Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Dude, I have other stuff going on. I played the game for like an hour today to get to the first credits. The fact that I didn't immediately drop everything to go spend more time on the game when I found out that there's more after the credits doesn't mean I didn't like the game, it just means I am a person who has to do things other than gaming and I already spent a decent chunk of time today gaming.

If you're enjoying it, do finish. I was confused but it seems like the crypticness got you thinking it wasn't worth continuing. As Gaius says you'll get some story again from new vantages then all new story to close out the game. You'll also definitively know when the game is "done" because of non-story spoiler follows it will offer you a choice you'll not be able to come back from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Barudak posted:

If you're enjoying it, do finish. I was confused but it seems like the crypticness got you thinking it wasn't worth continuing. As Gaius says you'll get some story again from new vantages then all new story to close out the game. You'll also definitively know when the game is "done" because of non-story spoiler follows it will offer you a choice you'll not be able to come back from.

I didn't know what people were talking about. I typically don't give a poo poo about post-credits content because "there's more after the credits" usually means, like, a couple extra dungeons. Not whole new plot routes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I didn't know what people were talking about, "there's more after the credits" usually means, like, a couple extra dungeons. Not whole new plot routes.

Yeah its not "oh theres a super omega ultraboss" and if thats what you were thinking I get being like "Im good". Its more akin to a tv show or novel where it spends some time retelling events from another perspective before setting up the dramatic culmination of the plot.

It also introduces a new additional combat mechanic which is interesting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Wait, so there isn't more after the credits, beating it once just unlocks other routes?

Why the gently caress didn't you people just say that instead of being weirdly cryptic for no reason?

It’s a good game to remain unspoiled on so I get it but yeah if someone looks like they’re gonna fold after Route A I will happily tell them the truth

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s a good game to remain unspoiled on so I get it but yeah if someone looks like they’re gonna fold after Route A I will happily tell them the truth

How is "you can play other routes after you beat the main one" a spoiler?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I don't think anything has made me want to play something I was mildly interested in less than nierposting

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

SeXReX posted:

I don't think anything has made me want to play something I was mildly interested in less than nierposting

just another reason to completely ignore the fanbase of a game and play it yourself to form your own opinion

edit: actually, just completely ignoring the fanbases of games is probably good advice all by itself.

Mr. Trampoline fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 18, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
NIER has four endings. You'll know when you hit your own personal stopping point, and if you're sick like me you'll press on with a mad glimmer in your eyes.

That's really all I personally have to say about it. Enjoy it as much as you'd like, or as little as you'd prefer. There are no wrong answers, just play games.:madmax:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
calling them endings is kind of a misnomer carried over from the previous game, the majority of “routes” are more like episodes than anything

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shinjobi posted:

NIER has four endings. You'll know when you hit your own personal stopping point, and if you're sick like me you'll press on with a mad glimmer in your eyes.

That's really all I personally have to say about it. Enjoy it as much as you'd like, or as little as you'd prefer. There are no wrong answers, just play games.:madmax:

OK seriously why are you guys acting like the idea of playing through multiple routes of the same story to get the whole thing is like, some kind of secret new idea that must be guarded?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gripweed posted:

OK seriously why are you guys acting like the idea of playing through multiple routes of the same story to get the whole thing is like, some kind of secret new idea that must be guarded?

I'm not guarding anything, just trying to simplify it. I can go further in depth if you want? It's an old dang game, I don't mind. Admittedly I did not play its remake.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Some of it is that what you’re describing isn’t totally the case

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I'm not guarding anything, just trying to simplify it. I can go further in depth if you want? It's an old dang game, I don't mind. Admittedly I did not play its remake.

he's playing automata, not the original nier

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Just play the game OP it's pretty good. ignore all the posts about it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's really less "playing the game multiple times" and more "The game has three/four acts with each act ending with credits." The second part is, yes, covering much of the first part from a different character's perspective, but there are significant differences in gameplay and a fair bit of new story content.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I didn't know what people were talking about. I typically don't give a poo poo about post-credits content because "there's more after the credits" usually means, like, a couple extra dungeons. Not whole new plot routes.

To just be specific instead of vague posting without actually going over plot stuff in specifics: Route B is basically Nier Automata: Director’s Cut, you play as 9S which means some new stuff in the instances where he and 2B are separated, and more side quests that his hacking gimmick opens up on top of being able to do the ones you weren’t leveled enough for before. Also, it addresses the thing you didn’t care for with bosses since every single one gets at least a little info dump/interlude of their deal, and has a lot of new plot stuff in general towards the end of his campaign.

Route C/D/E is just straight up the second half of the game that continues on from the finale of what you recently finished, called C/D/E because it culminates in a choice of how you go about the final boss, and a third choice after doing C/D, so it’s not three playthroughs since the chapter select unlocked after a clear just lets you skip to the C/D decision.

Hope that’s helpful. :)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Goons have the most obtuse and counterintuitive thinking regarding spoilers possible. In general they feel a self appointed duty to try to keep their fellow posters in the dark so they may vicariously live through their experiences to reminisce of their own. But, their need to encourage people whom they feel will not be as taken with it as they were sometimes runs up against a real or perceived lack of interest. In this case they end up posting absolute nonsense and overly enigmatic "hints" of what is to come. This works almost never because the player has no goddamn clue what the gently caress they're on about.

