Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Investigative journalism is expensive and needs a good legal team (also expensive), and doesn't sit well with capital. But you know what does? Ragebait opinions driving ad revenue and rewording press releases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not sure if there is any investigative journalism in the MSM these days.
Just about every article by someone being paid to do a journalism is just a stream of "Reddit user @mrblobby said this meanwhile Twitter user NameLotsofNumbers said that" strings of quotes from both of those esteemed outlets.

I am not being paid to do a journalism.

Well, there's Reuters and the Associated Press, I guess, who are where most media organisations get their real news from. They're not commonly thought of as 'mainstream media', but they underpin the vast majority of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the closest thing to an investigative journalist would be like, I dunno, dan olson on youtube doing big video essays on relevant social issues and scams like crypto and hustle bros.

Seems like everywhere else can't go further than commenting on "controversial" alleged sex traffickers called Andrew after the fact.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Interestingly, I put that new Finnish word into google translate (but typing ae instead of a with an umlaut as I was too lazy to figure out how to do umlauts on my keyboard and it 'detected language' as Hindi!

(When I told it specifically it was Finnish, it offered me an umlauted spelling and translated kalsarikännit in Finnish to calsarikans in English whatever they are some kind of South Afrikaans made of chalk?)

Google has slowly and steadily declined into complete incoherent nonsense when it comes to anything at all in Finnish. It's genuinely unusable these days.

Kalsarikännit is from "kalsarit" for underwear - long johns, generally - and "känni" which just means drunkenness.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also ae for ä doesn't make any sense in Finnish.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ndroidApp_Other

quote:

Under a further change to the bill, video footage that shows people crossing the Channel in small boats in a “positive light” will be added to a list of illegal content that all tech platforms must proactively prevent from reaching users.

Seriously, gently caress these absolute shits

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

endlessmonotony posted:

Also ae for ä doesn't make any sense in Finnish.

Ah ok. I just googled about it and apparently making ä into ae is gibberish LOL

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

quote:

Under a further change to the bill, video footage that shows people crossing the Channel in small boats in a “positive light” will be added to a list of illegal content that all tech platforms must proactively prevent from reaching users.
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ndroidApp_Other

Seriously, gently caress these absolute shits

Dunkirk suddenly becomes illegal.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ah ok. I just googled about it and apparently making ä into ae is gibberish LOL

Ask a Swede about Stargåte sometime

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lmao at even Scottish Labour, basically Castle Blairskull, being too left wing for Starmer's Labour.

Ben loving Bradshaw voted against Starmer

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Good god. Hopefully some of the less frothingly mad Lords wont let that lie.

The best thing about the Guardian was always Steve Bell.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tesseraction posted:

For a moment I tried to imagine an Indian-Finnish War. That would be something, but I guess India has had to deal with the Mongols in the past.

It's disappointing that the Raj didn't declare war on Finland around the same time as South Africa and New Zealand did it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

"you gotta have the fangs"

- the law of the land

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

honestly I put the grauniad shift down to Katherine Viner, she went to Australia, got Murdochian brainworms and then came back to make our most annoying liberal paper idiot TERF central

She’s also shagging Adrian Chiles

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

She’s also shagging Adrian Chiles

everyone has one redeeming feature

(seriously the TF Britainology episode where they interview him genuinely made me really like the guy, he'll be the first to admit his columns are shite

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

have we addressed the dangers of second-hand cake? https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1615446912307453974

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jesus https://twitter.com/merovingians/status/1615440870676877312

at least big john showed up

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Tesseraction posted:

have we addressed the dangers of second-hand cake? https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1615446912307453974

Yes. It's a lie.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
There's a guy at my office whose job is basically to furnish the department with cake. Tomorrow morning I'm going to accuse him of attempted mass murder

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/MccarthyFintan/status/1614990496350314497

Jezza caused my heart attack.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
thats one way of looking at it

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Albinator posted:

Dunkirk suddenly becomes illegal.

Actually officer I think you'll find it's a little ship, not a small boat. Wait where are you taking me!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Strong "just a couple of lines of coke" vibes from Rafael in that video.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

have you ever taken cocaine?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Call me old-fashioned but cocaine is the preserve of the Tory boy and Yuppie and always will be.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

have you ever taken cocaine?

NJAN99 you seem confrontational today

did you drop a brick on your toe or something

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EmptyVessel posted:

Call me old-fashioned but cocaine is the preserve of the Tory boy and Yuppie and always will be.

It's the most popular drug in the country mate. I did it like 4 days ago

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve never got the appeal of stimulants. I just want to chill the gently caress out not get even more wound up.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

NJAN99 you seem confrontational today

did you drop a brick on your toe or something

yeah sorry.

I sold all my bricks on ebay. just felt like poo poo i think from inhaling insulation dust or something.

Theres something else I'd rather be inhaling

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

yeah sorry.

I sold all my bricks on ebay. just felt like poo poo i think from inhaling insulation dust or something.

The smoke produced by a burning Tesla?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I drank a red bull once and felt horrifically awake. Dread to think what cocaine would do.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

drugs forkboy

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

yeah sorry.

Start bagging and selling plaster dust to students, then flip that extra cash into buying charlie

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rarity posted:

I believe that's alcohol, tea, and nonceing

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Rarity posted:

Have you seen the state of this country? I rest my case.

I tried coke during my acidhead period and frankly it was boring and overpriced. Better value out of a half tab and a small line of clean methamphetamine.
Best description I've heard was from a young trainee doctor I met at a friends party a few years ago, "You know when there's coke in the room cos everything gets turned up to 11, especially the treble". He'd originally approached me as a likely looking connection for a trip, hooked him up with a friend who had a bunch of dried mushrooms and we had a nice chat about various ways of getting altered.

Do what you like (responsibly!) just be aware of the sort of company you're in.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

just one upping each others drug stories.

thats not a drug... THATS a drug

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Hahaha
In pefect synchronicity whatever is on the background radio right now just identified John Craven as the Drug Kingpin of Britain.

^^^^preferable to stories about overpriced tech toys for boys any rate.

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 18, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I don't do drugs because I'm a good boy.

Also drugs are expensive, I can't afford to be an addict

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Look Behr is just sincerely explaining that while Starmer may be a slippery London lawyer type whose word is unreliable, it's all ok as he is good with money.

No heart attacks here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

EmptyVessel posted:

^^^^preferable to stories about overpriced tech toys for boys any rate.

Who is telling these?