Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Steel Frame is, as far as I know, the only answer for “giant robot fiction that is Actually Good.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Currently reading "The Years of Rice and Salt" by KSR which seems to be extremely concerned with "what does it mean to be alive, what is the point". It's more historical fiction than fantasy but, IDK, maybe that's fine? The "magic" is mostly (so far) "what if Buddhism was literally real". Only about a quarter in but enjoying the hell out of it.

It's actually quite clearly an in-universe historical novel using an in-universe common literary device of having reincarnations of the same characters meet again. The book basically tells you about this later on.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

caspergers posted:

Fellas...first off I wanna apologize for the pretentiousness here. But I'm looking for fantasy that's more literary, at least to the extent that either leaves you with a sense of better understanding of the world or with a deeper conviction/love for life; in other words, fantasy that deals with the "human condition".

It doesn't have to be allegorical or anything, and it can still have all those pulpy tropes, but I need something isn't just a bunch of stock (or flawless) characters carrying out a plot. I'm talking characters who change, and not just adhering to their world's rules but ours as well. I also like books with strong imagery and motifs throughout.

Again, sorry if this is pretentious, but I'm so tired of reading books where all the stakes apply only the world the author imagined.

read ursulas leguin

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

caspergers posted:

Fellas...first off I wanna apologize for the pretentiousness here. But I'm looking for fantasy that's more literary, at least to the extent that either leaves you with a sense of better understanding of the world or with a deeper conviction/love for life; in other words, fantasy that deals with the "human condition".

It doesn't have to be allegorical or anything, and it can still have all those pulpy tropes, but I need something isn't just a bunch of stock (or flawless) characters carrying out a plot. I'm talking characters who change, and not just adhering to their world's rules but ours as well. I also like books with strong imagery and motifs throughout.

Again, sorry if this is pretentious, but I'm so tired of reading books where all the stakes apply only the world the author imagined.
Off the top of my head;

Piranesi, Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell, Buried Giant, Book of the New Sun, Earthsea Cycle, Deathless, and obviously, without question, the shining star of literary prowess, the Name of the Wind. Less so but imo still great is the Orphans Tales, so maybe check it out. There are some more that aren't coming to me this second though, I'll throw some more in.

Less fantasy, but add the Name of the Rose in there. Would also second the Years of Rice and Salt.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Ravenfood posted:

Less fantasy, but add the Name of the Rose in there.

Baudolino definitely goes a bit fantasy

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

caspergers posted:

Earthsea by Ursula LeGuin and Piranesi by Susanna Clarke.

EDIT:

Ravenfood posted:

Less fantasy, but add the Name of the Rose in there.

pradmer posted:

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WUYPTC/

My TBR weeps.

Dirty Needles posted:

Any recommendations for robot/mecha related books/series?

I've done a significant portion of the Battletech books but would like to expand my giant stompy robot reportoire!

Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao and/or Iron Prince by Bryce O'Connor/Luke Chmilenko, depending on your appetite for dark Asian wish fulfilment with extreme, terminally-online Twitter vibes and/or a book that consists more of long, extended training/grind/XP-levelling scenes than anything else respectively. If you want more details, I posted longer thoughts on Iron Widow and Iron Prince in this thread and the KU thread but both definitely fit "giant stompy robot/mecha" though Iron Prince is like...way slower paced so the protagonists haven't really gotten to the full mecha stage by the end of book 1 yet.

Leng fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 17, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Read the Mobile Suit Gundam Novelization, it's not very good, but It's still got that Tomino weirdness.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

caspergers posted:

This seems like an excellent time to recommend The Night-Bird's Feather, by Jenna Moran.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I love Earthsea so much. There are lines from the third book I can still quote from memory.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Rand Brittain posted:

This seems like an excellent time to recommend The Night-Bird's Feather, by Jenna Moran.

