Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CatBlack posted:

I pretend my synth's volume is a boost pedal. It's another thing to dial in for sweet spots.

Also hell yeah, cheap rear end pedals are the best

Well Joyo is getting a lot of love everywhere anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
the joyo atmosphere is quite appealing to me. will probably get it at some point but i have to take it easy a little bit because i just bought a stupid amount of cheap pedals and a not so cheap mooer r7 x2 reverb.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Chronoblob2 ftw. I love having a send and return in the feedback path

And you know what? These Flamma stereo delay and reverb pedals are pretty kick rear end for reasonable cost too.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
chronoblob2 looks sick, i wish I had more HP

Flamma pedals are really nice. I have those 2, the stereo modulation pedal, and a mini rat clone from them. I'm trying to amass a lot of stereo pedals and I hope to one day have them connected to a patch bay

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

The Teensy I ordered arrived the other day and I got M8 headless running through the web display. Really impressed with it so far, it's like they took every sharp edge of LSDJ and sanded it smooth. Big one for me is making the B+A combo return the selected option to default no matter what it is, in LSDJ this only worked on certain things and it always bugged me.

Looking forward to diving in deeper after work tonight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wait until you get into the FM synth. It really hits a sweet spot of simplicity and depth allowing it to punch well above its weight.

Obviously the Braids implementation is the first star of the show because you can get some big sounds with no work but once you get into playing with FM and tables the sky's the limit.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

xzzy posted:

Wait until you get into the FM synth. It really hits a sweet spot of simplicity and depth allowing it to punch well above its weight.

That's really what I meant when I said I was planning on diving deeper. The FM Synth seems really powerful I just need to wrap my head around how it all works. I've been able to get some nice sounds from it but I'm having trouble making percussion. I did notice Dirtywave sells a synth-drum pack on their site so I might grab that to learn how they're made.

My main experience with sound design is on my Digitakt and that is very visual and not FM so translating that to the m8 might take me some time.

e: looks like Dirtywave made a kick from scratch in one of their livestreams, this should help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjCqkZceYvQ&t=636s

e2: gently caress yeah i made a kick and it sounds cool

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 13, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, the drumkit pack sounds amazing. There's a lot to learn in there. Or just use them as presets.

There's also some good sounds here to learn from: https://www.impbox.net/matey/

It's still got that FM trap of everything turning to poo poo if you start changing settings without a plan but it's not as bad as DX7 style patches because there's fewer parameters. Just the learning curve of new concepts (such as the tables).

I'm still trash at FM but someday I'll figure it out.. right?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I built a Zlob Modular VnIcursal VCA module.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWserMeKdmQ

I have too many VCAs now.

Here are some <1-minute clips:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxMEm_MdiXDXlwChqExhIfCIfiluAxO3SZ

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxMfu8QT3SZyY0Ib8fHPAe8UdbdgAGw4aY

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxtyt36UgEtrhCPopzg56RDYpXrlQzj8Hm

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxegWgb9XUtH4iJmVizQ_2dMUYZOwnNE6D

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx0ZW1B-9FVtuKk1cfez9TrvqsWjV0EKkj

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxVBH_BsLj_yJLOY5w0ueBU-kB_pXiagZh

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

xzzy posted:

There's also some good sounds here to learn from: https://www.impbox.net/matey/

oh sweet! i'll definitely explore these later

following the dirtywave video i posted really helped me, i was completely misunderstanding how the mods worked and was overall just overtuning everything. small changes to the operators really go a long way.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm kicking myself because I bought a Renoise license and that's about it for my music budget this month. I want a friggin teensy to M8.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CatBlack posted:

chronoblob2 looks sick, i wish I had more HP

Flamma pedals are really nice. I have those 2, the stereo modulation pedal, and a mini rat clone from them. I'm trying to amass a lot of stereo pedals and I hope to one day have them connected to a patch bay

Thought of you for among others when I saw this:

https://i.imgur.com/IgpfeVD.mp4

It's a laugh how many people I talk to here seem to have black cats. About that many.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:hmmyes:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

My old, departed kitty was black. Two fellas now are tabby.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got drunk and ordered a hat apparently.

