Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Normy posted:

Breakfast Club is 80s movies are about how you can sexually harass girls until they like you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1615449784592076800

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Oh so you have read it

Lol

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/trashwithab/status/1614571034879078400?s=46&t=dJD_X5pXF4ySxfdUTchCUg

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://twitter.com/poisonjr/status/1613955119229304846

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Marcus Aurelius ended the era of the good emperors by being a poo poo father.

I will not be taking advice from him.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Art of War is mostly obvious to anyone who's played a strategy game, even if very badly (ie, me). And that's literally all it is - the very basics on how to fight a war. It's beyond me why it's touted as this great insightful work one can apply to all aspects of their life. Unless you see it all as metaphorical or something (which it wasn't, to the best of my knowledge).

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Hyperlynx posted:

Art of War is mostly obvious to anyone who's played a strategy game, even if very badly (ie, me). And that's literally all it is - the very basics on how to fight a war. It's beyond me why it's touted as this great insightful work one can apply to all aspects of their life. Unless you see it all as metaphorical or something (which it wasn't, to the best of my knowledge).

There is a poo poo ton of common knowledge that we just take for granted that had to be figured out the hard way at some point. Some hundreds of years ago, "don't run your troops directly into their front lines, the flanks are a lot more vulnerable" wasn't common knowledge. Hell, the British were still lining troops up shoulder-to-shoulder wearing bright red in the US Revolutionary War because their commanders were dumb stupid idiots. The Continental Army fought to win using things like 'raiding the enemy camps while they sleep' and 'shooting the enemy from ambush'.

Nowadays it's coasting on clout

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Hyperlynx posted:

IIRC, it was primarily targeted at aristocratic fail-sons who'd never done anything but write crappy poetry but end up in charge of an army because their dad was a high-ranking politician. Rather than deep and profound strategy advice, think of it more as "this is what you need to know to not lose the entire army instantly so that someone competent can come and bail you out."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Evilreaver posted:

There is a poo poo ton of common knowledge that we just take for granted that had to be figured out the hard way at some point. Some hundreds of years ago, "don't run your troops directly into their front lines, the flanks are a lot more vulnerable" wasn't common knowledge. Hell, the British were still lining troops up shoulder-to-shoulder wearing bright red in the US Revolutionary War because their commanders were dumb stupid idiots. The Continental Army fought to win using things like 'raiding the enemy camps while they sleep' and 'shooting the enemy from ambush'.

Also, as with the British, officer positions in those days in China were routinely bought, given out as favors, etc. We're talking the kind of rich failsons who need to be spoonfed the basics in a format that doesn't make them feel like they're being talked down to (they'd throw a hissy if not shown due deference). The Art of War being fairly basic and stating things like Great Truths isn't really a knock against the book.

The preceding paragraph contains hints on why business majors, "alpha males," etc think it's profound.

Edit: lol beaten

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Some vital and innovative advice such as “attack where your enemy is weak” and “try to conceal your troops’ movement”

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Karia posted:

IIRC, it was primarily targeted at aristocratic fail-sons who'd never done anything but write crappy poetry but end up in charge of an army because their dad was a high-ranking politician. Rather than deep and profound strategy advice, think of it more as "this is what you need to know to not lose the entire army instantly so that someone competent can come and bail you out."

Oh, sorry, I don't mean "the Art of War is stupid, it's all obvious stuff that everyone always knew, there was no point in writing it". Yes, certainly it was probably novel and useful at the time!

I meant that I've heard about people claiming it's inspirational and wise advice for, like, succeeding in business and such like, and applicable to our modern day way of life, day-to-day, and it's fantastic. When no, it really only is the very basics of warfare and nothing more. Which is fine! It's just that some people seem to treat it like a self-help book or something

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh, sorry, I don't mean "the Art of War is stupid, it's all obvious stuff that everyone always knew, there was no point in writing it". Yes, certainly it was probably novel and useful at the time!

I meant that I've heard about people claiming it's inspirational and wise advice for, like, succeeding in business and such like, and applicable to our modern day way of life, day-to-day, and it's fantastic. When no, it really only is the very basics of warfare and nothing more.

You would be shocked at how little the people who run major businesses know about basic loving strategy as it applies to any sort of competitiveness.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

It may not have been written to be metaphorical, but that doesn't mean you can't read it as such.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Hyperlynx posted:

You're absolutely correct on the second bit, but I do just want to expand on this by clarifying that the Art of War wasn't "novel" at the time it was written. There have been really good tacticians (and strategists, for the pedants out there) for literally as long as humanity has been fighting wars. Case in point, since it was brought up a couple posts ago: nowadays we look at stuff like the British army fighting in ranks during the revolutionary war and think they were just making bad decisions, but that was the major doctrine at the time for all sorts of weapon and communication reasons. The americans did it too: most of the war was fought with both sides standing in straight lines, because it really just was the best way to use a large army at the time given the existing technology. When that strategy didn't work, like when the terrain was really rough, they used different strategies. The commanders weren't dumb, they just were doing the best they could with the technology available at the time.

Anyway, the point of that rant was to say that the Art of War was certainly useful, but only in that it conveyed stuff that Sun Tzu thought was obvious to people who were woefully unqualified. If you look at some line in that book and think "hey, this is super obvious", then it's a safe bet that it had been understood for at bare minimum hundreds of years when the book was written. I'm no military historian, so somebody who knows WTF they're talking about is welcome to correct me, of course.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Skwirl posted:

You would be shocked at how little the people who run major businesses know about basic loving strategy as it applies to any sort of competitiveness.

