Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

coldpudding posted:

It spreads

You can't escape the cabinets, you try to go outside but the door just leads to another bigger room full of more cabinets, you look down at your hands and realize that you are now made of cabinets too.

CRAPPY_CONSTR.WAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
It was too well done for me to notice the first time :golfclap:
Comedy answer: No, the other one.

VelociBacon posted:

People in like NYC are (even before 9/11) 10000x times more looking out for other people than Canadians. I don't know where the stereotype comes from (probably from the small towns where everyone knows everyone else). I moved in April last year and I don't know my neighbor's names.
Canadian internet comedians Loading Ready Run were talking about the myth of Canadian Politeness with a guy from Texas and one from New York and explained it as "Americans think Canadians are polite because they're historically bad at understanding passive aggressiveness or when they're in danger." They're of the opinion that if a "nice" person saw someone injured on the street, they wouldn't try to ignore them and avoid making eye contact.

This was after an explanation that if a Canadian calls you a Goof or Goofball you'd better be prepared to fight or run.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cat Hatter posted:

This was after an explanation that if a Canadian calls you a Goof or Goofball you'd better be prepared to fight or run.

Don't they use Goof as slang for pedophiles?

I cannot remember where I heard this, probably the forums.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

No I've never heard of that.

Goof is another way of calling someone an idiot/dipshit in a derogatory way. It basically means the person is someone to laugh at. It's not something you'd call a friend that slipped in a funny way, it's basically how you tell someone that they're not worth your time.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Cat Hatter posted:

It was too well done for me to notice the first time :golfclap:
Comedy answer: No, the other one.

Canadian internet comedians Loading Ready Run were talking about the myth of Canadian Politeness with a guy from Texas and one from New York and explained it as "Americans think Canadians are polite because they're historically bad at understanding passive aggressiveness or when they're in danger." They're of the opinion that if a "nice" person saw someone injured on the street, they wouldn't try to ignore them and avoid making eye contact.

Isn't Canada statistically overwhelmingly less lethally violent than the US?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

slurm posted:

Not if you're first nations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It is used in the Canadian prison system and among first nations (obvious systemic racism/poverty/abuse cycle here) as slang for pedophile.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Okay, so context varies by who says it. Thanks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

wesleywillis posted:

Every time painter of crap posts about insurance stuff, I imagine him as the insurance investigator with the action packed expense account, Johnny Dollar.

Insurance investigators are apparently actually the third most common noir/mystery novel protagonist, since insurance is trying to get to the bottom of things long after the cops and PIs have given up.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

I don't know if this is better or worse than photos I saw of contractors in Iraq building brick buildings without mortar, it probably works out to about the same level of kick resistance.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

slurm posted:

Avoiding confrontation to the point of not talking to someone who might need help isn't really the same thing as being polite.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Midsommar (2019) - Dir: Ari Aster

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pseudohog posted:

Oh it's even better these days! The power companies can put in smart meters under the promise of saving you money, then if you miss a couple of payments they can remotely switch you over to pre-pay - which is way more expensive than even the original style! So people struggling to afford energy bills end up having to pay more per unit.

It's total exploitation, and due to privitisation, all the government can do is say "please don't do that?"

The NY Times recently had an article about what it's like to live with those meters. (Spoiler: It sucks.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've often said there's nothing better for the outside of a man than the inside of a bear.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

I enjoy load-bearing plumbing as much as the next moron, but Donald is entirely too pleased with himself for the attempted murder he constructed for his nephews.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh come on. Attempted murder? They're ducks. They weigh like 3 pounds each and if the pipes explode they'll just get wet and they're ducks.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Oh come on. Attempted murder? They're ducks. They weigh like 3 pounds each and if the pipes explode they'll just get wet and they're ducks.

Nah, he actually plumbed it into the boiler system. In the middle of the night Huey turned the spigot next to his bed and immediately was prepped to become Peking duck.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Sagebrush posted:

Wet and impaled, sure.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Maybe that is why Donald is so pleased. His plan is going to succeed.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/bugliker/status/1615040686159429652

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beef Of Ages posted:

I enjoy load-bearing plumbing as much as the next moron, but Donald is entirely too pleased with himself for the attempted murder he constructed for his nephews.

It's fine, EEVblog.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
"Honey, it's so dark in here. We should get some bigger windows put in!"
"... I got an idea."

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

that bottom one is wearing yellow, not green! That's not Louie, that's Phooey! Wake up, Donald! Open your eyes! Pay attention to your surroundings!! He's planning on peeing the bed!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What a the gently caress.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

:supaburn:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

Oh word did we have the same shower builder? My shower head Roughin was at about 6' above the pan, and the handle and head were off center by about 6" as well. I'm under 6' tall and the shower head kissed my head since the stub out lowers it.

The tiling wasn't bad though, no sign of water damage behind any of it when I removed it, which was shocking since the corners were pretty bad when we moved in.

There's a lot of work in achieving my dreams though. It's all off center because of a stud, and neither of the other walls are framed for me to easily add a niche. But I'll make it right.

Close, but mine's even better. Mine has a door opening that's only 3' wide AND for some godforsaken reason they lowered the ceiling inside the shower to the top of the door opening (standard 7'.) It's also tiled top to bottom including the ceiling. Yours looks about the same size, though. Just imagine another wall roughly half the width of the shower on one side. I had to put a light in the ceiling so you didn't have to shower in the dark. One of the first mods I did to the house.
I'm going to raise the ceiling and knock out the wall (there was a cabinet that butted up to it - I removed that and installed a smaller cabinet and counter.)
I'd like to have a niche or two for shower accessories as well!
I have had to replace 3 or 4 tiles in a corner near the bottom that were installed wonky, but other than that and a few being off by just a little bit, the tile job is at least solid.
The bathroom also desperately needs a vent fan. Not for poo gas (though that's nice, too) but for moisture.

quote:

In the opposite of crappy construction I refuse to meet my schedule by reducing the scope or compromising in layout.

:same:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

Close, but mine's even better. Mine has a door opening that's only 3' wide AND for some godforsaken reason they lowered the ceiling inside the shower to the top of the door opening (standard 7'.) It's also tiled top to bottom including the ceiling. Yours looks about the same size, though. Just imagine another wall roughly half the width of the shower on one side. I had to put a light in the ceiling so you didn't have to shower in the dark. One of the first mods I did to the house.
I'm going to raise the ceiling and knock out the wall (there was a cabinet that butted up to it - I removed that and installed a smaller cabinet and counter.)
I'd like to have a niche or two for shower accessories as well!
I have had to replace 3 or 4 tiles in a corner near the bottom that were installed wonky, but other than that and a few being off by just a little bit, the tile job is at least solid.
The bathroom also desperately needs a vent fan. Not for poo gas (though that's nice, too) but for moisture.

:same:

Oh yeah I hate that for you. I put those canless lights in last year, it was just too dark even with a center ovehead light. I hate the door placement into the room but there aren't any other options, so it's about to swing into the glass shower door.

I'd be worried about what's above the ceiling over the shower, it could be housing something, it sounds like you already had a chance to look though.

The city required a fart fan, despite the window. I'm fine with it, and it's already in.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Oh yeah I hate that for you. I put those canless lights in last year, it was just too dark even with a center ovehead light. I hate the door placement into the room but there aren't any other options, so it's about to swing into the glass shower door.

I'd be worried about what's above the ceiling over the shower, it could be housing something, it sounds like you already had a chance to look though.

The city required a fart fan, despite the window. I'm fine with it, and it's already in.

Nah, I've been up there. They just built a false ceiling. It's... weird.
Our bathroom door opened out into the master bedroom, just taking up space in the corner of the room. We actually removed it, since it's the master batch, with a curtain for any required modesty. Might install a slider when remodeling, though most pocket doors are crap, too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1615462194023473152

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So we're redoing a closet in one of our spare rooms and as I'm pulling down some shelves I take a step close to the wall and the floor feels... soft? My immediate thought was "oh gently caress what's wrong with the subflooring" thinking I had a big rotten spot due to a leak or something equally disastrous. Felt the spot with my hands and had a second thought of "the edges are awfully defined... spot's pretty small... no loving way..." Cut a little slit and poked a big screw in it and all three inches of that screw went right in without issue.

Started cutting carpet and confirmed my suspicion.

They just carpeted right over the vent. I found another one the next day in my closet.

So that's fun. My closet is already less cold and dreadful. Apparently my wife posted our findings in some neighborhood Facebook group and multiple people have found sealed up vents as well.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The new carpet in my rental is seamed solely with tack strip, which means that i have to lay down a bunch of rugs that make no sense so that you will not have a thousand tiny punctures in your feet every time you walk down the hallway.

The seams are the only place any tack strip was used and the carpet was cut a quarter inch too short so it is not retained by the molding or anything else.

We had to wait an extra month while it was being installed before we could move in.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Looks like you found a venue for the Great White reunion concert.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So we're redoing a closet in one of our spare rooms and as I'm pulling down some shelves I take a step close to the wall and the floor feels... soft? My immediate thought was "oh gently caress what's wrong with the subflooring" thinking I had a big rotten spot due to a leak or something equally disastrous. Felt the spot with my hands and had a second thought of "the edges are awfully defined... spot's pretty small... no loving way..." Cut a little slit and poked a big screw in it and all three inches of that screw went right in without issue.

Started cutting carpet and confirmed my suspicion.

They just carpeted right over the vent. I found another one the next day in my closet.

So that's fun. My closet is already less cold and dreadful. Apparently my wife posted our findings in some neighborhood Facebook group and multiple people have found sealed up vents as well.

Now that the seals are broken, it is only a matter of time until you will be haunted by ghosts from the old graveyard that these houses were built on.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

titties posted:

The new carpet in my rental is seamed solely with tack strip, which means that i have to lay down a bunch of rugs that make no sense so that you will not have a thousand tiny punctures in your feet every time you walk down the hallway.

The seams are the only place any tack strip was used and the carpet was cut a quarter inch too short so it is not retained by the molding or anything else.

We had to wait an extra month while it was being installed before we could move in.

What?
Are you saying that they used tack strips for joins, and not the edges?
:psyduck:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ah, M6 100A slow-blow.

edit: that goes in mechanical failures rather than construction failures, really, since it's a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Looks like you found a venue for the Great White reunion concert.

Talk about hot tickets!