Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Time is a flat circle.

I told you guys, everyone hates their OC no matter how good they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
To be fair, if you don't hate your OC then they're either going to leave in a year or two to get a HC gig, or they'll regress and coast on previous success until they're finally fired.

Good OCs don't stay good OCs. They regress to bad OCs or become HCs.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Unless you're Eric Bieniemy who just uh, remains around. Somehow.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LiquidFriend posted:

Unless you're Eric Bieniemy who just uh, remains around. Somehow.

I’m not sure anyone ever even bothered to interview Pete Carmichael.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m not sure anyone ever even bothered to interview Pete Carmichael.

I sometimes doubt he's real

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Colts interviewing literally everyone.

https://twitter.com/toddarcher/status/1615459603642212352?s=46&t=Z211nJe8ve9x-NSB_Mp-sA

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Desperate attempt by Ballard to find irsay a new drinking buddy so Saturday doesn’t stick around

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Diva Cupcake posted:

Colts interviewing literally everyone.

I'm convinced they're only doing this so they can hire Saturday and go "see, we did our due diligence"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Maybe Irsay is really enamored with one of next year's QBs, or he is willing to tank the franchise for the next few years for Arch Manning.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Benne posted:

I'm convinced they're only doing this so they can hire Saturday and go "see, we did our due diligence"

I dunno, I don’t think Ballard wants to hire Saturday so he’s either actually doing his job or trying his damnedest to distract Irsay with someone else or just run out the clock until Irsay gets high again and loses focus and Ballard can do what he wants.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Ballard absolutely does not want to hire Saturday. My guess is Irsay would like to, but won't force the issue if Ballard feels strongly about another good candidate.

Not interested in Quinn though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Reunite Dan Quinn and Matt Ryan, what can go wrong?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

mcmagic posted:

I told you guys, everyone hates their OC no matter how good they are.

Actually for the first time in a while I'm quite happy with the Giants OC

Though I'm still unsure how much of this season was on Kafka and how much was Daboll

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Febreeze posted:

Though I'm still unsure how much of this season was on Kafka and how much was Daboll

When Kafka eventually leaves and the Giants offense improves/gets worse by a meaningless percentage, then you'll know you would have won multiple Super Bowls if only Kafka had been fired/replaced Daboll years ago.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Febreeze posted:

Kafka's a Reid guy (only a few years into his career obviously), Dabolls been around forever but I think mostly coaching under Belichick or his extended tree in one fashion or another until he got to Buffalo.

Not sure how much that matters one way or the other but I think I might roll the dice on Kafka being a big part of the Giants not being rear end on offense.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
remember the time the Reid-era Eagles tried to make Kafka a QC coach while he was still on the practice squad as a QB so other teams couldn't poach him

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Daboll's had a fairly long career, and is a pretty good reason to give a guy.... a 4th chance. Not quite sure what the Dolphins and Chiefs were doing though.

Graduate assistant 97-99
Patriots - Defensive assistant 00-01
Patriots - WR coach 02-06
Jets - QB coach 07-08
<here there be dragons>
Browns - OC 09-10 (some of the worst offenses in the league)
Dolphins - OC 11 (20th ranked, up from 30th the year before)
Chiefs - OC 12 (from 31st to dead last)
<demotion time>
Patriots - TE Coach 13-16
Alabama - OC 17
Bills - OC 18-21

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Kafka's a Reid guy (only a few years into his career obviously), Dabolls been around forever but I think mostly coaching under Belichick or his extended tree in one fashion or another until he got to Buffalo.

Daboll has been with a LOT of teams. Most years accumulated with the Pats, but he bounced around quite a bit.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If your team is bad it's the OC's fault

If your team is good the OC is holding them back

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

indigi posted:

remember the time the Reid-era Eagles tried to make Kafka a QC coach while he was still on the practice squad as a QB so other teams couldn't poach him

Remember when Kafka ran for a then-Big-Ten-Record 217 yards against the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Benne posted:

If your team is bad it's the OC's fault

If your team is good the OC is holding them back

For the Packers it’s the defensive coordinator

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Daboll has been with a LOT of teams. Most years accumulated with the Pats, but he bounced around quite a bit.

