Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
It's a shame that Outer Wilds triggers a kind of lizard-brain terror in certain people to the point that they feel the need to quit. Wouldn't have thought that was a risk in a game with almost no enemies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZOitTGZL7E&t=6744s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It's a shame that Outer Wilds triggers a kind of lizard-brain terror in certain people to the point that they feel the need to quit. Wouldn't have thought that was a risk in a game with almost no enemies.

Genuinely this is why I love let's plays and live streams, is for reactions like that. You can't fake that. That's awesome. What a cool game to actually enable that level of immersion in the first place.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Legit I've been terrified of voids in gaming to the point I put my hands over my eyes ever since the days of accidentally clipping out of walls in Half-Life and seeing the "You Won Solitaire" hall of mirrors span out forever. Voids scare the gently caress outta me even in video games when I'm immersed, and I love outer space. I would chalk it up to vertigo, fear of heights but in X direction.

edit: I fell through the ground once in GTA V and ended up standing at the bottom of a lake where I could walk around freely, but was under water, and it was one of the scariest things that's ever happened to me playing a game

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Jan 18, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Philippe posted:

The Outer Wilds is a lovely cozy little game about dying in space.

It's fine, you just need to solve the mystery and save the day :aaaaa:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I finished simply because I was tired of people ranting about how good the ending was and when I was done I realized that was 22 x N minutes of my life I was never going to get back. I found it so drat boring.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Ecco the dolphin traumatized me and I will never recover

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It's funny to me how generally bad people are with orbital mechanics and gravity. "Hmm yes I'll just park my spaceship here, in one spot above this planet, where it shall surely remain stationary while I step outside for a second."

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I can't even watch this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Decrepus posted:

Ecco the dolphin traumatized me and I will never recover

You might be being sarcastic, but Ecco the Dolphin may well have been an experiment in how scared people are of the ocean. Like, it's basically a gradually increasing intensity of Ocean Fears (including gradually increasing implausibility of said fears). I'm sure you can make some kind of a scientific point about when exactly people started tapping out.

"Play as a dolphin with dolphin friends. You okay? Alright, let's remove the friends. Still good? Okay, now things are dangerous. Now we're going deeper. Now there are big things..."

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 07:20 on Jan 18, 2023

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ZeusCannon posted:

Is it because you can see the bottom? Thats where my fear always kicks in. When I cant.

:same:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

Legit I've been terrified of voids in gaming to the point I put my hands over my eyes ever since the days of accidentally clipping out of walls in Half-Life and seeing the "You Won Solitaire" hall of mirrors span out forever. Voids scare the gently caress outta me even in video games when I'm immersed, and I love outer space. I would chalk it up to vertigo, fear of heights but in X direction.

edit: I fell through the ground once in GTA V and ended up standing at the bottom of a lake where I could walk around freely, but was under water, and it was one of the scariest things that's ever happened to me playing a game

How do you feel about Control?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Morpheus posted:

For me I've found it's not necessarily the water, but the vastness, that gets me on edge.

Water and oceans don't scare me, but fuckin whales do. Yeah, I know that sounds silly, but whales scare the poo poo out of me. They're so loving big. And they're in the water! When I was fiddling with the NVidia Ansel thing in The Witcher III (basically a Photo Mode) I moved the camera into the water and happened to land right in front of a giant fuckin whale. I only ever saw their flukes in the distance, but no, the whole goddamn whale is there and it's huge and terrifying.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

credburn posted:

Water and oceans don't scare me, but fuckin whales do. Yeah, I know that sounds silly, but whales scare the poo poo out of me. They're so loving big. And they're in the water! When I was fiddling with the NVidia Ansel thing in The Witcher III (basically a Photo Mode) I moved the camera into the water and happened to land right in front of a giant fuckin whale. I only ever saw their flukes in the distance, but no, the whole goddamn whale is there and it's huge and terrifying.

This is absolutely a thing in Endless Ocean and it doesn't even help that they explicitly can't hurt you. There's actually a sidequest where you try to get a photo of a blue whale and it's a big challenge just to get the drat thing in frame.

Death Stranding occasionally plays whales for terror of all things.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Morpheus posted:

For me I've found it's not necessarily the water, but the vastness, that gets me on edge. Like, in Outer Wilds I hate Giants Deep of course but also hate when I'm in space and my ship isn't, like, directly next to me. First time I fell into the black hole I needed to pause and catch my breath.
Oh my gosh, yes. I don’t think any other game has given me a physical reaction like that. Navigating around the underside of Brittle Hollow with the black hole looming below me was the most viscerally affecting moment of any game I’ve ever played.

I’m fine with oceans, water, that kind of stuff but the vast and dangerous space in Outer Wilds really gripped me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

I was going to ask if anyone else gets freaked out when they fall out of a level or similar, but there's my answer.

Vertigo's definitely a part of it, but mixed with the uncanny wrongness of being somewhere you're not supposed to be. Or more fundamentally, the basic rules of your virtual presence being thoroughly hosed up.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 11:54 on Jan 18, 2023

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

BurningBeard posted:

Along those lines, Red Faction Guerrilla remains an under appreciated Gen for all the stupid poo poo you could get up to destroying buildings.

Red Faction Guerilla is great for both the catharsis of doing a rescue mission by ramming your truck through the wall of a building and the immense silliness of trying to find out which piese of load bearing drywall is holding up this military base.