Enormously seconding this for “literary fantasy” value.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Kazuo Ishiguro’s The Buried Giant should also count as literary fantasy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeeeeeees

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

caspergers posted:

In addition to the Le Guin, Wolfe, Clarke, Hughart, and Peake recommendations already made I'll add Once and Future King by T. H. White, Travel Light by Naomi Mitchison, Okla Hannali by R. A. Lafferty, The Circus of Dr. Lao by Charles G. Finney, Sorcerer of the Wildeeps and A Taste of Honey by Kai Ashante Wilson, Among Others by Jo Walton, Little, Big and Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr by John Crowley, the Lyonesse Trilogy by Jack Vance, and the Discworld novels by Terry Prattchett which have a lot to say about the human condition despite their comedic nature.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Oh I wanna recommend Starbook by Ben Okri!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

a foolish pianist posted:

Kazuo Ishiguro’s The Buried Giant should also count as literary fantasy.

Alan Garner's Treacle Walker should also, but I'm also not sure how well it stands alone — I think the experience really benefits from being familiar with at least some of Garner's other works.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

caspergers posted:

What have you been reading that makes you feel that way?

Authors you might want to check out for:
Paul Park
John Crowley
Lucius Shepard
Samuel Delany
Patricia A. McKillip
Peter S. Beagle
John M. Ford
Lois McMaster Bujold

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

rohan posted:

I think you’d enjoy The Spear Cuts Through Water.
Thirding this. It's loving fantastic; the book is super litty and meditates on all sorts of real world issues and does so much cool experimental poo poo while, at its heart, still basically being an epic fantasy. I haven't read anything like it. It's poetic and really really cool.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

In the fantasy literature discussion, I would add my voice to Jo Walton, Kazuo Ishiguro, John Crowley and Susanna Clarke.

But also add Helen Oyeyemi, Quan Barry, E. Lily Yu, and Marlon James. These may skew more towards the literature side of things and be more strange than fantasy, but they're also really loving good in ways that you don't often see in the stickered genre. And they're all totally different from one another.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

caspergers posted:

If you don't mind fantasy that is really just historical fiction turned one quarter to the fantastical then Guy Gavriel Kay's novels might be what you are looking for. His writing, characterisation and emotive storytelling is incredible and definitely has that aspect of focusing on the human condition. The Lions of Al-Rassan is probably his best work (fantasy Spain in the time of the Reconquista) but I also really enjoyed Under Heaven (fantasy China in the time of the An Lushan rebellion).

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Carrier posted:

If you don't mind fantasy that is really just historical fiction turned one quarter to the fantastical then Guy Gavriel Kay's novels might be what you are looking for. His writing, characterisation and emotive storytelling is incredible and definitely has that aspect of focusing on the human condition. The Lions of Al-Rassan is probably his best work (fantasy Spain in the time of the Reconquista) but I also really enjoyed Under Heaven (fantasy China in the time of the An Lushan rebellion).
I didn't love The Lions, or frankly most of his stuff, because it feels very, idk. Dry? Like it's good, I enjoy it, but I don't love it. Calling them "basically historical" is very accurate lol

A Brightness Long Ago, though, is one of my favorite books. It's just an exploration of loss and memory and what people live for, but with fantasy chariot racing included too. If you want to read GGK and have bounced off his earlier stuff, I seriously recommend at least flicking through A Brightness Long Ago in a library. It hit me so hard, and was so drat good.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

That's funny, I found A Brightness Long Ago really boring and clunky. It felt like a story about nothing. I liked Under Heaven a bit better but GGK has diminishing returns the more you read, I think

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I read Tigana and I'm frankly not emotionally prepared to let GGK hurt me again

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

cardinale posted:

GGK has diminishing returns the more you read, I think
He keeps writing the same book. Over and over.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Dirty Needles posted:

Any recommendations for robot/mecha related books/series?

I've done a significant portion of the Battletech books but would like to expand my giant stompy robot reportoire!

