Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i still dont understand the hype for that game
i understand that some people only play mobile games only for the characters and don't care about gameplay at all
but I wouldn't expect those people to exist in serious numbers in the genshin or honkai fanbases

Is there a lot of "hype" for that though? I figured it was just some other mobile title coming out from Mihoyo. Theres maybe some bigger expectations cause its from Mihoyo and Genshin was such a massive hit, buy never got the impression it was like a frenzy to play it really. Maybe in China though....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Xalidur posted:

Look at it this way, all of the Starglitter you'll get from getting already C6'd 4* units means you can convert them into wishes and be more likely to hit your goals!

Good point, I somehow forgot you could even spend starglitter for wishes and it turns out I have enough for slightly over 100 more :eyepop:

Christ I'm dumb sometimes

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I was denied my last chance for Raiden with the 10 minute, 5 minute, and then every one minute afterwards maintenance warning banner came up. It was funny to see the available wish banners just being the static one, though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nessin posted:

I've already encountered what killed me when I stopped playing a long time ago. I've got one great character, Xiangling. I dumped a lot of resources into a character that can perform well, Klee, and I enjoyed playing for a couple days but then came to absolutely hate. And two characters I enjoy, Noelle & Beidou, but only work when timers aren't a thing and really just feel terrible to play after a good Xiangling/Bennet/Fischl team.

The problem is I invested all my other resources into finding alternatives, but never quite got anyone up to really compete with Xiangling yet and grew very bored grinding constantly with one team over and over and over and over again. My next best option is a level 80 C0 Childe with a level 60 R1 Rust or taking the level 80 Widsith off Klee and building up another book user which comes down to either my 60 Sucrose, 40 Mona, or 40 Ningguang. However after just a couple days of commissions and trying out bosses the thought of grinding those up is... not great. Especially with very few skill and exp books to my name.

Hop in the discord and hope there's people on your WL that can do the work for you

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

nessin posted:

I've already encountered what killed me when I stopped playing a long time ago. I've got one great character, Xiangling. I dumped a lot of resources into a character that can perform well, Klee, and I enjoyed playing for a couple days but then came to absolutely hate. And two characters I enjoy, Noelle & Beidou, but only work when timers aren't a thing and really just feel terrible to play after a good Xiangling/Bennet/Fischl team.

The problem is I invested all my other resources into finding alternatives, but never quite got anyone up to really compete with Xiangling yet and grew very bored grinding constantly with one team over and over and over and over again. My next best option is a level 80 C0 Childe with a level 60 R1 Rust or taking the level 80 Widsith off Klee and building up another book user which comes down to either my 60 Sucrose, 40 Mona, or 40 Ningguang. However after just a couple days of commissions and trying out bosses the thought of grinding those up is... not great. Especially with very few skill and exp books to my name.

Taking your characters high level is a big time and resources sink and you really don’t need to do it to have solid teams. I usually aim for level 60 for characters. Sucrose with that Widsith should be great out the gate. Mona let’s you sprint across bodies of water and is honestly super fun just for that. Good at vomitting hydro everywhere. Also really enjoy Ninguang. If you pair Noelle and Ningguang they’ll get the Geo buff as well. The patch that’s being injected as we speak includes an event soon which will let you choose one free Liyue 4* of your choice.

Where are you encountering timers which are a problem? And what world level are you? You absolutely don’t have to increase it the second the game gives you the option.

Edit: vvv thanks! Guess I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to play.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Real Cool Catfish posted:

How long is maintenance usually?

I think it's usually like 4-5 hours

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
having level 80 weapons matters way more than level 80 characters

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

nessin posted:

Build another team using the really good one.

If you don't like leveling characters, then max out that and a second team and just log on for events. Really, leveling characters and artifacts is pretty much the end game. Other than that it's just a bunch of minigames.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Dehya full kit is out and there's just no way it survives all the way to launch lmao
Feels like a rough draft. But in case it isn't...

-Dehya shatter-fridge bloom-geon: Dehya/Candace/Nahida/Cryo

A team that uses another intermediate level dendro mechanic: fridge! Simultaneous dendro and cryo auras can coexist on an enemy, allowing you to both freeze (+shatter) and create blooms! Shatter, Bloom, and Burgeon all scale off of EM, and Dehya has essentially full ownership here. You can try this team with Diluc right now! But Dehya seems to have enough damage reduction and self-healing that you can probably use a cryo sub-dps instead of Diona or Layla.

