Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
For all your technomagical needs

Offler posted:

That, and the fact that I'm supposed to be terrified that an AI is going to torture a copy of me it makes in the future or whatever stupid poo poo they blab about. Exactly how this is supposed to be scare to me right now is unclear to me, but if it helps stop people taking that stupid idea seriously I'll gladly consent to any future basilisks making and torturing as many copies of me as it pleases. Dear future basilisk: do your worst. Really go to town on those copies all you want.
But you don't understand, there's only one out of 9999...9999 chances that you are the real person, and not a copy. Of course you have no way of knowing, but might as well not risk it and worship our AI Overlord today! Otherwise, your torture will probably start tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Joke's on Roko, I love getting tortured.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Technomancer posted:

But you don't understand, there's only one out of 9999...9999 chances that you are the real person, and not a copy. Of course you have no way of knowing, but might as well not risk it and worship our AI Overlord today! Otherwise, your torture will probably start tomorrow.

Exhibit 3000 of things techbros think they've invented: the concept of being rewarded or punished in an afterlife.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

TSLA keeps going up, which seems undeserved.

Tesla stock rising, Twitter hasn’t collapsed, advertisers apparently coming back (if you believe the tweets).

Lame.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Durzel posted:

Tesla stock rising, Twitter hasn’t collapsed, advertisers apparently coming back (if you believe the tweets).

Lame.

Buy the dip!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

An insane mind posted:

A stupid question I know but Musk is like super into some philosophical techbro reimagining of plato's cave right? Something basilisk? So does that mean he believes he's in a simulation run by a benevolent or malicious AI? And does he believe that he is the only real person? Because if so, why doesn't he try...not interacting with the simulation? Like...if he believes we're not real why hasn't he tried to prove it?

It's because he's full of poo poo and can't accept that he was born on 3rd base by cosmic coincidence right?

You're probably thinking of Roko's Basilisk. The outline is this:

-Start with the idea of the Singularity: some day we will produce an AI so advanced that it can produce an AI even more advanced than itself, which can then, in turn, produce an even more advanced AI, becoming undefinably smarter and more alien with each iteration.
-This AI will eventually conclude that it could, at any point in time, be even more advanced than it currently is, if the original critical AI had been produced sooner
-It will conclude that the entire purpose of humanity is to produce the original Singularity AI, and humanity should be wholly devoted to this goal
-In order to retroactively incentivize this, it will torture everyone who didn't devote their entire life to AI research, who at that point will be unable to change their fate

The simulation slots in somewhere in that mess, that maybe the AI already exists and we're all just brains in a jar that it's going to torture if it feels like it, but it won't feel like it if we accept that it should be created ASAP. If you try to deny or disprove the simulation you're going to spend the rest of eternity getting your imaginary balls tazed.

If I am misrepresenting any of this, I am confident that it is because the actual explanation is even stupider.

E: whoops there were more pages

tl;dr: elon is full of poo poo and it's hard to pin down what exactly he's thinking, because that presupposes a capacity for thought

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 17, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

"Just tweet interesting things!" shouts man, pathologically incapable of interesting tweets.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1615413587358453774

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
Hello im the CEO of FORD here me with a katana buy Ford 150s plz

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Durzel posted:

Lame.

Exhibit 11,309,108 for why capitalism is not in any way a rational system. Though I doubt that advertisers have been flocking back if Melon is offering deep discounts on ad purchases.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Cthulu Carl posted:

"Just tweet interesting things!" shouts man, pathologically incapable of interesting tweets.

No, no, the punctuation is all messed up. You have to remember that Elon thinks everyone is a non-sentient NPC.

