Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Paul T Goodman is so drat odd but so drat good.
Also watched the new John Hyams thriller "Sick" (also on Peacock) and thought it was really fun. No one quite directs these tight, 90 min thrillers like he does. Very kinetic chase/action pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Watching Get a Life on youtube and it absolutely holds up. Super ahead of its time

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Name Change posted:

s1 of the Mandalorian is probably the best Star Wars thing since 1983

s2 is mostly quite terrible, though not as bad as Boba Fett Has a Show, which is basically all the terrible parts of s2 squared.

Andor is currently the best Star Wars thing.

Another knock against Mando: Apparently some fairly central plot points between seasons 2 and 3 happened in Boba Fett. No, Disney, I'm not interested in watching an entirely different (and apparently much worse) show just to follow this one. :psyduck:

On a more positive note: I finally jumpd into Severance as well, and I'm happy to report that it indeed owns bones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Mando started out absolutely killer as a fun SW thing, but yeah season 2 was bad. it was still mostly fun bad though. Andor and Rouge 1 are legit good. everything else Disney has done with Star Wars is trash.

E: Actually Solo was fun trash I didn't hate it. Mostly just Book of Boba Fett and the "new trilogy" were awful. I haven't watched Obi Wan but it looked dumb.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

thatfuturekid posted:

Also watched the new John Hyams thriller "Sick" (also on Peacock) and thought it was really fun. No one quite directs these tight, 90 min thrillers like he does. Very kinetic chase/action pieces

Yeah I was impressed how finely it walked the line of having the killers be really into COVID precautions and masking but not have it come off like some CHUD ragebait about psycho maskers or whatever. It also trusts the audience enough to not have to have the main character spell out "your son chose to go to that party too, your son chose to make out with a random person, it could have just as easily been him infecting someone else."

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

Mando started out absolutely killer as a fun SW thing, but yeah season 2 was bad. it was still mostly fun bad though. Andor and Rouge 1 are legit good. everything else Disney has done with Star Wars is trash.

E: Actually Solo was fun trash I didn't hate it. Mostly just Book of Boba Fett and the "new trilogy" were awful. I haven't watched Obi Wan but it looked dumb.

I liked Solo, it was just a bunch of dumb swashbuckling fun.

There's going to be a new season of Party Down :woop:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

New season of Vikings Valhalla is up on Netflix. If you liked season 1 or the original show you'll probably like this, too!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Perestroika posted:

Another knock against Mando: Apparently some fairly central plot points between seasons 2 and 3 happened in Boba Fett. No, Disney, I'm not interested in watching an entirely different (and apparently much worse) show just to follow this one. :psyduck:

On a more positive note: I finally jumpd into Severance as well, and I'm happy to report that it indeed owns bones.

Boba Book is terrible and in no way worth watching, but Episode 5 is a completely standalone Manderlorian episode that's the best in the series and includes everything you probably need to know. They just kind-of shoehorned it into there to trick people, I guess.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
There were a couple good episodes of Mando but most of it just felt like nonsensical fan service, including s1. Andor was basically the opposite.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Andor was good but I also had to watch every episode twice because I kept losing attention and would go to the kitchen or something and miss important character introductions or plot points

didn't have to do that with boba fett, its much stupider

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

A MIRACLE posted:

Andor was good but I also had to watch every episode twice because I kept losing attention and would go to the kitchen or something and miss important character introductions or plot points

didn't have to do that with boba fett, its much stupider
Yeah don't you loving hate it when there's a TV show designed for people to watch it rather than for people to ignore it while looking at their phones? Like seriously if I wanted something I had to watch, I'd be on TikTok. TV is for ignoring.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Papercut posted:

There were a couple good episodes of Mando but most of it just felt like nonsensical fan service, including s1. Andor was basically the opposite.

Mando was definitely pulpier so it fit a different bill. Although the "This is the way" poo poo is so cringe.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

TV is for ignoring.

I am so hosed on attention span now

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah I was impressed how finely it walked the line of having the killers be really into COVID precautions and masking but not have it come off like some CHUD ragebait about psycho maskers or whatever. It also trusts the audience enough to not have to have the main character spell out "your son chose to go to that party too, your son chose to make out with a random person, it could have just as easily been him infecting someone else."

I was really expecting the protag to cough in the mother's face in order to get the upper hand while they were struggling in the barn at the end. instead she just kind of gets the upper hand anyway and then they set her on fire lol

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

I am so hosed on attention span now

I've been watching more Hulu lately and realized I kinda miss commercial breaks since they give me a couple minutes every ten minutes to check my phone, get a snack, etc. Although Hulu just cramming the commercials in the middle of scenes is obviously terrible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I have two modes. Active and passive. I've only recently started to watch a lot of reality TV competition shows and docu series because I can barely pay attention to them and be entertained while I am working on an art project or cleaning my house. "adult animation" shows are also good for this. If it's anything else it gets my full attention unless it bores me in which case it I just turn it off and play a video game.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

putting on the Hulu Original film The Drop, which is about dropping a baby or something

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Papercut posted:

I've been watching more Hulu lately and realized I kinda miss commercial breaks since they give me a couple minutes every ten minutes to check my phone, get a snack, etc. Although Hulu just cramming the commercials in the middle of scenes is obviously terrible.

I expected to hate tubi for this reason but now I honestly think the best way to watch Blade is to have a commercial and water break every 30 minutes.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah same for me with Pluto. Hulu with ads is the worst though, they're no bullshit three times louder than whatever you're streaming.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

putting on the Hulu Original film The Drop, which is about dropping a baby or something

it’s the sequel to The Baby

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Tiny Timbs posted:

it’s the sequel to The Baby

I thought it was a sequel to The Slap

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Perestroika posted:

The last couple of episodes of Boba are pretty OK and include a King Kong Rancor.