-Electro Quickburn!: Nahida/Fischl/Beidou/Deyha

A team that uses advanced level dendro mechanics, but which you can simplify to indermediate level through brute force :)
Electro+Dendro creates a Quicken aura, but applying pyro to THIS aura still allows you to trigger aggravate, even while it burns! This allows you to gain bonus damage from overload and burn triggers, like how quickbloom allows you to gain bonus damage from hyperblooms. Using 2 electros + onfield Nahida, you can ignore ICD and elemental gauge units and basically treat it like normal quicken! Better than quickbloom if you're playing an electro unit that struggles to hit seeds in a quickbloom team. Remember that you can force electro on an enemy through onfield Beidou using her counter + wierd C4!
You can play a similar team using Thoma right now, but using Dehya comes with the benefit, of not needing to level up Thoma :geno:

-Dehya/Xingqiu/Yelan/C6 Bennett: :effort:

-Burn??? Sucrose/Venti/Nahida/Dehya

A long range version of the incredibly unpopular (but surprisingly effective) AoE team Nahida/Bennett/Kazuha/Venti. Dehya's damage reduction is worded in a really weird way, which might protect you against burning self-damage. Maybe. Ingame testing will be needed to determine the amount of Proto Ambers this team might need. Might be zero! You can play a similar team right now using Yanfei. Three proto ambers...

Tldr: You can try this team right now! You can try this team right now! You can try this team...

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the level of doomposting about Dehya on reddit is insane but i've learned not to pass judgment until the character is actually out

besides ill roll for my queen regardless :swoon:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
doomposting about leaked beta characters not doing enough dps is really dumb since the whole point of the beta is numerical balance adjustments
although i guess if someone wants to doompost about the playstyle being different from what they wanted (wanting an onfielder and getting an off-field or quickswap unit or vice versa) that's valid

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

All they had to do was make her Diluc, but hotter. All they had to do and I would've been insanely happy. Off field is like the worst possible outcome for me, even if she's pyro Yelan and that kit ain't it. I love Dehya and that kit really sucks all the sails out of finally being able to get her, especially with this ridiculous wait.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
called it

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I will get Dehya and I will build a team around her being the carry and I don't care if it is a subpar team by Reddit standards because I'm a believer and faithful to my desert queen.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I want to see the martial arts attack animations for her burst

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

people doomposted nahida too

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I was hoping that Dehya would be a turret character like Yae instead of an echo attack character like Raiden Shogun. Needing to do damage to get my pyro hit to proc means that shields will be a much bigger obstacle for Dehya. On the other hand, that burst sounds sick as hell. Much cooler than what I was expecting.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i still dont understand the hype for that game
i understand that some people only play mobile games only for the characters and don't care about gameplay at all
but I wouldn't expect those people to exist in serious numbers in the genshin or honkai fanbases

Not really sure I'd put games that boil down to 'swap character, do thing on cooldown, GOTO 10' all that high up on the gameplay ladder, personally.

I'm vaguely interested in it, because space train adventures seems fun.

Not do distract from the dehya doom, but does alhaithem seem like he could be twisted into being useful with nilou? I could use another dendro, but if he's just going to sit there and be unused, tighnari's doing a perfectly fine job of that as it is.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Her E damage as leaked is hilarious. Four hits every 20 seconds. Two thirds of Oz's damage per hit. Is it even appropriate to call her off field DPS?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zenostein posted:

Not really sure I'd put games that boil down to 'swap character, do thing on cooldown, GOTO 10' all that high up on the gameplay ladder, personally.

I'm vaguely interested in it, because space train adventures seems fun.

Not do distract from the dehya doom, but does alhaithem seem like he could be twisted into being useful with nilou? I could use another dendro, but if he's just going to sit there and be unused, tighnari's doing a perfectly fine job of that as it is.

He doesn't compete with Nahida for just applying dendro everywhere, but he's solid at it and takes up a chunk of field time if you want to play him that way. He'd probably be better than Tighnari for that team since he puts out more consistent dendro?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zenostein posted:

it is at least unique in the mobile game space. and the world exploration is the main thing that sold genshin its way to billions of dollars not really the combat.
meanwhile there are already thousands of mobile games with the turn based jrpg "each gacha character has maybe 1 skill and a super" gameplay where past the first hour 90% of the you're just gonna be hitting the autoplay button and watching your party oneshot stuff. like idk why the people who really want to play star rail aren't just playing epic 7 or summoner's war or whatever right now

quote:

haitham would probably be way better than tighnari for a nilou team. He gives himself an infusion and sticks around on field applying lots of consistent dendro over time which means a lot more opportunities to make reactions. tighnari shotguns out a whole bunch of reactions all at once and then kinda runs out of steam, not too helpful since there's a limit of enemies only taking damage from 2 bloom seeds in each 0.5 second window