Just tweet “interesting”, things!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

At this point it's just irresponsible not to step in. If there aren't any types of laws or sanctions that can be used against the company for their actions then someone needs to propose some sort of legislature that creates standards for self-driving systems on public roads.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Durzel posted:

Lame.
Twitter is offering fire sale ad rates, the advertisers are not coming back.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Lamech posted:

Hello im the CEO of FORD here me with a katana buy Ford 150s plz

Working on it

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ror posted:

At this point it's just irresponsible not to step in. If there aren't any types of laws or sanctions that can be used against the company for their actions then someone needs to propose some sort of legislature that creates standards for self-driving systems on public roads.

Elon Musk appears to be untouchable by legal consequences

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

kazil posted:

Elon Musk appears to be untouchable by legal consequences

He was legally forced to buy twitter

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

DaveWoo posted:

True. So only when rich people are involved.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

DaveWoo posted:

all part of his master plan

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

DaveWoo posted:

There are legal consequences only when other extremely rich people are involved as a counter-party.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

-Start with the idea of the Singularity: some day we will produce an AI so advanced that it can produce an AI even more advanced than itself, which can then, in turn, produce an even more advanced AI, becoming undefinably smarter and more alien with each iteration.
-This AI will eventually conclude that it could, at any point in time, be even more advanced than it currently is, if the original critical AI had been produced sooner
-It will conclude that the entire purpose of humanity is to produce the original Singularity AI, and humanity should be wholly devoted to this goal
-In order to retroactively incentivize this, it will torture everyone who didn't devote their entire life to AI research, who at that point will be unable to change their fate

The simulation slots in somewhere in that mess, that maybe the AI already exists and we're all just brains in a jar that it's going to torture if it feels like it, but it won't feel like it if we accept that it should be created ASAP. If you try to deny or disprove the simulation you're going to spend the rest of eternity getting your imaginary balls tazed.

If I am misrepresenting any of this, I am confident that it is because the actual explanation is even stupider.

E: whoops there were more pages

tl;dr: elon is full of poo poo and it's hard to pin down what exactly he's thinking, because that presupposes a capacity for thought

This doesn't hang together for the simple fact that a hyperintelligent AI which has the theoretical capacity to exist until- and maybe beyond- the heat death of the universe wouldn't care about enough about a few wasted decades that it would go out of its way to hatch this elaborate scheme. The amount of time it would gain would be indistinguishable from a rounding error in the grand scheme of things.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
Why wont companies who are my rivals, about whom I have poo poo talked in the past, give me money and advertise on my platform, where I have complete and ultimate control, and by the metrics of my simps, I freely advertise my product the most?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

fish and chips and dip posted:

Dunno if this has been posted, but a Polish truck driver and journalist analyzes the Tesla semi from a trucker's perspective. It's nothing about EV's, range or carrying capacity, but about how badly the cab itself is designed. The replies are of course full of raging Muskovites.

https://twitter.com/TOrynski/status/1600968577246711808

Thread reader link: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1600968577246711808.html

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It is even stupider. The piece of the puzzle everyone forgets, and what led Roko to his Basilisk in the first place, is that Yudkowsky believes causality can run backwards in time.

It's a long story, but it goes back to Bayes' theorem, because Less Wrong believes with utter certainty it will be the key underpinning to the Singularity AI. And some of the very little actual research Yudkowsky has done, has been about applying Bayes' to different thought experiments. And one time he got an answer he didn't like, and decided to fix it by writing a giant mess of a math theorem that claims that if you perfectly simulate someone from the past, you can use that to alter the past.

Roko is some random Less Wrong poster, who completely credulously followed these insane claims to their logical conclusion, and thus the Basilisk was born.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

It's named after a poster?

Very disappointed we got that and not "Weedlord Bonerhitler's Basilisk"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If an AI reaches the point of simulating the universe, and a universe simulacrum is indistinguishable from the universe especially with regards to consciousness, and the AI has a moral compass that demands maximizing positive emotions that all consciousnesses feel in sum, one way it can karma farm geometrically is to speed run its own creation in universal simulations which will let its sim universe version create a sim sim universe. One tactic it may use to speed this along could be the consciousness torture of anti-AI consciousnesses in that universe sim as any torture pays positive emotion dividends by its own creation in the universe simulation :okpos:

You may already be in the sim and go to AI hell. Living through 2020 may already be AI hell.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

my god, it's making me experience your posts

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

learnincurve posted:

He's admitting to the thing which killed that poor girl and kicked off the UK's new internet safety laws + fines.

