Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arivia posted:

I forget where it was but I saw an article peeling back the layers in Windows 11 - here’s an element from 10, this still uses an 8-style picker, that kind of stuff. The article ended with an unholy old ODBC selector still using a Windows 3.1 file picker.

last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a lovely old Buffalo NAS thats the source of my content for Plex. I initially mapped the various folders (tv, movies, music etc) but then they stopped working and Windows tells me I cant have multiple mappings of the same drive. Never been a problem before. Anyone else experience anything similar?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Nobody other than people writing articles cares about whether the ODBC Data Sources configuration tool has an updated interface or not.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

biznatchio posted:

Nobody other than people writing articles cares about whether the ODBC Data Sources configuration tool has an updated interface or not.

The only way to improve on it would be making the window resizable.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

biznatchio posted:

Also the people who had to use the ODBC Data Source configuration recently :negative:

site posted:

that definitely does not happen on my Lenovo
It most certainly does on my X1, but it's still on Win10 so it cant' be 11's fault

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Peachfart posted:

I'm sure this is the most annoying question ever in this thread, but is Windows 11 worth the upgrade from 10 yet? This is my daily driver computer, so I was holding off until 11 was fully stable.

The initial release of Windows 11 had so many UX regressions that were easily re-implemented that it never should have been shipped in that condition. The 11 22H2 edition has basically restored most basic functionality missing from 10, and the UI is generally more pleasant with its more fluid animations and its more mellow alert sounds.

Essentially, there's little reason to stick with Windows 10 now if your system officially supports 11 (though some requirements can be skipped using Rufus).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What’s up with the spinning thinking dots animation. It looks like it was supposed to be a continuous animation loop but they go around and disappear to nowhere, and then reappear from nowhere for the next cycle. Who thinks this is okay, who allowed this to happen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

What’s up with the spinning thinking dots animation. It looks like it was supposed to be a continuous animation loop but they go around and disappear to nowhere, and then reappear from nowhere for the next cycle. Who thinks this is okay, who allowed this to happen.
They fired the spinning dot QA team

they're fixed with Explorer Patcher, at least
vvvvvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 16, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The initial release of Windows 11 had so many UX regressions that were easily re-implemented that it never should have been shipped in that condition. The 11 22H2 edition has basically restored most basic functionality missing from 10, and the UI is generally more pleasant with its more fluid animations and its more mellow alert sounds.

Essentially, there's little reason to stick with Windows 10 now if your system officially supports 11 (though some requirements can be skipped using Rufus).

AFAIK you still can't use text or ungroup icons in the taskbar, or use small icons to effectively resize the taskbar, so some regressions have not been fixed.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

WattsvilleBlues posted:

oh you can ungroup items on the taskbar, and have them show the name of the window? If not, gently caress it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I installed Win11 on my laptop and it's like being in cropped widescreen all the time.

A vertical taskbar makes so much more sense in a wide aspect ratio. Such a waste of space.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

I installed Win11 on my laptop and it's like being in cropped widescreen all the time.

A vertical taskbar makes so much more sense in a wide aspect ratio. Such a waste of space.

Explorer patcher will let you move it to the side if you want. I had to use it to move it to the top in order to cover up the stupid camera hole

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
It's bonkers how features from Windows 95 like positioning the taskbar are gone. Just garbage.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

microsoft is utilizing Telemetry to make sure that features used by a smaller subset of people go away. this is called "data-driven development" and it means you can go gently caress yourself if you want that feature

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

c0burn posted:

It's bonkers how features from Windows 95 like positioning the taskbar are gone. Just garbage.

