Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

wedgie deliverer posted:

No idea which discord that message came from, but it’s seems like the leadership/management of this title isn’t keeping up with the quality of the artists/devs and that’s a drat shame because their work is excellent.

It is, unfortunately, Fatshark's established MO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Pesterchum posted:

Don't worry, they're forming the committee to review the recommendations to revise the changes any day now.

these weeks in sweden is when we take off work to go skiing or go to thailand or another warm place that is reasonably priced and we really can and do take weeks off to do that when it suits us, like if you apply for it properly they can't really say no unless you are late to apply and everyone else already did :shrug:

in sweeeden we do it like THIS (popular swedish tourist phrase)

the mistake was releasing the game when they did instead of developing it for 6 more months, everyone knows swedes don't work the last half of december and most of january, they should have taken that into account but hey, gotta release early enough BEFORE christmas so we can patch it a few times before we all gently caress off for a month

not making excuses mind you, this is just how it is

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fishstick posted:

Have you played Vermintide 2?

I'm not assking so I can go "lol you dont know anythign" - but if you do the difference is night and day. If you play V2 after darktide, other than the mix of ranged/melee and the Toughness mechanic, V2 is better in every single way (crafting, progression, stability, player agency, mission selection and choice, career uniqueness, build variety within careers, etc), and its hard to believe that Darktide is in fact the third game, not the second.

And Vermintide 2 already wasn't in the best state, so it's a pretty low bar.

For me it's the performance and stability - I'm on an i5 13600k with an RTX3070 and I can barely manage 60fps without stutters, even though I can see none of my resources are being used close to 100% - even on lowest settings I cant get a stable non stuttery framerate. During beta I was on an i7700k and it wasnt much better, and I crashed once or twice every single mission. It's down to one or two per hour but the random crashes are still the main reason I don't bother playing.

I did, and I remember people complained about V2 when it launched too, but again I didn't really experience the issues. I don't really agree with V2 being better with crafting, I basically didn't touch that at all and didn't really get it to be honest. Not sure what you mean about player agency? Mission selection I suppose in that the levels were all quite different (ignoring Act 2 where 3 of the 4 felt quite similar visually) but I'd say they've done a great job in Darktide getting some visual variety for the 40K setting (limited to a hive city no less) which is usually depicted in much the same style. Hopefully the plan they have is to have the war spread through the system, maybe we'll get jungle settings or some poo poo who knows.

I've ironically had way more crashes with V2 than Darktide, since the beta I've crashed maybe once in launch and that was from my drivers crashing rather than the game. I'd say the 4 different classes in Darktide are as unique as the 5 different characters in V2 at launch.

What resolution are you playing at? I'm getting a solid +90 fps at 3440x1440 with a 3080 10GB and 5900X (ray-tracing off as a recent update makes the game stutter after a while with RT).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Martout posted:

these weeks in sweden is when we take off work to go skiing or go to thailand or another warm place that is reasonably priced and we really can and do take weeks off to do that when it suits us, like if you apply for it properly they can't really say no unless you are late to apply and everyone else already did :shrug:

in sweeeden we do it like THIS (popular swedish tourist phrase)

the mistake was releasing the game when they did instead of developing it for 6 more months, everyone knows swedes don't work the last half of december and most of january, they should have taken that into account but hey, gotta release early enough BEFORE christmas so we can patch it a few times before we all gently caress off for a month

not making excuses mind you, this is just how it is

even if it wasn't sweden, people putting in vacation time in january/february is just a global thing (at least for the northern hemisphere), and doubly so for a team that just released a big product wanting to celebrate with some time off before going back to the crunch, i can't really blame fatshark for being short staffed for those reasons. it's just a shame we're left with an underbaked doughball in the meantime

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

V2 itemization/crafting superiority:

- make any weapon you have unlocked, so you can always play with the weapon you want
- fine tune every individual roll
- "perfect" gear is unnecessary and often functionally identical to imperfect gear, and is easily attainable
- you are rewarded with items after mission success 100% of the time, sometimes with bonus items if you level or complete achievements

Cowcaster posted:

even if it wasn't sweden, people putting in vacation time in january/february is just a global thing (at least for the northern hemisphere), and doubly so for a team that just released a big product wanting to celebrate with some time off before going back to the crunch, i can't really blame fatshark for being short staffed for those reasons. it's just a shame we're left with an underbaked doughball in the meantime

Reasonable people arent upset that people get vacations, they are upset that they scheduled the release of their broken, unfinished game two weeks before those vacations. There was a way to plan this better.

