Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The best way to play neir automata is to skip the game entirely and just listen to the soundtrack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

The best way to play neir automata is to skip the game entirely and just listen to the soundtrack

That's just JRPGs in general

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i agree with this but i went in expecting bayonetta levels of platinum flashy combat and its just not that, i remember actually thinking "this combat reminds me of golden axe or streets of rage" but then i played streets of rage 4 and the combat in that owns so :shrug:

iirc my issues was 1) dodge button is invincible and has no cooldown, you can animation cancel everything into the dodge, which just made the combat feel completely toothless 2) the stuff added on the second path just turned every combat into a lame minigame.

the result was my gamer juice brain running real low on the green gamma gaming guzzles and my playthrough hit a full stop.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

All combat is toothless if you're a real gamer who never gets hit. :blastu:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only combat that isn’t toothless is combat where you can bite people

So okami, maneater, alien vs predator, a few others

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Try Automata on Hard if you think it's toothless.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
N:A on hard just encouraged dodge-spamming even more, I like the game but it's clearly not close to the level of an actual character action game when it comes to combat

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hiring platinum for nier was a mistake. Set wrong expectations, Replicant remake proved they weren't needed to make an equivalent game, and let them survive only to make a bunch of really bad games to date.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Astral Chain was win

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Motto posted:

Hiring platinum for nier was a mistake. Set wrong expectations, Replicant remake proved they weren't needed to make an equivalent game, and let them survive only to make a bunch of really bad games to date.

Now I've read everything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tbf their track record since Automata hasn't been great but Astral Chain was cool.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Motto posted:

platinum helped with replicant though

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

That's just JRPGs in general

I uhh... well, ..errr... hmm.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Try Automata on Hard if you think it's toothless.

i did and i just pressed the dodge button more and it didn't feel any better to play. sorry to all the nierdos out there.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm assuming Bayonetta 3 was good but I didn't see it much in the goty thread

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Platinum has made like 20 games and the only ones that played like Bayonetta were named Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 and maybe Bayonetta 3 if you're being generous but that won't stop people from expecting it and throwing a fit every time it doesn't happen

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Astral Chain really was a much better executed way of combining JRPG with action game than Nier Automata even if N:A was better written

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 18, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
n:a is the better game overall because it's strengths make up for the fact that 90 percent of interactions involve spamming dodge

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

Everyone hated the story and new character and that fed back into itself so it's irredeemable trash now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just didn't press the dodge button :smuggo:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

From what I've heard its what people keep saying dark souls 2 is, ie, the worst in its series by a lot, but better than most games by a LOT

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

People who say you're invincible if you press dodge vs people complaining they died during the prologue

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

it was a car accident. lengthy platforming sections, a camera that made your character impossible to see half the time, extremely involved and dull story that involved watching the title character get her rear end kicked and die over and over, and a very transparent Nero also-ran whose gameplay was so miserable that Platinum patched in a ton of fixes to her mechanics just a couple of weeks ago

they took the bayonetta formula and warped it into some weird hybrid of astral chain and DMCV while not doing either part half as well

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

homeless snail posted:

everything in the deluxe pack is rear end anyway, including the h2 dlc. they made them on no budget and they're practically empty outside of the incredibly narrow scope of the mission stories. get it on sale maybe
New York is a great map. Haven is okay.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The gameplay is fine but not worth dealing with the way too big of levels, the meh to bad viola gameplay (that might be fixed with a patch that came out recently), the meh Jeanne stages, or the story the first time thru before you skip it all anyway. I didn’t expect some great story from bayo but all the characters are boring and suck in 3 except Viola sometimes and the ending really sucks. Really didn’t think I cared about Bayo’s story that much but it did kinda frustrate me. Doesn’t feel great to literally lose the entire game plot wise and have nothing you do matter and see the main character die 5 times. Then the announcement of a full priced prequel thing in a few months so soon after 3 just made it all suck more. It’s not the worst action game ever I just don’t think I see any reason to replay it over the first 2 Bayos, revengeance, or dmc 5.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Oxxidation posted:

he's playing automata, not the original nier

Oh lmao

Then yeah ignore me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dabir posted:

From what I've heard its what people keep saying dark souls 2 is, ie, the worst in its series by a lot, but better than most games by a LOT

It's the third best Souls game.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

exquisite tea posted:

It's the third best Souls game.

Behind elden ring and sekiro?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Demon's Souls and Elden Ring. Yeah heh, I'm not like those other gamers...

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
*sigh* I’ll get it started

Sekiro is not a souls game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

sighs and unsheathes his posting sword

Dark Souls
Elden Ring
Sekiro
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 3
the others that don't exist on PC

rox
Sep 7, 2016

sekirowns

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

*sigh* I’ll get it started

Sekiro is not a souls game

Correct

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

sighs and unsheathes his posting sword

Dark Souls
Elden Ring
Sekiro
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 3
the others that don't exist on PC

Demon's Souls has been on PC and playing great @ 4k since 2016 :filez:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sekiro is a souls game

rox
Sep 7, 2016

i like dark souls 2

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only true souls games are the ones with Souls in the title, like Titan Souls or Oddworld Soulstorm

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Dark Souls 2 combat feels off

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Adaptability stat was a huge unforced error

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I never knew they let David Cage make a Souls game.