Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I feel like someone should mention Legends of the Wulin but his head might explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was listening to System Mastery last night and they reviewed Shadowrun Anarchy and one of the mind-boggling design decisions there was that it used opposed rolls for everything

like, if the PC was trying to unlock a door, the PC would roll for their number of lockpicking successes, but the DM would also roll for their number of... lock integrity successes?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was listening to System Mastery last night and they reviewed Shadowrun Anarchy and one of the mind-boggling design decisions there was that it used opposed rolls for everything

like, if the PC was trying to unlock a door, the PC would roll for their number of lockpicking successes, but the DM would also roll for their number of... lock integrity successes?

Maybe that lock was having a particularly good day.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

gradenko_2000 posted:

That’s how all the Cortex games work and those are both good and generally well received. I’ve never read Anarchy and it has Shadowrun in the title so I assume it sucks, but opposed rolls for everything can work great.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Splicer posted:

I can't even be mad it's just all so cute :3:

https://twitter.com/SabreRunner/status/1615246468540923904?t=H9zQmk4SFy2ddmPoHijcWA&s=19

https://twitter.com/AndrewTeheran/status/1615212524206448641?t=ycXWw9P_klAYdZGWKxe9YQ&s=19

I hope all of these people read a second book.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Goa Tse-tung posted:

for the record: Das Schwarze Auge (Arkania or The Dark Eye) has had opposed rolls since the 90s, and my recollection from back then: combat drags out too long

White Wolf built a subcultural phenomenon on the most unnecessary number of rolls to resolve single actions in 1991.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

One stat, Puissance, that goes up when you level. Call me Matt.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

White Wolf built a subcultural phenomenon on the most unnecessary number of rolls to resolve single actions in 1991.

"Each single combat action will require multiple opposed checks, each one involving multiple dice and a floating, arbitrary success threshold decided case by case"

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

- Cold
- hosed Up
- Mean
- Relentless

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
-Itchy
-Tasty

Warthur
May 2, 2004

senrath posted:

When a contract is ambiguous enough then they will look to outside parol evidence. The question is "what is ambiguous enough" because that varies from court to court.
In effect Opening Arguments is right, but also wrong, but also right.

They're right in the sense that claims about the intent of a contract can't be used to overturn the actual wording of a contract.

They're wrong in the sense that the wording of a contract is not always as cut and dried as it could be, and indeed even legal language can have its vague points and ambiguities. You can bring in intent at that point to resolve the "what does this wording actually mean?" question.

They're right in the sense that the set of answers you can arrive at will still tend to be bound by the wording - you can't use intent in those circumstances to say "This contract said Down, but it's pretty obvious from the outside context that what was intended is actually Up".

I think their biggest mistake is in assuming that the stuff Ryan Dancey is citing about intent is irrelevant because it doesn't address any ambiguities; I would say it's hard to look at the OGL and say the question of what is an "authorised version" does not introduce at least some ambiguity, especially in the lack of an explicit mechanism for deauthorisation.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

your only stats are how much of a Bear you are and how much of a Criminal you are.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Just steal from the Toon RPG:

Muscle
Zip
Smarts
Chutzpah

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

4,300+ people saw this and said "Yes, I like this."

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Mors Rattus posted:

I feel like someone should mention Legends of the Wulin but his head might explode.

Honestly, if my legacy is making people's heads explode, I'm cool with that. Go for it!

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I've not gone deep into Opening Arguments' stuff on this (I don't have time to listen to long podcasts or videos just to see what they say about one particular point), but it's also possible that they are not taking into account what statements about the intended reading of the contract exist out there.

Ryan Dancey saying decades after the fact "this is totes what I meant" is weaksauce. He no longer works for Wizards, the party which wrote the contract, and he's trying to address his recollections of discussions that happened decades ago. If he had documentary evidence (like e-mails) from the OGL negotiations, that would carry more weight.

Wizards' own FAQ from the era clearly saying that if they update the OGL you'll be able to keep using old versions if you wish would tend to carry more weight. You still have a problem that it's from after the contract was drafted - but it's close to the time when it was, and was put out in the course of trying to convince other parties to adopt the contract. (One could also argue that the Wizards FAQ was, in fact, part of the contract negotiations when it comes to parties who started using the OGL after the FAQ came out, because of course a contract was not accepted between them and Wizards until they performed the acts specified in the OGL as constituting acceptance.)

All you would need to do to convince a court to consider that is to successfully argue that there is an ambiguity as to what an "authorised version" is, or that there's ambiguity as to what the mechanic for "deauthorising" is - or if there is such a mechanic at all. Wizards would need to argue that there's no ambiguity at all, nuh-uh, not a shred of it, no need for further consideration.

