Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fridge corn posted:

It feels like this set has lasted forever. I havent played in like three weeks at least and still another three weeks to go. Was DMU around for this long cuz it sure didnt feel like it

You're not wrong, there's a weird asymmetry in set releases where some of them are only the most recent set for two months and change, while others stick around for over three months.

Makes some amount of sense in a world where people take a bunch of time off from playing at their LGS over the holiday season, makes way less sense for a digital game.

I guess they're still constrained by the people at the print house taking holiday time off, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
:( my historic deck got thrown in the trash that's what I get for investing wildcards in an alchemized format

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kashuno posted:

:( my historic deck got thrown in the trash that's what I get for investing wildcards in an alchemized format

What happened?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Kashuno posted:

If it's the goblin trapfinder deck, note that if they had just banned instead of nerfing you'd still only be getting 4 uncommon wildcards back and any rares you had spent to get the deck to actually work you'd still be out. Not an alchemy exclusive problem by any means.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
yeah that's true, free mana stuff is always a risky investment of resources.

fadam posted:

What happened?

nerfed trapfinder so it reduces cost by 1 instead of 2 so it doesn't go infinite with ominous traveler anymore. Sad times. For anyone playing alchemy formats:

https://mtgarena-support.wizards.com/hc/en-us/articles/12438205894164-Patch-Notes-2022-22-50

Buffs for spirits and samurai decks

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Did a Kaldheim draft because I never got around to do it when it was current, but it's not old enough that I don't know the cards! I think it went pretty well.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/cd5bef9432614a1e97c6a386d9369859

Too bad that I didn't get the GB Elf lord. Too good that I got the Planeswalker Elf lord instead, lol. Also, really can't complain about the rares in general.

That's my build idea. I don't think going aggro with the four boastelves is going to work, and the Pick doesn't seem necessary either. I'd rather ramp/fix into some fat drops.

I didn't get enough Snow together for Blessing to be worth it, I think. The Priests are therefore also not sensible. It's possible that the two Draugr Helmets aren't great, maybe I should take one or two out for the Recluse and the Pick?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Where does "Math is for Blockers" come from?

Jolo posted:

The final matches for each challenge against people have all been really hard to understand. Played one earlier and the other player had a bunch of Werewolves that triggered a Day/Night status that buffed/debuffed his wolves. They ended up with a ton of creatures on their side and when my turn came, deciding whether to attack with my flyers, which he couldn't do anything about, was this very hard to parse math problem where I knew I needed to hold them back to block because they couldn't finish him off on that turn but deciding where to block and with what was just a nightmare.
The first time I saw Day/Night on Arena I assumed it was a particularly garish emote and didn't really bother understanding it.

A lot of good info, I'd just add that different decks have different time commitments. I was running a grindy WG deck that would inflate big creatures and eventually swing for lethal once I had a dozen or so and didn't have to calculate anything. Games would last a while, 10+ minutes. I've switched to a mono-R aggro deck where things are over, good or bad, by turn 4. Games rarely crack 4 minutes, a lot more fun for the same time invested.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
an aggro player probably coined it

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Oh thats what all the cards were after updating.

Honestly trapfinder/traveler combo is annoying to play against so I can't say I'm sad to see it nerfed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gently caress, they broke apart the draft token/mastery pass bundle. Guess I'm not spending any money on that poo poo anymore!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

gently caress, they broke apart the draft token/mastery pass bundle. Guess I'm not spending any money on that poo poo anymore!

It's such bullshit

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Captain Invictus posted:

wait seriously? why the gently caress would they do that.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
What are you two upset about? Instead of $50 for mastery pass, 3 draft tokens, and 1 sealed token it's now $40 for mastery pass, 2 draft tokens, and 1 sealed token. A draft sis $7.50 in gems so guess what the price is technically cheaper. Or just buy gems and draft with them.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

It's a very obvious trial balloon for them to split products into ever smaller sizes and gradually raise the prices over time to where you're paying more for fewer things. This time around the token pack is $15 and the Mastery Pass is $25, which is probably a savings compared to the usual $50 for them combined (: https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/mtg-arena/mtg-arena-announcements-january-16-2023. We won't know for sure until we see what the duration and rewards structure of the Mastery Pass is.

