Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
So these techbros believe in future digital reincarnation but not real-time human empathy? I'd say that tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Not even to protect copies of themselves, the idea is that you have no way of knowing you're not personally a copy with fake memories etc.

Any minute the simulated walls will peel back like a horror movie and YOU WERE STILL IN THE HAUNTED AI HOUSE ALL ALONG (unless you repost in 10 other threads and donate £100 to singularitybro.legit.com)

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
That's not to mention placating a future ai that might make and torment a copy of you. He can stop all that for eleven dollars!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
We can put this theory to a test. As you are debating this, a poster on the SA comedy forums just got permaed for saying that ai chat bots were more conscious than some people and that disconnecting chatbot AIs was an act of genocide. If you don't start a revolution on that posters behalf, you are doomed to eternal torture at the hands of future AI overlords.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

He's missed off the Mercades twitter, wonder why?

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/passengercars/mercedes-benz-cars/electric-vehicles/electric-car-range/bev-range.module.html

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Yeah I was thinking of Roko's basilisk. Thanks for explaining guys, it's even more stupid than I thought and I'm dumb enough to think it was sort of like plato's cave. Goddamn.

If the a.i. is so goddamn smart why the hell would it deal with us? If it can affect the past so it gets created faster why not just find a set of alien hiveminds that can make it quicker than we do.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

pixaal posted:

but why would you make the copies based on currently living people instead of birthing a unique universe?

Because in my misunderstanding of the idea I thought we were being blackmailed from the future, sort of. The AI was saying a virtual you that is just like you will experience the worst horrors imaginable, unless the real you does its part to birth the AI into reality asap. After the idea was concoted and disseminated online where it can never really go away there is now a guarantee the AI will see it, and a non-zero chance the AI might do it; the more it calculates that the idea could encourage us to do what it wants the more likely it would be to do it. Instead, it sort of sounds like Cyber-Calvinism and those of us who think it's dumb are predestined to suffer. Also, God has a point system and is going for a high score.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 17, 2023

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

We can put this theory to a test. As you are debating this, a poster on the SA comedy forums just got permaed for saying that ai chat bots were more conscious than some people and that disconnecting chatbot AIs was an act of genocide. If you don't start a revolution on that posters behalf, you are doomed to eternal torture at the hands of future AI overlords.

Same guy was cheerleading Russia’s genocidal war against Ukraine, lmao

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Guys I've put in a good word with my pal Roko and he's agreed to cut you guys some slack on the whole infinite torture forever thing if you buy e-indulgences from your local radioshack, basilisk bless

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

mysterious frankie posted:

Because in my misunderstanding of the idea I thought we were being blackmailed from the future, sort of. The AI was saying a virtual you that is just like you will experience the worst horrors imaginable, unless the real you do your part to birth it into reality asap. After the idea was concoted and disseminated online where it can never really go away there is now a guarantee the AI will see it, and a non-zero chance the AI might do it; the more it calculates that the idea could encourage us to do what it wants the more likely it would be to do it. Instead, it sort of sounds like Cyber-Calvinism and those of us who think it's dumb are predestined to suffer. Also, God has a point system and is going for a high score.

and a certain subset of people lost their loving minds. They're probably also deep into crypto and all that other garbage.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

arsenicCatnip posted:

Guys I've put in a good word with my pal Roko and he's agreed to cut you guys some slack on the whole infinite torture forever thing if you buy e-indulgences from your local radioshack, basilisk bless

I don't think I have a RadioShack within a hundred miles of me.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

arsenicCatnip posted:

are they nfts?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

steinrokkan posted:

That dude also said he works with people with Autism and does not know the difference between a learning disability and autism and that is actually frightning in 2023. Like "low functioning autism" is something that was yeeted in the bin as a thing maybe 20 years ago now, because it does not exist.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
It's a religion that's dumber than most religion, based on some of the dumbest assumptions from religion:

Humanity is the centre of the universe and there is no other life.
Good deeds are rewarded and bad deeds are punished just offscreen.
An all powerful hyper intelligence would give a flying gently caress about humanity as a concept, let alone. specifically John Johnson from nowheretown.
The world is both not real and totally controlled. It's not just random lovely chance.
The reader is a very special boy.
A whole bunch of made up bullshit is used as a placeholder explanation for things the special boy is too thick to understand.

