Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Boris Galerkin posted:

and everybody was outraged for the wrong bad-faith reasons.

This is a real stupid point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Admiral Joeslop posted:

PF2e's Reddit page got a pretty big bump, whether that translates to more sales/players in the long-term who knows. When GW was making GBS threads the bed and cancelled Warhammer Fantasy, Mantic made noises about getting a big increase in players but either they didn't or no one stuck around.

From the noises coming from PF2e groups, there's a lot of interest and exploration that doesn't necessarily equate to buying the books.

There's also a ton of interest in Pathbuilder and free character generation tools. This is unsurprising because while D&D 5e actually improved the first time character generation process quite a bit by dividing it across multiple levels, PF2e went in exactly the opposite direction and requires you to make a bunch of key decisions before you can roll dice one.

There's also a lot of LFG, which isn't always being successful. I'm counting that this is what Wizards are counting on to bring folks back into the 5e fold. I'm guessing this is a Reverse Birthday Paradox or something else related to numbers and combinations. On the other hand there seem to be people loving the extra options that are made available in early chargen.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

hyphz posted:

From the noises coming from PF2e groups, there's a lot of interest and exploration that doesn't necessarily equate to buying the books.

There's also a ton of interest in Pathbuilder and free character generation tools. This is unsurprising because while D&D 5e actually improved the first time character generation process quite a bit by dividing it across multiple levels, PF2e went in exactly the opposite direction and requires you to make a bunch of key decisions before you can roll dice one.

There's also a lot of LFG, which isn't always being successful. I'm counting that this is what Wizards are counting on to bring folks back into the 5e fold. I'm guessing this is a Reverse Birthday Paradox or something else related to numbers and combinations. On the other hand there seem to be people loving the extra options that are made available in early chargen.

Pathbuilder and that Archives of Netherys site seem like a pretty good starting point if someone wanted to get into Pathfinder. There's always going to be some issues, but it seems like it's a function of the system being more crunchy than 5e. There's also the pandemic making zoom or discord games a lot more popular/wide spread that's going to help a lot of people find a group to play with that's going to help anyone who wants to switch.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

seaborgium posted:

Pathbuilder and that Archives of Netherys site seem like a pretty good starting point if someone wanted to get into Pathfinder. There's always going to be some issues, but it seems like it's a function of the system being more crunchy than 5e. There's also the pandemic making zoom or discord games a lot more popular/wide spread that's going to help a lot of people find a group to play with that's going to help anyone who wants to switch.

It is more crunchy, but it's also the number of decisions you have to make.

D&D 5e changed things so that you only have to choose:
- Your race
- Your class
- How you assign your ability scores (defaults given)
- Your equipment (defaults given)

Before you can get to the table at 1st level.

For PF2e, you have to choose:

- Your ancestry
- To be a typical member of that ancestry or not
- Your heritage or versatile heritage
- Your first Ancestry Feat
- Your background
- Your class
- Your class splat
- Your first class feat
- Your ability boost assignments
- Your skill proficiency increases

And not surprisingly, it's dividing people between the "wow, so much choice!" people and the "I have to do what?" people.

But I think the Inverse Birthday Paradox problem is real. If there's 90 D&D players and 10 PF2 players, there are 2555190 possibilities for 4-player groups that can form from those 90 players (this obviously does not mean that number of groups could actually exist at once - it's the number of potential combinations), and only 210 possible 4-player groups for PF2. So the chance of finding "your group" among the potential PF2 groups is much worse than 10%.

I tried playing around with the nCr formula:

If 50% of D&D players went to PF2, finding a PF2 group would be the same difficulty as finding a D&D group would be in that situation. But up until that point there's a vicious power-law distribution going on. If 25% of players play PF2, only 1.21% of potentially formable groups play PF2.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm surprised there aren't any default quickstart packages in PF2.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The simple character creation in 5e is honestly great.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm surprised there aren't any default quickstart packages in PF2.

Each class has three sample builds that cover everything but ability scores and ancestry at level 1 and usually have recommendations up to level 4 or 6.

Also, each core class has a recommended equipment kit at level 1.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

hyphz posted:

It is more crunchy, but it's also the number of decisions you have to make.

That's true but it's also why D&D 5e characters are boring as poo poo and generic until 3rd level or so, because they're barely even a member of their class yet. PF2E also has explicit rules and recommendations around allowing 'retraining'.