Maybe that will be a one time exception for this particular set, but I doubt it and we're all better off not encouraging this trend to continue.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I'd rather have them split it apart even more. Being forced to buy the sealed token was a real drag because sealed doesn't have a very good return on investment overall - the average is decent because going 3-3 gives back 1200 gems and 3 packs plus the 6 you opened, but wins over 3 give very small rewards and wins under 3 have really bad returns. Premier draft is definitely better.

Also, I really don't like sealed.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, on first blush this lets people who just want one of the two pieces it's split into pick it up without spending extra money on things they don't want. maybe it'll turn into something bad in the future, who knows!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Captain Invictus posted:

lol good i have enough gems saved up to just get the mastery pass without spending money

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I have never seen alchemy spirits or samurai ever. Was someone at wizards sad their pet deck isnt good or somethibg?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I have never seen alchemy spirits or samurai ever. Was someone at wizards sad their pet deck isnt good or somethibg?

The idea is that they buff some bad/middling cards to see if they get a boost and become playable. I think the philosophy was that they pick cards that are getting a "lot" of play (especially by casuals, a lot of the time tribal decks) and pump them up so that they win a little more? I forget where I read that and might have made it up completely.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

all the alchemy buffs have been to archetypes that didn't have decks happening previously, to make them potentially good enough to be run. it'd kind of defeat the point to buff decks and archetypes people were already successfully playing

edit:

Lone Goat posted:

The idea is that they buff some bad/middling cards to see if they get a boost and become playable. I think the philosophy was that they pick cards that are getting a "lot" of play (especially by casuals, a lot of the time tribal decks) and pump them up so that they win a little more? I forget where I read that and might have made it up completely.

nah, that's right, part of their metrics are looking at archetypes people tried to make successful that just didn't get there

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ithle01 posted:

What are you two upset about? Instead of $50 for mastery pass, 3 draft tokens, and 1 sealed token it's now $40 for mastery pass, 2 draft tokens, and 1 sealed token. A draft sis $7.50 in gems so guess what the price is technically cheaper. Or just buy gems and draft with them.
I've not logged in since I'm at work, just got the email talking about it. If it's cheaper to get the tokens and pass etc than before, then fine, I figured they would be doing something like 25 and 25 instead, but if it's cheaper that's fine, though I don't trust wotc to not gently caress it up eventually.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah the prospect of turning bad decks into mediocre decks is like the greatest virtue to the concept of alchemy and if anything they don't do ENOUGH of that.

newershadow
May 18, 2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's a very obvious trial balloon for them to split products into ever smaller sizes and gradually raise the prices over time to where you're paying more for fewer things. This time around the token pack is $15 and the Mastery Pass is $25, which is probably a savings compared to the usual $50 for them combined (: https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/mtg-arena/mtg-arena-announcements-january-16-2023. We won't know for sure until we see what the duration and rewards structure of the Mastery Pass is.

Maybe that will be a one time exception for this particular set, but I doubt it and we're all better off not encouraging this trend to continue.

The Mastery Pass Details are out now, and March of the Machines releases on Arena on April 18th, so it will be around for 10 weeks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
edit checked

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Mastery pass pack is the $15 one. It’s actually a good deal this time since the mastery pass itself is usually $17 worth of gems. Plus this comes with a pet I personally like, an elesh norn card back, and a copy of the new elesh norn. Seems fine to me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

newershadow posted:

The Mastery Pass Details are out now, and March of the Machines releases on Arena on April 18th, so it will be around for 10 weeks.

Oh yeah it's short-set season too.

Cool.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Nice payout this week.