I suppose this grows both from the desire to see their own experience replayed and out of the insane spoiler culture that had the site in a far harder grip earlier in time when some looney toons decided such things as previews and trailers could also be considered spoilers and swaths of threads came to resemble Top Secret documents rather than discussion

All this to say. Route 1 has you playing 2B, 2 has you replaying the same content but through the lens of 9S, and the other routes are continuations of the action of those two routes that expand the world and characters once you've come to a firm grasp of the principle participants.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Just play the game OP it's pretty good. ignore all the posts about it

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i tried to convey that the game literally just keeps going but i guess i failed :(

monster hunter does the same thing, you get credits rolling after beating low rank but there's still like, the whole rest of the game left

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I don't remember exactly but I think people are being weird because the alternate route thing is like a twist? It seems like the game is restarting but then the timeline changes or something.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's also 21 joke endings covering the whole alphabet, scattered all through the story. A lot of them are things like not going the right way when the story is trying to advance and getting hit with "and so, 2B wandered away from the imminent massive crisis situation to go fish in a sewer for a thousand years or whatever it is you thought you were doing. Nice one."

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

I don't remember exactly but I think people are being weird because the alternate route thing is like a twist? It seems like the game is restarting but then the timeline changes or something.

it's not really a twist: the first two chapters are a rashomen-esque split narrative, and then the rest follow (mostly) sequentially. there's certainly narrative twists within the story, but "the game actually has more than 3 hours of content" is not one of them

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i played nier and toggled some setting this person or the game was like "nooo dont ever pick this setting" and I kinda lost interest before I ever found out if I ever hosed something up or that was exactly what you're supposed to do.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

i played nier and toggled some setting this person or the game was like "nooo dont ever pick this setting" and I kinda lost interest before I ever found out if I ever hosed something up or that was exactly what you're supposed to do.

you can remove some of your core chips, which i think include the self-destruct and OS, the latter of which instantly game overs you

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here is today’s crop of triangle strat evil portraits. It will never not be funny to me. Like 80% of characters look evil

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Also I wish there was a menu that collected these character summaries.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Goons have the most obtuse and counterintuitive thinking regarding spoilers possible.

I think it's the Doctor Who thread in TVIV that gets its nose out of joint for discussing the Next Ep Preview, as there are a bunch of posters who refuse to watch the preview as it spoils the experience for them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

that's the same person

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Some people are genderfluid it's ok

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i got to the part of hitman 3/ hitman 2 where it prompts me to buy the hitman 2 dlc. its like 30 bucks, so i was like, hmm how much to just buy everything in one go on steam instead of snowballing dlc onto gamespass title that'll roll out eventually. expected it to be a big chunk since i'd be rebuying the entire game/trilogy, but lol i couldnt even tell what the hell to buy to do the math. there's helpfully a review that explains what all to buy to get "pretty much everything" and it involves buying two hitman games from before the reboot/remake trilogy, because that gets you more of the games than buying the dlc meant to be the old games' content somehow. i know this isnt new bs but i didnt play hitman until recently so kinda didn't grasp the annoyance at launch.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 18, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

congratulations on becoming literally the last person that is able to complain about that
https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-to-world-of-assassination/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hah, so the same 30 bucks for hitman 2 dlc will soon get the same as the current deluxe dlc bundle. but looks like the hitman 2 expansion dlc is the only thing that actually adds new maps anyway

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

everything in the deluxe pack is rear end anyway, including the h2 dlc. they made them on no budget and they're practically empty outside of the incredibly narrow scope of the mission stories. get it on sale maybe

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I still like the idea of people not playing NieR after beating it. Just thinking "Yup, that was a game" and moving on with their lives.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I still think it's very funny that Nier Automata's fakeout first ending manages to catch so many people. Like it still manages to work as an ending, in a conventionally heroic narrative sort of way, and you can walk away feeling kinda good about it without actually knowing what happens after that point.

And then they stumble onto a spoiler discussion and slowly start to realize they stopped at the end of Act 1 of a much bigger story.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the real reason not to play nier automata is because the combat is so incredibly boring

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I find it difficult to continue playing after reaching any credits screen, my only temporary reprieve from the curse of playing video games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

but it feels so good :wom:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Runa posted:

I still think it's very funny that Nier Automata's fakeout first ending manages to catch so many people. Like it still manages to work as an ending, in a conventionally heroic narrative sort of way, and you can walk away feeling kinda good about it without actually knowing what happens after that point.

And then they stumble onto a spoiler discussion and slowly start to realize they stopped at the end of Act 1 of a much bigger story.

Especially when it literally tells you at the end there's more lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Foul Fowl posted:

the real reason not to play nier automata is because the combat is so incredibly boring

i agree with this but i went in expecting bayonetta levels of platinum flashy combat and its just not that, i remember actually thinking "this combat reminds me of golden axe or streets of rage" but then i played streets of rage 4 and the combat in that owns so :shrug: