Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Genchat refresh for the new year

Old thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

First

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm gonna watch a stupid amount of films this year or die trying

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Bones and All is fantastic. That's all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I resolve to watch more movies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I still like movies in 2023

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
FIRST PAGE :cheers:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm gonna watch a stupid amount of films this year or die trying
having a bookshelf of untouched dvds and blus ftl

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why would you BUY a movie you haven't seen??

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I am going to watch The Fabelmans today.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Jay Rust posted:

Why would you BUY a movie you haven't seen??

I do it literally all the time.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I might end up start this year of movies tomorrow with a double bill of Psycho and... Psycho. I've never seen the entirety of the original, so it's time to fix that. And what better companion piece than a movie that I've heard that is quite like it?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Seeing Avatar 2 in theaters tomorrow for my first movie of 23.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

2023 is The Year of the Movie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I do it literally all the time.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I blind bought Vanishing Point and it’s one of my favorite films, full stop.

I almost blind-bought The Northman a half dozen times and now that I’ve seen it, I wish I had because it rules.

Some of my favorite movies (including the first 7 The Fast and the Furious) I own were highly, specifically recommended blind-buys.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mierenneuker posted:

I might end up start this year of movies tomorrow with a double bill of Psycho and... Psycho. I've never seen the entirety of the original, so it's time to fix that. And what better companion piece than a movie that I've heard that is quite like it?

I think Soderbergh did a fan edit of the two movies together for some reason.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Goal this year is to finish watching all movies in AFI's Top 100 movies
https://www.afi.com/afis-100-years-100-movies-10th-anniversary-edition/

I started my attempt a few year ago and just stopped for the longets time. Got back into it a few months ago watching 10 moives

I have 41 left to watch which isn't that many. It's just hard to find the time and real focus/concertration. I watch watch them not have them on in the background.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My goal this year is to finish the latest Sight & Sound top 100. I only have 11 left now, I just came out of watching The Leopard. Very glad I went to see it on the big screen as it is incredibly beautiful, and Lancaster’s performance was exceptional, but definitely the kind of film I enjoy reading about afterwards more than actually watching lol.

Remaining (^ means I have on hand at home, * means I have a ticked booked to see it at the BFI):

1. Shoah^
2. The Piano^
3. Daughters of the Dust^
4. The Red Shoes^
5. Imitation of Life
6. Sansho the Bailiff
7. Celine and Julie Go Boating*
8. A Matter of Life and Death*
9. Histoire(s) du Cinema
10. The Earrings of Madame de…*
11. Once Upon a Time in the West*

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If I had know the Whitney Houston movie was written by the guy who did Bohemian Rhapsody I would not have seen it, as it was though It was still emotionally affecting despite all the poor choices in the movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watched Svengoolie hosting Earth Vs The Spider as my last movie of 2022. Gonna watch GDT’s Pinocchio to kick off this year. Feliz año nuevo mi amigos.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 1, 2023

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Excited for cinema to be back, again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cinema will definitely be back if Dune Part Two doesn’t get delayed

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

If I had know the Whitney Houston movie was written by the guy who did Bohemian Rhapsody I would not have seen it, as it was though It was still emotionally affecting despite all the poor choices in the movie.

Thanks for letting me know. I thought BR was utter garbage so I’ll avoid it. Probably would have anyway

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
Movies are pretty good imo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

therattle posted:

Thanks for letting me know. I thought BR was utter garbage so I’ll avoid it. Probably would have anyway

It was almost surreal how poo poo BR was, felt like a parody skit throughout and just super dull and obviously bowdlerised.

Will probably watch the Whitney one if it's on a plane or something, otherwise nah

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

josh04 posted:

Excited for cinema to be back, again.

Glad for it to be back again (again)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm not quite up to a top 10 but I've seen some good ones last year, rough order:

Everything Everywhere All At Once
Nope
The Fabelmans
Top Gun Maverick
Crimes of the Future
Glass Onion
1,000 Years of Longing
Northman
Turning Red

And uh, for the moment- Deadstream

Still a lot I've got to catch up on so my real Top 10 is usually in March or so

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

twernt posted:

Movies are pretty good imo.

I like both types. Good and bad.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ynohtna posted:

I like both types. Good and bad.

Chainsaw man manga spoiler:

https://i.imgur.com/u5Y309D.png

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
random question are all movie awards first past the post or preferential? i just noticed all the SA awards for games, movies, television etc. are preferential because its a better system overall but do any actual awards use this methodology?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We should do an actual 2023 movie poll at the end of this year like the Games and TVIV ones

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sorcerer was the best movie I saw in 2022 so this is a reminder that Sorcerer rules.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

It was almost surreal how poo poo BR was, felt like a parody skit throughout and just super dull and obviously bowdlerised.

Will probably watch the Whitney one if it's on a plane or something, otherwise nah

The most surreal part was how well-received it was. 7.9 on IMDB! 3.4 on Letterboxed! We watched half and had to stop. It was utterly dreadful.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I got to see Sorcerer on 35mm before it got a wide release on blu, I’m really glad they were able to clear up the music licensing rights to get that film out there again.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Was there Fabelmans discussion anywhere? Just finished it and it's certainly got a lot to it. What do people think about the ditch day film and making the jock look good? It feels like the movie gives us a number of different directions to go. I'm not completely settled yet, but I'm thinking something like this is Spielberg trying to literally edit the antisemitism (or at least a kind of it) out of the US for his own self-preservation. It's like the way he edits the shots of his mom and Benny out of the camping trip: he's trying to get rid of something he doesn't want to be there. But also, as the final scene with his dad shows, it's still there and always was.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There is a mockumentary from the 90's called Dadetown that's just entirely unavailable to watch. You can't stream it, you can't buy it in any format, and you can't pirate it. How does a movie reviewed by Roger Ebert just entirely disappear??

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There is a mockumentary from the 90's called Dadetown that's just entirely unavailable to watch. You can't stream it, you can't buy it in any format, and you can't pirate it. How does a movie reviewed by Roger Ebert just entirely disappear??

https://archive.org/details/dadetown-1995

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

Was there Fabelmans discussion anywhere? Just finished it and it's certainly got a lot to it. What do people think about the ditch day film and making the jock look good? It feels like the movie gives us a number of different directions to go. I'm not completely settled yet, but I'm thinking something like this is Spielberg trying to literally edit the antisemitism (or at least a kind of it) out of the US for his own self-preservation. It's like the way he edits the shots of his mom and Benny out of the camping trip: he's trying to get rid of something he doesn't want to be there. But also, as the final scene with his dad shows, it's still there and always was.

I feel like he almost can't help it- the guy sucks but the camera makes him look godlike and him being the hero of the beach is just the natural narrative of the film. It's that idea of the filmmaker not always being in full control, the camera sees what it sees (even if it's not the truth.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like he almost can't help it- the guy sucks but the camera makes him look godlike and him being the hero of the beach is just the natural narrative of the film. It's that idea of the filmmaker not always being in full control, the camera sees what it sees (even if it's not the truth.)

Yeah. And some part of him wishes that he was the golden All-American and not the Jewish outsider. And also that his desire to make a great film - to find a hero, a lead to focus on - would overcome his personal dislike. He did what he thought was best for the film, not himself.

I loved the Lynch casting as “greatest living director”, and what it says about Spielberg’s view of Lynch, and that Lynch was happy to appear in Spielberg’s film. It suggested mutual respect to me.

I really, really liked it.