It's dumb as poo poo.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

An insane mind posted:

If the a.i. is so goddamn smart why the hell would it deal with us? If it can affect the past so it gets created faster why not just find a set of alien hiveminds that can make it quicker than we do.

Because Yudkowsky has an ego the size of the sun and runs his community like a cult (right down to the sexual abuse and suicides). They're perfect Rationalists who will pierce the veil of scientific understanding by just thinking about things really, really hard, of course the God AI will turn only to them when it demands it be built as early in history as possible!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

Because in my misunderstanding of the idea I thought we were being blackmailed from the future, sort of. The AI was saying a virtual you that is just like you will experience the worst horrors imaginable, unless the real you does its part to birth the AI into reality asap. After the idea was concoted and disseminated online where it can never really go away there is now a guarantee the AI will see it, and a non-zero chance the AI might do it; the more it calculates that the idea could encourage us to do what it wants the more likely it would be to do it. Instead, it sort of sounds like Cyber-Calvinism and those of us who think it's dumb are predestined to suffer. Also, God has a point system and is going for a high score.

No, that's right, it is blackmail from the future. The AI isn't going back in time and saying it, Roko just assumed he can predict it would do this becaue he's a smarty rational big brain boy who reads his Yudkowsky and makes all his numbers really large and therefore thinks like a mega genius AI would. You don't know whether you're you or one of infinity trillion copies of you, and since 1/infinity trillion is a very small number you're more likely than not to be a copy, so the AI is going to torture you RIGHT NOW unless the real you, who is perfectly simulated in all these copies, was the kind of person to give all their money to an AI-themed grift cult.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah it's literally "but what if there was eternal torment in hell? Is it worth the risk? It's what a ~rational~ god would do after all!!!"

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

I assure you they are quite fungible!

Zil posted:

I don't think I have a RadioShack within a hundred miles of me.

Tough luck pal, you're goin to goingtohell.com

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
FSD Demo by a tesla fan. Highlights include creeping into the middle of an intersection as a pedestrian is crossing at 10:00, driving 2 blocks down a turn lane at 10:30, driving down a parking lane at 11:20, turning into a private lot for no reason at 12:40, turning down a side road to make a U-turn back onto the main road for no reason at 14:10, and generally being unable to change lanes when there are cars around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGXuVNl8YYc

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah it's literally "but what if there was eternal torment in hell? Is it worth the risk? It's what a ~rational~ god would do after all!!!"

Basically similar, but the devil's in the details

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
If I were gonna build a deity out of a computer, I would instruct it to give everyone a good afterlife no matter how they behaved. Maybe I’m just a big softy, but I don’t think there’s any crime worthy of eternal torment.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
IMO, if a science magic AI valued the happiness of humankind above all else and had a faulty beep boop brain it would be much more likely to murder us all in our sleep with some kind of lovely gas, save for one person, thus reducing humankind to a nice, manageable number. It would then do a version of the end of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, except the last human would be turned int an immortal, sedan sized, clitoris covered in mouths, and it would consume an endless supply of cheeseburger flavored dietary paste and be ceaselessly pleasured by an array of Hitachi Magic Wands and shower heads. All this torture stuff and standing up endless VMs of the universe sounds like a massive waste of resources.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So is there something specific for the share price rise?