I have a friend who is running multiple 5e games for new players or even non-players you would call them I guess. He helps most of them when levelling and making decisions, and still has to do some hand holding during fights (many are level 6+ at this point). It's not that unlike what you might see on CR or other tabletop streams where the players are gamers and/or nerds but not really TTRPG players. It really doesn't matter that 5e is 'easier' than PF2, because they're barely going to learn 5e either, they learn the main actions and features they use regularly, and end up asking questions about everything else.

They'll end up playing whatever he does. I think one of the things that matters most is that with D&D Beyond he can go in and inspect/tweak/update their characters easily. So a lot comes down to the tooling and how easy and low-effort it is for him to help them. That depends a lot on things. The pathbuilder developer has said they're working on shared editing of characters. Obviously the GM can do whatever they want inside Foundry VTT if you're using that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One D&D from the playtest is getting a bit more complicated with more choices, but still has easy to pick defaults at all stages.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Roadie posted:

Each class has three sample builds that cover everything but ability scores and ancestry at level 1 and usually have recommendations up to level 4 or 6.

Oh. So is it hard to pick those on Pathbuilder?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

hyphz posted:

- Your race
- Your class
- How you assign your ability scores (defaults given)
- Your equipment (defaults given)

Before you can get to the table at 1st level.

For PF2e, you have to choose:

- Your ancestry
- To be a typical member of that ancestry or not
- Your heritage or versatile heritage
- Your first Ancestry Feat
- Your background
- Your class
- Your class splat
- Your first class feat
- Your ability boost assignments
- Your skill proficiency increases

5e also has backgrounds though? And skill options to select?

And if you pick the right (or wrong, I guess) 5e class, then you also need to pick a subclass. Choose variant human and you can get a feat at level 1 as well - and from what I hear, most people prefer to just hand out free feats anyway at level 1.

I'm not saying that PF2 is lighter than 5e or anything, but the difference between the two is not quite as stark as that IMO.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'm actually starting a PF2e game in the next week or so. My first time GMing a campaign, and four of the five players have never played Pathfinder before. Two of them have never played a TTRPG before. I'm anticipating a lot of handholding in the early stages. Basically I'm going to offer people the chance to do a 1 to 1 on developing the character if it's all just mystifying. And thankfully my DM from my regular 5e game is one of the players and he's already doing a little bit of "deputy GM" stuff just in helping people out.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You have to enter the builds yourself, but you can add/buy the recommended equipment pack as a single item.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Roadie posted:

Here's what they look like in the book:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not terribly.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Roadie posted:

Wow, weird that hyphz would just skip over useful information that undermines the point he was trying to make

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Tarnop posted:

Wow, weird that hyphz would just skip over useful information that undermines the point he was trying to make

Of course, the process of using a prebuilt character is the same in D&D 5e, PF2e, or pretty much game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Megazver posted:

Here's what they look like in the book:

Not terribly.

also if you're thinking "wow that's a lot of ability scores that's not helpful at all" PF2e gives you four increases to different scores at once and they even out over time except for your absolute primary ability score which is the only one that gets super huge. so it fits perfectly!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

hyphz posted:

Of course, the process of using a prebuilt character is the same in D&D 5e, PF2e, or pretty much game.

:goofy:

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

D&D5e is all about the lowest common denominator and a path of least resistance.

If pazio can release a 2.5e that simplifies certain things, then they'd be cooking

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

miniscule12 posted:

D&D5e is all about the lowest common denominator and a path of least resistance.

If pazio can release a 2.5e that simplifies certain things, then they'd be cooking

Which certain things do you mean?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

PF2E would benefit from a condensed "How to build a character quickly!" document that includes all pre-built lists in a single place.

I'd order the steps slightly differently:

- Open Pathbuilder
- Pick a class. What's the primary stat? You're going to set that to 18, keep it in mind. Put your Class boost there
- Pick an Ancestry. Thanks to the update, you get two boosts. Put one in your main stat, put the other wherever
- Pick a background that looks fun. Put one boost in your main stat, put the other wherever
- Place your four free boosts: One to you main stat, the other three as you feel like
- Select level 1 feats and skill training, see the prebuilts if you want ideas
- Buy the Kit of your Class, add any weapons/armor that you would like
- Something something spells something (I'm not usually a spellcaster)
- Play! Use BitD logic to buy equipment that you realize you would have already had on your person
- Don't like it after the session? Respec!
- Start looking at L2 and above for later build ideas

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Choose a class; boost the main stat; boost the main stat; boost the main stat; boost the main stat.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
honestly you could kill most skill feats in pf2 and make the neat ones remaining into archetypes with some poached class features and you'd be just fine. if you need to fill in the dead levels, play with free archetype rules and have the free archetype levels be on your odd levels instead of skill feats.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Update on this. Namely he can't show anything tomorrow like he planned.

https://twitter.com/DnD_Shorts/status/1615446591166623744

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Roadie posted:

Which certain things do you mean?

character options, options in combat, options for roleplaying, thin out the setting too

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

MonsterEnvy posted:

lol

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pure speculation here but the line about accuracy makes me think he jumped the gun on the $30 sub stuff. I’ll wait for Linda or another journalist to come out with the news. The tweeting he did at Crawford was weird.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Not so sure about DnD Shorts.