I have a Windows 98 machine right next to me and you'd be shocked at how much quicker it does basic UI things like "open the start menu" lol

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Tiny Timbs posted:

I have a Windows 98 machine right next to me and you'd be shocked at how much quicker it does basic UI things like "open the start menu" lol

I won't because I do too. You'll pry 3dfx cards and directx 7 from my cold dead hands.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I'm trying to clean install Win11 pro on a new laptop(from the factory the laptop had Win11 Home). I downloaded the multi version ISO from MS directly and created a bootable USB with Rufus. However, during the install there's no menu picker to choose Pro or Home. When the install completes the version installed is Home. I don't mind paying for Pro but how do you clean install Pro? I swear I did this in Jan-2022 the same way and I got Pro.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why'd you use the ISO and Rufus instead of the media creation tool? I've never had this sort of issue

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

codo27 posted:

Why'd you use the ISO and Rufus instead of the media creation tool? I've never had this sort of issue

Just habit. Doesn't it do the same thing?

Oh huh I guess I can just flip a switch in settings. Went to activation settings and put in an old Win10 pro key I wasn’t using and it switched to pro.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 19, 2023

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Last Chance posted:

microsoft is utilizing Telemetry to make sure that features used by a smaller subset of people go away. this is called "data-driven development" and it means you can go gently caress yourself if you want that feature

Ability to have taskbar at the sides was not taken away in 11. It was newer there. The windiws 11 taskbar/start are leftowers of the cancelled windows for dual screen mobile devices meant to run a single app per screen.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's painful how much quicker prior releases are, there's no reason for bloat in such simple areas. My old 3770K with Windows 7 opened task manager way quicker than my 5950X with Windows 10.
I remember last time I was on a 2003 server, I was so taken aback by how fast browsing folders in explorer was, I took a video with my phone, not to mention resizing and dragging Windows. In my experience with those simple things, anything newer is still to this day, worse, no matter what hardware.
It's kind of breathtaking, honestly, it feels like how computers are supposed to feel.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 19, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

HalloKitty posted:

It's painful how much quicker prior releases are, there's no reason for bloat in such simple areas. My old 3770K with Windows 7 opened task manager way quicker than my 5950X with Windows 10.
I remember last time I was on a 2003 server, I was so taken aback by how fast browsing folders in explorer was, I took a video with my phone, not to mention resizing and dragging Windows. In my experience with those simple things, anything newer is still to this day, worse, no matter what hardware.
It's kind of breathtaking, honestly, it feels like how computers are supposed to feel.

What's the reason for this? The worst of it seems to have started with the Windows 8-era new interface stuff, presumably it was written using newer code?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's the reason for this? The worst of it seems to have started with the Windows 8-era new interface stuff, presumably it was written using newer code?

As best as I can tell a lot of GUI sluggishness was introduced with Vista - GDI was no longer hardware accelerated. Windows 7 introduced some GDI hardware acceleration again, but it wasn't significant.
When it comes to all the sluggishness since, I imagine it's largely due to new features written on top of others, but that's just a guess.

Edit: and just to confirm, I did a test by installing Windows 2003 in a VMware player VM, waited for it to install everything (VMware tools for drivers etc) and compared things like resizing columns in services.msc and browsing folders in explorer compared to the actual OS on my machine (win10 21h2). Yup, the snappiness difference is significant, I took a video but I doubt it's that interesting

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 19, 2023

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Id imagine with telemetry every click and drag is being recorded and sent back to MS for *REASONS*

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

I imagine it's largely due to new features written on top of others, but that's just a guess.

This and also all the numerous security/permissions checks. Everything running isolated from everything else.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

The compositing window manager takes a lot more work to run; a classic GDI interface (or QuickDraw on old MacOS) is so much faster in comparison but it's also more limited. No good scaling, no true font independence (remember how badly font scaling used to work?), etc. The modern Explorer is also doing a lot more thumbnailing and information surfacing than the old one.

Apple's spent a huge amount of effort getting their compositing window manager to be 'snappy' (especially for iOS), and Microsoft doesn't seem to have done the work so much.