Do the robots have to be humanoid? If not then Phoenix Extravagant is good. It's an Asian inspired fantasy (fantasy Korea occupied by fantasy Japan) that deals with imperialism, especially the cultural side.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

HopperUK posted:

I read Tigana and I'm frankly not emotionally prepared to let GGK hurt me again

I got horribly grossed out by the mind control wizard enslavement in that, so I've avoided him from then on...

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I sent my copies of the Terran Trade Authority books to the eBay buyers. I hope they're going to good homes.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Do folks here have thoughts on the Elric series in publication order vs chronological order? I get the impression the author preferred chronological and that's what the new omnibus editions present the material in, but that's not necessarily the Actually Good order for a new reader.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

He keeps writing the same book. Over and over.

I liked Ysabel not least because the contemporary content felt like he was at least trying to do something new.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kestral posted:

Do folks here have thoughts on the Elric series in publication order vs chronological order? I get the impression the author preferred chronological and that's what the new omnibus editions present the material in, but that's not necessarily the Actually Good order for a new reader.

It's been twenty years since I sat down and read it all but going from memory it didn't really feel like a series at all, just a collection of loose stories vaguely connected with one another.

I'd probably say read in publication order. It's very rare that internal chronology makes more sense than publication order, usually only when the entire series was first planned in order and then written nonsequentially like the Sharpe novels, and that almost never happens.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Do the robots have to be humanoid? If not then Phoenix Extravagant is good. It's an Asian inspired fantasy (fantasy Korea occupied by fantasy Japan) that deals with imperialism, especially the cultural side.

Yesssss. Phoenix Extravagant has some of the most culturally interesting magic I have read, and I normally loving despise reading about "magic systems". It's so well done, I adore that book.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1) by Ann Leckie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BAXFDLM/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kestral posted:

Steel Frame is, as far as I know, the only answer for “giant robot fiction that is Actually Good.”

sleeping giants

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not entirely sure why Russian flavored modern fairy tales have become a thing lately, but I loved this and also Naomi Novik's forays

E: spinning silver in particular is just a glorious trainwreck of like six initially seemingly largely unrelated fairytales that slam into each other at speed

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 18, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kestral posted:

I'd go with publication order. The Gollancz omnibus editions strike me as weird: making you go through the script for the Elric: The Making of a Sorcerer comic before getting to the original stories seems like a good way to turn off new readers.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Just…. just read the new Saga Press version’s order. You’ll drive yourself loving insane trying to read Elric in publication order.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've got the three Saga Press omnibuses. The first one was good enough, the second one was just a slog, I barely made it past The Revenge of the Rose, and I just took a break somewhere in the middle of The Bane of the Black Sword a few months ago, not sure when I'll go back to it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

ShutteredIn posted:

Just…. just read the new Saga Press version’s order. You’ll drive yourself loving insane trying to read Elric in publication order.

I’ve spent the last half hour trying to reconstruct the publication order out of the material presented in the Gollancz volumes, and yeah, this is ridiculous. I’ve never seen any body of fiction chopped up and reorganized to quite this extent before. Publication Order Elric is actually something I think I’d like to do, but I was looking at this for my audiobook slot, not my physical-book slot, and the amount of jumping around within and between audiobooks that publication order would entail is, uh, prohibitive.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kestral posted:

I’ve spent the last half hour trying to reconstruct the publication order out of the material presented in the Gollancz volumes, and yeah, this is ridiculous. I’ve never seen any body of fiction chopped up and reorganized to quite this extent before. Publication Order Elric is actually something I think I’d like to do, but I was looking at this for my audiobook slot, not my physical-book slot, and the amount of jumping around within and between audiobooks that publication order would entail is, uh, prohibitive.

The first volume of the new collection has pages of bibliography going over the various publications and republications of the Elric stories. It's wild!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Just read it in the order of whichever dogeared lurid-covered paperback you've managed to find in a second hand bookshop for $2 as is traditional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sebmojo posted:

Just read it in the order of whichever dogeared lurid-covered paperback you've managed to find in a second hand bookshop for $2 as is traditional

:haibrow: