Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Hamilton was only successful because there's a song about New York being "the greatest city in the world" and New Yorkers love nothing more than thinking New York is "the greatest city in the world."

edit: What a terrible page snipe, here's a got milk? commercial as penance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gkqzxss8Ss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Name Change posted:

To idly speculate, she was Cuomo's second-in-command, and he wouldn't surround himself either with deep blue Democrats or deep critical thinkers.

The only model she's seen of power in New York politics is Cuomo, a guy who had everybody by their gonads and loving scared the poo poo out of them. So she's trying to pull a Cuomo, but guess what, she DOESN'T have anything on anybody and NOBODY's scared of her - if she were, Cuomo woudn't have let her anywhere near his cabinet.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

borkencode posted:

Hamilton was only successful because there's a song about New York being "the greatest city in the world" and New Yorkers love nothing more than thinking New York is "the greatest city in the world."

nah it was real good

quote:

edit: What a terrible page snipe, here's a got milk? commercial as penance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gkqzxss8Ss

Michael bay directed that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

borkencode posted:

When they say Hamilton was inspired by true facts, this is what they meant

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

borkencode posted:

I remember watching this commercial on TV. Holy poo poo I feel old.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

haveblue posted:

When they say Hamilton was inspired by true facts, this is what they meant

Given the time period Hamilton takes place, no one at the time would of declared New York City the greatest city in the world.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Musicals in general peaked with The Book of Mormon.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

Musicals in general peaked with The Book of Mormon.

Also a great musical with some fairly dubious politics and portrayals.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

nine-gear crow posted:

I think even Miranda has said that multiple times, basically word-for-word, "I'm impressed that it took THAT long for someone to finally shoot him."

This was also broadly the attitude at the time when he finally did get shot. Hamilton the person was, Ron Chernow's fawning hagiography to the contrary, a world-class prick who pissed of basically everyone he met and seemed to relish making enemies and humiliating people in a time when doing so was, as he was apparently perplexed to learn, often literally a fatal mistake.

Chernow suffers badly from the biographer's malady: getting way too close with your subject and then falling in love. It shows in all of his work to one degree or another but holy gently caress is it at his worst in Alexander Hamilton.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
House is a fine show, though the fact its one of the modern examples of bad people using "well im a supa rear end in a top hat and supa skilled* you have to tolerate me"

*not actually skilled

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Everyone hates Kevin for being squishy and two-faced, but now GOP members of congress are shocked that Kevin is being squishy and two-faced to them.

quote:

Vern Buchanan exploded after losing Ways & Means to a McCarthy ally, fueling anxiety that he could retire out of pique—and that McCarthy’s favor trading has eroded his narrow margin of support.

Republicans have been fixated on whether 71-year-old Rep. Vern Buchanan might retire from Congress after losing the House Ways & Means chairmanship to the 42-year-old Speaker’s pet Jason Smith, potentially reducing Kevin McCarthy’s margin of error from four votes to three to pass critical partisan legislation. (If McCarthy somehow loses fabulist George Santos, too, he could be held hostage by as few as two members of his already fractious House conference.) Vern’s people say he won’t retire (despite the rumblings on the Hill), but they didn’t deny that he was mighty pissed to be passed over as the most senior person on the Ways & Means committee by Smith, a member who was fifth in line.

Just how angry was he? Well, a source on the House floor during the vote told me that while McCarthy was gaveling down the votes, Buchanan walked up to McCarthy and said, “You hosed me, I know it was you, you whipped against me.” He then proceeded to chew out McCarthy’s deputy chief of staff for floor operations, John Leganski. It was shocking to see such fury from Buchanan, who’s known for being mild mannered. Indeed, I heard that the tirade was so heated that the Speaker’s security detail stepped in with a light touch. (McCarthy’s spokesperson Matt Sparks disputed this detail saying, “at no point did anyone have to step in.” A spokesperson for Buchanan declined to comment.)

It couldn’t have been a surprise that Buchanan, who is independently wealthy and a key donor whisperer, isn’t taking the snub lightly. “Vern put out more money in fundraising than anyone else, and he wanted that job,” said a source.

MTG also got a spot on the Homeland Security and Government Oversight committees and skipped about 18 people with seniority to do so.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1615444129143472128

McCarthy is also still planning on giving Santos major committee assignments.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1615451249549402112

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://twitter.com/GovEvers/status/1615395760815706112

every weirdly timed off year election needs this

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Put him on science, the man has a PhD from MIT.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
but Santos is already the head of all committees?

also dont MTG and Boeburt have the the most absences( because they did MAGA touring and podcasting poo poo) like other than being leak vectors are they even going to bother to show up? and can the committee function?

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 17, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PhazonLink posted:

also dont MTG and Boeburt have the the most absences( because they did MAGA touring and podcasting poo poo) like out than being leak vectors are they even going to bother to show up? and can the committee function?

The committees mostly likely require 50%+1 for a quorum, so they can have several absences and still function

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Everyone hates Kevin for being squishy and two-faced, but now GOP members of congress are shocked that Kevin is being squishy and two-faced to them.

MTG also got a spot on the Homeland Security and Government Oversight committees and skipped about 18 people with seniority to do so.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1615444129143472128

I don't know what's sadder, the amount of people McCarthy pissed off to get a handful of votes by snubbing them like this, or that those same people will immediately fall into lockstep to fully support someone who so readily snubbed them all. They are all just craven cowards.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PhazonLink posted:

House is a fine show, though the fact its one of the modern examples of bad people using "well im a supa rear end in a top hat and supa skilled* you have to tolerate me"

*not actually skilled

I was writing up a huge post about an episode of House where to get his way he basically wrote up a cheat sheet for a patient on how to get the test results he wants to prove he was right and she had boneitus. Then at the 11th hour he runs into the surgery room as they're putting her under to reveal that while the rest of the staff was wrong so was he and she had, le-gasp, third disease that was cheaply and easily treatable. He then has to explain how he helped the woman cheat her medical tests and doesn't immediately have his medical license thrown into the sun because he has rear end in a top hat Protagonist Plot Protection.

But you managed to sum it up pretty well in a lot less words.

PhazonLink posted:

also dont MTG and Boeburt have the the most absences( because they did MAGA touring and podcasting poo poo) like other than being leak vectors are they even going to bother to show up? and can the committee function?

I'm now imagining Santos carrying a big pile of IDs in a fanny pack so he can pull out an ID with his face on it but any other Representative's name so at any time he can drop "Why yes I am [other representiative], head of other committee." And then him pulling 3-4 IDs out a conversation as he says he's different people each time.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

PhazonLink posted:

If you look at the full list of members, the Government Oversight committee is basically going to be a 24/7 Benghazi committee. I'm sure they will make do and not need full attendance most of the time.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Put him on science, the man has a PhD from MIT.

I think it only makes sense that the guy that cured cancer should get a spot on the science committee.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1615469193465405448

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Guy literally worked a fuckin ponzi scheme let's put him on the small business crew 4 America

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

"It's not my job to do my job and manage the House." as if it's not their job to expel a member.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

lmao just about the absolute most craven, ethically bankrupt take you can possibly make

"well maybe he lied and cheated when he won the election but you see it's all moot because he won"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
"He represents a million people."

but his amount of land area is soooo ssssssssmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaallllll.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think you could come up with a worse three to put on the Oversight Committee in MTG, Gosar, and Boebert

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think you could come up with a worse three to put on the Oversight Committee in MTG, Gosar, and Boebert

Gaetz, Santos, and Gosar maybe.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Angry_Ed posted:

Oh, Santos is on the Oversight Committee. And the Subcommittee on Even More Oversight.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Angry_Ed posted:

Sorry, you mean Santos, Santos and Santos, right?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Alkydere posted:

Sorry, you mean Santos, Santos and Santos, right?

This is like the inverse of that Giant Obama and the Muslim Ascension story from 2010 or so. George Santos, the man who lied himself into godhood and achieved human instrumentality.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
He got Science too
https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1615471570318761984

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Dude is gonna Elon Musk Method his way through hearings.

*nods*

"As I thought"

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

This is just them trolling us at this point.

Like Wyoming proposing a bill to ban electric cars by 2035.
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1615393404052963343

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

i mean its very clear they are gonna use it to try to make stupid insane investigations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://mobile.twitter.com/MarisaKabas/status/1615494258173034497

maybe the civil war hero astronaut who invented the wheel is bad

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Okay, Hochul REALLY wants this LaSalle character as a judge, and if she has to break the Senate's workflow to do it, she will!

https://twitter.com/ChrisBragg1/status/1615500689643388929

Is this guy really worth a state constitutional crisis?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
This really is the most "New York Democrat" thing

along with losing the House because they couldn't stop punching left

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My first instinct is to just assume this is the moderates feeling cornered after the IDC got blown up and now people are saying things like how they cost the party the House, but state politics is often far stupider and more venal than that so we'll see I guess.

At the very least, the question "Just how dedicated to putting conservatives into power no matter the cost ARE these idiots?" has an answer now

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

This really is the most "New York Democrat" thing

along with losing the House because they couldn't stop punching left

There are a number of things I miss from my time living in Albany during grad school. Having to hear about the state house conservadems is emphatically not among them.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I thought that :nixon: looking fuckface Gaetz was due for expulsion and jail already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/17/nyregion/santos-business-committee-space.html

Kevin McCarthy is so dumb it hurts. This is an own goal.

quote:

Even as calls grew for investigations into Representative George Santos and for his resignation, House Republican leadership on Tuesday gave the first-term congressman from New York seats on the Small Business and the Science, Space and Technology Committees, according to a person briefed on the assignments.

The committee placements are the clearest indication yet of the restrained approach with which Republican leaders are treating Mr. Santos amid a growing controversy over falsehoods on the campaign trail and questions about his fund-raising and spending reported last month in The New York Times.

Neither of Mr. Santos’s two committees are seen as plum seats for lawmakers hoping to boost their profile on Capitol Hill, and they are not as highly regarded as the committees he had initially sought: either the House Financial Services or Foreign Affairs Committees. The person briefed on his assignments said that Mr. Santos had requested those positions from Republican leaders.

But the likelihood of Mr. Santos’s getting those posts diminished after he acknowledged misrepresenting his work in finance and after reports cast doubt on aspects of his background, including claims of Jewish ancestry.

Speaker Kevin McCarthy, backed by a razor-thin majority that includes a faction threatening his leadership, has seen some of his delegation join Democrats in their call for Mr. Santos to resign. But Mr. McCarthy, whose bid to become speaker was backed by Mr. Santos, has refused to outwardly criticize him.

Last week, he said he would not push Mr. Santos to resign despite pleas from the Nassau County Republican Party and members of Mr. McCarthy’s own conference.

Mr. McCarthy has suggested that any potential wrongdoing needed to be investigated by the House Ethics Committee, which has been criticized by watchdog groups for being slow-moving. Two Democratic congressmen formally requested such an investigation last week, involving Mr. Santos’s financial disclosure forms.

Might as well make Gaetz speaker.