Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah glad that worked out for him, the initial thread was bizarre. CPS takes away your kid and your first action is to post a thread on Something Awful rather than more pressing concerns. I think he lived in a trailer in one of the Dakotas and tried to frame the cops & CPS as unreasonable bullies for the state of the house and got some goon sympathy until he posted photos after “cleaning up” and it was a disgusting mess with a cat hidden in every photo. I think it also emerged that he was impoverished & yet spent student loan money on a gaming rig and then a lot of time gaming rather than having his place not be a terrible place for a kid to live.

Does sound like he got it together, here’s the thread link which unfortunately has a lot of unavailable photos: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453028

Man that was an odd thread, CPS took his kid & he has a wife and baby and yet he’s constantly updating his thread on a comedy forum to try to explain himself to goons.

I have a vague visual memory of the images and yeah, they were horrible and it was really sad. Glad that goon intervention actually worked for once.

Also, before we get back on track, I swear I have a memory of a thread of a goon who had a random hole in his bedroom through which he would stick his dick through and just piss into rather than going to the restroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

my kinda ape posted:

I've gone into E/N maybe 10 times since I registered in 2008 and by incredible chance I happened to randomly stumble on that CPS thread in the first few pages and the best part was he was spending $2300 on a gaming PC with a $600 graphics card in 2011 while living in a house where there were spots they wouldn't walk on because the floor was so rotted that there was a danger you might fall through :laffo:
It was like a quarter of what he claimed to make in a year.

Oh for sure. I’m re-reading, it’s more absurd that I remembered. CPS took both his 5 year old and 9 month old and understandably his wife was a bit stressed, and yet he was still posting photos of his hovel in hopes this would unlock the cheat code for someone to tell him the perfect way to sue CPS for lots of money. Also thought it was acceptable parenting to sleep until 10am on a Sunday until your child wakes you up to request food, as he was up so late for mysterious reasons (Minecraft rig.)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Just Another Lurker posted:

Ditto. :stonk:

Never in the fleet during my EVE time there but that really sucks.

the thing that actually got mittani to "resign" was the fact that it came out that he had been defending someone he knew was a pedo for over 10 years, to keep that person in the alliance for ~reasons~

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Fragrag posted:

I have a vague visual memory of the images and yeah, they were horrible and it was really sad. Glad that goon intervention actually worked for once.

Also, before we get back on track, I swear I have a memory of a thread of a goon who had a random hole in his bedroom through which he would stick his dick through and just piss into rather than going to the restroom

Oh some of the images later in the thread still work: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453028&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

my kinda ape posted:

I've gone into E/N maybe 10 times since I registered in 2008 and by incredible chance I happened to randomly stumble on that CPS thread in the first few pages and the best part was he was spending $2300 on a gaming PC with a $600 graphics card in 2011 while living in a house where there were spots they wouldn't walk on because the floor was so rotted that there was a danger you might fall through :laffo:
It was like a quarter of what he claimed to make in a year.

one of the few times I've clicked on E/N I saw someone who was one of the loudest and most obnoxious people who does nothing but screech at people about politics complaining about being 35 and having never kissed anyone

that's my e/n story

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Ukraine news has been slow. Thread is way off topic. I don’t feel strongly about idiot kinging this back on rails. If anyone participating in the thread is frustrated by the derail, speak up and we’ll move the conversation elsewhere.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

We're generally pretty good at coming back in topic when news drops, so I'd say carry on

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Bringing this back on topic, a whole poo poo ton of Wagners in Soledar got blasted by artillery and lost at least a company's worth of men because they were all in a single file line nuts to butts in a shoulder height trench with no zig-zagging and the whole company was wiped out with 3 shells. If this is indicative of the average mobik unit post-mobilization then this is some truly :stare: level of casualty acceptance and given tomorrow is likely going to be the announcement of another mobik wave with Mobilization 2: Mobik Boogaloo, Russia might seriously damage its demographics more than they already are. They're already in population decline year over year. Wiping out a few % of your younger men isn't going to help that at all.

