Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

Loved the acting, the atmosphere, and the first 20ish minutes, regardless what was taken from the game, is one of the best zombie openers I’ve ever seen. It was a better version of the only decent scene in World War Z.

I loved the game. This just works just as well and I can’t wait to see more. Sucks it sucks for you.

The HBO port of Last of Us is just way too easy, you basically only have to hit one button to get to the end.

not my joke but I couldn't find the original tweet I read it in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Everything TLoU related reeks to me of a younger sibling trying desperately to score a seat at the big kids table and I refuse to give it any attention on that basis alone

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Everything TLoU related reeks to me of a younger sibling trying desperately to score a seat at the big kids table and I refuse to give it any attention on that basis alone

same honestly. i got the game for free when i bought my ps4 and just gave it away unplayed. unpleasant energy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like relating with people.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think I realize now what really turned me off to The Last of Us - it was sold to me as a video game that wants to be a movie, which is already obnoxious, but actually it's even worse: it's a video game that wants to be prestige TV

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

TLoU feels like a franchise that would call itself “elevated Zombie horror”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s the walking dead. The last of us kicks rear end bc it has cool monsters and a good plot. Which most video games should

More movie games

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The best "Cinematic" video game is Until Dawn because it's basically three 2000s teen horror flicks crammed together haphazardly.

Slasher? Yep.
Ghosts? At least a couple.
Monsters? Those as well.

Schlock but in a fun way.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I am playing Evil Genius 2 and locking my little sims in the gold vault.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I can’t stand video games that are filled with cut scenes. I want to play video games not watch them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yoohoo posted:

I can’t stand video games that are filled with cut scenes. I want to play video games not watch them.

I used to feel this way until I played Yakuza 0

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I play a new video game every 3 years. I dont mind cut scenes

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think I realize now what really turned me off to The Last of Us - it was sold to me as a video game that wants to be a movie, which is already obnoxious, but actually it's even worse: it's a video game that wants to be prestige TV

I think it’s even more pathetic than that honestly, the people who made TLoU want the acknowledgement of hazing made ~great art~ without actually giving a poo poo about making anything artistic, which is why after a decade+ of banging the cinematic video games drum they immediately dropped the whole format to do what is, from what I hear, a 1:1 remake of the games cut scenes in the first medium that would have them. It’s got no fuckin’ self respect!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hell Yeah.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Absolutely loving my first time through yakuza 0 currently

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Here’s the article about the adaptation of TLOU, which some might find interesting.

Also, The Straight Story is an absolute masterpiece and one of my favourite films.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Straight Story owns so hard

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
With link…https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/01/02/can-the-last-of-us-break-the-curse-of-bad-video-game-adaptations

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My late father in law really liked the vibe and design for the Lynch Dune, but acknowledged the movie as a whole stunk. He would have loved DUNC.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fwiw I think the first two-thirds of the first game are whatever but then the last third and all of the sequel are loving great and easily the best storytelling in the AAA video game space (obv lots of indie games have better writing but I feel like it’s more impressive to have good writing and also be super high tech idk, anyway anyone who likes good writing should check out Kentucky Route Zero)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

The Straight Story owns so hard

Is it faithful to the video game?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ruddiger posted:

It’s got more explosions and gunfights

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ruddiger posted:

They wouldn't let Lynch go with his original title - Lawnmower Simulator:The Movie

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

They wouldn't let Lynch go with his original title - Lawnmower Simulator:The Movie

:golfclap:

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I need to finish Yakuza 0 sometime, it owns.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Visual Effects Society nominated the exploding dick scene from The Boys.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i have watched 16 Jean-Claude Van Damme movies in the last 40 days and that has been one of my favorites.
The theater was showing hard target tonight and it kicked immense loving rear end, jcvd roundhouses should be their own genre of poetry (especially with how woo films them)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I haven’t seen a van damme movie in a long time, I checked his Wikipedia to see if he was cancelled or something, I’m happy to report that he seems ok.

