Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

haveblue posted:

There are no shareholders. Musk holds all the shares and appoints the whole board. There is no leash to tug

Not so with Tesla, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really don’t understand what Hochel is doing with this other than pissing off her allies and possibly costing herself re-election down the road

It bears repeating that she is pulling this after winning by the smallest margin of any NY Dem governor in decades

selec
Sep 6, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don’t understand what Hochel is doing with this other than pissing off her allies and possibly costing herself re-election down the road

It bears repeating that she is pulling this after winning by the smallest margin of any NY Dem governor in decades

She’s begging you to not judge a man by the color of his skin, or the content of his legal opinions, or really anything, please just shut up!

The funniest part of this story was discovering that Lin Manuel Miranda’s rebellion against his conservative power broker father was a deep misunderstanding of American history channeled into a terrible Broadway rap career. He completely misunderstood the assignment. He didn’t even understand what class he was taking, and he wasn’t even enrolled at that school.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I suspect Holchul just wants to get back to what was business-as-usual under Cuomo and is hoping to just wait it out. Voters will have another set of concerns on their mind by the time she's back up for reelection.

I'm not a fan of hers. I think she knows how the New York Democratic machine works more than how overall general election politics work and it's eventually going to catch up to her.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

selec posted:

Hochul maybe just dumb? That’s an acceptable reason for why politicians act this way, right?

I suspect in reality that she’s just a conservative and wants to get her way because ideologically she wants this guy, and also she wants to discipline the left flank

https://twitter.com/kaefair/status/1615370005784453124?s=46&t=GWBDqxKfYYFycRolqhvmsg

Imagine being this psychotic in the defense of a guy who said excluding people from a jury on the basis of skin color was fine!

https://queenseagle.com/all/2023/1/16/opinion-justice-lasalle-blessed-skin-color-discrimination-in-jury-selection-thats-disqualifying

I only know anything at all about it because Leon Trotsky 2012 called attention to it, but apparently it's a quid pro pro thing. The conservative justice was the only one of the available options who publicly committed to appointing Hochul's pick for court administrator.

And as far as I can tell (which admittedly isn't very much), NY state politics under Hochul have played host to a lot of petty feuding over how the courts should be run, which in turn affects how some policies (like bail reform) are implemented. Enthusiastically backing a terrible judge in exchange for increased influence elsewhere is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect from NY state politics. It's all the pettiness and personality-driven clashes of general local/regional politics, combined with the patronage networks that pop up in an area with strong political machines.

That said, she's long been a conservative Dem. She spent her early political career as a self-proclaimed "independent Democrat" who frequently defied her own party. As she told a reporter during her first run for a House seat:

quote:

"I’m not afraid of telling my own party when they’re wrong, or embracing a Republican idea when it’s right. I’m not partisan,” Hochul said. “I believe that’s why I was elected (clerk) with 80 percent of the vote last November. And that shows people of all parties will support me, because they trust my judgment and they know I’m a fighter.”

Hochul says she’s proud of the fact her Congressional campaign donor list includes the names of “Republican businessmen, small business people, Democrats, Republicans, independents, people who’ve seen me in the past and know me.”

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 17, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

haveblue posted:

There are no shareholders. Musk holds all the shares and appoints the whole board. There is no leash to tug

About 5% of it are private stakes Elon sold to other 3 or 4 other people. He was also trying to get more investors to buy into Twitter recently, but couldn't find anyone willing to do so at the time. Literally 0 people.

He was also trying to claim the valuation at what he paid for it and required at least a 1% stake, so it kind of proves that nobody in their right mind would pay what he did for it unless they were legally forced to, like he was.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

selec posted:

She’s begging you to not judge a man by the color of his skin, or the content of his legal opinions, or really anything, please just shut up!

The funniest part of this story was discovering that Lin Manuel Miranda’s rebellion against his conservative power broker father was a deep misunderstanding of American history channeled into a terrible Broadway rap career. He completely misunderstood the assignment. He didn’t even understand what class he was taking, and he wasn’t even enrolled at that school.

LMM's musicals are good people are just mad about the politics of Hamilton and trying to extend that to his musicality being bad, which it isn't.

You can dislike him as a person but he's good at what he does

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

LMM's musicals are good people are just mad about the politics of Hamilton and trying to extend that to his musicality being bad, which it isn't.

You can dislike him as a person but he's good at what he does

They’re not good, because I actually like rap music.

They’re great if you don’t understand history as class struggle and also don’t much care for rap. The actual lyrics and intended delivery are basically Eminem album filler material performed by an HR dude who really loves Eminem.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

selec posted:

They’re great if you don’t understand history as class struggle and also don’t much care for rap.

Literally the best songs in Hamilton aren't even rap or rap-ish.

Thanks for the take that confirms exactly what I said.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Literally the best songs in Hamilton aren't even rap or rap-ish.

Thanks for the take that confirms exactly what I said.