Should be noted that the reason they're in this population demographic Malthusian problem in the first place is because they lost 25 million people in WW2 and that was enough to seriously stunt their population growth for the next ~55 years and to an extent are still feeling it today.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 17, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

God that's grim

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Bringing this back on topic, a whole poo poo ton of Wagners in Soledar got blasted by artillery and lost at least a company's worth of men because they were all in a single file line nuts to butts in a shoulder height trench with no zig-zagging and the whole company was wiped out with 3 shells. If this is indicative of the average mobik unit post-mobilization then this is some truly :stare: level of casualty acceptance

I sure have been seeing a lot of stories lately that make me think "they're not doing human wave attacks, they're just having a lot of casualties from poor training and equipment" isn't as true as it might have been. Last week I saw a drone video of a crater-ridden plain with zero cover littered with over 60 bodies, all tightly grouped.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 17, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hekk posted:

Ukraine news has been slow. Thread is way off topic. I don’t feel strongly about idiot kinging this back on rails. If anyone participating in the thread is frustrated by the derail, speak up and we’ll move the conversation elsewhere.

I might wander off a bit but the several Ukraine threads here on SA are my main source regarding the war (even get to hear stuff before mainstream news :confused: ).

--------------------------------

HonorableTB posted:

Bringing this back on topic, a whole poo poo ton of Wagners in Soledar got blasted by artillery and lost at least a company's worth of men because they were all in a single file line nuts to butts in a shoulder height trench with no zig-zagging and the whole company was wiped out with 3 shells. If this is indicative of the average mobik unit post-mobilization then this is some truly :stare: level of casualty acceptance

A lot of the trench was about 1m in depth by the looks of things, no training or laziness, it was all just so bad.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

I sure have been seeing a lot of stories lately that make me think "they're not doing human wave attacks, they're just having a lot of casualties from poor training and equipment" isn't as true as it might have been. Last week I saw a drone video of a crater-ridden plain with zero cover it littered with over 60 bodies, all tightly grouped.

Those videos have become extremely normal on telegram - I monitor a lot of Z and UKR channels for reporting and videos of mobiks getting annihilated in groups like that is more commonplace than any other kind of combat footage lately except for drone grenade drops. They're zerg rushing mobiks into prepared defensive lines and they just melt away

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm kind of enjoying the karmic symmetry of this thread organically turning into PYF forums sagas for a while since the nominal PYF sagas thread is temporarily the replacement for QCS

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah it's a nice break before the inevitable storm

on a topical note: Zaluzhny met with Milley for the first time

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/01/17/milley-zaluzhny-poland-ukraine-russia/

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

HonorableTB posted:

Bringing this back on topic, a whole poo poo ton of Wagners in Soledar got blasted by artillery and lost at least a company's worth of men because they were all in a single file line nuts to butts in a shoulder height trench with no zig-zagging and the whole company was wiped out with 3 shells. If this is indicative of the average mobik unit post-mobilization then this is some truly :stare: level of casualty acceptance and given tomorrow is likely going to be the announcement of another mobik wave with Mobilization 2: Mobik Boogaloo, Russia might seriously damage its demographics more than they already are. They're already in population decline year over year. Wiping out a few % of your younger men isn't going to help that at all.

Should be noted that the reason they're in this population demographic Malthusian problem in the first place is because they lost 25 million people in WW2 and that was enough to seriously stunt their population growth for the next ~55 years and to an extent are still feeling it today.

The effect of demographics on Russian society are being turbo charged above and beyond just the numbers. Brain drain is a real thing and that poo poo went to ludicrous speed when this all kicked off.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

bird food bathtub posted:

The effect of demographics on Russian society are being turbo charged above and beyond just the numbers. Brain drain is a real thing and that poo poo went to ludicrous speed when this all kicked off.

Between war dead and those that fled abroad and are unlikely to return after the mobilization was announced, I wonder what the overall cost in missing males will be for Russian society?

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
If you agree with Peter Zeihan, Russian demographics were already doomed to start with and were a likely cause of the war to begin with. If his assessments are true, Russia/Putin have no other options other than to win this war. With the probable (still have not read anything from Russian sources) second mobilization Russia could have something towards a million men on the frontlines come spring/early summer for an offensive, how they will equip/feed/train them is another thing. But it makes sense with NATOs current seeming urgency to equip Ukraine with more armor/patriots which will come into play around that time as well.