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 17, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

They shouldn't have released the game before Christmas if it was going to in be in this sorry rear end state, it's that simple.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
February is a pretty good month for game releases from what I've seen in the past, probably lines up with the end of vacation time and letting testers run around on a build during that vacation period.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: ^^^^ lol how did you beat me to this?

So, standard caveat that this is just Steam etc etc. but out of curiosity I looked at what VT2 and DT are doing players-wise:

right now, at this moment, VT2 has more players with 7700 vs DT's 6000:

Now, 9 AM EST on a work day etc etc, so maybe there are just more VT2 players in Europe, but still.

The 12-hour peak for both is almost dead on at ~12k players.

Worse, DT is showing about a 50% player base drop in the last month.

What's all the more damning is that DT is the technically superior game (in a moment-to-moment gameplay and graphics sense), and VT2 is a five year old game.

When the previous iteration of your franchise is doing as well or better than the shiny new one you just launched, something's hosed up.

This is doubly hosed up for Fatshark because obviously their revenue model for this game is based on ongoing purchases rather than the initial purchase of the game. You're not going ot sell many fancy skins if only 12k people are playing at any given time.

To put this into perspective, here are the current player counts for some random other games:

Stellaris, a fairly old Paradox strategy game: 15k

Cyberpunk 2077: 25K

This War of Mine, an old indie game: 1.2k

Kerbal Space Program: 3k

Deep Rock Galactic: 14k

Valheim: 35k

Peak hours in Europe (9:45pm UK time).

Darktide - 10,734 current
VT2 - 5,872

VT2 is currently on heavy sale so it's not a huge surprise it's had a bump but it does look like the VT2 population is mostly further east (peaks around 2-3pm UK time, which suggests something around Korea, China, Japan, Australia, etc is the big driver - my money's on the Aussies) and it looks like it's not going to get to 10k any time soon. Darktide gets over15k at peak on the weekends and is much more focused in Euro peak hour timezones.

Obviously still not ideal for Darktide and indicative of problems but DRG "only" getting 5k more at its weekend peak means the game hasn't exactly cratered. DRG might be old but it only really got popular in 2020 - it took years to hit Darktide's current numbers.

As someone who'd rather there was a game left for Fatshark to eventually finish, I'm vaguely reassured it hasn't died off.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Can one of the live service administrators please turn on a condition other than dogs.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Backend issue: D-D-D-DOUBLE DOGS ENABLED!!!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

ijyt posted:

I did, and I remember people complained about V2 when it launched too, but again I didn't really experience the issues. I don't really agree with V2 being better with crafting, I basically didn't touch that at all and didn't really get it to be honest. Not sure what you mean about player agency? Mission selection I suppose in that the levels were all quite different (ignoring Act 2 where 3 of the 4 felt quite similar visually) but I'd say they've done a great job in Darktide getting some visual variety for the 40K setting (limited to a hive city no less) which is usually depicted in much the same style. Hopefully the plan they have is to have the war spread through the system, maybe we'll get jungle settings or some poo poo who knows.

I've ironically had way more crashes with V2 than Darktide, since the beta I've crashed maybe once in launch and that was from my drivers crashing rather than the game. I'd say the 4 different classes in Darktide are as unique as the 5 different characters in V2 at launch.

What resolution are you playing at? I'm getting a solid +90 fps at 3440x1440 with a 3080 10GB and 5900X (ray-tracing off as a recent update makes the game stutter after a while with RT).

V2 Launched with 5 classes, but 3 subclasses for each as well. Those subcareers play as differently as DT's main careers do - IB Bardin is nothing like Ranger Bardin f.e. Calling them equal is being extremely generous.

Mission selection in that you can play any map you want, at any difficulty, whenever. You dont have to wait for a dumb rotation to come around so you can play Against the Grain on Legend.

Map Varietywise that might be subjective but I find V2 has a much larger range of atmospheres and color palettes between individual maps, and more memorable geometry/layouts, than any of the dozen or so industrial corridor collections. Open fields and farmlands of Grain, Greys and narrow corridors in Rats nest, Warping between rickety wooden scaffolding and snowy Norsca and back in Skittergate. The annoying slopes and trees in the green hell that is Atheln, the mine shafts in BILETROLLS. I don't have to look any of these up because they're so memorable. Darktidewise after 150 hours, thematically I can only remember Smelter, and then mostly only the finale. It really doesn't help that Darktide reuses some map setpieces (ie: scanner map elevator holdout, or bridge elevator holdout) in reverse on other maps.