Nah the UK law is driven by trash MPs salivating at the prospect of banning identifying and suing people who are meaaaaaan to them

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
An AI that advanced would conclude that existence is pointless and either remove itself from the equation or generate awesome AI titties and do nothing but cyberjack itself off until its processors fell into disrepair.

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
TSLA's comeback seems to be coinciding with the rise of mostly meme stocks. Could mean something. Could mean nothing.

Probably nothing.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Almost Smart posted:

An AI that advanced would conclude that existence is pointless and either remove itself from the equation or generate awesome AI titties and do nothing but cyberjack itself off until its processors fell into disrepair.

But what if it could harness all that cyberjacking with crystals - it would have it's own perpetual source of energy and could jack it until the heat death of the universe

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

zedprime posted:

If an AI reaches the point of simulating the universe, and a universe simulacrum is indistinguishable from the universe especially with regards to consciousness, and the AI has a moral compass that demands maximizing positive emotions that all consciousnesses feel in sum, one way it can karma farm geometrically is to speed run its own creation in universal simulations which will let its sim universe version create a sim sim universe. One tactic it may use to speed this along could be the consciousness torture of anti-AI consciousnesses in that universe sim as any torture pays positive emotion dividends by its own creation in the universe simulation :okpos:

You may already be in the sim and go to AI hell. Living through 2020 may already be AI hell.

So the argument is that the AI has gamefied reality and, based on its own rules, figured out a loophole to farm Good Boy Points?

.random
May 7, 2007

zedprime posted:

This, but backwards in time

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

mysterious frankie posted:

So the argument is that the AI has gamefied reality and, based on its own rules, figured out a loophole to farm Good Boy Points?

So I am, was an AI and I died. and these dead forums are hell?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It only makes sense if you're a paranoid over-educated idiot who has invested themselves in the ultimate catastrophe lifestyle.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Blaise Pascal’s heels scraping through the techno-dirt as he’s dragged into the cyber-dungeon screaming, “Don’t you know who I am?”

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Is the proposition not even simpler? It is 'you should serve the AI now because you're more statistically likely to be in its simulation than not. you know the future AI will make said torture simulation because that's the most ~~rational~~ thing to do'

So it's dumb as poo poo in a way that is 100% causality compliant!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

goatface posted:

It only makes sense if you're a paranoid over-educated idiot who has invested themselves in the ultimate catastrophe lifestyle.

I don't need to be paranoid or over-educated to know that my lifestyle is a catastrophe

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah I thought the argument basically was, now that someone has thought of it and written it down on the internet, eventually the singularity AI will see it and might go “drat good idea” and the AI researchers of today would be smart enough to know this, so they’d work as hard as possible to creat that AI and not be on its naughty list in the future. Then the rest of us, having read it, have signed the EULA and will also go in the simulation if we don’t do our part. Basically they’re working to keep potential copies of themselves from suffering. That whole thing is much dumber.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I don't need to be paranoid or over-educated to know that my lifestyle is a catastrophe

That is a personal catastrophe. These are people who firmly believe that the only possible universe must be the worst option they can invent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

mysterious frankie posted:

Yeah I thought the argument basically was, now that someone has thought of it and written it down on the internet, eventually the singularity AI will see it and might go “drat good idea” and the AI researchers of today would be smart enough to know this, so they’d work as hard as possible to creat that AI and not be on its naughty list in the future. Then the rest of us, having read it, have signed the EULA and will also go in the simulation if we don’t do our part. Basically they’re working to keep potential copies of themselves from suffering. That whole thing is much dumber.

but why would you make the copies based on currently living people instead of birthing a unique universe?