But I like these quotes:

quote:

Van Damme's lawyer, Martin Singer, responded, "There are records to document his martial arts acclaim. Why, just look at his movies; he didn't get those roles on his acting ability! He's the one who does those splits on chairs. He doesn't have a stuntman to do that."

quote:

Stallone finished by stating "Van Damme was too strong. Seagal wanted none of it."

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Last of Us games are good but they are good in spite of director Neil Druckmann, who was showered with Director of the Year awards towards the end of 2020 for forcing his workers through extreme crunch, and allowing sexual harassment to go down on his watch, for seven years, and only then was he able to get out the door a twelve-hour game from which he had cut the multiplayer. He is a big ugly goon and I want to squash his face.

They have always had an air of insecurity about them for how obviously they want to be adapted into another medium, and I can totally get finding the end results of either the game or the TV show repulsive as a result, but they are well-executed examples on each side which is enough for me to wash the Cowboys and Aliens taste out of my mouth.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEDvfG4huJs

I just caught the tail end of The One on Cinemax, and the last part of this scene will never not be funny to me. I was weeping with laughter when I saw it in the theater. It’s just so over the top turn of the century Hollywood action movie lunacy, right down to the choice of song.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

and allowing sexual harassment to go down on his watch, for seven years

Gonna need a source for this one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

For some reason I thought Last of Us was by David Cage: that French dude who did Detroit: Become Human, Omicron: Nomad Souls, Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophesy , and Heavy: Rain.

Turns out I was thinking about something called Beyond: Two Souls another game about a teenage girl and a old guy getting into spooky adventures.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Specifically a teenage girl directly modeled after Elliot Page, also

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Beyond: Two Souls also featured a completely nude model of Elliot Page in the game files that was made without his permission. Also, David Cage and Quantic Dream have had pretty severe sexual harassment allegations beyond that.

yoohoo posted:

Once you see Ansem the Wise (not to be confused with the other Ansem, who was Ansem’s assistant who took on the name Ansem to make people think Ansem was the one setting the Heartless loose) decide to kill himself along with his machine that’s converting Kingdom Hearts into data and say with the voice of Christopher Lee “Mickey, my friend,” you’ll want more cutscenes in video games.

Kingdom Hearts II gave me brain damage.

Pirate Jet posted:

The Last of Us games are good but they are good in spite of director Neil Druckmann, who was showered with Director of the Year awards towards the end of 2020 for forcing his workers through extreme crunch, and allowing sexual harassment to go down on his watch, for seven years, and only then was he able to get out the door a twelve-hour game from which he had cut the multiplayer. He is a big ugly goon and I want to squash his face.

Don’t forget forcing his employees to look at photos of real-life gore to make the violence in TLOU2 more realistic.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's insane how Kingdom Hearts and its Disney-Final Fantasy crossover idea eventually evolved (devolved?) into whatever it is now.

I just hope they end up on Pandora eventually.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Disney was so protective of Mickey Mouse that they mandated he could only appear in one scene in KH1, in his original attire. But the game was so popular, Disney let Nomura have free reign, so when you see him in KH2 he’s wearing a leather trenchcoat and talking about the Doorway to Darkness with Squall from FFVIII.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Disney was so protective of Mickey Mouse that they mandated he could only appear in one scene in KH1, in his original attire. But the game was so popular, Disney let Nomura have free reign, so when you see him in KH2 he’s wearing a leather trenchcoat and talking about the Doorway to Darkness with Squall from FFVIII.

Funny because what i keep hearing (though this was never confirmed) is that the reason why from KH2 onwards they stuck to completely OC villains and limiting most Disney characters to sub Space Jam 2 level window dressing is because they were so fed up with having to deal with Disney's brand police that they decided to avoid them as much as possible.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The MSJ posted:

It's insane how Kingdom Hearts and its Disney-Final Fantasy crossover idea eventually evolved (devolved?) into whatever it is now.

I just hope they end up on Pandora eventually.

Can trace some of the blips back to Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/schmvngpctrs/status/1469780394891309059