Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

deep dish peat moss posted:

One of the colors in this map represents states where you MIGHT have legal protections against being fired for getting robbed.

hint: it's gray :ssh: In many states the business can even sue the fired employee for the amount that was stolen!

Also here is a lawyer telling someone in California that they have no protections against being fired for being robbed:
https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-i-get-fired-for-being-robbed-at-gunpoint--4190424.html

When people say workers in the US have almost no rights, they're not exaggerating. If you aren't a member of a union then virtually the only protections you have as a worker are related to discrimination of protected classes, and sexual/physical harassment/assault. Even those are just things that an employer cannot state as their reason for firing/not hiring you - there's nothing stopping them from firing you anyway and claiming the reasoning was different. It's up to the fired employee in that case to prove inconclusively in court that they were fired for discriminatory/retaliatory reasons, which is nearly impossible to do even when you have the time and money to do it. Some states also have additional paid sick time requirements, but not many. (That's one of the few perks of working for SV startups - since their HQ is in California they'll have to give you paid sick time)

only 10.3% of people are in unions in the united states. When people try to unionize companies fight against it and the NLRB pretty much doesnt help when they strike bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

deep dish peat moss posted:

One of the colors in this map represents states where you MIGHT have legal protections against being fired for getting robbed.

hint: it's gray :ssh:

When people say workers in the US have almost no rights, they're not exaggerating. If you aren't a member of a union then virtually the only protections you have as a worker are related to discrimination of protected classes, and sexual/physical harassment/assault. Even those are just things that an employer cannot state as their reason for firing/not hiring you - there's nothing stopping them from firing you anyway and claiming the reasoning was different. It's up to the fired employee in that case to prove inconclusively in court that they were fired for discriminatory/retaliatory reasons, which is nearly impossible to do even when you have the time and money to do it. Some states also have additional paid sick time requirements, but not many. (That's one of the few perks of working for SV startups - since their HQ is in California they'll have to give you paid sick time)

Yes, just to give a direct anecdote, I once got federal jury duty and got put on a jury. The case was a black lady who worked for a Veteran's Affairs ("The VA") pharmacy facility. VA is a government agency so that made it federal I guess. She was sexually harassed by her boss who then punished her for not accepting his advances. She went to the HR lady filed a complaint, the HR lady told the bosses and they fired her the next day.

They would have won the case too, if it wasn't for two things: First was a big Phoenix Wright style OBJECTION level contradiction. Two witnesses were asked whether they knew about the complaint before firing. The manager lady (not the harasser, though he did testify) said they didn't know and she was basically getting fired that day for performance and this was a wacky coincidence! The HR lady told a story closer to the truth, and said they knew of the complaint that morning but decided to fire her anyway, but of course for performance reasons, nothing related to her stepping out of line!

And the second thing? Me being on the jury. I poo poo you not, I had to really work these people like toddlers in preschool, explaining that they should have some empathy. I had to read them the juror instructions where it said if a witness lies you can discard everything they said, I really had to walk them along the entire way, it was pitiful. Even when I finally got them to agree, two of them were such stubborn (and imo racist) assholes that one said to give her zero dollars, and one said to give her one dollar.

I'm more math savvy than the average Texan, so I got everyone to quickly agree to take the average figure from what we all suggested. I put my number in last, and made sure to offset the assholes so she actually got like two years pay. I saw her when I left the building and she was crying happy tears, smoking a cigarette, and she recognized me and mouthed "Thank You." It was pretty nice.

Oh and fun story, that same Dallas federal building was where that idiot shooter showed up with a tactical sword and got nobody killed but his dumb rear end self, only a few years later.

Anyway, I'll take a baconator meal and a large chocolate frosty. :911:

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 17, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/SamiScheetz/status/1616230826848489478

Eating refried beans and feeling like Marie Antoinette. C'est bourgeoisie!

naem
May 29, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

https://i.imgur.com/DTaPtWz.mp4

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

pure spite

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

No fresh meats, get hosed poors, get your protein from cans like dogs.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

And the people will keep taking this and taking this and do nothing. Imagine proposing this in France.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Tenkaris posted:

Me being on the jury. I poo poo you not, I had to really work these people like toddlers in preschool, explaining that they should have some empathy. I had to read them the juror instructions where it said if a witness lies you can discard everything they said, I really had to walk them along the entire way, it was pitiful. Even when I finally got them to agree, two of them were such stubborn (and imo racist) assholes that one said to give her zero dollars, and one said to give her one dollar.

We're due for a 12 Angry Men reboot but it needs to be called something more appropriate like 11 loving Idiots.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

https://twitter.com/tori4thepeople/status/1616385175444721665?s=46&t=rHKvulEQTsrMc32lwO8rhA

Anyone seen anything about this?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Man named Tyre Nichols, apparently.

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1616201711693008897

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1615133594300678144

https://twitter.com/Imposter_Edits/status/1615230865143107588
Spoiler'd for video containing footage of a severely injured/possibly dead man in a hospital bed.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 20, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Even though I know it's always going to be terrible, it never stops the gut punch. It never gets any easier to read about this bullshit.

:smithfrog:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

What the gently caress Google?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wait what's up with fresh meat? As terrible as it is I get their logic behind dumb poo poo like pre-cubed cheese or even non-plain beans but fresh meat? I recently got pork shoulder on sale for like $2/kg, and even regular prices is like $5-6, there's no way anything canned, even ground beef hooves and assholes, are going to be cheaper than that.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait what's up with fresh meat? As terrible as it is I get their logic behind dumb poo poo like pre-cubed cheese or even non-plain beans but fresh meat? I recently got pork shoulder on sale for like $2/kg, and even regular prices is like $5-6, there's no way anything canned, even ground beef hooves and assholes, are going to be cheaper than that.

Cruelty is the point. Punish those who need SNAP benefits who are overwhelmingly not in the same demographic as those making the rules.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dick Fontaine posted:

What the gently caress Google?

I always have to know if they deserved it. Once you steal a candy bar... you're a criminal for life. :colbert:

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm 99% certain it's from those boomer urban legends about seeing a big sassy welfare queen buying steak and lobster with food stamps. Right after she spat on a returning Vietnam vet and then burned her bra to protest the patriarchy.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

mobby_6kl posted:

The poor deserve to suffer.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That SNAP poo poo makes me so angry.

Even if they spend 100% of it on filet mignon, it's not like they're getting MORE of your money. They have a set amount they can use. If they spend it on expensive poo poo then who cares? That's their choice. Not a smart one but it doesn't affect me what they buy.

The GOP is just absolutely disgusting.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Even if they spend 100% of it on filet mignon, it's not like they're getting MORE of your money. They have a set amount they can use. If they spend it on expensive poo poo then who cares? That's their choice. Not a smart one but it doesn't affect me what they buy.

:same:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I always have to know if they deserved it. Once you steal a candy bar... you're a criminal for life. :colbert:

I can't remember if it was Trayvon Martin or Michael Brown, but the "HE WAS NO ANGEL" crowd revealed his crimes of...smoking weed, skipping school, and tagging walls.

AKA poo poo your average lovely white kid does all the time too, but weirdly they don't get :blastu: for it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Next thing you know theyll be buying Royal Crown soda like the Rockefellers.

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

I get their logic behind dumb poo poo like pre-cubed cheese or even non-plain beans

Stop. Don't even do this. I know it's not what you meant but don't give their poo poo even a modicum of benefit of the doubt.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

squibble posted:

Stop. Don't even do this. I know it's not what you meant but don't give their poo poo even a modicum of benefit of the doubt.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

squibble posted:

Yeah. The Gross Old Party has capitalized for years off demonizing the poor and disabled. It's parallel to the outrage Boomer-types tend to have for seeing someone have the audacity to stand up from their wheelchair to reach something on a shelf, or the temerity to park in a handicap space at the grocery store and walk. It's childish, stupidly spiteful, and morally repugnant. Which describes the regressive right in general, really.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

I heard whispers about this locally for a few days now, must be really bad.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I can't remember if it was Trayvon Martin or Michael Brown, but the "HE WAS NO ANGEL" crowd revealed his crimes of...smoking weed, skipping school, and tagging walls.

AKA poo poo your average lovely white kid does all the time too, but weirdly they don't get :blastu: for it.

Uh, those are all capital offenses dumb rear end. Duh!

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Apprentice Dick posted:

Cruelty is the point. Punish those who need SNAP benefits who are overwhelmingly not in the same demographic as those making the rules.

especially when you factor in a lot of people on SNAP live in food deserts and do not have much say in what they will eat because it's what's on the shelf at the corner store bc you don't have a car and are only able to carry what fits in your arms and a backpack or w/e so taking the bus an hour round trip to get food is stupid

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

squibble posted:

Then it should be clear I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt, it's just that one of those is not like the other. I know making people suffer is the point but if's like if they banned abortions, gender affirming treatments, and clowns.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Personally I thought refried beans were kind of the odd man out. When I think of food that's cheap as poo poo canned refried beans is up near the top. It's just a sign that they're not even trying to hide the malice and are openly voting to kill the program.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://twitter.com/MEM_PoliceDept/status/1616595013927845889?t=s5WV64gqlh8DNLIqmnbDYQ&s=19

Memphis PD 'concluded their investigation' into the man's death and has fired five officers.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I can't even fathom how bad it was if five officers were fired before details were released

e: Oh, the fired officers were all black.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Tennessee pigs can't stay out of the news.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

It's not even new. They were outraged years ago when someone found out u can buy lobster with snap money. And they were all like "Poor people are buying lobster with your tax dollars!!!!!" But it never gained any traction.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh I'm well aware this isn't new. This has been going on for at least a decade.

The ol' person screaming at someone in the grocery checkout when they use their EBT card or whatever to buy something they don't approve of. Sickening.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Apparently the Memphis PD officers just beat the poo poo out of the guy after a chase. Just beat him to death and its all on video. I hope they all fry.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Funny that they have enough evidence to fire them on the spot, but not enough to press charges or initiate any kind of judicial response.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

You keep the poor intentionally undernourished, so that they won't have the strength to rise up.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

FoolyCharged posted:

Funny that they have enough evidence to fire them on the spot, but not enough to press charges or initiate any kind of judicial response.

The statement in the tweet above does use the word "charged," but I'm not sure if this means they were charged with anything in court or if it's more in the context of internal department procedure, citing the policies they violated. I can't find anything else about them actually being charged though.

Your country is sick.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

quote:

OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla.
Twin brothers have been arrested after the sexual battery and robbery of a woman, according to Kissimmee police.

A woman was leaving from Miguelo's Ultra Lounge in Kissimmee on Dec. 30.

According to the Kissimmee Police Department, an officer who saw her leaving told her to use a Lyft or Uber to get home. The officer said the woman shouldn't drive as a result of intoxication.

The woman ordered a Lyft and as she was waiting, two brothers asked her for money.

The affidavit said they made threats to beat her up after the victim said she didn't have money.

The two men got into the Lyft with her when it arrived and went to her apartment.

The victim told police that they beat her and also reported sexual battery at her apartment while being held in her bedroom.

The cop who clearly saw her being harassed by two strange men goes unmentioned after telling her to get an Uber.

https://www.wesh.com/article/osceola-county-twins-arrested-robbery-battery/42598786

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Dick Jones posted:

I'm 99% certain it's from those boomer urban legends about seeing a big sassy welfare queen buying steak and lobster with food stamps. Right after she spat on a returning Vietnam vet and then burned her bra to protest the patriarchy.

The way it works is, whole classifications of foods are eligible, and all "fresh uncooked animal protein" was eligible, whether it was the discount $1/pound beef that has a sell-by date of *checks label* today, or some A5 wagyu beef. Or the super cheap poop-eating tilapia fillets and the $25/lb Atlantic swordfish.

The problem is the money isn't enough in a lot of cases, it's feeding yourself for a month on three weeks' budget. Most of the welfare exploitation are rich kids who apply for welfare, but don't have to report material support from their rich parents. The guy writing a hit piece on welfare food who went out and bought the aforementioned pound of swordfish literally had all his bills paid for by his parents and his welfare was little more than extraneous spending money. Hell, his writing gig was an internship, if I remember correctly, the unpaid kind designed to keep the poors from getting in the door because "paying bills" and "free labor full-time" are pretty much mutually exclusive.