(For fun's sake I downloaded and ran the old File Manager and holy crap it's fast. But also it's not doing very much, either).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Clicking Start and doing a search or something and having to wait five seconds on my Fast Modern Computer is extremely frustrating.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't have a system with an older OS to compare with, but Windows 11 feels pretty snappy to me. Opening the start menu, browsing folders and loading/navigating right click menus in explorer are instantaneous actions. Resizing windows is also very responsive and snappy. Opening the task manager isn't instantaneous, but it still takes less than a second. I'm struggling to think of how it could be much better. :shrug:

edit: The search can still be frustratingly slow at times, but using any kind of search function was so much worse on older windows versions.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I get kind of OCD'd about UI responsiveness. If I turn off all windows protection bs, my system is basically instant response time. So I think its not the GUI or overhead, its the backend windows BS thats slowing it all down

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If it's the animations that are bothering you, you can turn them off.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Every time I start up my PC (Windows 11) I get these three windows:

Startup Apps doesn't list anything obvious, just a couple things:

Realtek HD Audio Universal Service
Steam
Windows Security Notification icon
iCUE
iCloud Drive
iCloud Keychain
iCloud Status Window

Is there any way to find out what's specifically causing those to pop up short of disabling those few startup apps one at a time and rebooting? Although now that I've written it all down, I do note that there are three offending cmd windows and three iCloud startup items...

e: I don't actually think it's those, the windows only appear intermittently. But I do see that with the latest bios update of my gigabyte motherboard, they're now jamming into my post-startup sequence to try to get me to install their APP Center dogshit, and that little "helper" isn't controlled via Startup Apps:

And if you check that "don't show again" box, hitting cancel means your preference doesn't get recorded. Willing to bet this new "feature" is the actual cause. And turning off this nagware is apparently a setting in the bios, holy hell.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 20, 2023

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Clicking Start and doing a search or something and having to wait five seconds on my Fast Modern Computer is extremely frustrating.

Uninstall Cortana. (Microsoft made it uninstallable in 2020)

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 | Remove-AppxPackage

That is the only big tweak I do for my Win10/11 installs.

EDIT: https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2023/01/17/no-start-menu-for-you/ essentially the modern app crap that is used in internet search likes to crash and is made so the crashes take extremely long time to actually happen.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 20, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Honestly Win 11 has been incredibly responsive for me ever since I did a clean reinstall (which solved my occasional blue screen problems too) and went through the trouble of updating all the important drivers (chipset, GPU, BIOS, etc). I suspect that how modern drivers function is more flexible and modular than ever but also (therefore) more fragile. You should do yourself all the favors you can and let the latest low-level bug fixes and performance improvements make their way onto your machine.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MikusR posted:

Uninstall Cortana. (Microsoft made it uninstallable in 2020)

Uninstall Cortana -> install Tay. :unsmigghh:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Not on my system, uninstall is blanked out.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Not on my system, uninstall is blanked out.

With powershell, the command i posted. What changed is that you can simply install it back from store.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Bad Munki posted:

Every time I start up my PC (Windows 11) I get these three windows:

Startup Apps doesn't list anything obvious, just a couple things:

Realtek HD Audio Universal Service
Steam
Windows Security Notification icon
iCUE
iCloud Drive
iCloud Keychain
iCloud Status Window

Is there any way to find out what's specifically causing those to pop up short of disabling those few startup apps one at a time and rebooting? Although now that I've written it all down, I do note that there are three offending cmd windows and three iCloud startup items...

e: I don't actually think it's those, the windows only appear intermittently. But I do see that with the latest bios update of my gigabyte motherboard, they're now jamming into my post-startup sequence to try to get me to install their APP Center dogshit, and that little "helper" isn't controlled via Startup Apps:

And if you check that "don't show again" box, hitting cancel means your preference doesn't get recorded. Willing to bet this new "feature" is the actual cause. And turning off this nagware is apparently a setting in the bios, holy hell.

Check task scheduler, there is probably a few scheduled tasks in there that run at startup or immediately if missed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Will do, thanks

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

Will do, thanks

If the windows stay up until you close them, open task manager, switch to the details tab, right click on the headers, choose 'select columns', enable 'command line', expand that column so you can see what the prompts where doing. This should reveal the path to whatever they ran, so you can investigate further.

You can also grab the sysinternals tool 'autoruns' which can reveal more about what is really happening at startup/login.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Windows keeps putting an Edge icon on my desktop despite me continuing to delete it, how do I make it stop?