Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wave 4 wont even be out until 2024. i guess by that point even if you dont replay FE games much you might be up for a replay but its still weird, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Xenoblade 3 did the same poo poo and I am absolutely not replaying a 120 hour JRPG to experience the sidequests of two new characters who will be forgotten outside of their hour of side content.

I'm willing to pay them money for the stuff that's already done, just not the stuff that won't be out for ages.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at least the dlc for xb2 mostly made sense because the big things there were a full prequel jrpg and a post-game arena

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

at least the dlc for xb2 mostly made sense because the big things there were a full prequel jrpg and a post-game arena

That kind of content makes sense because it's an entirely new branch of content to do instead of two or three additional kinda-sorta party members that aren't really full party members.

Like I don't mind paying in advance for something like Cindered Shadows, which is an expanded and complete new experience so I'm willing to go back to it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Season pass stuff makes more sense when it's a game you are expected to replay or the season pass is expansion stuff.

Also not a fan of most of those DLC Emblems. Bleh.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Hellioning posted:

Season pass stuff makes more sense when it's a game you are expected to replay or the season pass is expansion stuff.

Also not a fan of most of those DLC Emblems. Bleh.

Raised a good question, what's replayability like? I don't know how the game is structured, but is there variety or branching content that a second play would be different (outside of picking new characters to focus on)?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Kanos posted:

That kind of content makes sense because it's an entirely new branch of content to do instead of two or three additional kinda-sorta party members that aren't really full party members.

Like I don't mind paying in advance for something like Cindered Shadows, which is an expanded and complete new experience so I'm willing to go back to it.

Not sure why you assume that's not wave 4 here, where doing that has basically been Nintendo's DLC model for ages. Every Fire Emblem game since Awakening (though it and Fates big final thing were relatively small compared to the later ones), Xenoblade 2 and 3, BotW, Splatoon 2...

I think the only series that haven't been doing this same DLC model are the ones that don't have paid dlc, minus ones where it's inherently incompatible (things like Animal Crossing)

Honestly Engage's DLC, assuming that wave 4 is something like Cindered Shadows, is probably more worth than Three Houses, given that the first 2 waves of Three Houses were basically junk.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 18, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's no route split or anything, not even a temporary one like FE5 or FE6. I'm definitely interested in a 2nd playthrough to use the units I benched though, or give units different emblems. The reclassing system also seems mostly designed for repeat playthroughs since it requires some amount of forward planning, so there could be some variety there, rather than say, Fates, where it's something you futzed with a lot to build a character up, it seems more designed for set and forget.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Since some people are probably curious, I went through the datamine and combined everyone's personal growths with their base class's to generate a growths list.

Note that my process for this was pretty jank so there are probably some mistakes. That, or they're getting pretty avant garde. Zelkov, the thief with a 50% defense growth. And Celine's STR growth being higher than her MAG.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
broadly speaking, growths seem a bit higher than three houses' (discounting the students getting minimum 2-stat level ups) but not as high as awakening/fates?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ungulateman posted:

broadly speaking, growths seem a bit higher than three houses' (discounting the students getting minimum 2-stat level ups) but not as high as awakening/fates?

def growths seem slightly inflated but thats presumably to compensate for how hard the enemies hit. a unit thats meant to be 'kind of bulky' needs a 50%ish def growth, so the armor knights are sitting there with near-100% def growths.

otherwise yeah, they seem similar to FE9's.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Engage still has the rewind time stuff from 3H, right? I mean I am terrible at tactics but I may roll on Hard if it has that.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Vander's growth is surprisingly decent for a Jagen.

Rosado's 65% Str growth :eyepop:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

def growths seem slightly inflated but thats presumably to compensate for how hard the enemies hit. a unit thats meant to be 'kind of bulky' needs a 50%ish def growth, so the armor knights are sitting there with near-100% def growths.

otherwise yeah, they seem similar to FE9's.

Caps are also interesting in that they appear to be a lot wider than they are in other games in the series.

I saw in some of the leak info on Reddit that Armors for instance have a 17 speed cap both unpromoted and as Generals while Berserkers have 11 Res and 18 Def caps. Wanted to see if that was accurate and you really have like 30 point differences in classes for stats they're good at versus stats they suck at.

Though that datamine I saw disagreed with your chart on at least one point, it had Anna with a 10% personal strength growth while Axe Fighter only gives 20% for 30% overall.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Engage still has the rewind time stuff from 3H, right? I mean I am terrible at tactics but I may roll on Hard if it has that.
It does, and you can lower the difficulty to normal or switch from classic to casual at any time (though you can't go back up, only lower the difficulty.)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Finally remembered to preorder Engage today. I guess you could say I'm engaged to be Engage'd.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

It does, and you can lower the difficulty to normal or switch from classic to casual at any time (though you can't go back up, only lower the difficulty.)