Musical theater is by and large hot garbo so this tracks.

Speaking of garbo…

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1615404442526027776?s=46&t=EOOnuS64C8_gcrvXTt_sLg

We are never getting anything good ever again

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

selec posted:

Musical theater is by and large hot garbo so this tracks.

Extremely bad take

Are you suprised?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Extremely bad take

Are you suprised?

I’m not surprised but I also am a leftist so I don’t expect good things from this government, and if they happen I’m always looking for who is getting screwed to make it happen.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

To idly speculate, she was Cuomo's second-in-command, and he wouldn't surround himself either with deep blue Democrats or deep critical thinkers.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hamilton is easily the worst musical LMM has written but is also pure awards bait. In The Heights is a lot better.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gumball Gumption posted:

Hamilton is easily the worst musical LMM has written but is also pure awards bait. In The Heights is a lot better.

Counterpoint: in the heights is absolutely poo poo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Moana soundtrack loving ruled. LMM is cringe but I don't think examining the political and personal lives of musicians you like is a rabbit hole many want to go down. Hamilton is enough to even make me cagey about saying I like any of his other stuff tho.

edit - I should note that I'm not a big music or musicals guy so my opinion isn't an informed one. IMHO the whole genre peaked with Little Shop of Horrors and Hedwig.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 17, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

LMM is a good songwriter and a good actor. He's done a lot of great stuff for Disney in both capacities. Where things fall apart is when he actually tries to sing or rap anything. There's a reason why Daveed Diggs, Leslie Odom Jr. and Okieriete Onaodowan carry like all of Hamilton on their backs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gumball Gumption posted:

I have still never seen Hamilton, but In The Heights and the soundtracks/scores to Encanto and Moana are very good and legitimately impressive both in scope and technique. He definitely has a lot of genuine talent.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

selec posted:

They’re great if you don’t understand history as class struggle and also don’t much care for rap. The actual lyrics and intended delivery are basically Eminem album filler material performed by an HR dude who really loves Eminem.

I mean, Hamilton was a terrible piece of poo poo even without thinking from a class struggle perspective. 2 seconds of any sort of actual research would tell you that the the true crime was that nobody shot the gently caress before Burr did.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have still never seen Hamilton, but In The Heights and the soundtracks/scores to Encanto and Moana are very good and legitimately impressive both in scope and technique. He definitely has a lot of genuine talent.

Hamilton is like 4 really good songs (none of which are sung by Miranda himself) stretched out across 3 and a half hours. You're not missing much.

Gyges posted:

I mean, Hamilton was a terrible piece of poo poo even without thinking from a class struggle perspective. 2 seconds of any sort of actual research would tell you that the the true crime was that nobody shot the gently caress before Burr did.

I think even Miranda has said that multiple times, basically word-for-word, "I'm impressed that it took THAT long for someone to finally shoot him."

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

Again my point is that people say dumb poo poo about his musicals because they're mad about the politics of hamilton.

In the Heights isn't better, Hamilton is really well put together, too bad it tries to rehab a shitlord

encanto is real good too

nine-gear crow posted:

Hamilton is like 4 really good songs (none of which are sung by Miranda himself) stretched out across 3 and a half hours. You're not missing much.

4 really good songs is better than most musicals

Cats has one and it's ran for decades

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I just rewatched House, M.D. for some godforsaken reason and forgot LMM has an extremely cringe cameo in one of the episodes in the mental hospital. Complete with him rapping and it sounding exactly like all of his other work.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Like, seriously just listen to "You'll Be Back", "Satisfied", "What Did I Miss?" and "The Room Where It Happened," and if you want a fifth one, "The Adams Administration" purely for "Sit doooown, John... YOU FAT MOTHERFUCKER!"

congratulations, you have now listened to the hit Broadway musical Hamilton by Lin-Manuel Miranda.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hamilton sucks but moana and encanto both have great music

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

forbidden dialectics posted:

I just rewatched House, M.D. for some godforsaken reason and forgot LMM has an extremely cringe cameo in one of the episodes in the mental hospital. Complete with him rapping and it sounding exactly like all of his other work.

Doctor or patient?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

Like, seriously just listen to "You'll Be Back", "Satisfied", "What Did I Miss?" and "The Room Where It Happened," and if you want a fifth one, "The Adams Administration" purely for "Sit doooown, John... YOU FAT MOTHERFUCKER!"

congratulations, you have now listened to the hit Broadway musical Hamilton by Lin-Manuel Miranda.

bad news for you about most broadway musicals and leitmotifs

also you missed Wait For It. and guns and ships is a banger.

Hamilton good musical with bad politics.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
There isn't always nuance in these situations, obviously, but as far the con judge goes, the nuance Trotsky mentioned a few posts back seems to be the motivation behind it all.

Given the enormous push back and personal cost to them, I don't see even trash moderates putting this much effort and burning this much political support, just to save some con judge, unless they themselves are getting something out of it.

