this, and other elements of Canada’s very recent past, (the Orange Order march on The Fifth was Toronto’s largest and most attended parade until the mid 70’s) is that the multiculturalism thing worked, just like the British attempts to engineer a more amenable Canadian society worked. Remember, “money and the ethnic vote”? Unrest in Quebec was quelled and Ontario became less militantly Proddie (the real reason Ontario and Manitoba retained the Union Jack on Red Ensign after the introduction of the Maple Leaf flag, by the way).

Well, now we hit another crisis, maybe not as bad as those that awoke Quebec nationalism and everything else in the mid 20th c, but Quebec has seen a sudden surge of blood and soil nationalism, and the rest of Canada has seen all of this resentment swell too. Liberalism cannot and will not respond to the crises. These things are all getting worse in a way even people who grew up in the End of History with no class consciousness or understanding of politics or economics can feel.

Only, the generations now grew up with multicultural (non sectarian) identities, and were taught the fantasyland version of what Canadian history, society, culture were so they’re organizing around being White instead of English or Proddie, or even Catholic for that matter, and Liberalism is perfectly content to protect the economic order by using indigenous people, immigrants, any “diverse” population, as a shield for the economic and political system. The ERA comparison is bang on.

And yeah, Western Canada even moreso, was more-or-less settled under a policy of being “White” at a time when the British economy was relatively good. That meant there were very few British settlers compared to the three earlier waves of post 1790 settlement, not enough to “people the West”. Remember the purposes were threefold: Outnumber the Indians, outnumber the French, Catholic, Indian and rebellious Métis, and outnumber the Americans then living north of the 49th. That meant opening immigration up to Norwegians, Germans, Poles, of course Ukrainians, rather than the Scots, Irish and English that were the preferred settlers in other organized top-down immigration campaigns.

As an aside, there are disproportionately very few Welsh in Canada, even compared to the USA, and Welsh culture has not survived here at all or left much of a mark at all. One reason is that during the Victorian Era, most Welshmen were nonconformist, and in 1914 the Church of Wales was disestablished. Nonconformist, with a national and linguistic identity that, while subdued, was still not English did not make them ideal settlers to drown out the French Catholicism of Canada. Whereas, Ulster Scots were the preferred group, follows by Highland Scots and Irish Unionists. Their sectarian identity was much stronger, aligned, and therefore useful, to Britain as islands of loyalty in Canada.

Anyways, where they could count on the loyalty of British groups for the above reasons, they were not sure how to cultivate a loyal identity and identification with Canada in the non-British settlers of the 1900’s and so they settled on “White” as their commonality. That was the basis of Western Canadian culture, such as it is. There were pockets of the old pattern, but of course there were still Métis and settlers from Quebec too, so they really hammed home this ersatz Mickey Mouse western Canadian identity that could be summed up as “material prosperity”, “pioneering spirit” and “pluck”. Combined with “Whiteness” as an organizing principle, just like Multiculturalism, it worked for a time, but as soon as there was a material crisis had serious downstream results.

So basically a series of decisions made by the Canadian ruling class since 1967, itself a result of policies from 1867 and 1767, has used immigration by “loyal groups” (the diverse immigrant populations are obviously supposed to be loyal to cultural liberalism and so by extension the Laurentians and LPC) and the construction of a mythologized culture and history that reinforces that loyalty, as a way to deal with any problem rather than address material conditions.

So, to that Croatian guy, Canada is just as artificial a nation, with just as false a construction of national identity and ethnos, with the downside that ours is like 1:1 tied to the End of History instead of the Dual Monarchy. It’s not wholly outside the imagination that a prolonged crisis and collapse of the End of History sees pogrom and all of the other things that accompanied the fall of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Even if the expression is not as extreme, the cause is similarly because the ruling class hopes to seed “diverse” populations everywhere to act as a magnet for discontent and backstop to loyalty, which is pretty much how Germans and Jews were, if not used then perceived, within Austria-Hungary.

It’s frustrating as hell because where a Canadian Liberal has thought terminating cliches that trip a switch immediately and tune you out, the right is receptive to ~80% of this but because they are still right wing, conclude the problem is the minorities and diversity, instead of the socioeconomic system, material conditions, any of this other poo poo.

It doesn’t exactly mirror how NATO and the EU used this stuff in Ukraine but liberalism is extremely dangerous in the ways it tries to divert attention from structures of power. Blood and soil nationalism is preferred by them over socialism, and so there is no telling where any of this goes. “White Canadian” is exactly as artificial an identity as the Viking-descended Ukrainian garbage, or really even the Galician identity Austria-Hungary intended, so it’s only our relative stability and material prosperity, maybe at this point belief in those things, plus biases for our own societies, that makes us think the ruling class can’t or won’t as easily play the same games and reap the same whirlwind here.

Would she be happier if Canada just gave the Inuit their land back instead of hiring them to do math?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
first of all i wanna say that as a mathematician i feel that it's very cruel to take unsuspecting inuit youths and subject them to the brain-breaking that is university maths, and second of all, if you really want inuit mathematicians on the payroll i feel like you could probably get at least two of them for 110000 canuckdollars a year rather than blowing that cash on a sinecure for some failchild

but of course the actual point with this isn't to provide jobs for mathematicians of any ethnicity, but rather those sinecures for failkids

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

Ukraine is a necessary win for the United States to re-establish complete dominance of not only Europe but to corner Russia and eventually lead to containment strategy versus China. Without victory in Ukraine, the US is in genuinely a tricky position.

Is it necessary that Ukraine win for the USA to establish that dominance? It seems to me that just having the war is allowing it to do that and that Ukraine losing would if anything encourage the Euros to more willingly accept the hegemony of the USA.
What does victory in Ukraine get for the USA beyond exploiting the resources of the country? It's a big PR win I guess, convinces some that NATO will keep them safe, but I think fear is a better motivator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cerebral Bore posted:

first of all i wanna say that as a mathematician i feel that it's very cruel to take unsuspecting inuit youths and subject them to the brain-breaking that is university maths, and second of all, if you really want inuit mathematicians on the payroll i feel like you could probably get at least two of them for 110000 canuckdollars a year rather than blowing that cash on a sinecure for some failchild

but of course the actual point with this isn't to provide jobs for mathematicians of any ethnicity, but rather those sinecures for failkids

I guess that's it, right? It's just how strange the whole thing is, and that it's being offered as an alternative to improving material conditions so that Inuit can get that advanced post secondary education in math.