Kinda cool imo.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rolo posted:

I got drunk and ordered a hat apparently.

Kinda cool imo.

Looks like somebody's AV could use an update

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It fits with the alcohol theme because my SP404 is my favorite drunk-music-thing. Everyone has one.

petit choux posted:

Looks like somebody's AV could use an update

God I’ve had this one for like 16 years.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

It's cold so they've got their paws tucked into each other

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rolo posted:

It fits with the alcohol theme because my SP404 is my favorite drunk-music-thing. Everyone has one.

God I’ve had this one for like 16 years.

Whoah whoah I say there boy I didn't mean we should actually do it (Foghorn Leghorn)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
thinking of ordering one of the new Cosmix mixers about to drop. I've wanted an in rack mixer for a while, it's got sliders which is a big plus over hexmix. Anything else I should look at? i don't want to spend PM money

downsides of the comix appear to be: only two channels have cv panning, no EQ, no expansion module yet so it's vaporware. note: you can use these things in parallel already linked with the expansion port. 4 channels plus 2 stereo is fine for now though, that's what I'm working with on a zed10fx more or less

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Probably worth comparing to the Toppobrillo and the SSF.

I really like my vortices, but have been thinking about switching to the minimix and downsizing my case quite a bit.

The saturation is definitely noticable on the vortices - there's a Hifi version without the tape saturation. Both are probably going to unobtanium at some point in the relatively near future.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Cabbages and Kings posted:

thinking of ordering one of the new Cosmix mixers about to drop. I've wanted an in rack mixer for a while, it's got sliders which is a big plus over hexmix. Anything else I should look at? i don't want to spend PM money

downsides of the comix appear to be: only two channels have cv panning, no EQ, no expansion module yet so it's vaporware. note: you can use these things in parallel already linked with the expansion port. 4 channels plus 2 stereo is fine for now though, that's what I'm working with on a zed10fx more or less

The new cosmix looks nice but imho the integrated overdrive circuit was a huge selling point of the original version.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The new cosmix looks nice but imho the integrated overdrive circuit was a huge selling point of the original version.

2 aux circuits, tho! Cosmotronic says just buy a Perdam as well and use that as aux1 ;)

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Man, I love my m8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jtr2Un6TU4

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dude that is hosed up

I'd better add "in a good way" in case it wasn't clear

petit choux fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 16, 2023

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

oh man i want this to go on for like 12 minutes and get completely emerged in it

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

watho posted:

oh man i want this to go on for like 12 minutes and get completely emerged in it

Seems doable

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
The Befaco CV Thing has me intrigued.

Should I just go whole hog and get the VCMC?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

dexefiend posted:

The Befaco CV Thing has me intrigued.

Should I just go whole hog and get the VCMC?

I think it depends on what you want to do, 20hp is a lot compared to 6.

I might have thought harder if I hadn't found a CV Thing for $180, though, and was weighing full retail on the two.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Looks like I'm pulling the trigger on the Bastl Midi Looper, I can't seem to get enough of weaving patterns with sound. Okay, did it.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 18, 2023

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

anyone use the Korg NTS-1 as an fx unit?

seems like a great option for cheap fx

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

anyone use the Korg NTS-1 as an fx unit?

seems like a great option for cheap fx

It’s a nice little FX box, but be aware the output plug breaks off of the board very easily.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Slore Tactician posted:

It’s a nice little FX box, but be aware the output plug breaks off of the board very easily.

thanks - I'll make note of that when building it

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Finally got around to loading a ton of custom wavetables on the E352 and wow, that thing is capable of an incredible array of sounds from the same table, can use them as waveforms in its 2 operator mode, etc. Just a stupidly powerful VCO in an absolutely heinous amount of HP with knobs the size of thumbs.

