Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the far off future of 2023 all TV shows are canceled for tax purposes so corporations can save a little bit extra.

Last thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989431

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Happy New Year goons(well, in about 30 minute for me), can't wait to watch way too much TV in 2023.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So, for me the final season of Battlestar Galactica…

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

2022 was a very good year of television and I hope it continues to get better!

When does Vince Gilligan and Rhea Seehorn's new show start? 2024? I already miss Better Call Saul.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I need to actually watch good TV this year instead of a bunch of Disney+ crap and Andor

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I mean if you watched Andor then you already watched something good

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hopefully 2023 is the year in which a company decides to pick up season 3 of the Praise Sol Variety Hour (With His Milky Robot Friends), because that show getting cancelled was the angriest I was at television in 2022.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean if you watched Andor then you already watched something good

Yes, that's what I was saying

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Arist posted:

I need to actually watch good TV this year instead of a bunch of Disney+ crap and Andor

I crammed all the good tv in the last month of the year. Before that, all I watched was the various RuPaul's Drag Race editions and Disney+ shows.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If I had made a post in the 2022 Best TV thread, Andor would have been #1 with a bullet.

I did not make that post because that list would have had to include Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi. That's how little non-anime TV I watched this year.

For the record, that list would have probably been:

10. The Book of Boba Fett
9. Obi-Wan Kenobi
8. Stranger Things
7. Moon Knight
6. She-Hulk
5. We Own This City
4. Ms. Marvel
3. Better Call Saul
2. Bocchi the Rock! (as my token anime pick)
1. Andor

I can't even fill all ten spots! This is dire!

e: oh wait, forgot about Moon Knight

Arist fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 1, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Happy New Years goons.

I said it once I won't say it again. :colbert:

Arist posted:

I did not make that post because that list would have had to include Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi. That's how little non-anime TV I watched this year.

Plenty of goons include anime. I think some include, like, YouTube channels and stuff.

Write your list.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
My new years resolution is to finish Fleishman and start Gaslit...but for tonight, my partner and I are watching All About Eve. :getin:

Happy New Years, my loves!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Arist posted:

Yes, that's what I was saying

Oh, rad. Misunderstood your phrasing.

I basically watched nothing new tv-wise in 2022 aside from Andor, BCS, and a handful of other stuff I’ve already forgotten about. I’m actually finally watching Altered Carbon because I’ve been jonesing for cyberpunk stuff, and it’s uhhhh a real mixed bag. I wouldn’t even say it’s very cyberpunk.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Very much looking forward to The Last of Us in 2023! Also, I've gotta check out For All Mankind before my Apple TV+ trial runs out.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
TV is fun and I hope I get to share more fun TV with you all in 2023! :toot:

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Happy new year friends of the TVIV

just like the likable coach, Ted Lasso, BELIEVE!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Read After Burning posted:

My new years resolution is to finish Fleishman and start Gaslit...but for tonight, my partner and I are watching All About Eve. :getin:

Happy New Years, my loves!

Is Gaslit as good as Fleishman? It was one of my favorites of the entire year, probably.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Happy New Year goons!

Just under the wire, I finished This is Going to Hurt. Now, I wasn't in the UK, I'm in the US, so the system is different and I was in medical school. It sucked the soul out of me and though I passed to my third year, I just felt it would only get harder and make me more miserable, so I left. Since then, I've changed careers and am happy, but was always kinda traumatized about medicine, so I never watched medical dramas/comedies/what have you. This is the first one I've attempted and drat if it didn't feel cathartic watching it. It felt like flashbacks to my own brief life in medicine, being pimped and bullied by doctors for easy mistakes, wondering if it was even worth it in a broken system to continue. I -especially- empathized with a character called Shruti. What happens... well, you just have to watch. But in the end, I'm happy for the characters and feel I made the best decision for my health and sanity. It was like cauterizing a wound in me. I loved it.

TLDR: watch This Is Going to Hurt.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, it's an excellent show.

It's a shame that AMC being in flux means that a second season is in doubt.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, it's an excellent show.

It's a shame that AMC being in flux means that a second season is in doubt.