Triarii posted:

It's funny to me how generally bad people are with orbital mechanics and gravity. "Hmm yes I'll just park my spaceship here, in one spot above this planet, where it shall surely remain stationary while I step outside for a second."

Most games treat space as just air you have to wear a helmet in. Having to actually account for simulated space physics takes some thought.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

I managed over 100 hours of Assassin's Creed Odyssey without fighting a single shark head on, just sniping them with arrows. Deep ocean lizard brain fear just never goes away, I blame the mario 64 eel.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I didn’t know I had a problem with inky black voids until Abzu asked me to sink into some to get collectibles and I just had a primal terror well up within me while I was doing it

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Flinger posted:

I managed over 100 hours of Assassin's Creed Odyssey without fighting a single shark head on, just sniping them with arrows. Deep ocean lizard brain fear just never goes away, I blame the mario 64 eel.

I did the same but for two different reasons:
1 - Didn't know you could do that
2 - Once I found out it was still less tedious to sit on a rock somewhere and snipe them than fiddle with them underwater

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
So you're telling me Boatman became who he is due to a crippling fear of the ocean? :hmmyes:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I can understand noping out of Outer Wilds anglerfish but I have no idea what people's issue could be with Giant's Deep, where the only life underwater is extremely placid jellyfish who literally don't even react to you; they're mobile geometry more than actual entities with AI. They go up and they go down and that is it. It's a peaceful water world.

(with land that's not attached to the bottom so it'll occasionally get thrown into the sky by tornadoes but that's part of the fun)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Forgotten what you have to do to get to the probe tracker in the bunker down there? You have to willingly enter one of the tornadoes and get sucked into the undertow towards a jellyfish that'll gently float you in its tentacly embrace down toward the part. That's not as peaceful of a ride as it sounds!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Jetamo posted:

So you're telling me Boatman became who he is due to a crippling fear of the ocean? :hmmyes:

Not quite. The first time he was out vigilante-ing he got very hurt, and coming back to Wayne Manor he sat awhile to brood before calling on Alfred to stitch him up. In that moment, a large boat crashed through his window, making Bruce realize that criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot, and he would need to be a symbol of something larger than himself in order to succeed.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Resident Evil Revelations: You use the touch screen to register your fingerprint as a password.

Mamkute has a new favorite as of 08:48 on Jan 19, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Flinger posted:

I just swam past them. They don't do enough damage to actually be dangerous and if you're lunging you can get in and out without actually being bothered very much :v:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The best sharks in AC:Odyssey were the big boat-sized fuckers who would appear while you were doing ship-to-ship boarding and snap up any sailors unlucky enough to be Sparta-kicked overboard :madmax:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The best sharks in AC:Odyssey were the big boat-sized fuckers who would appear while you were doing ship-to-ship boarding and snap up any sailors unlucky enough to be Sparta-kicked overboard :madmax:

Those sharks rule :hai:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CJacobs posted:

Forgotten what you have to do to get to the probe tracker in the bunker down there? You have to willingly enter one of the tornadoes and get sucked into the undertow towards a jellyfish that'll gently float you in its tentacly embrace down toward the part. That's not as peaceful of a ride as it sounds!

It's absolutely a peaceful ride where as long as you're in your ship you literally can't be harmed. I think for the second part they patched it to force you out of your ship to fit but it's still literally just sitting in some moving geometry.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You've kind of missed the point as to why such an experience might be frightening. The glass floors you stand on at the penthouse museum of the sears tower are indestructible too!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

CJacobs posted:

You've kind of missed the point as to why such an experience might be frightening. The glass floors you stand on at the penthouse museum of the sears tower are indestructible too!

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Holy poo poo where is that?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Apparently, it's in China, in the Taihang Mountains. It's a digital effect meant to give tourists a scare.

Which is quite the bold stunt to pull considering that there was an actual glass bridge collapse in China not that long ago.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Thank you

I did the Sears tower glass floor years ago without any trouble, but I think it would bother me more now thanks to heights bothering me more and seeing stuff like this (even if I know that's realistically never gonna happen).

e: lol, caught by a trick. I did remember hearing about actual cases though.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Philippe posted:

Not quite. The first time he was out vigilante-ing he got very hurt, and coming back to Wayne Manor he sat awhile to brood before calling on Alfred to stitch him up. In that moment, a large boat crashed through his window, making Bruce realize that criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot, and he would need to be a symbol of something larger than himself in order to succeed.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
In Civ6, my people discovered and began displaying a piece of the true cross, causing a boost in faith.

It's 3,800 BC. And they worship turtles.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

In Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader, Alfred ribs Bruce about the event, saying "What would have happened if nothing flew through the window, hmm? Would you have become The Drapes?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elfface posted:

In Civ6, my people discovered and began displaying a piece of the true cross, causing a boost in faith.

The Turtle Moves!

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Elfface posted:

some baaad stuffs gonna happen to that turtle, I guess.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Elfface posted:

Clearly it was the cross borne by the Ur-Turtle, used to make the first nest from which all turtles ventured forth from into the great ocean. Or the cross that the first non-believer was nailed to and left on the beach to feed the turtles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think it's pretty clear why a cult dedicated to turtles would venerate a Splinter