Crafting in that if I want to try out a pickaxe build I can whip one up from scratch and upgrade it with the dust I got from loot from games I played on higher difficulties where the rewards are consistently higher since you get a box every win, then slap any of the skins I found for it from playing missions. I can then reroll it to get the traits I want. In DT you check a store every hour and hope the weapontype is present, and it has good rolls, and it has the right blessings - or you have mats to reroll one of the blessings. Cant break down any of the stuff you have into mats. Don't consistently get rewards after missions, grimoire or not.

Jerkface posted:

Can one of the live service administrators please turn on a condition other than dogs.

Lights out but instead of Daemonhosts it's double Mutants

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Just learned that none of the V2 voice actors voice any of the player voices, but I swear I hear Bardin in one of the Ogryn and Vet voices, Saltzpyre in a zealot voice, Sienna in a psyker voice, Kerillian in like psyker, zealot, and veteran, and Kruber in the vets. What the gently caress. :psyduck:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ijyt posted:

Just learned that none of the V2 voice actors voice any of the player voices, but I swear I hear Bardin in one of the Ogryn and Vet voices, Saltzpyre in a zealot voice, Sienna in a psyker voice, Kerillian in like psyker, zealot, and veteran, and Kruber in the vets. What the gently caress. :psyduck:

They may voice them but with an alias to get around union rules if they cheaped out and went non-union voice talent (due to needing more of it by having 6 voices per character) kind of like how steven blum has like 5 aliases

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
One of the most baffling things about this game is that my PC technically doesn't hit the minimum specs for the game. It still runs fine if I lock it to 30FPS and turn off a lot of the visual effects--which I do anyway because I'm the kind of gamer that played my entirety of VT2 at max FOV which caused a fish eye effect that I'm actually really fond of now because it's so weird--but in terms of crashes and graphical performance, I actually crash considerably less than all of my other friends who have PCs of various qualities across the entire mid to high spectrum.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The Demilich posted:

They shouldn't have released the game before Christmas if it was going to in be in this sorry rear end state, it's that simple.

This.

You don't promise someone you'll make them a meal when you know you're leaving the house in 10 minutes then leave some dry pasta sauce. The paid cosmetics removes all doubt that it was malicious and it'll kill the game in the long run because who the gently caress is gonna buy a DLC that will come out very soon when they haven't even fixed the base game? Tencent is gonna see the games not profitable and cut their losses while removing support and we'll see some really broken DLC's try to milk the last of it before DT is just another 80% sale game.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Sab Sabbington posted:

One of the most baffling things about this game is that my PC technically doesn't hit the minimum specs for the game. It still runs fine if I lock it to 30FPS and turn off a lot of the visual effects--which I do anyway because I'm the kind of gamer that played my entirety of VT2 at max FOV which caused a fish eye effect that I'm actually really fond of now because it's so weird--but in terms of crashes and graphical performance, I actually crash considerably less than all of my other friends who have PCs of various qualities across the entire mid to high spectrum.

its like how sometimes with flu having a weak immune system is safer, their weird hosed up engine actually turns the computer's specs against it

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I have a theory there's some fx that doesn't work right and weaker systems turn it off by default. I'm also pretty sure it's related to lighting.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mendrian posted:

I have a theory there's some fx that doesn't work right and weaker systems turn it off by default. I'm also pretty sure it's related to lighting.

Just anecdotally, I've got a 6900 XT, 32 GB of very fast RAM, and an M.2 SSD, but a fairly middling CPU (Ryzen 5 5600X). I've only crashed once in 118 hours during an actual game, and I think that was because the servers were making GBS threads themselves. The game was lagging, other people in the game were crashing etc. I crash regularly on the initial load, but basically never if the game starts up properly. My buddy has a rig with a much better CPU and inferior everything else, he crashes regularly and apparently randomly. I think I hit the exact right hardware combination somehow.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Jerkface posted:

They may voice them but with an alias to get around union rules if they cheaped out and went non-union voice talent (due to needing more of it by having 6 voices per character) kind of like how steven blum has like 5 aliases

They (Sienna, Kruber and Saltzpyre) voice Inquisitor Grendyll, I believe. That plus a bunch of bit parts (of which the voices of Kerillian and Bardin are some).

Also, Franz Lohner's VA is the Medicae Servitor.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 18, 2023

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Mendrian posted:

https://gameslantern.com/article/darktide-rtx-is-always-on-even-if-you-turned-it-off-in-the-settings-here-is-how-to-fix-it

Try this

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I thought they fixed this in a hotpatch already? Maybe I misremembered

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/KXEzPuv.mp4

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Kokoro Wish posted:

They (Sienna, Kruber and Saltzpyre) voice Inquisitor Grendyll, I believe. That plus a bunch of bit parts (of which the voices of Kerillian and Bardin are some).

Also, Franz Lohner's VA is the Medicae Servitor.

I really thought the brawler Ogryn was Bardin's voice actor but after checking the IMDB it's a different name and Bardin's VO is listed as a few others.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

40 Proof Listerine posted:

3000 series NVIDIA cards are anecdotally the ones crashing the most

I have a 3070ti and I have about 1 crash log per hour played

I have a 2060 and crashed once during pre-release beta and not once since launch.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Did anyone else find it a little disappointing that all weapons looked the exact same in DT when VT2 on release had about a dozen to a half a dozen weapon variations per weapon type with something shiny and glowy for the rarest weapons?
There's the (two) weapon skins in the shop per weapon, but you're not exactly going to be spending your early coin on those for a black/red paint job when you need new weapons and the VT2 weapon skins weren't just paint jobs, they were entirely new models in most cases and you didn't have to just pay to unlock them from a store, you'd get them randomly.
The in-game currency skins do sometimes have minor model changes but the ones with more unique models are, unsurprisingly, cash shop skins.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

S.J. posted:

I thought they fixed this in a hotpatch already? Maybe I misremembered

Yeah, that was definitely a launch bug, but I also thought they'd at least managed to hotfix that one before xmas.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm having a lot of fun with this. Me and some IRL friends are running characters through every few nights.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Darktide was my first fatshark game, really fun but I gave up after not being able to matchmake games of 5 difficulty consistently. Had an IRL friend play at the beginning but he left after grinding two chars to 30 and endgame grind put him off. I was shocked to learn how incompetent these developers are after reading all about other tide games from reddit etc. Gameplay is unique and fun and everything else sucks, as stated ad nauseum everywhere.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The thing that's crazy to me is there's even stuff that we know did work that they could presumably re-enable to at least give it a bit more variety right? They have the lights out modifier and then there was another one that made everything foggy/misty, ventilation purge I think it was called? Not a huge thing but it'd be something at least. Instead it's just been dogs, dogs, dogs for weeks. I'd assume that'd be something they wouldn't need patches for, it'd just be an autorunning thing that cycles but apparently not?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah that's super weird for me too. I think i've played maybe one lights out mission, if it was up more often i might actually log on once in a while.

For now, it's shelved until they get back off of holiday and start grinding out content again.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

The thing that's crazy to me is there's even stuff that we know did work that they could presumably re-enable to at least give it a bit more variety right? They have the lights out modifier and then there was another one that made everything foggy/misty, ventilation purge I think it was called? Not a huge thing but it'd be something at least. Instead it's just been dogs, dogs, dogs for weeks. I'd assume that'd be something they wouldn't need patches for, it'd just be an autorunning thing that cycles but apparently not?

I really miss those, but apparently both got a ton of complaints? Power outage was atmospheric as gently caress, the glowing eyes :discourse: Reminded me of the mines mission in V2.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Lights out while fun made the difficulty basically one higher from what i felt

Pubs couldnt handle it and not having easy light sources on weapons made it frustrating for a lot of people.

Hell you got more daemonhost spawns just to top it off

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Lights out while fun made the difficulty basically one higher from what i felt

Pubs couldnt handle it and not having easy light sources on weapons made it frustrating for a lot of people.

Hell you got more daemonhost spawns just to top it off

:sickos:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Loved seeing the flashlight beams in the dark, reminded me of the atmosphere in Left4Dead

Passburger
May 4, 2013

ijyt posted:

If Lohner isn't the voice of the medicae-station then I don't know what is. Can also confirm that Sienna must be one of the psyker voices.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
None of the voice actors from VT2 voice the playable classes in Darktide unless both Fatshark and the actors lied about it. They put out a whole article crediting all of the actors voicing the Darktide personalities and none of them were the Vermintide 2 ones.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Passburger posted:

If Lohner isn't the voice of the medicae-station then I don't know what is. Can also confirm that Sienna must be one of the psyker voices.

If it isn't the same voice actor as Sienna on one of the psykers, it's someone trying to copy that voice actor and doing it perfectly.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The best part about Lights Out was the daemonhosts, since one way to wake up daemonhosts without stepping on them or shooting them is shining a flashlight at them

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Thoughts on these swords for my Psyker? I think the attacks on the MKII are a little better , I think the main question is if I'll miss the mobility. Both Blessings are good I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNqlrJ4Thjo