You know, as sad as that makes me, because it's acted extremely well and they don't pull a Grey's and pull wrong medical terminology out of the aether, I'd be okay with one season because it's a perfectly encapsulated season. I want to know more, but that comes with a well-fleshed-out story.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Pan Dulce posted:

Happy New Year goons!

Just under the wire, I finished This is Going to Hurt. Now, I wasn't in the UK, I'm in the US, so the system is different and I was in medical school. It sucked the soul out of me and though I passed to my third year, I just felt it would only get harder and make me more miserable, so I left. Since then, I've changed careers and am happy, but was always kinda traumatized about medicine, so I never watched medical dramas/comedies/what have you. This is the first one I've attempted and drat if it didn't feel cathartic watching it. It felt like flashbacks to my own brief life in medicine, being pimped and bullied by doctors for easy mistakes, wondering if it was even worth it in a broken system to continue. I -especially- empathized with a character called Shruti. What happens... well, you just have to watch. But in the end, I'm happy for the characters and feel I made the best decision for my health and sanity. It was like cauterizing a wound in me. I loved it.

TLDR: watch This Is Going to Hurt.

I'm really happy you liked it. I don't work in the medical field nor do I live in the UK, but I was just really affected by the show.

Oasx fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 1, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo somehow I forgot to put This Is Going to Hurt on the list of shows I watched this year!!!!! It wouldn’t have made my top 10 but it would have been in the top 20 sonewhere. Oops.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Hi 2023 thread

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

2023, the year we get new Justified!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is Yellowstone worth watching? I keep seeing clips of it all over the place

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Qubee posted:

Nahhhh.

Like, look, maybe the algorithm has decided you'll like it and that means you'll end up liking it if you give it a chance, but what I've seen of the show was more soap opera than drama.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Qubee posted:

It's a beautifully filmed show with mostly super lovely politics.
Like a candidate for governor campaigning on a 'Progress stops with me' slogan and being presented as the character you should definitely sympathize with.

It does present most Native Americans and some environmental activists in a positive light (and especially has some nuance, with lovely tribal politics being a thing, instead of there being one monolithic Native American point of view), but in the end, it's still rancher propaganda

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Can someone tell me if Travelers has a decent ending? I just started watching it and I think I'm hooked, and now I'm scared I got attached to a show without a resolution (or possibly a permanent cliffhanger).

RIP Alphas, speaking of which.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Phenotype posted:

Can someone tell me if Travelers has a decent ending? I just started watching it and I think I'm hooked, and now I'm scared I got attached to a show without a resolution (or possibly a permanent cliffhanger).

RIP Alphas, speaking of which.

It has a pretty definite resolution, but it's left just a bit open for another season just in case.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Qubee posted:

first season or two are entertaining garbage but its a complete load of dogshit now so, if you lack the capacity to sever, don't start.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Travelers has an ok ending, it’s not the one I would have wanted, but it’s at least semi-satisfying.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
My entire family keep mythering us to watch Yellowstone and all the spin-offs despite ignoring most of my (actually good) recommendations. Figures it has lovely politics since they do too.

Are the spin-offs improved by having Sam Elliott and Harrison Ford?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
For some reason decided to watch Old last night after everyone went to bed.

What a terrible first thing to watch for 2023. Just abysmal at every turn.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

At the family Christmas my mom described Yellowstone as "the most gritty and realistic tv show I've ever seen". Yes she is a boomer.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Oasx posted:

Travelers has an ok ending, it’s not the one I would have wanted, but it’s at least semi-satisfying.

Medullah posted:

It has a pretty definite resolution, but it's left just a bit open for another season just in case.

Thanks, that's good to hear. This is really good stuff so far and I was scared it was gonna have an abrupt cutoff.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Binged the entire first season of Reservation Dogs with my parents yesterday, I’m eternally grateful that my folks appreciate good television and films.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Now that I have you all here, I’d like to tell you about Rome…

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ruddiger posted:

Binged the entire first season of Reservation Dogs with my parents yesterday, I’m eternally grateful that my folks appreciate good television and films.

I'm jealous, my parents pretty much watch nothing but NCIS and Chicago X.

Anyone watched Kaleidescope? Couple good actors in it but I'm apprehensive

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I was gonna ask about Kaleidoscope too.

Thought I saw something about how the outcome is different depending on the order you watch it, but the trailer didn't say anything about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:ohdear: