Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
After a bunch of aborted Karashar runs in Anbennar I finally got off the ground in a great way. Decided to do Shadowdreamer instead of Masked Butcher and popped up around Jadd, which had been completely destroyed by Gnolls and Haramari and I'm the biggest guy in Bulwar besides the tiger men. Really impressed by how the mission tree is set up in such a way that no matter where you emerge from the serpentspine from you'll always have something to do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I have been trying out Ameion (the blue Alexander the great style ruinborn country in the South) and I can really recommend it, it's a lot of fun. At least in my playthrough it's been paced really well, you start out weaker than Larankar, you have a few really fun wars with them, and then by the time you control Tachyend one of the island Greek esque cities has probably pulled ahead and formed Kheios, and so you now have another big enemy to deal with.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Red Bones posted:

I have been trying out Ameion (the blue Alexander the great style ruinborn country in the South) and I can really recommend it, it's a lot of fun. At least in my playthrough it's been paced really well, you start out weaker than Larankar, you have a few really fun wars with them, and then by the time you control Tachyend one of the island Greek esque cities has probably pulled ahead and formed Kheios, and so you now have another big enemy to deal with.

And after that, you can deal with the colonizers!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Torrannor posted:

And after that, you can deal with the colonizers!

And after that, yourself :devil:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Red Bones posted:

I had mixed feelings on this one. Parts of it were fun, but there’s also some heavily scripted bullshit like you help Larankar’s vassals become independent and beat Larankar into a rump state, then you do the mission to take them down once and for all and they get 90% of their land and all their vassals back because the MT says so

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Another cheevo :toot:

Cebu actually has some strong early ideas so that made it more fun, also some missions to just cede you uncolonized Philippine land for free, cores included.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I ask this every time I get back into this game and apparently it doesn't bother anyone else OR it's not fixable but: does anyone know of a map font mod that will fix the way accented letters show up in country/province names?

the default font makes stuff show up as like ARAGóN and it looks dumb but it seems like all the font mods I find also have this problem

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Uh, they don't have accents for me.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

yeah i've never installed a font mod and i don't have that either

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I just started up a vanilla game and this is the kind of thing I'm talking about :

Again it's very possible this is a "doesn't bother anyone else" thing but I play Spain and Portugal a lot and I like to put the accents in all the province names so it comes up sometimes

another good example:

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Just searching for map fonts in the workshop gave me a thousand results. Have fun picking one.

e: unless it still happens even with alternate fonts....

Box wine fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 8, 2023

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

seems likely that the way the game renders map fonts is to have a fixed height for all characters, in which case you're out of luck

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Anbennar question :
I do not want to dig through the reddit or wiki of the mod and accidentally spoiler myself on unrelated story beats, so i ask here

Is there any country that enables the 'infernal court' as a religion, the one mentioned in some loading screen 'hints' ?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I think it's disabled and being reworked right now, sadly.

And yes Anbennar is pretty amazing.

e: Just reread your thing about not wanting to look at reddit; basically they were an escanni formable empire but are not in the game right now.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 9, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
AFAIK Moredhal, the infernal court nation, has been orphaned for a while so it's unlikely to appear unless someone dedicated picks it back up. Which may happen now that new nation trees and ideas are being accepted but big nations like that take a while.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Go home Ming, you're drunk. (and about to explode since they have the nomad frontier disaster)

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
My understanding of Anbennar development right now is that sarhal is making very rapid progress, then they wanna do not-Australia, then they'll start redoing some of the neglected areas in earnest.

You could join the discord and ask about the infernal court nation though, and maybe see if there's a small team brainstorming it and help them with writing if so!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Detheros posted:

Go home Ming, you're drunk. (and about to explode since they have the nomad frontier disaster)

Somalia enjoyer, I see. Who did you start as?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Ajuuran because I wanted an easier start after punching myself in the dick trying to get an ardabil run off the ground.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Nice work if you can get it.

I just formed my first Somalia too, except I started as Pate because I love pain & hate myself, and wanted a go at the Third Way. Somalia being one of many nations that cannot be formed by a horde, but CAN be formed by a tribal monarchy and then reform into a horde. We will both raid, loot AND burn everything.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

JosefStalinator posted:

My understanding of Anbennar development right now is that sarhal is making very rapid progress, then they wanna do not-Australia, then they'll start redoing some of the neglected areas in earnest.

You could join the discord and ask about the infernal court nation though, and maybe see if there's a small team brainstorming it and help them with writing if so!

I really wouldn't want to be the thousandth random guy Kramering into their discord and bother them about some random stuff and then offering my no-good writing that I can't back up with actual coding

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Infernal Court is getting a rework for use in an Esmaria mission tree evidently

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

skipThings posted:

I really wouldn't want to be the thousandth random guy Kramering into their discord and bother them about some random stuff and then offering my no-good writing that I can't back up with actual coding

The coding isn't particularly hard and there's always people willing to help with syntax. Join, see if the nation you're interested in has people already working on it, and see what they need. If it's a small or non-elf/dwarf/human nation then there's a high chance someone hasn't even started looking at it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

My Kobold game is going fairly well all things considered (this is while still monstrous):

Only took a couple reloads to get that far :v:

e: And apparently Lorent will join me for an offensive war on Portnamm which co-belligerents Gawed who have almost no manpower. I might actually be able to survive this.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 12, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
What’s the best way to raise Artifice Capacity in Anbennar? I often end up with way more cool inventions unlocked than I have space to fill

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

skasion posted:

What’s the best way to raise Artifice Capacity in Anbennar? I often end up with way more cool inventions unlocked than I have space to fill

You kind of have to accept that unless you're a gnome, kobold, or goblin, or have the technocracy government/a unique government type that is equivalent to it, your artifice capacity is going to be extremely limited forever. Having an artifice boosting primary race and government type and, ideally, permanent bonuses from your mission tree is the absolute best way to gain artifice capacity. Other bonuses to it are either capped low(ie: you get more from having a university but building more than one does nothing) or extremely difficult to take advantage of(ie: every damestear, coal, or artifact deposit gives a flat bonus with no cap but good luck having more than like 3 or 4 of them even in a large country).