I want an E370. Do not.... do not....

e: the diff between what I could sell the E352 for and what I'd pay for a 370 is less than what's in my slush fund right now :raise:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Not to get you excited or anything but master paults is retiring from euro. Were I interested, I would not tarry.

MW post from 5/22 posted:

tl;dr: I'm retiring from Eurorack in March of 2023. Not today, not tomorrow.
. . .
So, when will that be? Guessing around March of 2023 for DEALERs. I will keep my SHOP page up for 2023 until the very last units are sold. And I know what you are thinking: I'll just wait and he'll put them on sale. That's actually the opposite: when I run out of the dealer stock, the price will go up 15%.

This decision is based on not just lack of ARMs "going forward". My wife is retiring her business in May 2023 and wants us to relax and play full-time grandparents. I'll be 67 and agree. I'll let Tom Oberheim represent old farts trudging onwards.

If by some miracle my E370 parts show up say early 2023 I will take pre-orders (paid in advance) to cover the demand and build what is requested. The E352 is fine, the E440 is fine.

Lastly, no more firmware for the E352 or 370 will be released in the future UNLESS a major bug is found. There MAY, I repeat....MAY be 1 last E520 release, that's a 50-50 shot.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Ouch, I wanted to get the E340 Cloud Generator at some point but I probably won't anymore. I have the E950 Circuit Bent VCO and love it, it's a Speak and Spell without the branding.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I feel a lot less panicky about major players moving out of Eurorack now that a lot of this stuff exists in some fashion VCVrack. It'll never be the same as having a physical module but it's enough of a balm for my chronic gear FOMO that I don't feel the need to run out and panic buy any Synthesis Technology stuff on the tail of that news.

It also helps that there's just so much cool stuff in Eurorack right now and there continues to be more cool stuff made. When I first got into it there was that sense that any of your dream modules could evaporate into the ether if you didn't get them the first chance you had, but I just don't feel that worried about it anymore.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I feel a lot less panicky about major players moving out of Eurorack now that a lot of this stuff exists in some fashion VCVrack. It'll never be the same as having a physical module but it's enough of a balm for my chronic gear FOMO that I don't feel the need to run out and panic buy any Synthesis Technology stuff on the tail of that news.

It also helps that there's just so much cool stuff in Eurorack right now and there continues to be more cool stuff made. When I first got into it there was that sense that any of your dream modules could evaporate into the ether if you didn't get them the first chance you had, but I just don't feel that worried about it anymore.

Mutable Instruments always did this the best, I thought. Open source software, open hardware plans, totally OK with clones existing. Basically a ton of stuff to plan forward for what's happened, stopping production of Eurorack modules. I have no problem with it because I know clones will be around.

I have two MI clones, because they're 1U in form factor:
Peaks: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/after-later-audio-pique-upeaks-black-1u-intellijel-format
Veils: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/after-later-audio-dvca-1u-intellijel-format

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I feel like Emilie really set the stage for Eurorack to come, I feel like there's enough people in the Eurorack world that care about having the "true" or "original" module that even if another big/popular company open sourced their modules, you'd still have people hunting down and paying for the actual article, so it feels like it wouldn't cut that much into your bottom line. But that's just a guess on my part. I have MI Braids and Clouds and even though both have a bunch of clones out there (and the Braids was basically replaced by the Plaits) I still feel like I could probably hold on to them for a couple of years and sell them for at least as much as I paid for them, if not more. In general I really couldn't care less that they're MI instead of a clone, but I know there are people out there who do care, a lot... so I say open source all the modules.

Hell, even when I got into Euro at first, there were at least a few modules that were "heavily inspired by the discontinued module x" and I can't see that kind of legacy going away, ever, especially given how many classic Euro modules are effectively Buchla clones with some extra spice added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

That makes a lot of sense. The presence of plaits algorithms in my microfreak doesn't diminish the prestige of the real deal. If anything, it boosts it. Having it open source from the get go probably helped a lot with that.