Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AceOfFlames posted:

And Jason David Frank killed himself two months ago (RIP :()

I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what brought this about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Markie Post is dead?

e: Markie post is dead :-(

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I had a sad moment when I saw a commercial for it, learned it existed, saw Laroquette in it, and then realized everyone else was dead.

As someone who watched the original religiously, my main takeaway from the trailer is it's creepy how closely they recreated the original sets. Must have been even weirder for Larroquette.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 17, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bet it won’t be anywhere near as good as the 30 Rock episode

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

every (admittedly small) trailer/snippet i have seen of the new Night Court makes it look dreadful/empty in a way that I don't think even John Larroquette circa 85 to 89 could save. godspeed to the brave souls trying it out tonight

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Aye Doc posted:

every (admittedly small) trailer/snippet i have seen of the new Night Court makes it look dreadful/empty in a way that I don't think even John Larroquette circa 85 to 89 could save. godspeed to the brave souls trying it out tonight

I agree, with the one exception of the scene where Abby Stone, Harry's daughter, goes to recruit Dan in his apartment. Larroquette is killing it in that small scene they released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7_ernyDLks

"Wow, look at that view!"
"That is what sold Sarah on the place."
"Is Sarah your wife?"
*small pause* "She was."

In that pause, he reveals so much has happened in that last 30 years. Dan, the ultimate womanizer, met someone, fell in love, settled down, got an apartment, and she died. He's now a widower, living in the same apartment she wanted, and he's let himself fall apart quite a bit as a result. But he also has the hint of a smile that says he doesn't regret a day he spent with her. The set dressing you could see, but it all falls into place with his small pause before, "She was."

loving killing it. So that one scene is what's giving me hope. We'll see.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 17, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Peter_Fitz/status/1615125055796830209

Oh god cancelled Jeremy Clarkson is going to forge new paths in being an absolute dipshit

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Peter_Fitz/status/1615125055796830209

Oh god cancelled Jeremy Clarkson is going to forge new paths in being an absolute dipshit

https://twitter.com/mikeyface/status/1615116971447664640?s=20&t=gFSCHgKxelsVEC9lRlNn0w

Give it time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's a great clickbait headline, but the likelihood that they were going to continue with The Grand Tour or future seasons of Jeremy Clarkson's Farm weren't that good to begin with.

They still have 4 Grand Tour specials coming out between now and 2024 and there's no indication that they aren't still happening and, from what I gather from those who watched it, the Farm show has run its course.

The headline makes it sound like Amazon is dropping him immediately, but there's been no indication of that at all.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bull3964 posted:

It's a great clickbait headline, but the likelihood that they were going to continue with The Grand Tour or future seasons of Jeremy Clarkson's Farm weren't that good to begin with.

They still have 4 Grand Tour specials coming out between now and 2024 and there's no indication that they aren't still happening and, from what I gather from those who watched it, the Farm show has run its course.

The headline makes it sound like Amazon is dropping him immediately, but there's been no indication of that at all.

Yeah, the "set to be" part of "Clarkson set to be dumped" in the headline is doing a lot of heavy lifting. Like, okay, "set" when?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, it's like right there in the article too.

quote:

US-based Variety reported on Monday that Amazon Prime was “likely to be parting ways” with Clarkson after 2024, when his shows Clarkson’s Farm and The Grand Tour – which are in production – are due to end.

You don't say, they are going to part ways with him after the shows that he's in are done? It's not like Clarkson is some content generating powerhouse, once these shows run their course there's not much more reason for Amazon to contract with him.

I also find it slightly amusing when an English publication thinks anyone in America gives two shits about what people say about the royal family. He's done and said a lot of lovely things, for THIS to be the breaking point for Amazon? Yeah, I doubt it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Clarkson should have been taken off the air a long time ago. Utter bellend of a man. Do non-Brits know the term “bellend”?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Escobarbarian posted:

Clarkson should have been taken off the air a long time ago. Utter bellend of a man. Do non-Brits know the term “bellend”?

I do, but only from these forums. :eng101:

I have a disease where I get Ricky Gervais, Jeremy Clarkson, and Piers Morgan confused. Like, one's a comedian, one's on car shows, and one is a..."Reporter", but I can never remember who did/said which stupid thing, besides Piers Morgan being horribly transphobic to some of his guests and also wanting to gently caress Meghan Markle.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They’re all massive cunts so that’s fair

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't, but I know who Clarkson is, so given the context, I can figure it out.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Everybody shut the gently caress up they're pitching a new Craig Ferguson joint and it sounds like it's gonna be The Soup with the numbers filed off

Who do I have to blow and/or kill to make sure this gets picked up

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Bring back Geoff Peterson!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

secretly best girl posted:

Everybody shut the gently caress up they're pitching a new Craig Ferguson joint and it sounds like it's gonna be The Soup with the numbers filed off

Oh hell the gently caress yes.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I agree, with the one exception of the scene where Abby Stone, Harry's daughter, goes to recruit Dan in his apartment. Larroquette is killing it in that small scene they released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7_ernyDLks

"Wow, look at that view!"
"That is what sold Sarah on the place."
"Is Sarah your wife?"
*small pause* "She was."

