Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

If Bengals mortgaged a ring for 20 years of failure, they'd have roughly 3 rings instead of firmly 0. Most teams just do the failure part. Be happy your team won in recent memory:redass:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

joe football posted:

If your team has never won a championship in your lifetime, winning a championship is really important

If they have, consistently being good is probably better
I think this is probably where I'm at. I've never even seen a Super Bowl appearance (0/4 in AFCCG) in my life so I'd be willing to go through literally what I've always gone through for a Super Bowl win.

After that I think I'd want consistent competence.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

wandler20 posted:

You're nuts. The Bucs were poo poo for 20 years after they won their first SB and I wouldn't trade it away for that.

I remember the Krafts saying that at one point after the Ravens won it all more recently and the Pats hadn't in a while (at the time). Basically, "Where are they now? they missed the playoffs X straight years." Now, when you have the GOAT, I think you can do that, because you aren't just making the playoffs; every year feels like it's possible to win a Super Bowl. I just doubt it works for anyone else because you need to suck to get draft picks to get playmakers on rookie contracts to build competitive teams.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

watching a pretty good team feels good and fun. it's not about an accomplishment. i know my team has not won it but i am just as big a fan of another team that has won the second most titles in their sport. the championship isn't my accomplishment so i would never look back 12 years ago and have a good time for a full season because of thinking of that time 12 years ago. it doesn't matter to me. it's the same as what norm said about gambling.

why the attraction? most people would think it's the wins that keep the gambler going, but any gambler knows that this is not true. as you place your chips on the craps table, you feel anxiety and impatience. when the red dice hit the green felt with a thunk and you're declared the winner and the chips are pushed toward you, you feel relief. relief is all and relief is fine but hardly what a man would give the whole rest of his life to gain. it has to be something else. and the best i've come up with is this: it is a particular moment. a magic moment that occurs after the placing of a bet and before the result of that bet. it is after the red dice are thrown but before they lie still on the green felt where they fall. it is when the dice are in the air and as long as they are there, time stops. as long as the red dice are in the air, the gambler has hope. and hope is a wonderful thing to be addicted to. whopper whopper whopper whopper. if you feel different that's fine. not trying to say how it is for everybody

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 17, 2023

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Tbh after the horrible chiefs bucs super bowl I was relieved to lose in the playoffs last year. Having a team to root for to make games interesting and watching close games that you usually win are the best seasons to me. If every game was a blowout that my team won, I’d stop watching every week. I sometimes have as much fun rooting against a team (bengals or bucs) or rooting for an underdog (jags last week) as I do watching my favorite team.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ort posted:

Tbh after the horrible chiefs bucs super bowl I was relieved to lose in the playoffs last year. Having a team to root for to make games interesting and watching close games that you usually win are the best seasons to me. If every game was a blowout that my team won, I’d stop watching every week. I sometimes have as much fun rooting against a team (bengals or bucs) or rooting for an underdog (jags last week) as I do watching my favorite team.

Kawalimus you're posting on the wrong account

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Who will or can ever stop these juggernaut bengala

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I like it when my team wins and competes for Superbowls. It's neato

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

TheBizzness posted:

What if they have won a championship but it was 50 years ago and you hadn’t been born yet

You get disappointed year after year with the Blazers wasting Damian Lillard's prime.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

sweet thursday posted:

Who will or can ever stop these juggernaut bengala
Not the Bills if Josh Allen keeps going all Santa Claus and gifting opponents with 2-3 turnovers a game!

....And that's just Josh Allen, our backs and receivers fumble too!

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
The Eagles were competitive more often than not for the better part of two decades before 2017, and while it always sucked to see them lose in the playoffs (or miss a trip to them entirely), it was still a fun team to watch, and you could count on them to be worth checking out every week. They hadn't won a championship since the middle of the 20th century, but they were good enough to make you think Maybe This Year, and that was nice. Wins were great, losses stung.

Then 2017 happened, and it was the coolest loving thing on the planet, and suddenly the wins were somehow a little less great and the losses didn't sting at all. Only this past year have I really come back around to feeling anywhere close to those pre-2017 years, and even now there's nowhere near the same sense of "holy poo poo I hope to hell we somehow make this happen." It'd be awesome, without a doubt, and they've been super exciting to watch this year, obviously, but the desperation isn't there anymore and it has made the whole thing less of an emotional roller coaster.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Toaster Beef posted:

The Eagles were competitive more often than not for the better part of two decades before 2017, and while it always sucked to see them lose in the playoffs (or miss a trip to them entirely), it was still a fun team to watch, and you could count on them to be worth checking out every week. They hadn't won a championship since the middle of the 20th century, but they were good enough to make you think Maybe This Year, and that was nice. Wins were great, losses stung.

Then 2017 happened, and it was the coolest loving thing on the planet, and suddenly the wins were somehow a little less great and the losses didn't sting at all. Only this past year have I really come back around to feeling anywhere close to those pre-2017 years, and even now there's nowhere near the same sense of "holy poo poo I hope to hell we somehow make this happen." It'd be awesome, without a doubt, and they've been super exciting to watch this year, obviously, but the desperation isn't there anymore and it has made the whole thing less of an emotional roller coaster.
I think this hit a lot of Eagles fans. I used to hate watching football with them before 2017 (and I still grief my best friend who swore off football forever when Wentz got hurt). But now? They're chill.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
2007 and 2011 replays have gotten me through a lot of lean seasons this last decade.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

I think this is probably where I'm at. I've never even seen a Super Bowl appearance (0/4 in AFCCG) in my life so I'd be willing to go through literally what I've always gone through for a Super Bowl win.

After that I think I'd want consistent competence.

If they win a super bowl it's house money for the rest of my life.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
To me it goes away for a few years maybe, but as soon as you have a new crop of players it starts all over again. Because the Ravens may have won twice since I started watching, but the current set of key players have not. And we need to keep improving our overall record and playoff record which have faltered.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Pain of Mind posted:

Winning always feels so transient that I would prefer 10 solid playoff years in a row with no superbowls than 1 superbowl and then being in the basement for years.

As a fan of a team who had a super bowl followed by 10 years of spectacular failure

lmao no you wouldn't, championships rule

davecrazy posted:

2007 and 2011 replays have gotten me through a lot of lean seasons this last decade.

I've fully accepted that I'll probably never experience a win as high as 2007 and I will treasure it for the rest of my life

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 17, 2023

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Pain of Mind posted:

Winning always feels so transient that I would prefer 10 solid playoff years in a row with no superbowls than 1 superbowl and then being in the basement for years.

2015 is worth the literal hell of the recent years

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Yah, GB has been doing the whole "just be consistently good but not get a ring" for the past 12 years and the fan base wants to riot. I'll take another ring and then 5 years of being poo poo, thank you very much.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I have accepted that the Seahawks will never reach a Super Bowl again, but we got one at least, and that's helped me sleep through all the playoff losses since.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Anti-Hero posted:

Yah, GB has been doing the whole "just be consistently good but not get a ring" for the past 12 years and the fan base wants to riot. I'll take another ring and then 5 years of being poo poo, thank you very much.

The Packers won a Super Bowl in recent memory

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Manoueverable posted:

I have accepted that the Seahawks will never reach a Super Bowl again, but we got one at least, and that's helped me sleep through all the playoff losses since.

At least we didn't have to worry about watching a playoff loss last year :unsmith:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I started getting antsy again in about year 8 of the Ravens decade of spectacular failure

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I mean, I was like 8 when this game was played and it still gets me fired up.

Jerry Rice untouched fumbling away a sure TD.
The fake punt
LT picking off Montana for the pick 6 as Montana got removed from reality.
All the 2 back formations...two backs everywhere...
Harry Carson Gatorade bath Parcells AND Belichick

Madden...Summerall

This stuff is like crack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z-niWc7yUM

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 17, 2023

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

They’ve at still consistently had a chance and gave you fun seasons where you could be invested the whole time.

The alternative is probably “going all in”, still not winning the SB and then a few seasons of actual misery

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I have watched all 5 Niners SB victories. Embarrassing John Elway and Dan Marino were my favorite ones.

:smuggo:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

davecrazy posted:

I subsist on 2015 and for some reason 2013 is a blackhole in my memory. I have no idea what happened then. It's hard to say.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Russell Gage has a neck injury, but at least is able to move his arms and legs. Hope that garbage time TD was worth it, Tom!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I turned 18 the year the Pats won their first SB so I've certainly got enough memories to coast on forever even if they are poo poo for the rest of my life (which they probably will be lol).

rip my kids though. They were both alive for 28-3 and the Rams SB but not old enough to remember them. "Technically lived through 2 Brady super bowl wins" will have to be enough for the next generation.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Nervous posted:

You get disappointed year after year with the Blazers wasting Brandon Roy Lamarcus AldridgeDamian Lillard's prime.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Packers won a Super Bowl in recent memory

Correct, and people all over reddit (I know, I know) gripe about how terrible the team is for not winning more. Even though we got one in recent memory and we've only missed the playoffs twice (?) since then. Personally I'd be fine with going all in and turning in to a pumpkin like the Eagles after '17, (and the '21 Rams) but I can see why the Front Office chooses to do business the way they do.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

If they win a super bowl it's house money for the rest of my life.

You know we see your probes about the Yankees right?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As a Chris Paul fan who will likely never see him win a title, all those downplaying the importance of the title are making me Sports Mad. I know it's a basketball thing but no, consistently good to very good isn't a replacement for seeing a team or player you love win it all. The Harden Choke and the Milwaukee Series have pretty much broken me at this point. :smith:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AndrewP posted:

They’ve at still consistently had a chance and gave you fun seasons where you could be invested the whole time.

The alternative is probably “going all in”, still not winning the SB and then a few seasons of actual misery

They’ve had a first round bye 5 times since their last Superbowl and have made the Superbowl zero times since then. That includes blowing two NFC championships that should have been in the bag and two NFC championships where they got blown out.

They’re like the Oklahoma of the NFL, cruising through the regular season in a bad division only to get bounced in embarrassing fashion from the playoffs. It’s better than being consistently terrible but constantly getting hyped up and then coming up short would also be frustrating.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Febreeze posted:

I've fully accepted that I'll probably never experience a win as high as 2007 and I will treasure it for the rest of my life

This is how I feel about the seahawks broncos superbowl. I was 25 living in the city with a bunch of my best friends wrapping up college. Responsible for just myself and my dog. Watching an all time rear end whooping where it was just a celebration from literally the first snap. Bussed downtown to celebrate after, was one of those people waiting for lights to change before crossing, and partying all night.

A top 5 day in my life after wedding and children being born.

I doubt I will see the like of it again.

Tears in the rain etc.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Anti-Hero posted:

Personally I'd be fine with going all in and turning in to a pumpkin like the Eagles after '17

Packer fans are so spoiled they think making the playoffs four out of five years is turning into a pumpkin.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I think different mentalities are required to enjoy sports depending upon whether your team is usually successful and sometimes or often wins titles, has up and down seasons but is sometimes a contender or is usually bad to mediocre.

It’s obviously pretty easy to be a fan of the Patriots or Alabama or the Warriors having a run of titles. The trick is deriving enjoyment as a fan of the Bears or Commanders or Lions. You have to be able to enjoy individual wins or great players that come through or memorable plays.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

As a Chris Paul fan who will likely never see him win a title, all those downplaying the importance of the title are making me Sports Mad. I know it's a basketball thing but no, consistently good to very good isn't a replacement for seeing a team or player you love win it all. The Harden Choke and the Milwaukee Series have pretty much broken me at this point. :smith:

hope you figure it out and stop having sports ruin your life consistently. maybe a chris paul title would actually make you realize something 2 or 3 years later. that's not something happening to you; it's you.

it's a horrible disaster to pretty much be at a place where nothing short of a championship actively does harm to you. that's all. just feels very :( about the whole thing

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 17, 2023

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Cavauro posted:

it's a horrible disaster to pretty much be at a place where nothing short of a championship actively does harm to you. that's all. just feels very :( about the whole thing

Yeah, pinning every last bit of enjoyment you might get out of a football season on the chances of your team doing something that 31 out of 32 teams won't do just sounds miserable.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lmao at thinking playoffs every couple years for 5 years is the dark period.

Jets haven't made the playoffs in 12 years or hosted a playoff game in 20.
Dolphins and Raiders haven't won a playoff game in 20/21 years.
Lions haven't won a playoff game in 31 years.

It can always get bleaker and more desperate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Cavauro posted:

hope you figure it out and stop having sports ruin your life consistently. maybe a chris paul title would actually make you realize something 2 or 3 years later. that's not something happening to you; it's you.

Anyone want to see a dead body