Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

wait was your take on BB and BCS in earnest or a shitpost

my no punctuation gimmick while annoying in general is also useful for telling whether or not im doing a syq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

my no punctuation gimmick while annoying in general is also useful for telling whether or not im doing a syq

just post your sources with the post and put them in quote tags dude

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

anyway to actually answer durfs question the first episode of three body doesnt have an infodump about the cultural revolution it really doesnt infodump much of anything i think its a deliberate stylistic choice to play up the mystery elements of the story we get several brief snippets that are clearly meant to take place during the cultural revolution but theyre kept vague so that were left wondering what they have to do with anything thats going on in the present

the setup is weirdly enough pretty american style in design because youve got the military demanding the aid of a weird shut in nerd the main twist on that formula is that the military guy is himself an eccentric just a completely different kind theres plenty of room to do china bad editorializing if thats what netflix wants to do and im honestly curious if thats the direction theyll end up going because if they do their version of three body will actually be considerably less conventional and mainstream than the chinese version

oh and if for whatever reason noone wants to give money directly to youtube and or tencent rakuten viki also appears to have the distribution rights for later episodes

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

China has different censorship for each media, books are censored by GAPP, I don't know any writers so idk what that is like but that's what The Three Body Problem would have had to get approved by in 2006/2008 when the book came out.

Movies, in order to show in theaters, need to get a 'Dragon Seal' 龍標 from the CFA. You're going to submit your film and the censor is going to recommend changes, smart to submit when you haven't even begun shooting, and get notes on the script, but generally movies are allowed to skip this step unless you're making a movie about a 'sensitive' topic, like a biopic on Mao or something I guess. There's sort of 'everybody knows you can't do that' rules (all criminals must be shown being punished) and then there's official rules, which include both stuff like you cannot propagate cults, to quality, like the sound can't be out of sync. There have been 70mil budget films that have been completely finished and have cameos from Bruce Willis and Adrien Brody then denied theatrical release mere weeks before opening night. There have been films which complete all the changes and then while submitting for quality control get more creative notes, which of course sue saying it's too late, and win.

Then there's TV which also has its own censorship done by the NRTA. TV in china is usually shot all at once, no renewing seasons, and often with a loose episode count. So you shoot for about 40 episodes worth of content, and plan for 5 seasons of 8 episodes. And then the TV station that ultimately buys it says 'ok but now we want 4 seasons of 12 episodes' so then you reedit the content to create 8 new episodes from nothing and place cliff hangers in new spots. Given the risk falls on the production, before you begin shooting you will certainly clear your content, but that of course doesn't stop censorship from happening after something has already aired.

In all these cases it just takes someo one in the government not liking something for you to get a note. And someone in the government who has your back to get you a pass on stuff most wouldn't be allowed.

Anyway what you're saying, Some Guy TT, sounds like this:

"the ESRB said that Last of Us is a teen game, so the MPAA would never rate a last of us movie as R"

Like it makes no sense. it's a new medium, a new censorship department, new script. And even then, it may be that the three body problem book handled it decently in the context of the pre-Xi Jinping era, yet now that censorship is much much tighter the government would rather remove it since they have a second chance to do so. You've made up a fantasy that once a book gets an OK for how it handled a subject the government will honor any transformation of that book into new mediums by new people.

It's also a notoriously cursed production, a feature film was made in 2017 but I guess the quality of the final film was so bad the producers decided not to release it and just eat the loss. I think I heard there were 2 more attempts to start a series/film which failed before the ones that are releasing now. Luckily it sounds like Tencent got it right, finally.

Edit: what bugged me is you acted smart "why do people think the CCP would go through the trouble of censoring something they already approved in book form". but it is not smart actually it's ignorant. chinese artists absolutely have to worry about this

edit 2: also if you make a film and don't get theatrical approval or make a show that doesn't sell, you will drop it onto streaming which is substantially less regulated. it doesn't necessarily mean your film doesn't get seen just because you can't pass censorship

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 09:51 on Jan 18, 2023

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
drat the last of us show sucks!!! just air the original cutscenes or whatever if you're going to make it look and sound like a video game.

pretty funny / unfortunate how it narratively aligns with anti-lockdown and fema camp stuff though lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Antonymous posted:

"the ESRB said that Last of Us is a teen game, so the MPAA would never rate a last of us movie as R"

i disagree that this is nonsense because the esrb and the mpaa both operate under the logic of actually acting as corporate rubber stampers while the internal policies of both are of course different because theyre different organizations im hard pressed to see any situation where a movie studio that wants a pg13 rated last of us movie doesnt get it of course the actual last of us tv show is rated tv ma by another org entirely but this is less due to the shows actual content and more because hbo max is aiming toward a prestige audience so this is the rating they actually wanted if they had wanted a tv 14 rating im sure they could have gotten it

in regard to china specifically im skeptical that three body problem faced significant censorship challenges mainly because it was a known quantity than because of the specific setup of chinas censorship apparati but i will admit to not knowing much about the specific mechanics of the big budget last minute pulled films you mentioned although i had heard about them its a topic that genuinely interests me and ive often been frustrated how little decent english writing there is on the topic and what little there is just boils down to china homophobically bans gayness from star wars correction technically singapore but were not fixing the headline gently caress you

anyway i appreciated your effortpost plz dont take it personally when i make an ignorant sounding shitpost thats why theyre called shitposts theyre more about trying to be funny than trying to be right and yes i suck at that too shut up

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Strike_(2018_film)

its a very very bad movie which you can find online if you look

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

(guy who watched stalker yesterday voice) this tencent three body problem series is giving off some real stalker vibes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im taking a moment to appreciate that hbo max slash the showrunners probably didnt want masks in the last of us because of antivaxx implications meanwhile netflix went and greenlit a series where the premise is that science isnt real and that scientists are basically priests

it wouldnt at all surprise me to learn that whoever decided to make a three body problem series for netflix had no idea what the story was actually about and just acquired the rights because it checked the right boxes it certainly seems to be a trend these days

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The main premises of 3 body problem is that
A) the barbaric masses need to stay in their places and let the benevolent technocrats run things
B) doubley so for women
C) space foreigners will kill you as soon as look at you

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
i definitely enjoyed the remembrance trilogy, but liu cixin has worse engineer brain than musk

coathat
May 21, 2007

The main premise of the three body problem is that no character acts remotely like a human being and that actions can only occur because of wildly improbable coincidences

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

watched Aftersun last night..... the hype is real, what a film, what a performance by paul mescal, what an ending..... crushing but with many sweet moments.... maybe tops Crimes of the Future for my #1 for 2022

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

im taking a moment to appreciate that hbo max slash the showrunners probably didnt want masks in the last of us because of antivaxx implications meanwhile netflix went and greenlit a series where the premise is that science isnt real and that scientists are basically priests

it wouldnt at all surprise me to learn that whoever decided to make a three body problem series for netflix had no idea what the story was actually about and just acquired the rights because it checked the right boxes it certainly seems to be a trend these days

What show is that?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Some Guy TT posted:

I want to see a Netflix 40k Adeptus Mechanicus show. All Hail the Omnissiah.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

coathat posted:

The main premise of the three body problem is that no character acts remotely like a human being and that actions can only occur because of wildly improbable coincidences

A wizard sophon did it

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1615720764124053506?s=20&t=R1_fR44CT5Sok_2Gp85qjg

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
At some point in that universe, ya gotta just stop making those masks

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

who would win in a fight ghostface or the zombies from the last of us

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't really watch horror movies but tbh the fact that the villain looks literally indistinguishable from a guy in a halloween costume would seem to be an issue

Even the knife looks fake

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Some Guy TT posted:

again antonymous if you would mind explaining what youre talking about

rich

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

coathat posted:

isnt this most classic sci-fi tho

like pasta for sauce, characters are simply delivery methods for the author's ideas