I thought that 3H did that too but that is good to hear.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Everyone's engaging but my game might come late so I'm echoing

Edit: when do the maps get good

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Judging by the thread it sounds like the characters, while not particularly deep, are fun and the plot is there, so I think I will have a good time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

right away tbh? the early game maps arent super complicated but they're snappy and present good enemy formations, and a few have fun gimmicks. anna's recruitment is one of the better ones in recent games cause shes literally in a chest and you have to go open it before enemy thieves do.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think the question re:maps was about Echoes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh

the maps in echoes do not get good

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can accelerate an Emblem to max via bond fragments, but the long run is probably better to just enhance weapons probably?

Maybe supe up a Javelin on Louis since as a Knight, he's the only one that can do old school enemy-phase hit everyone.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The last map of echoes is good

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Sorry they literally lifted the gaiden maps with no change

They be bad

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey, that’s not fair. That’s not fair at all! They added an extra cav to that earlygame map where the “threat” is I guess that a mediocre unit is gonna come beating down on you.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Tae posted:

You can accelerate an Emblem to max via bond fragments, but the long run is probably better to just enhance weapons probably?

Maybe supe up a Javelin on Louis since as a Knight, he's the only one that can do old school enemy-phase hit everyone.

you can and it's actually weirdly cheap to do so, in the grand scheme of things, but also to buy skills off the emblem takes a different currency you can't boost which is frankly mind boggling

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Going by what people are saying, it sounds like reclassing isn't really a big factor this time around unless you go out of your way for it, maybe? Like something to maybe spice up repeat playthroughs or let you do weird things with a unit you want to put extra effort into, but not something you should expect to do regularly on a first playthrough?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Harrow posted:

Going by what people are saying, it sounds like reclassing isn't really a big factor this time around unless you go out of your way for it, maybe? Like something to maybe spice up repeat playthroughs or let you do weird things with a unit you want to put extra effort into, but not something you should expect to do regularly on a first playthrough?

That seems to be the case, yes. You need weapon type access to become a class, which means you need to spend time with that character using whatever engage provides that weapon proficiency, which of course means that other characters can't be working on getting that same weapon prof unlocked at the same time(unless it's a weapon you have multiple engages for, so, like, swords i guess).

There's also, at least early on, a limited number of seals.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 18, 2023

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Kanos posted:

That seems to be the case, yes. You need weapon type access to become a class, which means you need to spend time with that character using whatever engage provides that weapon proficiency, which of course means that other characters can't be working on getting that same weapon prof unlocked at the same time(unless it's a weapon you have multiple engages for, so, like, swords i guess).

Silver lining for the DLC emblems might be that you get more proficiency unlocks of the same type?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Can't you use the Bond Rings to grind the Emblem Ring's proficiency for multiple people? Or is it just for skills?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
how is everyone playing this already, isn't it out friday

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
It leaked

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

worms butthole guy posted:

how is everyone playing this already, isn't it out friday

There's been a lot of stores that have broken street date, which means rom dumps were made, which means that there's already tons of datamine info as well as people who have just marathon played the game and posted about it elsewhere.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

As somebody who just shot through all of 3H less reclassing sounds great. I kinda want to just focus on the maps and long term builds for my favorite units at a challenging difficulty

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-8-fire-emblem-engage-part-2/

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

BTW there's also a bunch of concept art and sketches in the link.

Also:

quote:

The battling scenes are so cool, and you can tell that it’s stuffed with Teraoka-san’s love. (Laughs)

Everyone:
(Laughs)

Nakanishi: This game is designed so that the battling motions will change as the characters level up. For example, in the beginning, the character will just simply dodge the attack from enemies. But as they get stronger, they will counterattack while parrying, or slash at flying arrows with a sword, and so the motion changes as the character grows stronger. These kinds of details are also fun.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 18, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's interesting that they talk about 3H's animations being more subdued because they were held back by the battalion system.

quote:

The previous title, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, was a war chronicle, so there was the flashy appeal of leading a large number of troops as "battalions" but because of that, we weren't able to pursue the flashy dramatic effects in 3D.

If the movement is limited to one character, it made it look like others in a battalion were not following. So, we didn't have much choice but to tone down the actions. But this time, we could plan out the battle scenes on an individual basis, so we asked Intelligent Systems to make the actions as flashy as possible, like adding a dash motion effect when soldiers attack or allowing to shoot an arrow from a fort and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012