Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

True enough.

It's a shame Ukraine had a grain focus instead of banana plantations.

Southern coastal areas may be sufficiently tropical enough for bananas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BadOptics posted:

If an employer wants to pay me to daydream/plan my evening while someone drones through some cynical take on capitalism's view of diversity instead of exploit my labor power all the more power to them. Crying about that or Innuit mathematicians seems kinda lol

i feel like if you really want to hire an inuit mathematician you should probably get a headhunter to find one instead of putting up help wanted ads in places where you already know there arent any so youre just antagonizing existing staff for no reason

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

i feel like if you really want to hire an inuit mathematician you should probably get a headhunter to find one instead of putting up help wanted ads in places where you already know there arent any so youre just antagonizing existing staff for no reason

That's the point, by having this position technically, legally 'open' but waiting for Diverse Hires tm you can continue getting government subsidies for several things while you do soft layoffs. Fire one or two people but keep those positions open for impossible applicants and it's a win/win

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
if I wanted to hire an Inuit mathematician I’d just ask Elizabeth warren for a recommendation

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Oh for sure. Like someone mentioned, it's like one position to look good versus actually helping that group's material conditions as a whole.

Grapplejack posted:

That's the point, by having this position technically, legally 'open' but waiting for Diverse Hires tm you can continue getting government subsidies for several things while you do soft layoffs. Fire one or two people but keep those positions open for impossible applicants and it's a win/win

This as well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vomik posted:

if I wanted to hire an Inuit mathematician I’d just ask Elizabeth warren for a recommendation

You could share a meal of her famous pow wow chow while reviewing candidates. I think her cookbook is still available on Amazon.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don’t know if this is the right way to put it, but the meritocratic idea that an Inuit mathematician would spring from the firmament independent from anything that would improve their lives as a whole seems very liberal.txt. Like, the stuff you would have to do to get an advanced education in mathematics from a community that doesn’t have running water borders on superhuman. Such a candidate obviously has an inspiring story, but what’s is it doing for the Inuit as a whole?

I just seems to encapsulate Canadian neoliberalism where there is no such thing as a society but we celebrate individuals that overcome barriers that we claim to be unable to do anything about.

e: Also I started reading a book on it this afternoon and lol Official Multiculturalism in Canada is the result of a Ukrainian senator demanding they be held help as equals to the British and French as founders of the nation. The first culture to be included in addition to the traditional two was Ukrainian. 🇺🇦

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:44 on Jan 18, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The free market will provide inuit maths nerds.

DancingShade posted:

You could share a meal of her famous pow wow chow while reviewing candidates. I think her cookbook is still available on Amazon.

Dang I never knew the subtitle for this was "A Collection of Recipes from Families of the Five Civilized Tribes".

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

he should kill himself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

32 days?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Telling government or military officials to harm themselves is dastardly

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

he should kill himself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

What if he is Adolf Hitler?

Edit: i posted this before reading the melt down . . .

OctaMurk has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Jan 18, 2023

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

they had other meltdown posts that got gassed, I guess someone just edited it to a month

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol wtf? rap sheet entry says 1 day.

is this another jeffery special

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they had other meltdown posts that got gassed, I guess someone just edited it to a month

i want to see the meltdown

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Smythe posted:

i think hes having a psychological breakdown of some sort. i wish him well.

wellness probe

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

i want to see the meltdown

it's not a funny meltdown, I wouldn't encourage people to rubberneck it, just seems like someone having a hard time and it sucks

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Pener went and saw Avatar 2 in IMAX 3D and then went on an ayahusca bender, he's been in the throes of a manic episode for days

also he keeps posting his own tweets which is absolutely something you should be nailed for, it's like quoting your own posts but sadder

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

speng31b posted:

it's not a funny meltdown, I wouldn't encourage people to rubberneck it, just seems like someone having a hard time and it sucks

gotcha

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Corky Romanovsky posted:

gently caress this vivec guy

reported for non binary hatred.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Endless War in Ukraine is good for China it can continue it's evil empire expansion without end.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

Endless War in Ukraine is good for China it can continue it's evil empire expansion without end.

Any empire but the One True Empire is the evil empire.

I'm not naming it because in case the wind changes I can always have been a supporter of the One True Empire.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

maruhkati posted:

tbh i still haven't forgiven zizek for murdering nerevar

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Gulping Again posted:

Pener went and saw Avatar 2 in IMAX 3D and then went on an ayahusca bender, he's been in the throes of a manic episode for days

aww geeze. that isn't good

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Gulping Again posted:

also he keeps posting his own tweets which is absolutely something you should be nailed for, it's like quoting your own posts but sadder

Yikes, this is why you need a chaperone on your trips to keep you grounded. Hopefully someone is helping them out in real life.

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

e: Also I started reading a book on it this afternoon and lol Official Multiculturalism in Canada is the result of a Ukrainian senator demanding they be held help as equals to the British and French as founders of the nation. The first culture to be included in addition to the traditional two was Ukrainian. 🇺🇦

Wait what? How are Ukrainians founders of Canada? Aren't they significantly down the list even in order of settlement?

Or are they founders of the Canadian Multicultural IdentityTM (1967) you were describing earlier?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

DancingShade posted:

most people dont' eat the bed of iceberg, but imo lots of layers of flavor there

speng31b
May 8, 2010

The NPC posted:

Wait what? How are Ukrainians founders of Canada? Aren't they significantly down the list even in order of settlement?

Or are they founders of the Canadian Multicultural IdentityTM (1967) you were describing earlier?

I heard Elon musk founded tesla

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I like this quote:

philosophy is deeply unserious and fake so I’m glad zizek goes out of his way to show everyone

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

speng31b posted:

I heard Elon musk founded tesla

The great tribe of Tesla calls these lands home and needs to be recognised as a native ethnic group with their native lands granted reserve status.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

one of the nicest things you can say about Ukraine is that it didn't found Canada. unfortunately they got there eventually

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

speng31b posted:

one of the nicest things you can say about Ukraine is that it didn't found Canada. unfortunately they got there eventually

I feel like for al the negative things that may or may not be true about Ukraine (or Galicia?), that Ukraine on the whole is a country more honest than Canada about what it actually is.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gulping Again posted:

my suspicion of chapo starting an Avatar cult only further solidifies

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Train thread

https://twitter.com/AKamyshin/status/1615476975870660610

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

There will be a number of male tourists using that train to take in the fine wining and dining Ukraine has to offer. They're all on backpacking holidays hence their large packs. Oh look they all shop at the same hiking store. Huh.

No they're not military. See they're all wearing different polo & Hawaiian shirts. They don't even know each other, they just became friends on the train trip which is why they're now leaving the train station together.

For drinks and eats.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't see the Arestovich resignation being discussed or noted at all in the other Ukraine threads on SA. Is this actually a significant piece of news, or is this thread just blowing it up due to your ideological biases?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just saw a news story about trying to teach school kids to spot online disinformation and conspiracy theories. They cited Finland as having the most robust critical thinking curriculum in the world lmao

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

fizzy posted:

I don't see the Arestovich resignation being discussed or noted at all in the other Ukraine threads on SA. Is this actually a significant piece of news, or is this thread just blowing it up due to your ideological biases?

is the german defense minister significant

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ideological biases are for other people, not me

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, it is both significant, and also I can see why other threads wouldn't want to talk about it.

To be fair, an overextended T-90M seems like it got taken out, which I guess is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

more posts about Inuits in Canada than arrestovich