In that pause, he reveals so much has happened in that last 30 years. Dan, the ultimate womanizer, met someone, fell in love, settled down, got an apartment, and she died. He's now a widower, living in the same apartment she wanted, and he's let himself fall apart quite a bit as a result. But he also has the hint of a smile that says he doesn't regret a day he spent with her. The set dressing you could see, but it all falls into place with his small pause before, "She was."

loving killing it. So that one scene is what's giving me hope. We'll see.

yeah this moment was nice, but there aint no dang jokes. aint no laughs to be had in any of the clips out so far

https://twitter.com/MelissaRauch/status/1615375630950092801

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

I find Piers Morgan has an especially punchable face, that's one way to tell them apart.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Between Paul's obsession with Woliner and the Russian actress, and what he wrote for the sex slave actress in the fictional scene, the guy is absolutely a giant creep in real life, no question. I am honestly surprised that between being simultaneously incredibly gullible and a clear grifter, obsessing over giant FBI raids and sex trafficking conspiracies, and confusing movies with real life, he doesn't seem to have gotten swept up into QAnon.

I wondered this too until I remembered that I think he made a joke about not liking Trump. Might have saved him. Also he may just not be Internet savvy enough to get into it, based off of his Twitter use.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

My god a Soup knockoff with Craig Ferguson would be the best thing since the actual Soup with Greg Kinnear

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

“I wanted to do ‘Channel Surf’ because I think television is ready for the return of the silly/ funny/ occasional lip-synching puppet format,” Ferguson said in a statement.

God bless this man.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Escobarbarian posted:

I was hugely into Top Gear during its BBC America rerun heyday, but I definitely didn’t pay attention to Clarkson or Hammond outside the show. I only gave a poo poo about May’s other shows and specials, so I was largely insulated from what a piece of poo poo Clarkson was pretty much until they were all fired.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Aye Doc posted:

yeah this moment was nice, but there aint no dang jokes. aint no laughs to be had in any of the clips out so far

https://twitter.com/MelissaRauch/status/1615375630950092801

The pilot is… tentatively okay so far? Its thin on jokes, but the engagement ring reveal was a genuinely nice bit of Harry Stone hokum.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The pilot is… tentatively okay so far? Its thin on jokes, but the engagement ring reveal was a genuinely nice bit of Harry Stone hokum.

Nobody has any chemistry with each other.

Larroquette is acting circles around everyone else.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I figured out what's putting me off: Everyone, except Larroquette is very eager to shout their punchlines

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Should have rebooted The Jphn Larroquette show instead.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

I figured out what's putting me off: Everyone, except Larroquette is very eager to shout their punchlines

They're also playing their characters way too broadly. OG Night Court was very often farcical, but it was still played with restraint. Sort of like how the throughline for The Muppet Show was that the final score at the end of every episode was "Frog 100, Chaos 99."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Was that the one where he was a recovering alcoholic working as a manager at a bus terminal? I remember really enjoying that but just having this sense that it wasn't going to be one of those shows that gets more than a couple of seasons, 3 at the most.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
There are just too many moments where it's dialed up to 11 when it should be played at 7. It's clearly written to be that way too but most of the cast just isn't up to the task.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I felt like the second episode was much stronger than the first, though still not great.

And yeah Jeru, that's the one. David Crosby used to show up as his AA sponsor.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
It's a reboot. It's fine, not outstanding but i did laugh.

It is weird as hell watching a show with an actual laugh track now.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I do appreciate that none of the characters are really obvious redos of ones from the old show. The DA is a bit like Season 1 Dan before he became a sex fiend, but that's as close as it gets I think.

Abby is a lot like Harry, but also quite a bit like Christine. To the point that I wonder if, before Markie Post passed away, they might have planned on her being Abby's mom.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Q_res posted:

Abby is a lot like Harry, but also quite a bit like Christine. To the point that I wonder if, before Markie Post passed away, they might have planned on her being Abby's mom.

Post was retired as of 2019 following her cancer getting worse, long before the reboot was even in the early stages of development.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I've always wanted more of this and Frank's Place with Tim Reid.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok maybe the furry is onto something

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched a video earlier today about an absolutely bizarre reality show called Mountain Monsters. It is ostensibly supposed to be a cryptozoological hunting show set around the Appalachians except there's a bunch of weird scripted conspiracy stuff going on with an evil team of monster hunters and a cult?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Its crazy how long that show was on, along with Alaska Monsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-pJpPAOJwk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

muscles like this! posted:

I watched a video earlier today about an absolutely bizarre reality show called Mountain Monsters. It is ostensibly supposed to be a cryptozoological hunting show set around the Appalachians except there's a bunch of weird scripted conspiracy stuff going on with an evil team of monster hunters and a cult?

Aha, do I spot a fellow Chris James fan? :allears:

Yeah, I used to watch that show with my dad and :lol: it's wild Bill as hell.

MarcusSA posted:

Ok maybe the furry is onto something

This is made extra funny (or extra hosed up) with the fact that her little brother character on Mindy Project was a wannabe rapper/drug dealer.