In regards to mobiks in shallow trenches, welcome to digging during the winter. Even if the ground is not totally frozen, it has been cold enough around there to make it difficult.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

I sure have been seeing a lot of stories lately that make me think "they're not doing human wave attacks, they're just having a lot of casualties from poor training and equipment" isn't as true as it might have been. Last week I saw a drone video of a crater-ridden plain with zero cover littered with over 60 bodies, all tightly grouped.

What are human wave attacks if not a way of compensating for a lack of trained personnel and equipment.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Have they implemented anything similar to the Berlin Wall to keep their young and well educated from leaving? I guess aside from the draft?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Pentagon Press Sec did a press conference, links below, I've cut out everything that is not about Ukraine, as this is a general press conference covering topics beyond the scope of Ukraine. Not much today.

Link:
https://www.defense.gov/News/Transc...n-camera-press/

Highlights:
-US Patriot training ongoing. Plan is for one tranche of training one battery-ish worth of people. The US is not conducting training in support of the German pledge of their own Patriot Battery. Patriot training will last for months. I cut out a lot of questions about doing press coverage/video of it, but the press wants to go see it and the DOD is being a bit noncommittal.
-No details on the Russian missile strike on an apartment building in Dnipro.
-Maybe more details after the next contact group meeting (multiple countries getting together to discuss collective pledges, way ahead for support to Ukraine, etc)

quote:

BRIGADIER GENERAL PAT RYDER: Good afternoon, everyone.

All right, just a few things, and we'll get to your questions.

Tomorrow Secretary Austin will depart for Germany, where he and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs, General Milley, will host and convene another session of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group at Ramstein Airbase. And as I highlighted earlier, the contact group has been instrumental in identifying, synchronizing and ensuring delivery of the military capabilities the Ukrainians need to defend their homeland against Russian aggression. The secretary and the chairman look forward to meeting with defense leaders from the approximately 50 nations that comprise this important group dedicated to Ukraine self-defense. Prior to his arrival at Ramstein, Secretary Austin will travel to Berlin to meet with the incoming German minister of defense, Boris Pistorius.

Q: Hi, Pat. I want to ask about the Ukrainians getting trained at Fort Sill. Have all the Ukrainians arrived? Has training begun?

And just putting in a request for all of our media organizations, can we get some access, some video, to be able to show what's happening there?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, thanks, Tara. On the latter point, we are certainly aware of the requests for media access and are in communication with the Army on that front. So we'll keep you updated.

Training has begun. As we've talked about before, that training will last for several months and train upwards of 90 to 100 Ukrainians on use of the Patriot missile system. And so those troops have arrived at Fort Sill and have begun their training. Thank you.

Q: Thanks. AP is reporting that the prime minister of the Netherlands has said that they are going to send a Patriot missile defense system to Ukraine. He's here in Washington. Can the Pentagon confirm that that's happening?

And then I have one other follow-up?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, I cannot. I'd have to refer you to the Netherlands to talk about that.

Q: Just back to the Patriot training, I'm wondering, since there will be at least one more Patriot battery coming from Germany, is there going to be another tranche of 90 to 100 Ukrainian forces training at Fort Sill? Is that going to be part of another tranche in a couple months once this is finished, or are there going to be more forces coming to train at the same time?

GEN. RYDER: Sure. So as of today, this is the only tranche, but of course, we'll continue to keep that dialogue open. And certainly, Fort Sill has the capability and the capacity to train many different nations, obviously, on Patriots, so that's something that we'll continue to take into account. But as of right now, this is the group that's coming through to train on the U.S. Patriot that we're providing.

Q: So if I could follow up then, how is that going to work when there are potentially two Patriots in Ukraine, but only 100 guys that can operate --?

GEN. RYDER: So you're talking about the German-provided Patriots.

Q: Yes.

GEN. RYDER: So really, the Germans, that's a question for them in terms of what their game plan is in terms of training on that system. Again, we will stay open in terms of talking with the Germans and others on how we can best provide support and training to the Ukrainians. But your question was whether or not there will be another group coming in through Fort Sill, and I'm telling you right now, I'm not aware at this time of another group coming through.

Q: Okay, thank you.

GEN. RYDER: Now, let me do one more from the phone here. I'll come back in the room. JJ Green?

Q: Thank you, General, for taking this question. A number of sources and people that are observing Russia, Moscow, say that it appears as though Moscow is taking several defensive steps in and around the city. And there have been a number of think tanks and Western intelligence agencies talking for months about Russia possibly making this a wider war or a more conventional conflict. What has the Pentagon seen and noted, in terms of Russia's posture right now?