Wizards would argue that it's clear: an authorised version is one put out by Wizards, they can deauthorise versions through an update, the licence explicitly gives them (and them specifically) the right to update it so versions other people alter are not authorised.

I think you could make a good argument that it is not clear, because the term "you may use any authorized version" implies that it is possible to have multiple authorized versions extant - otherwise the party being addressed would not have a choice between versions to use and the term would be meaningless. It does not, after all, say "you must use the currently-authorized version as most recently updated by Wizards" or language to a similar effect - which you would expect if updating the OGL automatically deauthorised old versions.

Even if the court didn't consider the Wizards FAQ at all, successfully arguing ambiguity on the point would still tend to undermine Wizards case, because courts tend to default to interpreting ambiguous terms of a contract against the person who drafted it, which in this case is unambiguously Wizards.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 18, 2023

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/MongoosePub/status/1615719925728903169

Another one.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sage Genesis posted:

Honestly, if my legacy is making people's heads explode, I'm cool with that. Go for it!

Someone who isn’t me, I have made it a rule not to touch Twitter fights with people whose fanbase gets rabid and aggressive if I can avoid it.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Mors Rattus posted:

Someone who isn’t me, I have made it a rule not to touch Twitter fights with people whose fanbase gets rabid and aggressive if I can avoid it.

Ha! Yeah, wise.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lamuella posted:

your only stats are how much of a Bear you are and how much of a Criminal you are.

Bear: 100%
Criminal: 100%
I have defeated your system.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kurieg posted:

Bear: 100%
Criminal: 100%
I have defeated your system.
He rolled for stats.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

gradenko_2000 posted:

Anarchy was generally a clueless design and was a serious low point until Shadowrun Sixth World said "hold my beer."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mors Rattus posted:

Also FFG Genesys is basically Descent: the RPG from a dice perspective.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Not surprised MCDM’s game is going to be bad DnD. Colville is a good idea guy, he’s decent at worldbuilding and making stuff FOR DnD if they’re not new mechanics. Action oriented monster manual: good. His rules for mass warfare: holy poo poo unplayable and boring

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

Based on his follow-up tweets in that thread, I wouldn't be hopeful. "Two equal columns of stats means you can pick one out of each and boom, you've got character creation" and "we have a secret reason for six stats ssshh no spoilers" is not something that stirs confidence.

https://twitter.com/mattcolville/status/1615228568812019713?t=TdDTklFLHXGRLBF16rpgiA&s=19

Lol good to know there's some real thought going into "rename the six Abilities".

Edit:

https://twitter.com/mattcolville/status/1615523257956040704?t=BBhqcvdGF6qYjkqC7Nkb7w&s=19

Has anyone in RPGs ever thought of opposed rolls? DMs are open for feedback!

Oh my god it's honestly kind of heartbreaking to watch these people who are supposedly leaders in this industry playtesting the most basic mechanics in a completely uncritical way and talking like they're stumbling onto some kind of amazing new concept. I know it's been said in here a lot but it's honestly mindboggling how so much of the RPG space doesn't have even a basic handle on game mechanics or how to develop that side of the equation, especially since the board game space has really grown and advanced in leaps and bounds in that respect in the last decade or so.

Like I get the goal isn't to make "a great new RPG system," it's effectively to make "a slightly different D&D I can put my name on" since the latter involves much less retooling and rebalancing of anything and everything that you've ever personally released, but god that's only going to multiply the issues for a lot of people in the 3PP space... like even my 5E diehard friends know the mechanics kind of suck, they just have been playing it long enough that they've learned to ignore or houserule the mechanics they don't enjoy, I think it's something every group goes through and you eventually hit some sort of an equilibrium that just works over time. But they're willing to put up with that due to the cultural cachet and good art and whatever else that 5E brings for them in particular. I can't see that same kind of more-casual player being willing to put up with half a dozen different heartbreakers' bad rules (which if past waves of heartbreakers have taught us anything, they'll be somehow worse than actual D&D, in baffling ways) until they find one to replace 5E for them.

Edit:

weekly font posted:

Not surprised MCDM’s game is going to be bad DnD. Colville is a good idea guy, he’s decent at worldbuilding and making stuff FOR DnD if they’re not new mechanics. Action oriented monster manual: good. His rules for mass warfare: holy poo poo unplayable and boring

Yeah this is a big issue too, that a lot of the people I see out there trying to publicize their attempts at making a new system are fundamentally just not suited for making a new system, because they're great at the fluff side or bare-metal interaction side of the equation but just have the worst understanding of probability or how to develop mechanics that are comprehensible and fun to engage with. And I think if you've been playing a game for 20 years or whatever, and actively creating content for that game in a professional sphere, it can be really hard to recognize your own conceptual blind spots when it comes to the mechanical side if you've never spent much time thinking about it. The problem is a lot of these people don't seem to actually want to think that hard about it, they just want to recreate the same mechanics and player/dm/system interactions with a slight twist.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 18, 2023

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

As good a time as any to travel back to 2002 and reread the original essay: The Fantasy Heartbreaker

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MockingQuantum posted:

Oh my god it's honestly kind of heartbreaking to watch these people who are supposedly leaders in this industry playtesting the most basic mechanics in a completely uncritical way and talking like they're stumbling onto some kind of amazing new concept.