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

skasion posted:

Conquer damestear or precursor artifact provinces (+3 and +5 respectively). Provinces owned by colonies count, vassals do not.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Average Bear posted:

Conquer damestear or precursor artifact provinces (+3 and +5 respectively). Provinces owned by colonies count, vassals do not.

Yeah this was about as good a solution as I could find. only takes you so far though because they’re rare and temporary resources.

cock hero flux posted:

You kind of have to accept that unless you're a gnome, kobold, or goblin, or have the technocracy government/a unique government type that is equivalent to it, your artifice capacity is going to be extremely limited forever. Having an artifice boosting primary race and government type and, ideally, permanent bonuses from your mission tree is the absolute best way to gain artifice capacity. Other bonuses to it are either capped low(ie: you get more from having a university but building more than one does nothing) or extremely difficult to take advantage of(ie: every damestear, coal, or artifact deposit gives a flat bonus with no cap but good luck having more than like 3 or 4 of them even in a large country).

Thanks, pretty much what I was afraid of. Guess I’ll give Nimscodd a try or something

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cock hero flux posted:

Conquer Eordand for all the Precursor Artifact provinces.

ikpl56
Mar 30, 2011
You can also crack open the temples in Haless for hecka relics.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
If you play the oni, you can summon a meteor and make more damestar :getin:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

JosefStalinator posted:

If you play the oni, you can summon a meteor and make more damestar :getin:

...in a 1/1/1 province. Instead of doing like half a dozen significantly better things.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Middle 1700s as Sunrise Empire I was able to get into the 60s for artificer capacity but that involved a lot of precursor relics. It's fairly location dependent on if you can really be an artificer nation. Ironically Dwarovar is pretty terrible for artificery bonuses. Though Eordand is weirdly good at it due to high precursor relic numbers.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-development-diary-17th-of-january-2023-emperor-of-china.1565232/

Ming rework

quote:

The Ming will see many new additions, mechanics and cool-stuff-in-general with 1.35:
A brand new, fully-fleshed out mission tree
Accompanied by a new Estate - the Eunuchs
New tough challenges as you struggle to curb the influence of the Eunuchs and prevent your (historical) collapse
Over a dozen new Reforms that interact with and are complemented by various missions (yes we tweaked the gain and loss of Mandate)
New Decrees that interact with and are complemented by various missions
New Flavor events integrated in the mission tree - as well as independent from it
Deep modability and new functions added to the Mandate mechanic
A new great project that spans several provinces

quote:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through 2023’s first Dev Diary! I hope you are just as excited to delve into the new content as we were while making it! We will be back next week to talk about the new content we have created for… The Ottomans! Cheers!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kild posted:

quote:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through 2023’s first Dev Diary! I hope you are just as excited to delve into the new content as we were while making it! We will be back next week to talk about the new content we have created for… The Ottomans! Cheers!
Hopefully something to help them grow early but get weaker as the game goes on (in the AI's hands).
e.g. annex the Mamluks like they did historically

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hopefully something to help them grow early but get weaker as the game goes on (in the AI's hands).
e.g. annex the Mamluks like they did historically

The game just doesn't simulate very well how the loss of trade absolutely hosed the ottomans.

A disaster with out of control inflation that they have to try and get under control once overseas trade gets high enough would be kind of unique and let them be stronger earlier.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rynoto posted:

The game just doesn't simulate very well how the loss of trade absolutely hosed the ottomans.

A disaster with out of control inflation that they have to try and get under control once overseas trade gets high enough would be kind of unique and let them be stronger earlier.
Yeah we'll need EU5 to get a better way to handle trade. I hope its nothing too elaborate. I'm horribly sleep deprived but I think I remember that the Ottomans mainly used Egypt for the tax revenue and cheap food so maybe something to model that and as you mentioned, the whole trade thing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Do the Ottomans lose any trade in game at all? Based on my observations they usually just steer a ton of it to Constantin Istanbul and it stays there forever and only increases over time. Does the colonizer nation AI even manage to extract trade wealth from India and SEA and get it around Cape and up into their end nodes?

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Poil posted:

Do the Ottomans lose any trade in game at all? Based on my observations they usually just steer a ton of it to Constantin Istanbul and it stays there forever and only increases over time. Does the colonizer nation AI even manage to extract trade wealth from India and SEA and get it around Cape and up into their end nodes?

Pre-institutions the European AI was somewhat decent at using the expansion CB & protectorates to beat up the East & start diverting trade but I haven't really seen it do too hot since - it just grabs a smattering of pacific and Indonesian islands via colonization and doesn't do too much else. Doesn't help that by the time the AI comes round the cape in strength the institutions with global spread factors (trade & manufactories) are coming online and their early game tech advantage is slipping away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Finally Ming content.

Maybe playing as one of the Warlrods will be fun. Revive the Great Qin!