These are neither comfy, nor easy to wear.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Theoretically if they were going to do a content subscription, it wouldn't necessarily need to be new content that Wizards produced. They could use 3rd party content from DM's Guild, the same way Humble Bundle, Playstation Plus, or other video game subscriptions work.

In fact if you want to get really :tinfoil: about it then under OGL 1.1 as leaked they wouldn't even need to pay the creators or get permission, since that license seems to grant them control of OGL 1.1 content.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/newbiedm/status/1615509867950911496?t=uWrlCWL04H1OxpYiV9IeVw&s=19

That's gotta be MtG. No wonder the execs saw D&D as undermonetised.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer posted:

Yeah it's going to be heartbreaker city but you know what I'm here for that. If we get some good stuff out of it great, if not we'll have some laughs.

I am absolutely expecting 90% of these games's design process to start with "OK our six stats are might, agility, toughness, logic, instinct, and charm" as a basic, not even thought about thinking about it assumption though.
https://twitter.com/mattcolville/status/1615091245520678912
:negative:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Has anyone ever actually sat down, wrote and posted an eloquent case for "death to attributes" that one could link to, say, to Matt? If not, what would be in it?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Megazver posted:

Has anyone ever actually sat down, wrote and posted an eloquent case for "death to attributes" that one could link to, say, to Matt? If not, what would be in it?

"You're doing design backwards. Attributes and other kinds of ratings associated with the character only need to exist when there's a system in the game that cares about a character's rating in something. Design the systems first, then figure out which characteristics need to be defined for a character. If you design the character sheet before you design the game, you'll be fumbling in the dark, trying to fit a square character sheet into round game mechanics."

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Haha I saw this on twitter and I admit I've been waiting to see what your reaction was.

Megazver posted:

Matt has said he's very open to feedback, community collaboration, blah blah blah, so I agree this should be done.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Finster Dexter posted:

Matt has said he's very open to feedback, community collaboration, blah blah blah, so I agree this should be done.

Based on his follow-up tweets in that thread, I wouldn't be hopeful. "Two equal columns of stats means you can pick one out of each and boom, you've got character creation" and "we have a secret reason for six stats ssshh no spoilers" is not something that stirs confidence.

https://twitter.com/mattcolville/status/1615228568812019713?t=TdDTklFLHXGRLBF16rpgiA&s=19

Lol good to know there's some real thought going into "rename the six Abilities".

Edit:

https://twitter.com/mattcolville/status/1615523257956040704?t=BBhqcvdGF6qYjkqC7Nkb7w&s=19

Has anyone in RPGs ever thought of opposed rolls? DMs are open for feedback!

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 18, 2023

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

gently caress it, steal from Kingdom Of Loathing and base everything on Muscle, Mysticality, and Moxie.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

That Old Tree posted:

Based on his follow-up tweets in that thread, I wouldn't be hopeful. "Two equal columns of stats means you can pick one out of each and boom, you've got character creation" and "we have a secret reason for six stats ssshh no spoilers" is not something that stirs confidence.

https://twitter.com/mattcolville/status/1615228568812019713?t=TdDTklFLHXGRLBF16rpgiA&s=19

Lol good to know there's some real thought going into "rename the six Abilities".

Edit:

https://twitter.com/mattcolville/status/1615523257956040704?t=BBhqcvdGF6qYjkqC7Nkb7w&s=19

I can't even be mad it's just all so cute :3:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Lamuella posted:

gently caress it, steal from Kingdom Of Loathing and base everything on Muscle, Mysticality, and Moxie.

I’ve used Moxie as a stat before, in a game I was working on years ago. It’s as good a measure of ability as any other, plus it has some pizazz to it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

That Old Tree posted:

Edit:

for the record: Das Schwarze Auge (Arkania or The Dark Eye) has had opposed rolls since the 90s, and my recollection from back then: combat drags out too long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

for the record: Das Schwarze Auge (Arkania or The Dark Eye) has had opposed rolls since the 90s, and my recollection from back then: combat drags out too long

Oh, I remember that one. It was published as "Uno sguardo nel buio" here in Italy in 89.