These shows fall apart when they waste energy on trying to build themselves into existing properties instead of doing their own thing. I absolutely do not care what Luke Skywalker or Ahsoka are getting up to, they should have nothing to do with Mando. If you still want to do Luke stuff, pay Sebastian Stan all the money, that way you can get more range of motion and emotion out of Luke than a wooden plank. The Luke stuff in Mando/Boba is some of the worst TV I have ever seen.

It is probably not a coincidence that everything in Disney Star Wars is generally good to really good until someone with a lightsaber shows up.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Luke wrecking the death troopers fuckin owned thank you very much :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It was fine, but it was also a completely shallow and empty moment that was built entirely around providing meaningless red meat to people who’d complained about Luke’s use in the Sequels. It was destined to get a giant social reaction and sell a bunch of merch and it did.

Nevermind that it completely derailed the finale of the season and required an ancillary sideplot in the Boba show to resolve in time for Mando S3.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Field Mousepad posted:

Luke drinking alien titty milk and engaging in an instant transmission/afterimage troll battle owned way, way more.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Luke stuff in Boba was just loving embarrassing.

Literally the equivalent of typing “Luke Skywalker teaching Baby Yoda from the Mandalorian, detailed, photorealistic” into an AI image prompt and begging everyone to clap and happy cry at the results.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the thing with the shows in general is, I feel there's someone in the SW division of Disneycorp who's like "But what about the lore, we need lore, we need everything to connect" and keeps hitting that button to the detriment of whatever they're making. With Andor it feels like Tony Gilroy was able to say "We're not hitting the button, we're just telling this story" and the connections it has to the universe are there but it's only what actually makes sense to have in a story about the earliest forms of the Rebellion.

Like even the Mandalorian episode in Boba Fett, while it was fun in itself, like, why is it in Boba Fett? Why not just make it S3E1 of The Mandalorian?

(Similarly I feel like S2 of Mandalorian was mostly pretty good but the last episode felt out of place which kinda colored perceptions of it as a whole.)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Field Mousepad posted:

Dark Troopers. They actually pulled them from a 1995 video game. That's kinda cool!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I argue with friends all the time on why I didn't enjoy Kenobi, and this is exactly why. Kenobi would have been a thousand times better if the kid wasn't Leia, but no they had to find a way to give everyone their memberberries, which led to a zero stakes show because you literally know what happens to everyone.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

TLOU was magnificent

I was really down on the actress playing Ellie when I saw the previews, but she's really good. Can't expect everyone to look like their game counterpart.

Thought it was excellent, as well, but yeah, Bella Ramsey just has an...off look that suits her character in Thrones but makes it hard for me to accept her as Ellie. Otherwise, I thought she really inhabited the character to a tee in the pilot.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The Menu being adjacent to rich snobs seems to really get a small subset of "gotcha" guys worked up. They think solved some riddle no that one else did about it not being as profound as it thinks it is, while all of the sheeple think it's a really important political statement or something. It's just a fun comedy horror B movie making GBS threads on pretentious dorks. Ralph Fiennes being a pos is fine because he is the goddamn villain. Tbh every bad take I have read from ShoogaSlim on it makes me think he'd be a perfect candidate as a S'more.

lol I love this as a threat

"I'm gonna cook you so wholesome!!!"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rental Sting posted:

Thought it was excellent, as well, but yeah, Bella Ramsey just has an...off look that suits her character in Thrones but makes it hard for me to accept her as Ellie. Otherwise, I thought she really inhabited the character to a tee in the pilot.

lol ....off look

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
SW disney poo poo is going to be unwatchable after seeing Andor.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

mcmagic posted:

SW disney poo poo is going to be unwatchable after seeing Andor.

Kenobi was unwatchable poo poo even before I saw Andor. Either they're going to loosen up and give these shows the time and budget they need to be successful or they're going to take Star Wars TV down the same path they took Star Wars Movies...and for the same drat reason.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Star Wars should go back to being an event you anticipate for years and not something you pump out and expect every quarter.

Tbh, I’m kinda thrilled Andor season 2 won’t come til 2024 because it’s basically guaranteed to not be a rush job.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tbh, I’m kinda thrilled Andor season 2 won’t come til 2024 because it’s basically guaranteed to not be a rush job.
disney is 100% going to find some way to gently caress it up

like with any other show I would think "andor season 1 was good so season 2 will probably be good too" but the fact that season 1 was good literally gives me no faith that season 2 won't just somehow magically be a cartoon about baby yoda or a mandalorian spinoff sitcom or something

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm optimistic about some of the shows they have coming out. Ahsoka has always been Dave Filoni's baby, and her story is not finished. I enjoyed Rebels, and it'll be interesting to see that story continue in a live action format.

Skeleton Crew, starring Jude Law, is an original story that they've been promoting as similar in tone to Stranger Things, and it's created and directed by Jon Watts, who did an excellent job with the new Spiderman trilogy.

And The Acolyte is also an original story with an excellent cast and created and directed by Leslye Headland who did Russian Doll.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Kenobi was unwatchable poo poo even before I saw Andor. Either they're going to loosen up and give these shows the time and budget they need to be successful or they're going to take Star Wars TV down the same path they took Star Wars Movies...and for the same drat reason.

The funny thing about Kenobi was the pilot was actually pretty good!!!!!! not sure what happened.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Look we can all argue about Star Wars TV all day long but can we all at least agree that Boba Fett's teeth were way, way too fuckin white for a guy who'd been stuck in the Sarlacc? Apparently the digestive fluids were bleach and fluoride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

sw has been dogshit since empire just stop watching the trash.