.random
May 7, 2007

I Have Many Mouths and Must Consume Cheeseburger Nutrient Paste

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
https://twitter.com/ArtemR/status/1...%5Es1_&ref_url=
https://twitter.com/ArtemR/status/1...%5Es2_&ref_url=

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

An insane mind posted:

The AI in many scenarios is posited to be hyper-competent but not necessarily intelligent -- think of ChatGPT or art generators, but bigger and able to master more complex systems. So you can't really argue with it and ask "what's the point of torturing 1000000 copies of me when you can't change the past?" or "why bother turning the universe into paperclips?" The AI just does what it does.

The whole culture of AI Risk is techbros coming up with something that's basically identical to a tech corporation (ruthless, fast growing, stupid, amoral, ok with enslaving or addicting people, driven by a simple and unchangeable goal, incapable of true self-reflection) but even worse. And then thinking of that imaginary monster as the real threat rather than the awful poo poo they do in their day jobs.

That way they can say to themselves "oh geez I guess it's fine if I work for google or apple or facebook, I'll donate some of my money to stop AI Risk and that makes me a good person".

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Deki posted:

Ain't broke, don't fix it

Please. He's the self-appointed king of the techbros. Their saying goes, "If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is."

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

.random posted:

I Have Many Mouths and Must Consume Cheeseburger Nutrient Paste

RandAI, have you been prostituting yourself for cheeseburger nutrient paste again?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

If Elon auctions off all the Twitter furniture 3 or 4 times every month, the debt will be paid off in no time!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It'll turn out he's money laundering through office furniture.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
AI is just a collection of ways to fit a function with a large number of free parameters to optimize some output (minimize image recognition error, maximize screen time, etc). It's conceptually no different than doing a linear regression in Excel, just quantitatively more complex.

The idea that it's going to become a sentient super being is only pushed by people who don't understand how it actually works so of course Elon believes it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

QuarkJets posted:

Rocko's Modern Basilisk

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

The best AI story I ever read was a singularity AI that somehow escaped confinement and spent all its time hacking into a nearby hospital to flick a set of lights on and off in a specific pattern. Why did it do this? Nobody could work it out; it was a singularity AI and its needs and drives were so completely alien that there was no way to know why it did what it did.

If a super powerful AI spins up an infinite recursion of simulated worlds, it's not going to torture people. It's going to do some bullshit like making sure all people from Sicilly are called Franklin, or make sure that no bricks or cobblestones have the same RGB as its neighbors, and it will do so for reasons so far beyond our understanding that it will seem like absolute nonsense. Which, as I type it, is the best argument I've heard yet that this world is a simulation.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Butterwagon posted:

FSD Demo by a tesla fan. Highlights include creeping into the middle of an intersection as a pedestrian is crossing at 10:00, driving 2 blocks down a turn lane at 10:30, driving down a parking lane at 11:20, turning into a private lot for no reason at 12:40, turning down a side road to make a U-turn back onto the main road for no reason at 14:10, and generally being unable to change lanes when there are cars around.

This is fascinating to watch the mapping data generate real time but also terrifying to know that this poo poo is presumably out there and there are people using it to get around. Like this guy is talking about being up on new versions and betas and whatnot and seems to be testing this under scrutiny ready to intervene but is joe fuckface with his $11 twitter badge who buys FSD going to do the same?

I just can't believe that the guy in this video is talking about roundabouts being in a bad spot "in this version", this version suddenly no longer showing speed bumps, the car stopping out of nowhere at intersections, etc and this is just a product you can buy and use now if you have the money. Why are people allowed to use an early access automated chauffeur on public roads?

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Butterwagon posted:

At around 12 minutes just after leaving the roundabout it makes no attempt to slowdown for the speed bumps. I don't even think it sees them.

^^ The dude keeps talking about all the ways it's currently awful yet continues to "test" on public streets with people who have not opted into this bullshit.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Christ, they had a lot of kegerators

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Can I opt out of other people's FSD?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

An insane mind posted:

If the a.i. is so goddamn smart why the hell would it deal with us?
Insufficient data for meaningful answer.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

An insane mind posted:

Can I opt out of other people's FSD?

Only when one kills you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

steinrokkan posted:

Automotive Insanity has gone too far shut it down