GEN. RYDER: Thanks, JJ. And just to clarify, around which city did you say?

Q: Moscow.

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, I don't have any comments to provide in terms of Russian internal defense around Moscow. I think, as we look at the battlefield in Ukraine, we've seen, for the most part, Russia essentially dig in along the forward line of troops, with the exception of course being in the vicinity of Bakhmut and Soledar of course.

I have seen press reports talking about Russian efforts to strengthen some of their air defenses, based on mysterious explosions that happened at air bases in their country, but I'm not going to have anything to provide on that. Thank you.

All right, let me go back to the room. Tom, and then we'll go to Nancy.

Q: Thanks, General. What information do you all have, if any, on the missile that struck over the weekend in Ukraine that killed 40 people? There have been some reports that it was a hypersonic missile. Can you shed any light on that please? Thanks.

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, so I don't have any detailed reporting on the specifics, other than to say again we do know that Russia launched a very heavy salvo of missiles from aircraft, from naval vessels, and from land against Ukrainian civilian infrastructure and civilian targets over the weekend.

I think, again, it just highlights the nature of this conflict and the lack of civility on the part of Russian forces when it comes to targeting civilians.

Q: Thanks. General, the former U.S. Army Europe Commander Ben Hodges tweeted recently in that the U.S. should now be providing Ukraine with ATACMS, Gray Eagles, small diameter bombs, to deny Russia the use of logistics hubs in Crimea and in Russia and Belarus.

The U.S. recently crossed a threshold in sending armored vehicles to help Ukraine take back territory. What's the Defense Secretary's view now on sending precision weapons with ranges of as much as 300 kilometers?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, well, I think Secretary Austin's been very clear that we continue to maintain an active and ongoing dialogue with our Ukrainian partners, with the international community, on what are Ukraine's most urgent needs when it comes to the battlefield and the current situation there.

And so going into, for example, the contact group this week, he'll have the opportunity to have those discussions with his Ukrainian counterpart and with our other allies and partners around the table to do exactly that -- what are the kinds of things that Ukraine needs to be able to defend themselves and also take back their sovereign territory?

So as we have new announcements to make, we'll certainly be sure to pass those along.

Q: Has there been any movement on that conversation or has it been largely in the same place as it's been --

GEN. RYDER: Well, I think that's a matter of perspective, right? So, I mean if you look at this campaign in its totality, if you would ask that question one month into the campaign -- so it's relative, right? We're going to continue to adapt and evolve and tailor that assistance based on the situation on the ground and based on the capabilities that we can get there to them quickly. So thank you.

Tara?

Q: Just a follow-up on the Patriots. How much of the training will be focused on maintenance? And will there be any external support provided, like additional maintenance support provided by the U.S., additional spares, or are the Ukrainians going to be responsible for keeping the system operational on the ground?

GEN. RYDER: So in terms of the maintenance, I'd refer you to the Army for more granular level of detail. I would tell you that maintenance will be an aspect -- operations and maintenance will be an aspect of the training.

And in terms of maintenance writ large, when it comes to the capabilities that we are providing on the battlefield, one of the -- one of the techniques that we've used, as you know, is essentially tele-maintenance, right, so remote maintenance capabilities.

So that will be something that we will continue to provide to the Ukrainians, not only on the Patriot system but on a variety of systems as they are employed in the battlefield. Thanks very much.

Q: In your assessment -- thank you. In your assessment, how do the British tanks -- what impact will British tanks have on the ground in Ukraine?

GEN. RYDER: Well, broadly speaking -- and again, I'll allow the UK to speak for itself, in terms of the capabilities that it may or may not provide. Broadly speaking, again, as an international community, any type of capability that we're able to provide to Ukraine to assist them in their efforts to defend their territory and be prepared to take back territory I think is a good thing.

Certainly, as we've talked about before, having armored-type of capabilities gives them another capability to employ on the ground in order to change the equation on the battlefield, especially as we've seen some of those lines become static.

But again, at the end of the day, it's up to Ukraine on how best to employ those capabilities. The only other thing I'd say on that is the capabilities they've been provided, they've employed to great effect. Thank you.