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Durf posted:

like pasta for sauce, characters are simply delivery methods for the author's ideas

this is how I view 3 Body Problem. I'm just here for the hosed up alien/space concepts.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

watched Aftersun last night..... the hype is real, what a film, what a performance by paul mescal, what an ending..... crushing but with many sweet moments.... maybe tops Crimes of the Future for my #1 for 2022

tell me more

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

At some point in that universe, ya gotta just stop making those masks

It's a free speech issue

coathat
May 21, 2007

Durf posted:

Some classic sci-fi would be wooden characters without much depth but the three body problem just has the characters act in completely nonsensical ways for no reason. And the plotting is just abysmal.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

it's about an 11-year-old girl on vacation with her young (30-y-o) divorced/separated father, and also as the film goes on you realize it's about the now grown adult daughter reflecting back on it, about memory and remembrance. the two have a good relationship, they're having a nice time playing pool and going swimming and seeing some sights, but something seems a little off. the film slowly reveals itself through small moments before snapping into place in the final 15 minutes or so and recontextualizing what came before. paul mescal deserves recognition, esp to do what he does in this at only 26, as does the actress who plays his daughter. i'm not sure how much to say as it's really visual experience and a big part of it i think is piecing things together. i rarely cry at movies but i had tears streaming down in the last 5 minutes, esp during one (stunning) sequence in particular (perhaps the scene of the year; the one i'll remember most) which i immediately rewatched and teared up again.

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Jan 18, 2023

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

coathat posted:

Physicists offing themselves bc their theories are being proven wrong as a plot point was something that tipped me off to that when people tell me about the book series.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Some Guy TT posted:

https://pudding.cool/2022/08/censorship/

ignore the tone of this article and look at the actual evidence and youll see that most of the chinese censors crimes against free expression are against racist bigoted jokes that im honestly kind of surprised even survived the american censors of the time they certainly wouldnt today for extra lols the guy who did the compilation defines cousin and animal loving jokes as lgbtq+ representation

I'm not sure why you're surprised, when was the last time the FCC censored any indian jokes? Big Bang reruns still air unedited on broadcast television to this day, much to the detriment of American social values and the moral health of young people.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

loquacius posted:

I don't really watch horror movies but tbh the fact that the villain looks literally indistinguishable from a guy in a halloween costume would seem to be an issue

Even the knife looks fake

the whole thing with Scream is that theyre meta riffs on horror movies and the fandom, the killers in the franchise look like theyre wearing stuff from the halloween aisle of the drug store because they are

not a great knife prop though

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

scientists are basically priests

Canticle for Leibowitz series when?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

DoombatINC posted:

the whole thing with Scream is that theyre meta riffs on horror movies and the fandom, the killers in the franchise look like theyre wearing stuff from the halloween aisle of the drug store because they are

not a great knife prop though

it's scream, that's a fake knife and it's not the real killer

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

redneck nazgul posted:

oh poo poo youre right, thats totally the opening kill that turns out to be a prank and then the real killer shows up at the end, fooled again by Scream!!!!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Matthew Lillard in the last 20 minutes of the first Scream is one of my favorite performances in a horror movie ever

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lol that they gave the scream guy the billowy tassel things from his dead by daylight costume

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

lol that they gave the scream guy the billowy tassel things from his dead by daylight costume

we need a southwestern scream so they can give Ghostface actual tassels on this robe

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

redneck nazgul posted:

, said the character who was about to get murked

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Matthew Lillard in the last 20 minutes of the first Scream is one of my favorite performances in a horror movie ever

yeah he was cast incredibly well and you can see the joy in his eyes at the performance, you rarely see convincing spit talking done so well

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

we need a southwestern scream so they can give Ghostface actual tassels on this robe

chasing someone down a hallway catching doorknobs and knocking over furnishings making that wind sock whipcrack noise the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
aren't most of the screams in southern california, does that not count