None of that changes the fact that the NY Dem Machine is, as was shown in the midterms, dysfunctional and run by lazy idiots that need to be replaced.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaxyon posted:

bad news for you about most broadway musicals and leitmotifs

also you missed Wait For It. and guns and ships is a banger.

Hamilton good musical with bad politics.

Wait For It, Helpless, Dear Theodosia, and ehh Burn is effective in context. Hamilton has a higher ratio of well constructed tunes than pretty much anything else that isn't written by Sondheim.

Politics bad tho, easier to just pretend it's telling a completely fictional story

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

haveblue posted:

Doctor or patient?

It's part of the story-line where House gets sent to the looney bin, with all the characteristic "lol look at these CRAZY PEOPLE" and it is all kinds of awful

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

so wait is four good songs really considered impressive for a musical? because you would think a genre that's all about songs would have figured out how to write more than four good ones per show by now

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

It's part of the story-line where House gets sent to the looney bin, with all the characteristic "lol look at these CRAZY PEOPLE" and it is all kinds of awful

I've never seen House, but from what I have picked up through cultural osmosis it sounds like the writers really reached for the stars with those plot lines and his employer is very irresponsible to keep employing a doctor who is a heroin addict, diagnosed as mentally unstable, refuses to follow accepted medical procedures, and gets into fistfights with cancer patients.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

so wait is four good songs really considered impressive for a musical? because you would think a genre that's all about songs would have figured out how to write more than four good ones per show by now

a lot of musicals suck in terms of song quality and are built around a few big numbers and the rest are forgettable, especially after intermission

Hamilton is very good from this standpoint, better than almost any other modern musical. It's got a lot of really well composed pieces and clever call backs reprises and theming

This is hardly unique to musicals lots of Operas(from which musicals are descended) also have this problem of "one banger and mostly mediocre for the rest"

That's what I'm saying about LMM...he's legit incredibly talented in the musical genre, no matter what you think about him as a person

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wait For It, Helpless, Dear Theodosia, and ehh Burn is effective in context. Hamilton has a higher ratio of well constructed tunes than pretty much anything else that isn't written by Sondheim.

Politics bad tho, easier to just pretend it's telling a completely fictional story

I don't blame people who can't view it like this, but yeah that's how I deal with it...it uses a founding father to sucker white people in and then just tells human stories about ego and poo poo while casting PoC in every role

but some of the songs go into politics so you can't really take that viewing of it too far

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

It pretty much was anyways and LMM admits to it a bit. Alexander Hamilton was not a good dude even by founder standards. Miranda admits he had to leave a lot of stuff out so the audience had someone to get behind in the story. After all its Hamilton's wife telling the story, she glorifies him. Treating him as an early abolitionist is just bizarre too.

I know this is a hornets nest thing to say, the politics in the story itself aren't like radical but they aren't exactly status quo either. but somehow the musical has become this battle ground of I perceive people who like this to be like this and it feels like it's not coming from the actual story itself.

Jaxyon posted:

a lot of musicals suck in terms of song quality and are built around a few big numbers and the rest are forgettable, especially after intermission

Hamilton is very good from this standpoint, better than almost any other modern musical. It's got a lot of really well composed pieces and clever call backs reprises and theming

This is hardly unique to musicals lots of Operas(from which musicals are descended) also have this problem of "one banger and mostly mediocre for the rest"

That's what I'm saying about LMM...he's legit incredibly talented in the musical genre, no matter what you think about him as a person

Also the first half of Hamilton is way stronger than the second half. The second half just kinda is all over the place until the duel.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

I've never seen House, but from what I have picked up through cultural osmosis it sounds like the writers really reached for the stars with those plot lines and his employer is very irresponsible to keep employing a doctor who is a heroin addict, diagnosed as mentally unstable, refuses to follow accepted medical procedures, and gets into fistfights with cancer patients.

its a good and entertaining show right until house goes to the loony bin, in the LMM episode, and it goes off the rails very quickly after that. however if you stop watching at the season finale where house finally goes insane and gets committed its a good way to pretend the show ended.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also the first half of Hamilton is way stronger than the second half. The second half just kinda is all over the place until the duel.

Struggling to find a musical where this isn't the case

Even Les Mis is stronger in first half. But it does have better politics.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I went to a Hamilton museum where they politely but firmly asked you to not bring up his slaves

It didn't work

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

All of this is to say if you want a more left/right look at American politics during the revolution, watch 1776 where Nixon got so mad at this song it was cut from the film.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Bryan Singer was a producer for the show. It explains a lot about it.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Mentioned earlier, but maybe Little Shop of Horrors? Can’t remember where the act breaks are in that, but I’d say Audrey 2 being able to get in on music numbers is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Whenever king George shows up, those songs are really fun.

He paints burr as some jealous jerk with no beliefs.