That's why it's called a hea-

Siivola posted:

As good a time as any to travel back to 2002 and reread the original essay: The Fantasy Heartbreaker

... yeap

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Everyone who has pointed out that Colville's problem is that he's trying to make a new D&D rather than a new system is dead on the money. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does hammer home that you're never going to get a unified theory of rpg rules.

And this is a good thing.

System compatibility is nice, for systems of similar types, but a D20ish system is fundamentally always going to produce a D20ish game. If you tried to build Blades In The Dark on the OGL it wouldn't be Blades In The Dark any more. My hope is that if the OGL stuff does cause a bunch of people to move away from D&D there will be some who explore other ways to play and other stories that can be told. Rather than going straight to "I'm going to play Pathfinder instead" it would be nice to see more people checking out Spire, or Agon, or other systems that are telling stories it would be very hard to tell with D20 mechanics.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

... yeap

Oh yeah I totally get it now, I've never really had a genuine head-shaking reaction to fantasy heartbreakers anymore because I've known so many people who have tried to make them that it feels more like a right of passage for some designers... this is just the first time that I've seen people who really should know better, or at least are probably capable of doing much better, just taking the easy and dumb way and making their own crappy D&D. Like I don't expect some rando on the internet to upset the apple cart and create the new D&D killer that's actually fun to play and interact with its systems, but I'd hope that some of these people like Colville would actually give the slightest effort towards trying to do that.

Though maybe I've got that backwards, and it'll really need to be a rando who creates the next big thing, I suppose some of these people are just too invested (economically, intellectually, emotionally, whatever) in the D&D paradigm to ever try to innovate it in any big way.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

MockingQuantum posted:

Oh my god it's honestly kind of heartbreaking to watch these people who are supposedly leaders in this industry playtesting the most basic mechanics in a completely uncritical way and talking like they're stumbling onto some kind of amazing new concept. I know it's been said in here a lot but it's honestly mindboggling how so much of the RPG space doesn't have even a basic handle on game mechanics or how to develop that side of the equation, especially since the board game space has really grown and advanced in leaps and bounds in that respect in the last decade or so.

Yeah, I suppose it's worth remembering that original D&D sprung forth out of the war game scene, and starting from a board game design space makes a lot of sense. I didn't play a lot of D&D 4e... except... there was actually a decent D&D Minis scene at one of the FLGS and I played several times. It was totally just 4e combat without the RPG stuff, and it was quite fun, imho.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, I suppose it's worth remembering that original D&D sprung forth out of the war game scene, and starting from a board game design space makes a lot of sense. I didn't play a lot of D&D 4e... except... there was actually a decent D&D Minis scene at one of the FLGS and I played several times. It was totally just 4e combat without the RPG stuff, and it was quite fun, imho.

I think WotC had a whole series of weekly (monthly?) combat encounters/mini-dungeons for stores to run with 4e. All you had to do was bring a character of the right level and then bash it up with whatever randos had wandered in. It was a great way to test out weird builds and take on challenging fights. If I remember right, the closest thing to roleplaying was the occasional skill challenge. I could be misremembering this, the scenarios could have just been an in-store thing, it was too long ago for me.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Pvt.Scott posted:

I think WotC had a whole series of weekly (monthly?) combat encounters/mini-dungeons for stores to run with 4e. All you had to do was bring a character of the right level and then bash it up with whatever randos had wandered in. It was a great way to test out weird builds and take on challenging fights. If I remember right, the closest thing to roleplaying was the occasional skill challenge. I could be misremembering this, the scenarios could have just been an in-store thing, it was too long ago for me.