Q: And if I may, now that other allies are sending or considering sending tanks to Ukraine, how does this change the U.S. position on sending American tanks to Ukraine?

GEN. RYDER: So again, I don't have anything to announce. I think we've been very clear, when we do have something to announce, we'll be providing the Bradley Fighting Vehicle, as you know, which again is an armored capability. And so, you know, when and if we have something new to announce, we will.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Oleksiy Arestovych just resigned as presidential adviser to Zelensky, apparently because of some remarks he made about the apartment block that was just demolished in Dnipro. I think he may have suggested that the Russian cruise missile was clipped by Ukrainian air defense which caused it to slam into the building.

Not sure if he's going to carry on with his daily updates. I found them to be pretty informative, although back when I had a twitter account I did see several Ukrainians on there say that he's a major rear end in a top hat.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Not sure if he's going to carry on with his daily updates. I found them to be pretty informative, although back when I had a twitter account I did see several Ukrainians on there say that he's a major rear end in a top hat.

a major rear end in a top hat that deflects Russian cruise missile casualties on Ukrainian defenses, what are the odds

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Ironically it's more or less a messaging friendly fire thing. Dude has been one of the central voices of Ukrainian messaging since day 1 and has been pretty skillful at it as far as I can tell. In this case he mentioned that the missile that hit the building in Dnipro had been intercepted (which afaik actually was true?) but the entire messaging apparatus had spun up around using it as an example of Russian terrorism targeted at civilians (which tbf is true whether they intentionally blew up an apartment building or unintentionally blew up an apartment building), but it caused an absolute firestorm in pro-Ukraine social media as this was viewed as a tragic but golden opportunity to amplify the attack for some extremely timely sympathy ahead of some very important meetings happening wrt future support for Ukraine.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Oleksiy Arestovych just resigned as presidential adviser to Zelensky, apparently because of some remarks he made about the apartment block that was just demolished in Dnipro. I think he may have suggested that the Russian cruise missile was clipped by Ukrainian air defense which caused it to slam into the building.

accepted resignation or just offered it? I saw that he'd offered to resign earlier

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 18, 2023

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just watched a video of a Ukrainian drone picking up an encrypted russian radio. Lol.

I'll link instead of embed, because the next video in the aggregate is russians collecting artillery to the face.

https://youtu.be/kCqViNSuG5I

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Have they implemented anything similar to the Berlin Wall to keep their young and well educated from leaving? I guess aside from the draft?

From the D&D thread, emigration in general is just plain difficult at this point both due to border checks and more importantly due to other nations being currently reluctant to take Russian refugees, especially border countries concerned that Russian will use the existence of those refugees as justification for future invasion. The brain drain is happening anyways, and as far as I know the Russian government has been belatedly trying to use the carrot instead of the stick to keep programmers from leaving - exemption from mobilization, economic benefits, etc. Don't think it's been terribly successful but hey.

Edit: They've also tried using advertisements to shame those who are leaving. I leave it to you to judge how successful that might be.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 18, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Tomn posted:

From the D&D thread, emigration in general is just plain difficult at this point both due to border checks and more importantly due to other nations being currently reluctant to take Russian refugees, especially border countries concerned that Russian will use the existence of those refugees as justification for future invasion. The brain drain is happening anyways, and as far as I know the Russian government has been belatedly trying to use the carrot instead of the stick to keep programmers from leaving - exemption from mobilization, economic benefits, etc. Don't think it's been terribly successful but hey.

Edit: They've also tried using advertisements to shame those who are leaving. I leave it to you to judge how successful that might be.

Ah interesting thanks for info, I had heard of there being a long history of people not being allowed to leave including the Refuseniks, didn’t know that was still an issue.

Is anyone following the German defense minister being replaced? Sounds like the previous person wasn’t really a wartime leader so hopefully will be an improvement.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Ah interesting thanks for info, I had heard of there being a long history of people not being allowed to leave including the Refuseniks, didn’t know that was still an issue.

Is anyone following the German defense minister being replaced? Sounds like the previous person wasn’t really a wartime leader so hopefully will be an improvement.

From my understanding the replacement is even less so a wartime leader because the Ministry of Defense is a dumping pool without as much power as you'd expect. People get sent there to be set up for blame for Scholtz's decisions.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Itchy_Grundle posted:

I just mixed up the videos, it was however the funniest thing that DPPH created.