No, I know, but it's not basic strategy. It's basic military strategy!

It's not going to help anybody's business to learn what ground is best to pick for a battle, how best to employ spearmen vs cavalry, that you should send scouts out in advance of your army etc.

I'm convinced that business types who recommend it haven't read it.

E: weeeell, ok, having flicked though it again there is indeed some basic strategy stuff. But also a lot of things like this

Sun Tsu posted:

The rule is, not to besiege walled cities if it can possibly be avoided.

The preparation of mantlets, movable shelters, and various implements of war, will take up three whole months;

and the piling up of mounds over against the walls will take three months more.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 04:06 on Jan 18, 2023

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/Israel/status/1268235838208573440

Somehow this tweet is still up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SupremeHakim17/status/1149097354739372032

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I mean, if the state of Israel is saying Jesus was God's son, then it's pretty loving clear that that criticizing Israel is not criticizing Jews or Judaism.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/scumbelievable/status/1615365111593435137?t=LMPpodprLIMFeqscYOWPvg&s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're the best at what they're doin'. But what they're doin' ain't very nice.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Evilreaver posted:

ok this is probably bait but I'm taking it anyway.

you are extremely wrong. the continental army fought the british using the same equipment and tactics as the british, because they were the british. these tactics included skirmishing and flanking, but at the end of the day if you wanted an army to fight with black powder muskets you needed to line up in big blocks and march straight at each other.

the continental army won because of the support of the french army, who used the same tactics and equipment, but had more of it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
No way, I've seen the Patriot.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

TotalLossBrain posted:

No way, I've seen the Patriot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euAF68ITyzo

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Wearing bright colored uniforms, tall silly hats, and standing in an orderly rank and file made a lot of sense on the 18th century battlefield covered in thick white smoke from musket fire. Then the officers could actually see the positions of the infantry blocks.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/goergebush/status/3185556845

https://twitter.com/srirachachau/status/1615387694665990145

https://twitter.com/alekce/status/1615312269285658624

https://twitter.com/lolennui/status/1615601541406392320

https://twitter.com/erinmhk/status/1614177970654183430

https://twitter.com/maxafrass/status/1614017965342720000

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
oh you think you're smart sun tzu you old rear end bitch well guess what, I've played upwards of three total war games. yeah. meet me on the field if you dare.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hyperlynx posted:

No, I know, but it's not basic strategy. It's basic military strategy!

It's not going to help anybody's business to learn what ground is best to pick for a battle, how best to employ spearmen vs cavalry, that you should send scouts out in advance of your army etc.

I'm convinced that business types who recommend it haven't read it.

E: weeeell, ok, having flicked though it again there is indeed some basic strategy stuff. But also a lot of things like this

You can absolutely read Art of War, in the broad sense, as business strategy. It is several steps removed from the actual intent of the text so you're getting less out of it than a Chinese noble failson with his daddy's army, but picking ground for battle? You don't try to sell [religiously proscribed food] by the [place of worship]. Sending out scouts? Businesses do that, they very much send out advance scouts to take a read on the character of an area and what kind of advertising assault will be most effective. I could probably bullshit something about spearmen vs cavalry and food trucks vs restaurants, but yeah there's a lot in there that's just not going to be immediately obvious or relevant as a business strategy.

What you do is you read one of the hundreds of business manuals that have paraphrased the Art of War, and keep a copy of the AoW prominently on your bookshelf in interview photos.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I generally think it’d be a good thing if more people read Marcus Aurelius and other Stoics. It’s probably not the optimal philosophy of life (if there could be such a thing) but it’s definitely better than the way people tend to live.

A lot of the stuff in it sounds super obvious, but I’d say that’s true of most “wisdom”; we seemingly have a hard time living by obvious wisdom though.

zoux posted:

Oh so you have read it

Idgi?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Sun Tzu? I'd say he knows a liittle more about fighting than you do, pal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h42d0WHRSck&t=13s

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I prefer The Art of the Deal

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

trimmed it to the important parts for you:

Ambitious Spider posted:

I've never read it, and don't really have any opinons on it.

zoux posted:

Oh so you have read it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What's the one in the top right

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the one in the top right

That's Joaquin Phoenix in You Were Never Really Here. Pretty good film

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

thatbastardken posted:

ok this is probably bait but I'm taking it anyway.

you are extremely wrong. the continental army fought the british using the same equipment and tactics as the british, because they were the british. these tactics included skirmishing and flanking, but at the end of the day if you wanted an army to fight with black powder muskets you needed to line up in big blocks and march straight at each other.

the continental army won because of the support of the french army, who used the same tactics and equipment, but had more of it.
I mean there's an argument that the early revolutionary army did outsizedly well for their discipline as their ranked battles fell apart instantly but their partisan activities kept them in the game. But yeah, the British only left when they realized the French had drilled them back to the 18th century standard in ranked battles and sieges and realized they'd have to actually commit to a modern campaign in an area with partisan activity and decided not worth it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/michaelleung/status/1615488196175089664

No! Not my face!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lol rekt nerds

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also on the subject of AI and algorithms and understanding human interaction:

https://twitter.com/billyperrigo/status/1615682180201447425