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 18, 2023

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it is at least unique in the mobile game space. and the world exploration is the main thing that sold genshin its way to billions of dollars not really the combat.
meanwhile there are already thousands of mobile games with the turn based jrpg "each gacha character has maybe 1 skill and a super" gameplay where past the first hour 90% of the you're just gonna be hitting the autoplay button and watching your party oneshot stuff. like idk why the people who really want to play star rail aren't just playing epic 7 or summoner's war or whatever right now

haitham would probably be way better than tighnari for a nilou team. He gives himself an infusion and sticks around on field applying lots of consistent dendro over time which means a lot more opportunities to make reactions. tighnari shotguns out a whole bunch of reactions all at once and then kinda runs out of steam, not too helpful since there's a limit of enemies only taking damage from 2 bloom seeds in each 0.5 second window

1. Probably looks better? Donno if those are an actual 3d environment or 2d stuff like priconne, though.

2. Sounds better than dendro mc, guess I'm sold on the scholar.

Eimi posted:

He doesn't compete with Nahida for just applying dendro everywhere, but he's solid at it and takes up a chunk of field time if you want to play him that way. He'd probably be better than Tighnari for that team since he puts out more consistent dendro?

Yeah, tighnari's kinda awful at it, but slightly better than dendro mc, provided you get decent overlap on kokomi's jellyfish. At least he can't shoot under something's feet.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

I think the combat system lacks the depth to be really compelling long term so I can't see it being an every day kind of game for me, I'll probably just do the main progression and come back for big updates. The actual game is structured like a JRPG rather than a visual novel with gameplay segments, of which there really isn't any competition on mobile for at all. Some newer games like Heaven Burns Red have a bit of a world to walk around between VN segments, but they're very slight in comparison. I had a pretty good time playing the early beta, and from what I saw they improved a lot of the stuff I didn't like about it in the subsequent tests.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Summoner War/Epic Seven is nothing remotely like Honkai Star Rail if you're talking about actual movement, story progression, dialogue presentation, *moving in a 3d environment*, etc.

There are also like very few, if any space-related/galaxy spanning games on the market period.

And unlike SW/E7, Honkai star rail will also be on consoles and pc so it will still hit a completely different demographic than a mobile-only game.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
I love how speculating about kits is called doomposting. Such doom to care enough to look at leaks and form ideas about how the character might play.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I, for one, do not love how

Kale
May 14, 2010

Just realized there didn't seem to be any new wallpaper with this patches obligatory short web event. There's been one every patch at least since Sumeru started.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZeParEWpJQ

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Secretly hoping that Dehya sucks so that I can justify pulling 2 Yelans instead.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I confess. I doomposted Dori, Candace, Layla, and now I'm doomposting Dehya. I'm incorrigible.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

No Wave posted:

I confess. I doomposted Dori, Candace, Layla, and now I'm doomposting Dehya. I'm incorrigible.

I mean 2/3 are worthy of doomposting. Layla just suffers from Zhongli existing. (and no accessible hp% sword.)

Poor Kandake.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Vargs posted:

Secretly hoping that Dehya sucks so that I can justify pulling 2 Yelans instead.

you can always justify this

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I feel like we're missing critical information about Dehya's kit. Surely it can't be the odd combination of overcomplicated and incohesive that it looks like, right? Right?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

I feel like we're missing critical information about Dehya's kit. Surely it can't be the odd combination of overcomplicated and incohesive that it looks like, right? Right?

https://twitter.com/LmdNLn/status/1614935313490771969

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
We don't even know what her elemental application is. Her E procs could be 2u of pyro and it could hit 5 times instead of 4 (0, 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10) or maybe the 2.5 cd is wrong and it can hit 6 times. Which would make her great for reverse melt teams.

The numbers don't really mean much right now because 5 star character numbers have always changed during beta.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Protip - if you're here to collect beautiful waifus/husbandos, then doomposting is pointless. This is the path of zen.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

"Al'haitham is just Dendro Keqing."

https://twitter.com/Khimmeh1/status/1612676628467052545

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Mordiceius posted:

Protip - if you're here to collect beautiful waifus/husbandos, then doomposting is pointless. This is the path of zen.

Doomposting is a natural consequence of this, because people want the characters they like to be good, or at least not feel like a chore or arbitrarily worse than what they already have. Not even getting into how a character can have an entirely different role or playstyle than someone's preference.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

haypliss posted:

Doomposting is a natural consequence of this, because people want the characters they like to be good, or at least not feel like a chore or arbitrarily worse than what they already have. Not even getting into how a character can have an entirely different role or playstyle than someone's preference.

As soon as you care about whether a character is "good" or "useful" you have left the path of zen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i need this character's numbers to be competitive for all the endgame content like