I think they were the ones that somehow actually summoned a porn star to register an account, whereupon GBS and FYAD tore her to pieces in pretty short order.

Since the thread got back on track, I will too; if Russia is determined to drown the Ukrainian front line in corpses, and it actually works, do they have the maneuver assets to actually follow up and exploit it? Or are we looking at the Somme v2.0?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GD_American posted:

I think they were the ones that somehow actually summoned a porn star to register an account, whereupon GBS and FYAD tore her to pieces in pretty short order.

Since the thread got back on track, I will too; if Russia is determined to drown the Ukrainian front line in corpses, and it actually works, do they have the maneuver assets to actually follow up and exploit it? Or are we looking at the Somme v2.0?

They're dragging T-55s out of storage, so probably not. They lack armored cavalry for screening operations, so even if they manage to break through, it will probably result in a pocket that Ukraine can use to envelop them just like they did around Kyiv. Except this time they won't even have armored vehicles to protect themselves from Ukraine's newly-supplied western artillery. I'm also not sure how they would supply an extended push, particularly with HIMARS targeting every rear-echelon unit. Right now the front lines are close enough to Russia/pre-2022 occupied territory that logistics isn't as much of an issue.

psydude fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 18, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Curiously there've been far, far fewer russian vehicles filmed in use recently (or even shown not in use) and while that appears to be mostly an adaptation to Ukraine firing PGMs at every tank they see within range, I do wonder to what extent the attrition is taking its toll. I don't believe there's any sign that they're so short on vehicles that they're incapable of maneuver. They do seem to be considerably lower on their more modern vehicles though

mostly I think they're just storing everything inside or under significant cover if at all possible, eg

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1615322533233819649 (some graphic stuff on that timeline, scroll with care, nothing graphic in that clip though)

presumably much of the recent vehicle call up is for new units that they're working to equip, too.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1615636653183221761

Al Jazeera’s Natacha Butler reporting from Kyiv posted:

“This is Ukraine’s interior minister, one of the highest posts in the country; his deputy,” Butler said.

“These are key figures in Ukraine’s government at a time when the government is at war with Russia, so this will be a huge blow to the country no doubt. You can only imagine some of the conversations happening right now, in Kyiv in those government circles as to what’s going to happen next.”
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1615647292840624129

Sheeeees.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Helicopters, man. Helicopters.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1615322533233819649 (some graphic stuff on that timeline, scroll with care, nothing graphic in that clip though)

presumably much of the recent vehicle call up is for new units that they're working to equip, too.

It's hard to tell from the clip, but that looks like maybe a company's worth of tanks in what seems to be an indoor (unheated) motor pool.

Does anyone know what's up with the sheet metal shroud on the MG towards the end of the clip? Is that something improvised?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Itchy_Grundle posted:

It's hard to tell from the clip, but that looks like maybe a company's worth of tanks in what seems to be an indoor (unheated) motor pool.

Does anyone know what's up with the sheet metal shroud on the MG towards the end of the clip? Is that something improvised?

I can't say whether it's improvised or not, but that looks like a brush guard.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Stultus Maximus posted:

Helicopters, man. Helicopters.

you could probably get me to ride once. Probably have to pay me to ride twice

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There's a good chance once is all you're going to be able to handle

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Once is enough, really. I mean, in Afghanistan it was preferable to driving along at 25 mph between FOBs in a Convoy, but I'm in no hurry to get back inside of one.

e: My first flight in-country was in an old HH-3 operated by a civilian contract crew. On the way down, oil or some other lubricant started leaking from the engine into the passenger area. I flagged down the crew chief to point it out, and his reply (yelled over the noise, of course) was: "As long as it keeps dripping, we're fine!"

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 18, 2023

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Alan Smithee posted:

I’ve been paid to ride in several but any time I could choose I went with small boat.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1615613082742423553

not sure how germans will feel about using an english band for this but otherwise hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Alan Smithee posted:

My first deployment involved every aircraft I stepped foot on getting shot at in some way/shape/form. Every single one. Even the C-130 into Anaconda at the very beginning.

Technically, there was one helicopter I didn't get shot at, but I immediately stepped off it since they cancelled the flight. And the helicopter was deadlined. I like to think that is the trip where I avoided death.