:3:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PhilippAchtel posted:

Nice payout this week.

:3:

aw, that's cute art.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I like that CGB is going a month of HBrawl content and it seems to mostly be "Here's how Paradox Engine breaks the game - again."

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
As someone that didn't play during the New Phyrexia block and hated poison counters in Kadlheim, how much will I hate this new expansion when I'm getting poisoned by big gently caress off creatures?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

So far relatively few of the Toxic creatures are huge or have Deathtouch, so mostly as long as you have enough blockers you're fine.

But then Kaldheim had almost no poison counters so I'm not sure why they deserved that much hate.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

As someone that didn't play during the New Phyrexia block and hated poison counters in Kadlheim, how much will I hate this new expansion when I'm getting poisoned by big gently caress off creatures?

Decks in ONE look like they will be more likely to kill you through pure damage in most cases before the poison does, unlike infect from NPH which really needed you to go all in to build. The real pain points will probably be 1 (for proliferate) and 3 (for corrupted). If there's a lot of repeatable cheap proliferate, that first counter could be a much bigger deal than the 2-4 damage getting through, and getting Corrupted feels like it is gonna be a big deal. That tapper that reduces its tap ability from 4 to 1 when an opponent is corrupted is one of those commons I think may define the format if getting to 3 counters isn't too tough.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

You likely don't just instantly lose from two poison counters to a dipshit 2/1 with an X pump spell on it, since Toxic is a fixed number of poison regardless of how much regular (life) damage you'd take.

But you might instantly lose to a creature that does a high amount of toxic (we've seen toxic 6 already, though that's on a seven drop) if there's a trample combat trick, so let's say you'll hate it it 8/10.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TBF you'd lose (in limited) to that 7 drop even if it didn't have toxic 6, it's an 8/8 with ward 4 trample and haste that can;t be countered, it probably kills you in two swings even without toxic by the time it's cast.

And if someone's playing a 7 drop against you in constructed and you don't already have the game on lock something's gone wrong anyway.

There's also a toxic 9 creature which is hilarious but the requirements to animate it from its artifact form are absolutely nonsensically hard to achieve.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

TBF you'd lose (in limited) to that 7 drop even if it didn't have toxic 6, it's an 8/8 with ward 4 trample and haste that can;t be countered, it probably kills you in two swings even without toxic by the time it's cast.

And if someone's playing a 7 drop against you in constructed and you don't already have the game on lock something's gone wrong anyway.

There's also a toxic 9 creature which is hilarious but the requirements to animate it from its artifact form are absolutely nonsensically hard to achieve.

I meant the uncommon 5GG 6/7 toxic 6 that can't be blocked by power 2 or less, not the mythic. I assumed we were talking about limited lol

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

I meant the uncommon 5GG 6/7 toxic 6 that can't be blocked by power 2 or less, not the mythic. I assumed we were talking about limited lol

Oh lmao i missed that one.

That;s probably also gonna be a problem, though not as much of one as the mythic.

Ah i see there's way more on magicspoiler than on scryfall, i should have been looking there. I forgot.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

But then Kaldheim had almost no poison counters so I'm not sure why they deserved that much hate.

Probably because of Fynn, the Fangbearer most likely. He gives deathtouchers the ability to add poison counters when they deal player damage.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Horace Kinch posted:

Probably because of Fynn, the Fangbearer most likely. He gives deathtouchers the ability to add poison counters when they deal player damage.

Like i said, almost no poison counters. I know where they came from, even in that block in both limited and constructed I almost never saw the Fynn deck and never found it a particularly bad experience when i did.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Kaldeheim draft is fun and being phantom means I could go with a berserker deck without any regrets. Bloodsky massacre with a backing of immerstrum predator and tergrid, which without multiple skull raids isn't as back breaking as I would have thought. I did have an opponent name berserker with crippling fear and wiped their own board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Do we have any idea what the Battle card type is going to be? Or waiting for more spoilers?