Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Has there ever been a large product push on popular YouTubers/steamers where the product hasn't been complete rear end or a scam? Hellofresh, raycons, betterhelp, raid Shadow legends etc I just assumed all of it is garbage trash or exploiting the customer somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Casper mattresses were a legit good product, but even they caught by some sort of scandal and went under a few years ago.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

remember loot boxes

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Raycons are fine, aren't they? I had a pair a few years ago and they worked great until I accidentally dropped one and stepped on it. Even then, it basically worked, it was just way too quiet in that ear. But generally, yeah, it seems to me that anything that eager to advertise can't be worth it.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

beep by grandpa posted:

Has there ever been a large product push on popular YouTubers/steamers where the product hasn't been complete rear end or a scam? Hellofresh, raycons, betterhelp, raid Shadow legends etc I just assumed all of it is garbage trash or exploiting the customer somehow

I remember hearing that Hello Fresh has been stiffing streamers. This is set up to be a mess

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
hello fresh is pretty good, youre paying a premium over figuring out recipes and going shopping yourself obviously but like, thats how services work

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The real move is to just get the recipe cards and follow them and do the shopping yourself

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Farg posted:

hello fresh is pretty good, youre paying a premium over figuring out recipes and going shopping yourself obviously but like, thats how services work

Most recipies are given in step by step instruction just like the hello fresh. The only thing it uniquely provdes is getting shittier less fresh ingredients

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Dabir posted:

Raycons are fine, aren't they? I had a pair a few years ago and they worked great until I accidentally dropped one and stepped on it. Even then, it basically worked, it was just way too quiet in that ear. But generally, yeah, it seems to me that anything that eager to advertise can't be worth it.

Raycons are like $30 max quality earbuds that they retail for $120 but you can get them for the low, low, price of $60 if you enter the code from your favorite Youtuber!

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Dabir posted:

As far as I've read (by which i mean i watched a youtube video and read one review site's take) the Raycons are fine at blocking out noise but they're even more bass-heavy than something like a pair of Beats by Dre headphones and they're not especially good value for money.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Most recipies are given in step by step instruction just like the hello fresh. The only thing it uniquely provdes is getting shittier less fresh ingredients

never respond to me again.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 19, 2023

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I had Raycons. They were the only buds I had that would have settings for bass/pure/balanced sounds. I liked them. I only disliked their really wonky touch controls.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

MorningMoon posted:

I like their hustle "this will help you learn how to cook, it's all good, don't think about the economy of paying restaurant prices for a meal you have to take the time and effort to make"

The Mrs. and I will do one once every year or two when she has some coupon for it and a credit card offer or whatever and they kind of do. It’s given me some insight on techniques I wouldn’t otherwise try or even consider. I would absolutely no recommend making it a regular thing or paying full price but it’s a nice little once a while thing.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I was convinced to try hello fresh for a few weeks and it was convenient but expensive enough that I couldn’t really justify paying for it with that quality of food. When I went to look into canceling I realized I was actually still getting the starter discount and it was going to be even more expensive, which definitely made that decision even easier.

The food was mostly (mostly) fine so if you don’t have to worry about money much I guess it could be worth your time? Though you’ll still have more options and better ingredients shopping yourself.

Anyway occasionally I do see a decent game advertised by a youtuber but those are usually one-offs rather than a massive raid shadow legends scale campaigns.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I suppose it's only a matter of time until they start pushing Blue Chew.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The only morally good podcast sponsor is the ball shave guys that woolie and pat scared away

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Didn't they have an ad read for something like Fallout 76? Just some game they were making GBS threads on before or ended up making GBS threads on after it came out, something like that?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Brightman posted:

Didn't they have an ad read for something like Fallout 76? Just some game they were making GBS threads on before or ended up making GBS threads on after it came out, something like that?