Those were the "Delves", right? I didn't really enjoy those, mainly because one of the guys that played the delves really irritated me. So, I stuck with the Minis side, which was purely tactical.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

... yeap
The follow-up essay from 2003 is more rambling, but there's an interesting moment at the end where Edwards basically calls the shot that Old School Essentials would take 20 years later:

quote:

Even aside from industry and promotion considerations, I think these games are doomed through a conceptual tautology: you can't do D&D fantasy, regardless of how streamlined or "more logical" your rules are, without being directly measured by the defining feature, which is to say, D&D itself. In other words, the game design is trapped - the less like D&D it becomes in function and content, the further it moves from its goals, to "fix D&D." And the more it stays with its goals, the more D&D compares favorably with it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Opposed rolls for combat is fine and can even be fast if each roll is the totality of the action. See Pendragon or Fighting Fantasy - there's no roll to defend separately from the attack roll; whomever wins deals damage.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/1615765898861608961?t=jFxlZqJuPi4X0TcW9Wi5pw&s=19

Here we go again. I guess we'll have to FIND a PATH.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 18, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That's actually a competent response. That feels like it comes from an actual human.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Its also a lot more clear and direct, and seems to address a lot of the bigger points. Though at that point it makes me wonder what an OGL 1.1 will even do.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1428-a-working-conversation-about-the-open-game-license

quote:

Hi. I’m Kyle Brink, the Executive Producer on D&D. It’s my team that makes the game we all play.

D&D has been a huge part of my life long before I worked at Wizards and will be for a long time after I’m done. My mission, and that of the entire D&D team, is to help bring everyone the creative joy and lifelong friendships that D&D has given us.

These past days and weeks have been incredibly tough for everyone. As players, fans, and stewards of the game, we can’t–and we won’t–let things continue like this.

I am here today to talk about a path forward.

First, though, let me start with an apology. We are sorry. We got it wrong.

Our language and requirements in the draft OGL were disruptive to creators and not in support of our core goals of protecting and cultivating an inclusive play environment and limiting the OGL to TTRPGs. Then we compounded things by being silent for too long. We hurt fans and creators, when more frequent and clear communications could have prevented so much of this.

Starting now, we’re going to do this a better way: more open and transparent, with our entire community of creators. With the time to iterate, to get feedback, to improve.

If this sounds familiar, it’s because it’s how we do it for the game itself. So let’s do it that way for the OGL, too.

We’ll listen to you, and then we will share with you what we’ve heard, much like we do in our Unearthed Arcana and One D&D playtests. This will be a robust conversation before we release any future version of the OGL.

Here’s what to expect.

1. On or before Friday, January 20th, we’ll share new proposed OGL documentation for your review and feedback, much as we do with playtest materials.

2. After you review the proposed OGL, you will be able to fill out a quick survey–much like Unearthed Arcana playtest feedback surveys. It will ask you specific questions about the document and include open form fields to share any other feedback you have.

3. The survey will remain open for at least two weeks, and we’ll give you advance notice before it closes so that everyone who wants to participate can complete the survey. Then we will compile, analyze, react to, and present back what we heard from you.

Finally, you deserve some stability and clarity. We are committed to giving creators both input into, and room to prepare for, any update to the OGL. Also, there’s a ton of stuff that isn’t going to be affected by an OGL update. So today, right now, we’ll lay out all the areas that this conversation won’t touch.

Any changes to the OGL will have no impact on at least these creative efforts:

- Your video content. Whether you are a commentator, streamer, podcaster, liveplay cast member, or other video creator on platforms like YouTube and Twitch and TikTok, you have always been covered by the Wizards Fan Content Policy. The OGL doesn’t (and won’t) touch any of this.

- Your accessories for your owned content. No changes to the OGL will affect your ability to sell minis, novels, apparel, dice, and other items related to your creations, characters, and worlds.

- Non-published works, for instance contracted services. You use the OGL if you want to publish your works that reference fifth edition content through the SRD. That means commissioned work, paid DM services, consulting, and so on aren’t affected by the OGL.

- VTT content. Any updates to the OGL will still allow any creator to publish content on VTTs and will still allow VTT publishers to use OGL content on their platform.

- DMs Guild content. The content you release on DMs Guild is published under a Community Content Agreement with Dungeon Masters Guild. This is not changing.

- Your OGL 1.0a content. Nothing will impact any content you have published under OGL 1.0a. That will always be licensed under OGL 1.0a.

- Your revenue. There will be no royalty or financial reporting requirements.

- Your ownership of your content. You will continue to own your content with no license-back requirements.

That’s all from me for now. You will hear again from us on or before Friday as described above, and we look forward to the conversation.

Kyle Brink

Executive Producer, Dungeons & Dragons

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Bee posted:

Its also a lot more clear and direct, and seems to address a lot of the bigger points. Though at that point it makes me wonder what an OGL 1.1 will even do.

2.0, but probably not much lol, Probably just get the anti-hate stuff in there.

My guess is they go down the route that they probably should have done in the first place and just put the overt royalty stuff, and maybe rules on platform availability and tie it to being on D&DBeyond's VTT and that eventual third party marketplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I am completely fine with this as written.