Yeah he's definitely bounced around a lot but he's got multiple years other than with Belichick coaching for Nick Saban or Eric Mangini or Romeo Crennell. There's a lot of that coaching tree involved for him.

I mean the recent results are excellent, just saying there's a whole lot of that going on here.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah he's definitely bounced around a lot but he's got multiple years other than with Belichick coaching for Nick Saban or Eric Mangini or Romeo Crennell. There's a lot of that coaching tree involved for him.

I mean the recent results are excellent, just saying there's a whole lot of that going on here.

Yeah, Daboll's a pretty good example of why you need to give ~*retreads*~ second chances, because anyone would want him exiled to siberia after that Browns - Dolphins - Chiefs run, but welp.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

Yeah, Daboll's a pretty good example of why you need to give ~*retreads*~ second chances, because anyone would want him exiled to siberia after that Browns - Dolphins - Chiefs run, but welp.

I mean, he did get demoted and spent 3 years convalescing in Foxboro and then went down to college to prove he could call plays.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I mean, he did get demoted and spent 3 years convalescing in Foxboro and then went down to college to prove he could call plays.

When Kingsbury gets back from Thailand he should definitely go on the Saban reclamation tour, it seems to be very lucrative.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Kalli posted:

Sometimes they do actually learn and adapt too. Like for instance, he was never terrible but Dan Quinn does seem to have incorporated some new ideas into the way he runs defenses these days.

Not all the retreads are doomed to be mediocre forever.

Even for the good ones like Andy Reid sometimes it’s literally just a change of scenery and all the pieces fall into place.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

SKULL.GIF posted:

And that's the exact resume we would all (rightfully) make fun of if

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

Remember when Kafka ran for a then-Big-Ten-Record 217 yards against the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

no but now I’m going to look up highlights thanks

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Woozie66 posted:

And that's the exact resume we would all (rightfully) make fun of if

He spent four years in Buffalo over which Josh Allen went from probably bust to top 3 QB. That seems a lot more relevant than what happened 7 years ago.

The issue isn’t really retreads, it’s guys getting fired for being bad and almost immediately getting hired to do the same job somewhere else. Going back down a few rungs and working your way back up is a good thing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I wish archive was easier to search, it'd be pretty fun to go see the response to the Dolphins / Chiefs hiring Daboll back then.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

indigi posted:

Your thinking of Nagy in 2009. Kolb had an injury, and the Eagles didn't want to risk Feeley or McNabb in the final preseason game. The NFL let them sign Nagy (who had previously played in the AFL) and then changed their mind the next day. Either because Nagy was technically still under contract to his AFL team, or because the league didn't want teams hiding players in their coaching ranks.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1615482713275867137?t=R1zznzcMPesthVvQHt6_ug&s=19

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

syzpid posted:

Your thinking of Nagy in 2009. Kolb had an injury, and the Eagles didn't want to risk Feeley or McNabb in the final preseason game. The NFL let them sign Nagy (who had previously played in the AFL) and then changed their mind the next day. Either because Nagy was technically still under contract to his AFL team, or because the league didn't want teams hiding players in their coaching ranks.

gently caress that was so long ago

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He spent four years in Buffalo over which Josh Allen went from probably bust to top 3 QB. That seems a lot more relevant than what happened 7 years ago.

Oh I meant when he was hired in Buffalo. That would be the step we would've all ripped on the hire. He obviously was a worthy candidate last summer.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Alright, I'm gonna throw up one final update tonight since it looks like Staley and Bowles are staying, and then shift this thread's focus to hiring season. New thread title suggestions while I'm out?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cool, no more Patriots Way bullshit. 49ers seem to keep a good team together, so I'm happy with this.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The Football Funhouse › NFL Hot Seat Watch 2023 - Justified executions and unlikely survivals

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! Staley Alive!

This sucks, I know

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The Football Funhouse › NFL Hot Seat Watch 2023 - One way tickets to Thailand ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The Football Funhouse › NFL Hot Seat Watch 2023 - Jeff Saturday Is Still An Option