Oh yes, in teh same vein they were barely holding back giggles during their AMAZON'S LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RINGS OF POWER OFFICIAL PODCAST, and the DC streaming service.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

The absolute funniest one was the exactly one week they had to shill for the Inhumans Tv show, then went to making GBS threads on it openly later.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

With how low the bar is, Genshin Impact's pretty fun as far as 'Things advertised by a lot of youtubers' go

Best thing on all fronts is probably FF14 though

Warbird
May 23, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

The only morally good podcast sponsor is the auto blow 2 guys that woolie and pat scared away

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Weren’t they shilling a service that openly sold expired food too?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think you're thinking of Imperfect Foods. Their pitch was that they sell food that isn't quite up to supermarket standards for looks but is still perfectly fine to eat.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

The only morally good podcast sponsor is the ball shave guys that woolie and pat scared away
Do you think they really got scared off? I feel like I saw ads from other people and leaning into sillyness seemed like a common thread for those ad reads.

RareAcumen posted:

The real move is to just get the recipe cards and follow them and do the shopping yourself

Having pre-portioned amounts seems like it can be nice. Like, there's a few recipes (like, not from hello fresh) that I've done that call for X or Y but then I can't really buy X or Y in amount I need. Like celery. I have a bolognese recipe that needs celery, but I can only seem to get celery in big bundles and I don't really love the stuff on it's own or have other uses for it I like.

Or recipes that just call for like a dozen different spices and sauces you might not find other uses for so your pantry just ends up cluttered.

That said I assume Hello Fresh/Blapron probably a nightmare in terms of there being tons of packaging for all the stuff.

RareAcumen posted:

With how low the bar is, Genshin Impact's pretty fun as far as 'Things advertised by a lot of youtubers' go
It does seem like it has unfortunate gatcha/mtx taint though, but you're probably right that given a low bar it's probably a little better then stuff like Raid Shadow Legends

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Dabir posted:

I think you're thinking of Imperfect Foods. Their pitch was that they sell food that isn't quite up to supermarket standards for looks but is still perfectly fine to eat.

I want to say I saw something about how that one is bad too as those are usually sent off to discount stores and food pantries and so on.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Warbird posted:

I want to say I saw something about how that one is bad too as those are usually sent off to discount stores and food pantries and so on.

Maybe canned goods, but no most of it is straight up thrown away.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Warbird posted:

And I don't even think that is necessarily bad either. If it's at a reduced cost then it has a market/target for some people trying to save money, and it still helps with food going to waste. I know tons and tons of food just gets thrown out and it's not like this service would consume 100% the stuff that would head towards those other efforts

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

RareAcumen posted:

At that point, why not just browse cooking YouTube channels, pick the one that annoys you the least and make recipes from there?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

It does seem like it has unfortunate gatcha/mtx taint though, but you're probably right that given a low bar it's probably a little better then stuff like Raid Shadow Legends

Yeah, the bar is 'Doesn't have NFT collaboration like that NFT MMO' so yeah. Mtx are pretty much embedded as deeply as debit card usage at this point. Especially so long as it keeps working for Fortnite.

Tupperwarez posted:

At that point, why not just browse cooking YouTube channels, pick the one that annoys you the least and make recipes from there?

If you've got 8 hours to scroll through the video looking for the part where the food is described and cooked past all the personal history of the chef then more power to you

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Boy do I have the cooking channel for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3sLWLBQplk

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dabir posted:

Boy do I have the cooking channel for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3sLWLBQplk

Mr. Sausage is pretty fun to watch.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The most important lesson in all of this is: There is No Ethical Consumption Under Capitalism

Meaning, no matter what they shill, there's gonna be something bad about it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I mean, it's more of a question of it being more or less ethical and/or sketchy then typical advertising.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ed, Edd n Eddy was one of the most accurate cartoons follow the advice, do not buy anything an American tries to sell you, it's all a scam

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
https://twitter.com/gematsu/status/1615736049413787648

Expect some Dokapon in Woolie's future

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Well probably not since it's a remake of the first one they played so there might not be much point. Unless he uses the new online multiplayer feature to organize something new but I don't think that's something woolie would do, or at least not for the story mode (which might not even be online for all we know).

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Rotating guests for maximum fuckery. What kind of shenanigans can someone pull when they know they're not gonna get any blowback from it?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Pat's been pointing at the Wrestlemania sign ever since this thing got leaked by a ratings board, so there's at least that to mix it up.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I agree but I don't think Woolie would be willing to bother with it more than once or twice unless they've changed more than it seems. At the very least the scheduling would probably be annoying.

Regardless this release probably means others will LP the game, so that might be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
at least this gives me an opportunity to actually buy and try the game