Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m 27. I only ever see it used by people talking about their favorite cheesy moments from B-movie style fiction

it's possible it's a California thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

RatHat posted:

Yeah I'm guessing it'll only be a few chapters of the past

But will Frieren and Himmel smooch? Gotta ask the important questions.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean they couldn't have telegraphed it any harder with "There is exactly one weeks worth of memories she has trouble with after using the monument.".

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mulva posted:

I mean they couldn't have telegraphed it any harder with "There is exactly one weeks worth of memories she has trouble with after using the monument.".

I dunno the mention of "the time-travel bird" is also fairly blunt

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

if a something awful poster sees a word they don't understand on the internet* it has to be secret reddit nazi slang or whatever, that's just how this place works

*any slang that was not current from 1990-2008

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mister Olympus posted:

if a something awful poster sees a word they don't understand on the internet* it has to be secret reddit nazi slang or whatever, that's just how this place works

*any slang that was not current from 1990-2008

Deadass.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

CharlestonJew posted:

I thought "kino" was the term PUAs used to describe how good they are at creeping out women

You're not crazy. It was a slang term for first base in PUA back when PUA was in vogue a hot year or two.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ninjoatse.cx posted:

You're not crazy. It was a slang term for first base in PUA back when PUA was in vogue a hot year or two.

you are crazy actually and so is this guy

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
kino as an adjective came from a silly and very relatable meme about how the words film/movie/cinema/flick/joint and "kino" all describe specific kinds of motion pictures despite all actually meaning the exact same thing

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont know when it started getting used more but it confused the hell out of me since I remember some of the German I learned in high school and I couldn't understand why everyone kept comparing things to movie theaters/films

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I am crazy but I've still never heard "kino" used outside of creepy PUA context

the memes have left me behind, I'm getting old now

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
the impression I get is that the use of “kino” to mean “based, but also movie” comes from film twitter, so it’s mostly seen in places adjacent to there. could be totally wrong though

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

pretty sure it started as a 4chan thing

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Well we're tangentially responsible for 4chan starting here so really the whole mess is on us.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I don't think I've ever heard Kino used as slang at all so this entire conversation has been doubly confusing for me

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

CharlestonJew posted:

I am crazy but I've still never heard "kino" used outside of creepy PUA context

the memes have left me behind, I'm getting old now

This discussion was the first time I have heard the word, so I am crumbling into dust.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i wish i could reverse time

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it is twenty three years before patware posted the kino joke

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Patware posted:

i wish i could reverse time
               /

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Patware posted:

it is twenty three years before patware posted the kino joke

I’ve started like two equally bad derails ITT, you’ll live

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

sockpuppetclock posted:

kino as an adjective came from a silly and very relatable meme about how the words film/movie/cinema/flick/joint and "kino" all describe specific kinds of motion pictures despite all actually meaning the exact same thing

5 seconds on google

https://www.liveabout.com/what-does-kino-mean-1021876

Not submitting this as proof of my sanity.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fellis posted:

I’ve started like two equally Kino derails ITT, you’ll live

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fellis posted:

I’ve started like two equally bad derails ITT, you’ll live

Can't derail a thread if we've all gotten off at the station.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ninjoatse.cx posted:

5 seconds on google

https://www.liveabout.com/what-does-kino-mean-1021876

Not submitting this as proof of my sanity.

i've literally never seen kino as pua slang in my life and have only seen it in the cinema sense

guess i'm not hanging out with enough cool pick up artists

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the indie title “friends of ringo ishikawa” draws strong inspiration from the kino-kun series of games.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Patware posted:

i've literally never seen kino as pua slang in my life and have only seen it in the cinema sense

guess i'm not hanging out with enough cool pick up artists

I only know the term as that one lottery gambling game keno.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

every time someone posts in this thread i check it hoping for more news about the hiatus instead of kino discussion

like a fool

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rubellavator posted:

every time someone posts in this thread i check it hoping for more news about the hiatus instead of kino discussion

like a fool

It's dead, jim

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kino feels like something I should've heard Cuno say in Discord Elysium

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

https://twitter.com/abetsukasa/status/1630198165881364483?s=20

Well, the artist is alive and doing sketches so we know that Frieren is about as alive as Ruri Dragon.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Both of them are actually releasing at a breakneck pace... from the perspective of elves and dragons

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 6, 2023

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Toho just posted the first teaser for the series. MADHOUSE is animating it. Scheduled for Fall 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ZEiJyqDKU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Doodles posted:

Toho just posted the first teaser for the series. MADHOUSE is animating it. Scheduled for Fall 2023

Welp; just teared up a little watching that, so that's probably a good sign. It's pretty, and the voice acting seems good. Can't really say much beyond that for such a short PV.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Welp; just teared up a little watching that, so that's probably a good sign. It's pretty, and the voice acting seems good. Can't really say much beyond that for such a short PV.

Apparently the director did Bocchi and the composer handled Violet Evergarden. Not bad signs, those.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Doodles posted:

Looks quite nice, looking forward to it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

chiasaur11 posted:

Apparently the director did Bocchi and the composer handled Violet Evergarden. Not bad signs, those.

Oh. Time to cry.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
A manga leak site says that Frieren will be back on the 22nd of this month.

I'm unsure of the validity but thought folks may want to know.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

https://twitter.com/FRIEREN_PR/status/1635657473402216449?s=20

Frieren is back for 3 chapters.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... why 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Probably the breakpoint for a new volume.